pinnerpsk
    pinnerpsk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 439

Tigers and outfielder Justin Upton agree on a six-year contract worth 132 mil.

Mike Ilitch is really going for it.

TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

Soccer, baseball, basketball, best sports at getting paid. NFL guys are fcked!

pinnerpsk
    pinnerpsk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 439

Ya, If you're a dominant HS football/baseball player why in Earth would you want to play football? Baseball is where it's at.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

Maybe, if you can make it, so many guys stuck in the minors for life, some get a cup of coffee which doesnt equal a contract, over 1200 players drafted last year thats entirely too many.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 316

They got him on the cheap.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Terrible signing. Detroit gonna Detroit. Team is fukked when they are left hanging with Verlander, Cabrera, and now Upton's contract.
    Points Awarded:

19th Hole gave El Nino 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21413

132 million for hitting .251. Sign of the times.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: El Nino

mikewlgm
    mikewlgm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 128

Terrible....just terrible

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    132 million for hitting .251. Sign of the times.
    Detroit paying for a third of the season...you never know when Upton will get hot, usually early though when it's meaningless.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3369

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    They got him on the cheap.
    Are you nuts,132 million is a bargain to you.

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

You don't win championships with guys like this.

lyon804
    lyon804's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1011

Ilitch is going to live out his remaining days without winning the championship looking at all those bloated contracts. Ha at Upton having an opt out after 2nd season. As if he will exercise it.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21413

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    I think that's a little unfair, but is he a superstar cornerstone? No.

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by d2bets View Post
    I think that's a little unfair, but is he a superstar cornerstone? No.
    About five years ago, I expected him to be a superstar. He's not. He's leveled off to being what he is, nothing more than a streaky hitter. He doesn't seem like a guy that'll come through in a big spot against quality pitching. His defense is going to get worse as he ages, too.

MickeyMan
    MickeyMan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14295

Unbelievable

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

last place team

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 271

Didn't they also give up a first round pick to San Diego with this signing? Their farm system is far from being spectacular already.

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

Can I just say I can't wait for baseball season, this is the best sport in America no question about it...

There are some small talks about Rangers getting Lucroy. If this happens I may have to buy a house in GP. Daniels is either a mad genius or is building in a way that I do not understand but this one would be a smash, especially if he gets a reasonable deal from Brewcrew on his contract. They want prospects and as much as I like Gallo, getting a quality catcher not Chirinos and Gimenez platoon would be well worth the reward imho.

Apologies since this is a J-up thread and yea I basically agree with Giant that this really isn't the guy to build a championship around. AZ, ATL, SD all getting that message clear now. I think he is probably worth 15 mill a year with incentives due to his service time and his ability to flat out win you 5-10 games. 6 years is too long imo but makes sense on his end. I hope he does amazing for Detroit but this deal feels like overpay all the way.

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1515

The guy strikes out more than JJ in a bar.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Bluehorseshoe

Ra77er

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9604

Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post
    Terrible signing. Detroit gonna Detroit. Team is fukked when they are left hanging with Verlander, Cabrera, and now Upton's contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikewlgm View Post
    Terrible....just terrible

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Nino View Post

Thread gets it...Unbelievable.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: mikewlgm

Mase of Base
    Mase of Base's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 804

Already been mentioned but he's a walking strike out. Insane decision. Legit d though and that seems like so many of these new contracts are about albeit ridiculous.

19th Hole
    19th Hole's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9604

Let's Go Tigers!!

Ra77er

Building your entire team based on singles isn't bringing home a championship. You need the sluggers and naturally those guys K% is high. J-up 14th K% compared to other hitters like Aroid 25th and Trout 26th in K%.I have no problems with his K% but his power + fielding + durability are solid qualities. I just don't think 21 milfs a year good.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I don't know who's advising Ilitch to make deals like this? Ilitch on his own? Going senile? Dementia?

There were rumors he was going to sell the Red Wings.

