MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Lets talk about the big12: Title game reintroduction and expansion?

Sounds like we are at least a few years away from the reintroduction of the Big12 title game. Membership seems against it which is a real head scratcher. If the Big12 was snubbed again I think it would have sped up the process but Oklahoma's inclusion this year will likely give the championship game nay-sayers all the ammunition they need for the next 365 days.

Sounds like they also require the NCAA making some exceptions to the rules to reintroduce the title game. That or the expansion back to 12 teams.

The question there is: who are the logical candidates to move to big12?

Nebraska and A&M sure as hell aren't coming back anytime soon. Current members of SEC west in no hurry to leave, though honestly a team like LSU would do much better in Big12 and still fits within the geographic theme (excluding West Virginia who was essentially desperate for whoever would take them following the collapse of the Big East.)

So, who do you think would potentially benefit and desire joining the big12? Who has the chops to play in a power 5? I don't see any member of a current power 5 moving there so it essentially comes down to top mid major teams.

My thoughts are:
    Houston
    BYU
    Western Kentucky
    Boise State

Boise and BYU are a bit of a stretch geographically but I don't really think that matters.

Houston and WKU (to a lesser extent) would be nice additions that would add to the idea that the Big12s top teams are these run and gun teams that like to get into shootouts. I think they would be a good fit.

Steps to success
    1. Add Houston and BYU.
    2. Bring back championship game
    3. Stop scheduling such garbage OOC games (though this could be said for 75% of power conference teams)
    4. Profits

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

houston would make sense ...Boise should be a PAC-12 team ...byu wants to stay independent

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    houston would make sense ...Boise should be a PAC-12 team ...byu wants to stay independent
    Boise to Pac and Ship Colorado to big 12

teaserpleaser

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas39 View Post
    Sounds good to me.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    Yes that makes way more sense geographically. BYU needs to get head out of ass and join a damn conference already. Though new mormon driven TV deal will prevent that for a number of years.

Colorado not going back. It would be like breaking up with a girl, fukking her sister and then asking for her to take you back two days later when she knows full well what you and Jen did.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out

I would love to work for NCAA. I love conference realignment and all things that surround it.

Vegas39

Its about money MO never say never

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out

Its about money MO never say never
    Even when Jen is much more attractive and doesn't require traveling to Texas and Oklahoma frequently?

As a west coaster yourself, I think you can understand why the she is more attractive option.

Vegas39

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoneyMoVaughn View Post
    Even when Jen is much more attractive and doesn't require traveling to Texas and Oklahoma frequently?

As a west coaster yourself, I think you can understand why the she is more attractive option.
    Rather have a more competitive team to bolster entire conference

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito
    frogsrangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5421

Houston adds nothing to the conference. If they were a viable option they would have already been added. But they bring nothing to the table. The Texas schools don't want another Texas school, the non-Texas schools also don't want another Texas school. They will not be added.

As a Big 12 person myself, I have been on the BYU/Boise State bandwagon for a while now.

Big 12 West: BYU, Boise State, Texas, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor
    Big 12 East: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, West Virginia

9 game conference schedule. Oklahoma-Texas is a protected cross-division rivalry and the others rotate.

Or you could add USF and UCF.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Houston and Western Kentucky are No brainer additions. Texas needs teams it can beat..............Boise and BYU would be top tier teams in the conference on day ONE. Not what the big 12 is looking for. They just want fodder for a championship game............nothing more. As was shown yesterday..............two divisions doesn't mean both sides will be good. Florida was a disgrace representing the SEC East yesterday and Iowa doesn't make it to Indy if they are on the other side with OSU, Sparty, and University of Khakis.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out

Quote Originally Posted by frogsrangers View Post
    Houston adds nothing to the conference. If they were a viable option they would have already been added. But they bring nothing to the table. The Texas schools don't want another Texas school, the non-Texas schools also don't want another Texas school. They will not be added.

As a Big 12 person myself, I have been on the BYU/Boise State bandwagon for a while now.

Big 12 East: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, West Virginia

9 game conference schedule. Oklahoma-Texas is a protected cross-division rivalry and the others rotate.

I don't think thats fair to say. They have been a solid team for the better part of last 10 years with bowl wins against Penn State, Pittsburgh in the last 5. They are better than more than a couple current Big12 teams.

