The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

How Do You Save Money

Who here's on a budget? We've tried countless times and failed each time. Too much work for me. But if anyones done it successfully, how the hell did you stick to it? Was it pen and paper? Excel?

I make a lot of money and spend a lot of money. I'm a comfort junkie and will spend money to be comfy, regardless if it's scarfs, beanies, gloves, warm socks, good food, $3k chair, vacations, fly fishing trips, the nicest gym in town etc.....

So I'm curious how you all save money to see if I can implement it in my daily routine

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Shop at Walmart

Use a 2% cash back CC

Buy things online - save state tax. 6% off every item

Several things you can do.

THam12
    Money is the motivation!
    THam12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    Shop at Walmart

Use a 2% cash back CC

Buy things online - save state tax. 6% off every item

Several things you can do.
    You still pay state tax on alot of things you buy online....

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

life to short

spend it

Hard to save money unless you clear over $60,000 a year anyway

The Kraken

No WalMart in Seattle, Seattle is expensive as fukkf from the grocery store to rent. I could always move but like it here right now.

But honestly even if there was WalMart here, I wouldn't shop there, Target is the lowest I will go. Like I said, I'm a comfort junkie and WalMart is uncomfortable for me. I would rather shop at Metro Market and spend twice as much on quality product and a nice atmosphere.

I love the CC idea and already do that, we put a lot of money on our CC each month so it adds up. We usually use the CC with airline miles.

WA doesn't have state tax, but I still buy stuff from Amazon when I can, groceries and household items included.

Thanks for the input TMS

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    life to short

spend it

Hard to save money unless you clear over $60,000 a year anyway
    Ya, I guess that is likely true

THam12
    Money is the motivation!

Here's something I heard which seems very old school....
    Every time you come across a $5 bill.. Put it away.

Regardless of when. If its in your pocket at end of day, save it in a box or something. Check after months or years or whatever to see how much you have saved without even really knowing it.

Can also check into your banks round up program if they have it... Every time you purchase something, say its $4.65, they automatically transfer .35 to savings account for you to put away. Again, without even knowing it

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by THam12 View Post
    Here's something I heard which seems very old school....
    Every time you come across a $5 bill.. Put it away.

Regardless of when. If its in your pocket at end of day, save it in a box or something. Check after months or years or whatever to see how much you have saved without even really knowing it.

Can also check into your banks round up program if they have it... Every time you purchase something, say its $4.65, they automatically transfer .35 to savings account for you to put away. Again, without even knowing it
    Tham I love stuff like this. In reality, I could just login to online banking and tuck $5 away into my savings, but that's no fun. There is certainly a psychological element to what you're saying.

Problem with me is I hardly use cash anymore.

I went to the ATM the other day and had to ask my wife for the PIN

TheMoneyShot

You still pay state tax on alot of things you buy online....
    I do?

That's the businesses problem. Not mine.

THam12
    Money is the motivation!

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Tham I love stuff like this. In reality, I could just login to online banking and tuck $5 away into my savings, but that's no fun. There is certainly a psychological element to what you're saying.

Problem with me is I hardly use cash anymore.

I went to the ATM the other day and had to ask my wife for the PIN

I know. I was gonna try it but then remembered I don't use cash much...
    Should see about the rounding up thing. It adds up quickly.

THam12
    Money is the motivation!

Quote Originally Posted by TheMoneyShot View Post
    I do?

That's the businesses problem. Not mine.
    Yes, for the most part. Sites usually add tax based on your state when you check out

rake922
    rake922's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2105

for every dollar I spend I put 1 dime onto a piece of tape. I then take that tape and eject it onto a seed on Friday

TheMoneyShot

Yes, for the most part. Sites usually add tax based on your state when you check out
    Well... some don't.

1. If you buy something inside your state... and it's shipped inside your state. By law... you must pay state tax.

2. If you buy something out of state.... as long as that business doesn't do business inside your state... they don't charge state tax.

TheMoneyShot

Another example is Amazon.com

They never charged state tax before in Michigan. This change about 2 months ago. Too many people are buying all their household items at amazon... saving state tax.

Amazon has received threats from several states... including Michigan... to hold onto State Tax $

If every small business held onto everyone's state tax.... all 50 states... for the entire year... you know how much accounting goes into play? Laughable.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16097

My work pays all my bills so luckily I don't have to worry about saving

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13164

My wife siphons off money every month to various savings/mm/529 accounts in addition to the 401k I contribute to. I think the automatic savings plans are the way to go. The richest man in Babylon concept.

vividjohn45
    vividjohn45's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Who here's on a budget? We've tried countless times and failed each time. Too much work for me. But if anyones done it successfully, how the hell did you stick to it? Was it pen and paper? Excel?

I make a lot of money and spend a lot of money. I'm a comfort junkie and will spend money to be comfy, regardless if it's scarfs, beanies, gloves, warm socks, good food, $3k chair, vacations, fly fishing trips, the nicest gym in town etc.....

