The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Had a GOOD friend get a DUI last night, any advice?

He's a fukking moron

Great guy though, didn't really see this coming

I don't judge so I just told him he was a dumbass and to find a good attorney

Any other advice?

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

AA.

The Kraken

Anyone here been there, done that, any experiences to share

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16
    FlipsideRM's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3216

Had one when I was 19. Won't ever drive again if I've had 1 beer, thankfully in my city underage can be expunged. Be ready to spend upward of 10 grand for lawyers fees, programs, administration fees, etc. if he sticks to plan and gets it done it shouldn't be a big deal in a year or so. DUI one of most common misdemeanors there is. Tell your buddy to get used to the uber/lyft app.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16121

Good friend named kraken too?

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Quote Originally Posted by Booya711 View Post
    Chi-Archie

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by FlipsideRM View Post
    Had one when I was 19. Won't ever drive again if I've had 1 beer, thankfully in my city underage can be expunged. Be ready to spend upward of 10 grand for lawyers fees, programs, administration fees, etc. if he sticks to plan and gets it done it shouldn't be a big deal in a year or so. DUI one of most common misdemeanors there is. Tell your buddy to get used to the uber/lyft app.
    Gonna be tough, he's a nurse with me and we take A LOT of fukking call together. It's a huge chunk of our income. To take call, gotta be able to get to the hospital

Idiot

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Gonna be tough, he's a nurse with me and we take A LOT of fukking call together. It's a huge chunk of our income. To take call, gotta be able to get to the hospital

Idiot
    Nah no big deal. He can apply for a hardship for work purposes but only work purposes.

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

Duis really are no big deal for first timers, just learn your fuking lesson. No one could ever force me to drive drunk again. Like a bad nightmare on repeat
    Points Awarded:

The Kraken gave FlipsideRM 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Get an apartment close to the hospital?

Hes kinda fukked. I wasn't really kidding about AA. He may be court ordered anyway. If he starts now and gets a logged signed maybe a judge shows a little mercy. Some of those judges are recovering alcoholics too

franklee168
    franklee168's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17017

Loan him $12,000. He/she will need it.

The Kraken

Fortunately, no. Just a solid guy that made a mistake. Don't get me wrong, I've been disproportionately exposed to DUI related accidents, including many with deaths of innocent people, so I'm pretty disappointed. But it's never easy knowing a close friend that you've witnessed do many good things for people is fixing to pay so dearly for a mistake.

HOnestly, is getting a good attorney the best thing to do at this point? Or is it even worth it? Is the punishment the same regardless

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post

Hes kinda fukked. I wasn't really kidding about AA. He may be court ordered anyway. If he starts now and gets a logged signed maybe a judge shows a little mercy. Some of those judges are recovering alcoholics too
    Lol hardship license man. Stop acting like you know what you're talking about. Not hard to apply for one and still drive and do whatever the Fuk you want really as long as you don't get pulled over and have a bad excuse for why you're drivig

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Anyone here been there, done that, any experiences to share
    In the military my folks had a tendency to beat themselves up quite a bit when they got busted (justifiably so) because we had a free cab ride service. We always made sure we had their friends handing nearby to make sure they didn't do something stupid. Sometimes a good attorney can look at the situation and depending on the numbers blown, what the cop did or didn't do etc. he might be able to have the charges downgraded. He may want to try that at the very least because of the damage it can do to his loss of license, possible damage to his car insurance, etc. that depends on the rules in the state

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

A public defender could get you the same result as a high class lawyer in most cases for 1st timers. Auto donk check in

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy

Fortunately, no. Just a solid guy that made a mistake. Don't get me wrong, I've been disproportionately exposed to DUI related accidents, including many with deaths of innocent people, so I'm pretty disappointed. But it's never easy knowing a close friend that you've witnessed do many good things for people is fixing to pay so dearly for a mistake.

HOnestly, is getting a good attorney the best thing to do at this point? Or is it even worth it? Is the punishment the same regardless
    Attorney is a must. You will always get the worst of the worst if you represent yourself or get the shitty court appointed ones.