As far as not wanting an additional Texas school I am not sure I get that. Granted I am not a big12 guy, just an outside observer. Just feel like it makes more sense than the Florida schools that you mentioned.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Quote Originally Posted by frogsrangers View Post

Probably would be the best geographically correct conference there is if that happens. Although geography went out the window a long time ago. Think about it. SEC West has Texas AM, SEC East has Missouri. Think about it. Maryland is in the Big 10, an east coast team in a midwest conference. Nebraska shouldn't be in the Big 10 either. Money grab 101. Cinncy better get their shit together soon or they will be in a shit load of trouble. Already fading off the map and becoming a school that only gets a coach for two or three years, not a destination job anymore.

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 358

BYU would help. Being a former Mormon, not only does it get them back in the Mountain time zone, after losing Colorado, but it adds a national flavor especially since they are another school with their own national network. Other than geographically, Houston doesn't help them. Too many teams in one state. That's what eventually killed off the old SWC. The main purpose of expansion nowadays is covering more TV markets. Big 12 is already on TV in Houston.

I know their program sucks, but I would consider Tulane. They are a former SEC team (albeit they left them in 1966), in a semi-large demographic with an enrollment of over 13,000 students. Their stadium only holds 30,000 people, but they do have the ability to expand it. Vanderbilt is in the SEC, but only has a capacity of around 40,000.

Cincinnati Bearcats would be another possibility. Another large demographic that would give West Virginia a regional playmate.
    Last edited by Mr KLC; 12-06-15 at 02:33 PM.

Vegas39

Speaking of big 12. Obviously TCU should be at lest 7 point faves in Alamo bowl

GoBlue23
    Penetrate
    GoBlue23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3169

Money is the driving factor which means entering new markets is key

Houston adds nothing in this sense but are a geographic fit and quality team

USF will be the main target along with UH and maybe Boise as the backup IMO

Buffalo Nickle
    Buffalo Nickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 878

Big 12 would be insane to expand unless they can get back Nebraska, A&M or somehow get Arkansas to come on board.

Houston will never be added to the conference because it would be a recruiting bonanza for them. There is just too much talent there to allow them to play with the big boys even though they clearly qualify and should have gotten in over a little private school like TCU or adding West Virginia which is not even in the region. With conference money and prestige, UH would be better than WVa. But that's the whole point of leaving them out..

I really do not understand the whole conference championship fixation with the Big 12. This year is a perfect example of why having a championship game would not be a good thing for them as Baylor could have gotten knocked out by TCU. Your best team has its best chance of getting knocked out in a championship game.

BYU would be a decent addition but why would these schools want to share their millions with these tiddly-wink schools? If they could land a big fish, you maybe add BYU to make it an even number if no other candidates exist.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out

I have realized that adding UH doesn't make any sense thanks to this thread.

Despite this, no current P5 team is going to move / return to the Big12. Just doesn't make sense.

Re: championship game importance, I think the way the CFP has shaped out (admittedly in only two years) essentially you just have the conference champion for 4 of the P5 going every year. I would be very surprised to see anything different pan out in the future. The big12 title game would bolster their chances of having an annual bid. Big12 left out last year, Stanford being the unlucky 5th man out with their two losses. Last year was actually much more controversial because of the 6 undefeated / 1 loss teams in the mix. I think with a twelfth win and conference championship for Baylor or TCU, there is a much better chance that we may have seen the big10 snubbed.

TCU's only loss was @ #5 Baylor. Ohio's was at home vs #8 VT. I think if TCU avenged the loss in a championship game they would have gotten the spot over OhioSt (though this wouldn't be possible as they would likely be in the same division if the Big12 was to expand to 12 and add divisions).

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

I have realized that adding UH doesn't make any sense thanks to this thread.

Despite this, no current P5 team is going to move / return to the Big12. Just doesn't make sense.

Re: championship game importance, I think the way the CFP has shaped out (admittedly in only two years) essentially you just have the conference champion for 4 of the P5 going every year. I would be very surprised to see anything different pan out in the future. The big12 title game would bolster their chances of having an annual bid. Big12 left out last year, Stanford being the unlucky 5th man out with their two losses. Last year was actually much more controversial because of the 6 undefeated / 1 loss teams in the mix. I think with a twelfth win and conference championship for Baylor or TCU, there is a much better chance that we may have seen the big10 snubbed.