So I'm curious how you all save money to see if I can implement it in my daily routine
    401k and on my w2. There is a line for irs to take extra money out of each check. Which is given back lump sum refund check. This works fine

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Quote Originally Posted by vividjohn45 View Post
    401k and on my w2. There is a line for irs to take extra money out of each check. Which is given back lump sum refund check. This works fine
    If you hate money, do this.

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Quote Originally Posted by gauchojake View Post
    If you hate money, do this.
    Look at source he is same idiot that gave Opie his CC#

VeggieDog
    VeggieDog's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 20385

I quit drinking about three months ago. Saves me a bundle.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Quote Originally Posted by vividjohn45 View Post
    Having the IRS take out money an give it back to you at the end of the year is extremely -EV. Pay tax now, get back money that is worth less and gained zero interest. Better off putting the money directly into a Roth IRA from your pay check. $211 a pay check should max out a Roth. Do that on top of maxing out your 401K and you will retire a multi-millionare.

As far as ways to save money, quit going out to eat. People waste a ton of money doing that + the tip. You're paying 200-400% more for a meal you can make yourself in 30 min.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    Maybe that was the only option at the time to go PRO.

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Maybe that was the only option at the time to go PRO.

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    This can't be true??

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Quote Originally Posted by Booya711 View Post
    This can't be true??
    vegas remembers everything

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy

vegas remembers everything
    What's your SSN# Jaker? Thanks pal

Hu$tle
    Hu$tle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1247

Trick/train yourself to hate to spend money. Best way to do this is have the self control not to spend it on luxuries, only necessities. If you cannot do it yourself, move it to an account where you will force yourself to never take it out of. Live frugal, buy bargain. Don't splurge, buy value. Feel free to spoil yourself once in a while but don't spoil all your hard earned money away.

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma

Quote Originally Posted by Booya711 View Post
    What's your SSN# Jaker? Thanks pal
    PM sent

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Just like trying to lose weight....moderation is key so that you don't feel too trapped that you can't sustain that lifestyle. Spend and have fun just cut down on the bullshit you don't really need

Just think if this or that purchase is worth it related to meeting your goal of saving....After a while it will become second nature and it adds up

freeVICK
    freeVICK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6483

Rent out a room if you have an extra one. Kinda sucks, but I'm single and going to save $10k a year. And my roommate is pretty cool

The Kraken

Yep, i agree with you guys MLD and Hu$tle

Mind over matter

I've read a lot about addiction, and in some way, i can view my love of comfort and spendong money as an addiction.

And to piggyback off what you guys are saying, the most effective method to breaking an addiction is develop an aversion to the trigger, become averse to comfort or spending money.

But this is where I bcome conflicted, I love comfort and don't want to compromise, behaviour modification scares me. I don't want to become averse to luxuries because I enjoy them so much.

This stuff is a bit off topic because it ultimately leads to me confronting the real problem, which Im not looking to do.

Im just looking for fun things to try like saving all $5 bills and putting dimes on a strip of tape

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy

Yep, i agree with you guys MLD and Hu$tle

Mind over matter

I've read a lot about addiction, and in some way, i can view my love of comfort and spendong money as an addiction.

And to piggyback off what you guys are saying, the most effective method to breaking an addiction is develop an aversion to the trigger, become averse to comfort or spending money.

But this is where I bcome conflicted, I love comfort and don't want to compromise, behaviour modification scares me. I don't want to become averse to luxuries because I enjoy them so much.

This stuff is a bit off topic because it ultimately leads to me confronting the real problem, which Im not looking to do.

Im just looking for fun things to try like saving all $5 bills and putting dimes on a strip of tape
    Can't take the shit with you kraken so fukk it...enjoy it

The Kraken

to that Booya

I believe moderation leads to balance, but moderation is like equilibrium in Chemistry, a state that is constantly re-achieved, never a state that is simply achieved and maintained.

Point being, I agree with you and in my journey to reach moderation, or equilibrium, I tend to stray towards what you said. Aint taking none of it with me.

I like the way you think

No budgeters?

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyLineDawg View Post
    Just like trying to lose weight....moderation is key so that you don't feel too trapped that you can't sustain that lifestyle. Spend and have fun just cut down on the bullshit you don't really need

Just think if this or that purchase is worth it related to meeting your goal of saving....After a while it will become second nature and it adds up
    Theres a dozen or so guys here I hope to meet one day, you're high on my list
    Points Awarded:

MoneyLineDawg gave The Kraken 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Rich Boy
    Rich Boy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1106

Earning money is easy but saving is difficult
    We live in a society that is obsessed with material goods but most of it is worthless

Personally I'm not a big spender. I dont like to blow cash on pointless things. The things I do splurge on I want them to last ie. nice car, bike, TV etc.

Things like vacations, expensive hotels, flying first class etc - those are things i like to cheap out on because the value is only short lived

123 Last