It's all a corrupt system between the judges and lawyers.

Without an attorney, guaranteed at least some jail time...

The Kraken

Nah no big deal. He can apply for a hardship for work purposes but only work purposes.
    Good stuff! thx

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post

I'll pass this on, thx Dane. Solid advice

grease lightnin
    &
    grease lightnin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3185

Uber

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

I'm trying to tell you as someone who's been there, done that, sold my first car for a good lawyer, etc. I was young and didn't know what I was doing. 1st time duis are as common as herpes these days, no biggie. Judge gonna give the same determination either way

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy

I'm trying to tell you as someone who's been there, done that, sold my first car for a good lawyer, etc. I was young and didn't know what I was doing. 1st time duis are as common as herpes these days, no biggie. Judge gonna give the same determination either way
    Not in Texas

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

Not in Texas
    Florida pretty harsh too... Look it up.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Lol hardship license man. Stop acting like you know what you're talking about. Not hard to apply for one and still drive and do whatever the Fuk you want really as long as you don't get pulled over and have a bad excuse for why you're drivig

Eh...Wasn't just talking about transportation. It does depend on the state. I think Florida is a little easier than others transportation wise. At least for the first. Also depends on variables like Blood alcohol level. You can get past your 1st...you obviously have...but it can leave a mark for a while. Some jobs will shit can you for it.

Now I'll step aside and let the pros handle this. I'm not a dui lawyer
    Last edited by daneblazer; 12-31-15 at 07:54 PM.

Vegas39

Not true at all where I have lived. Maybe FL different. Know several that just got fine and a little community service with a good lawyer in Vegas

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

On numerous offenses I mean*

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy

My point was all states treat DUis differently so he needs to consult someone who has gone through the Washinton system

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

My point was all states treat DUis differently so he needs to consult someone who has gone through the Washinton system
    I gotcha. You're right depends state by state.

kraken you might have said already but what state is this?

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    Not true at all where I have lived. Maybe FL different. Know several that just got fine and a little community service with a good lawyer in Vegas
    Maybe not. I just know, looking back at the experience I feel like I threw away a ton of $ hiring a "good" lawyer for a first time DUI.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy

I gotcha. You're right depends state by state.

kraken you might have said already but what state is this?
    He is in Seattle so Washington

Vegas39

Maybe not. I just know, looking back at the experience I feel like I threw away a ton of $ hiring a "good" lawyer for a first time DUI.
    May be different their and maybe was due to your age as was underage

The Kraken

Arraignment on Saturday

Is that it? He'll know Sat what his punishment is?

The Kraken

And thx to everyone for all the input

TEXAS MICKEY
    TEXAS MICKEY's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4375

Flipper, what state you live in???
    First Timer in Texas, minimum 2 years probation, 90 day suspension of license, 3 day DWI course, psyche exam to determine if you have a drinking problem, depending on how you answer the questions, could get you a mandated 12 weeks in AA. One night for 3 hours at MADD meeting.
    Ask me, been there, done that..............and still didn't get a fukking t-shirt.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

I had a friend years ago hire one for Georgia. You are right, the judge probably going to rule regardless. The lawyer did manage to get him a license back sooner. Was it worth the fees? Probably not

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy

Quote Originally Posted by TEXAS MICKEY View Post
    Flipper, what state you live in???
    First Timer in Texas, minimum 2 years probation, 90 day suspension of license, 3 day DWI course, psyche exam to determine if you have a drinking problem, depending on how you answer the questions, could get you a mandated 12 weeks in AA. One night for 3 hours at MADD meeting.
    Ask me, been there, done that..............and still didn't get a fukking t-shirt.
    At least I got the shirt

FlipsideRM
    Summer 16

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    May be different their and maybe was due to your age as was underage
    Possibly, although you don't want to know what I blew. I was drunk enough to kill 3 elephants. Scary...definitely learned my lesson

123 Last