TCU's only loss was @ #5 Baylor. Ohio's was at home vs #8 VT. I think if TCU avenged the loss in a championship game they would have gotten the spot over OhioSt (though this wouldn't be possible as they would likely be in the same division if the Big12 was to expand to 12 and add divisions).
    Might possibly go down as the worst CFP snub ever. A team loses 1 game to the #5 ranked team and gets left out.

Teams that got in over them were Oregon who lost to unranked Arizona, an FSU team that everyone knew was overrated but honestly they were the defending champs and undefeated, so they had to be let in. Then there was Alabama who lost to #11 ole miss, and OSU who lost to unranked VT.

So two teams lose to unranked teams, the third loses to #11 team, and they leave out the team that loses to #5

On the flip side of the coin is OU this year losing to unranked Texas and OSU/Iowa being left out. So at least they're consistent.

Buffalo Nickle

UH does make sense for the conference but not if you are Texas and Texas A&M and you want to own the Houston recruiting market. A&M is gone now but there was no way they were going to allow Houston in the conference. Texas has problems enough as it is.

Houston has really gotten hosed by Baylor and TCU getting in the Big 12.

I don't think it is impossible that Nebraska could come back in 10 years or so. They would like to get back in the Texas recruiting market and the whole Nebraska thing is kind of running out of steam.

Economic downturn and shortage of energy might force these schools to get more regional in the future. That's a long way off. If the players start getting paid at some point, no telling what happens. This shit ain't gonna last forever. You never know what the future holds and it is always full of surprises.

There is also going to come a time when these conferences realize they have overexpanded and they are going to start kicking teams and out like the Mountain West did a few years back when they killed off the WAC.
    Last edited by Buffalo Nickle; 12-07-15 at 11:37 AM.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Might possibly go down as the worst CFP snub ever. A team loses 1 game to the #5 ranked team and gets left out.

Teams that got in over them were Oregon who lost to unranked Arizona, an FSU team that everyone knew was overrated but honestly they were the defending champs and undefeated, so they had to be let in. Then there was Alabama who lost to #11 ole miss, and OSU who lost to unranked VT.

So two teams lose to unranked teams, the third loses to #11 team, and they leave out the team that loses to #5

On the flip side of the coin is OU this year losing to unranked Texas and OSU/Iowa being left out. So at least they're consistent.
    I agree. Would have been close but I think TCU deserved the spot over Ohio state. The committee stresses the importance of which team is "at the time" playing the best football, but TCU went 4-1 against ranked teams over the course of the season and Ohio state only played 2 ranked teams all season. Just doesn't make sense. Both teams won huge in their final game but I think just the way the schedule worked out really hurt TCU as they played ISU and Ohio state played Wisconsin. If any of TCU's wins against ranked teams had happened as their final game of the season (all the more reason for championship game) I think TCU would have been in for sure. They were a victim of their front loaded schedule. If texas had been better that season, it also would have helped their cause.

They they go and drub Ole Miss, another ranked team, the one that beat bama, 42-3 in the peach bowl.

The Kraken

Cincinati? They're in a big TV market, great bball team.

Boise has a terrible TV market, If they haven't been asked in yet, I doubt they will.

UCF gets the Big 12 down into Florida.

Houston makes sense geo wise, good TV market. But Buffalo Nickel makes good points

BYU has been trying hard for a while

I wouldn't be surprised if the Big 12 is "forced" to go to 12, if they add BYU and either Cincinati or UCF

Buffalo Nickle

I can't imagine the Big 12 being dumb enough to add Cincinnati or any of the teams mentioned other than BYU.

Is Cincinnati really a good TV market? If you are Texas, why do you want to give them some of your money? Getting Florida State makes sense but UCF? That would be pretty weak.

The Big 12 doesn't seem all that interested in having a championship game and seem to recognize it doesn't do them all that much good. If anything, they will probably just play a jackass championship game with their second place team. They will televise it so why not? Better than adding Cincinnati or UCF. I mean people in their own state don't take those schools seriously.

I think what you will probably see if Texas decides they want a championship game is to head for the SEC or Pac-12. That's how you get the dollar figures even higher. Texas is the Big 12. They make all the decisions.
    Last edited by Buffalo Nickle; 12-07-15 at 12:09 PM.

chico2663
    chico2663's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6713

the natural fit is uc and central florida. uc upgraded their facilities and would be good travel partner with w.va.and central florida brings in florida. western ky doesn't have the facilities although denny green being asst coach back in the 70's is cool. Also uc is a good basketball school

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Nickle View Post
    I can't imagine the Big 12 being dumb enough to add Cincinnati or any of the teams mentioned other than BYU.