Mase of Base
    Mase of Base's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 804

Quote Originally Posted by Ra77er View Post
    Building your entire team based on singles isn't bringing home a championship. You need the sluggers and naturally those guys K% is high. J-up 14th K% compared to other hitters like Aroid 25th and Trout 26th in K%.I have no problems with his K% but his power + fielding + durability are solid qualities. I just don't think 21 milfs a year good.
    Sounds incredible to me, I'd do that for free. Wait what are we talking about?
    Points Awarded:

Ra77er gave Mase of Base 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I don't know who's advising Ilitch to make deals like this? Ilitch on his own? Going senile? Dementia?

There were rumors he was going to sell the Red Wings.
    He has unlimited funds. He doesn't give a shit how much he spends.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Quote Originally Posted by Ra77er View Post
    Detroit has had some of the best sluggers in the league for years.

You win championships being able to go deep and play small ball when needed. But small ball is more important. Singles are more important. Getting on base in general is more important.

Pitching doesn't win championships anymore these days. I said this prior to last year when I picked Royals to win it all. A team that wins it all is a team that has no holes in their lineup. In baseball, one player isn't really all that more important than another. The 3rd hitter in a 7 game series won't really get that many more at bats than the 7 hitter. It's not a huge different. So everyone has to come to play. If you have no holes in your lineup (like kansas city last year, like the cards teams, etc), pitching just has to be solid.

Look who the royals number 8 and 9 hitters were last year -- alex gordon and alex rios. those are solid experienced players that can get on base a lot. Look who the mets 8 and 9 hitters were. Terrible. Not a threat at all to consistently get on base throughout playoffs.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

The good thing is that he's a great defender and Detroit needs better defense. Now with him, igleseus, and kinsler, Detroit has some solid all around defense. J-up will learn how to hit better just playing with Cabrera. Everyone else that's gone to Detroit has seen their hitting numbers rise playing with Cabrera. He's a good teacher. Victor Martinez was injured last year and any money says he hits close to .300 this year. JD Martinez is a star in the making. Mccan at catcher is going to be a stud. Tigers just need a strong bullpen and a few other pieces here and there.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 271

This can do nothing but help Cespedes now. Will get at least a 5 year deal. Last big bat on the market.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post

You win championships being able to go deep and play small ball when needed. But small ball is more important. Singles are more important. Getting on base in general is more important.

Pitching doesn't win championships anymore these days. I said this prior to last year when I picked Royals to win it all. A team that wins it all is a team that has no holes in their lineup. In baseball, one player isn't really all that more important than another. The 3rd hitter in a 7 game series won't really get that many more at bats than the 7 hitter. It's not a huge different. So everyone has to come to play. If you have no holes in your lineup (like kansas city last year, like the cards teams, etc), pitching just has to be solid.

Look who the royals number 8 and 9 hitters were last year -- alex gordon and alex rios. those are solid experienced players that can get on base a lot. Look who the mets 8 and 9 hitters were. Terrible. Not a threat at all to consistently get on base throughout playoffs.
    The good thing is that he's a great defender and Detroit needs better defense. Now with him, igleseus, and kinsler, Detroit has some solid all around defense. J-up will learn how to hit better just playing with Cabrera. Everyone else that's gone to Detroit has seen their hitting numbers rise playing with Cabrera. He's a good teacher. Victor Martinez was injured last year and any money says he hits close to .300 this year. JD Martinez is a star in the making. Mccan at catcher is going to be a stud. Tigers just need a strong bullpen and a few other pieces here and there.
    jesus christ, man.

Still getting dumber by the day I see. There are so many things wrong in these two posts I found myself projectile vomiting near the end.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3369

A strong bullpen means alot in the playoffs,that was always the Tigers achilles heel.

Itsamazing777
    Not interested....
    Itsamazing777's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3374

They have plenty of good hitters. He will fit in

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    He has unlimited funds. He doesn't give a shit how much he spends.
    How does someone have unlimited funds? Does he just print money in the back room now? Not trying to be funny... he even hinted he would sell Detroit Tigers, Little Caesars Pizza, and the Red Wings in one blockbuster deal. Why on earth would a business man say this about a year ago?

12 Last