Is Cincinnati really a good TV market? If you are Texas, why do you want to give them some of your money? Getting Florida State makes sense but UCF? That would be pretty weak.

The Big 12 doesn't seem all that interested in having a championship game and seem to recognize it doesn't do them all that much good. If anything, they will probably just play a jackass championship game with their second place team. They will televise it so why not? Better than adding Cincinnati or UCF. I mean people in their own state don't take those schools seriously.

I think what you will probably see if Texas decides they want a championship game is to head for the SEC or Pac-12. That's how you get the dollar figures even higher. Texas is the Big 12. They make all the decisions.
    The way I understand it is that if the Big 12 goes to 12 teams, their TV contract states that all 12 teams shares will stay the same. Basically, as they add more teams, their payments grow proportionally.

They would have to share bowl money, tourney money, etc....... But I think it's the TV money that is the motivating factor here

chico2663

byu won't play on sundays .so you are going to change your whole conference dynamics for 1 school. also cincy is like the 22nd largest market for television. Also it allows the schools to get in ohio market which has probably the best high school conference the gcl.Do your research on the conference.kuechly, staubach, rudolph to name a few also chris carter and few others went to public school
    Last edited by chico2663; 12-07-15 at 12:38 PM.

Buffalo Nickle

The shares stay the same but I don't think ESPN is going to add 17 million each for UCF and Cincinnati with their contract. So Texas is going to reduce the amount they receive to take these teams.

These schools don't add dollars. They'd have to be desperate to add a championship game. I don't think they are going to get that desperate.

When they added WVa and TCU, they had their conference blown up and needed a couple of teams. Those were the ones with the most prestige at the time so they let them in. They are going to be pretty choosey going forward.

The way I understand is that ESPN paid the 12 teams $17 million or whatever it was. The teams left and the question became is ESPN still going to pay the $17 million for this watered down conference. EsPN said, it's OK. We are still going to pay at 10 teams.

Now if you add two more teams, ESPN does not say, we are going to pay these teams $17 million. They might if they like the teams. You are going to give some of your $17 million to these teams.

But realistically, you want to add Nebaska or Notre Dame and then say "hey, how about $20 million?"
    Last edited by Buffalo Nickle; 12-07-15 at 12:48 PM.

Buffalo Nickle

You've also got to consider that the Big 12 is pretty damn boring with Iowa State, Kansas, West Virginia and TCU. TCU is good now but that is not going to last.

Now you are going to have these boring teams plays Cincinnati and UCF. That's basically unwatchable. The conference needs heavy hitters. It's got the last place teams in place.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out

Quote Originally Posted by chico2663 View Post
    byu won't play on sundays .so you are going to change your whole conference dynamics for 1 school. also cincy is like the 22nd largest market for television. Also it allows the schools to get in ohio market which has probably the best high school conference the gcl.Do your research on the conference.kuechly, staubach, rudolph to name a few also chris carter and few others went to public school
    Do college teams ever play on Sunday during the regular season?

Buffalo Nickle

Sunday basketball is the issue. Seems it would be easy enough to schedule around but ESPN has red lighted BYU for that reason.

BYU being a school that you cannot control with money is probably another. They probably see them as troublemakers.
    Last edited by Buffalo Nickle; 12-07-15 at 02:08 PM.

chico2663

basketball

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out

Quote Originally Posted by Buffalo Nickle View Post
    Sunday basketball is the issue. Seems it would be easy enough to schedule around but ESPN has red lighted BYU for that reason.

BYU being a school that you cannot control with money is probably another. They probably see them as troublemakers.
    Quote Originally Posted by chico2663 View Post
    basketball
    Ah shit you are right. For some reason I have been ignoring all sports but football. Surely playing on Sundays can be avoided can it not? They are able to do it within the WAC for hoops.

Just checked and Kansas, Oklahoma and Baylor all have 0 sunday games scheduled this year. Definitely possible.

teaserpleaser

Cfb does every once and awhile usually conference USA

chico2663

basketball
    tourney

chico2663

big 12 i think finishes on sunday

12 Last