Betpoints: 5652

5-7 teams will make bowl games this year

Missouri already passed on their bowl game

too many bowls? What do you think

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Missouri needs to find a coach. Damn the bowl game and the 15 practices.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Bowl games are not bad

Good for program

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Bowl games are not bad

Good for program
    Not always. I read somewhere a few years ago that it can be cash negative for some teams depending on location, even if they win. Take the New Mexico Bowl for example. Say shitty Rutgers or somebody like that makes it. They have to fly the team, staff, the band, and are required to spend money for x amount of tickets for family members, and a few other costs just to get everyone there. It ends up being a break-even at best, a loss at worst.

Plus, nobody who's not a gambler or already a fan of those teams even watches the New Mexico Bowl. So this added "exposure" is overrated.

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post

Nah, I like all of the bowl games myself, but I'm probably in the minority. It's depressing when a 5-7 team is there, or nobody is in the stands, but I've always really liked it, even the smaller ones.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 107

What a joke, I mean if you can't at least go .500 you shouldn't be in any kind of post season. Can't wait to see two shit schools fight it out in the clorox bleach toilet bowl in front of 17 fans. Should be epic

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273617

the joke is those NCAA hoops tourneys nobody even knows the name of that are not NCAA or NIT. what are they called? CEI? CSI? ACT?, DNR? WTF?
    Last edited by trytrytry; 12-01-15 at 05:03 PM.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post

Why did they pass aren't bowl games big money for the university?gifts for the players? A Decent experience all around.

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    Why did they pass aren't bowl games big money for the university?gifts for the players? A Decent experience all around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    Not always. I read somewhere a few years ago that it can be cash negative for some teams depending on location, even if they win. Take the New Mexico Bowl for example. Say shitty Rutgers or somebody like that makes it. They have to fly the team, staff, the band, and are required to spend money for x amount of tickets for family members, and a few other costs just to get everyone there. It ends up being a break-even at best, a loss at worst.

Plus, nobody who's not a gambler or already a fan of those teams even watches the New Mexico Bowl. So this added "exposure" is overrated.

Possible explanation. Plus Mizzou is such a mess right now, they need to get themselves right before doing anything.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

It says New Mexico bowl payout is 900k is that for both schools involved to split?

Otters27
    Otters27's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Nebraska

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

It says New Mexico bowl payout is 900k is that for both schools involved to split?
    probably so cant see 1.8 paid out on that bowl

trytrytry
    All I do is trytrytry
    trytrytry's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 273617

Minnesota gophers would grab one if offered.

CappinTerp
    CappinTerp's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

This is crazy!!!!....Something has to be done! Forty Bowls...that's 80 teams,only 75 teams with 6 or more wins. Here is the problem( 1 of many) A team with only 5 wins goes to a bowl,the coach has in his contract that if team goes to a bowl he gets a $125,000 bonus !! Will the school say " coach you don't deserve it"...we need the $ for non-revenue sports.....But they have to pay him!!​ This is just crazy!!!

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Lesser bowls remind me of participation trophies. I'm for it, if anyone wants one. But also glad teams opt out.

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by CappinTerp View Post
    This is crazy!!!!....Something has to be done! Forty Bowls...that's 80 teams,only 75 teams with 6 or more wins. Here is the problem( 1 of many) A team with only 5 wins goes to a bowl,the coach has in his contract that if team goes to a bowl he gets a $125,000 bonus !! Will the school say " coach you don't deserve it"...we need the $ for non-revenue sports.....But they have to pay him!!​ This is just crazy!!!
    Yeah, I forgot to factor that cost in too.

On second thought, eliminate like 3 of them. A good place to start.

For the players, they do like it. You get a pretty sweet ring if you win. I was playing poker next to a guy who was wearing a Sun Bowl ring, and another minor bowl game ring that I can't remember. Both were really nice.

El Nino
    October 2014 POTM
    El Nino's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1868

Pretty sure the conference the team is in gets a chunk too.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Its it's been a tough year for them. I think they're ready to move on from it with a new coach. I think they asked the SEC and the conference granted it

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

New Mexico Bowl is the only bowl game I watch. Because everyone hates to be there. Love the looks of fans in the stands. I spend $2,000 for tickets, air fare and hotel to watch the New Mexico Bowl.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by CappinTerp View Post
    It's simple. If it's a money loser for the school based on contracts or whatever, they can choose not to go.

BuckyOne
    BuckyOne's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19261

Possible explanation. Plus Mizzou is such a mess right now, they need to get themselves right before doing anything.
    Maybe, some kind of "get even" for the boycott that happened???

chaka
    chaka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11152

Quote Originally Posted by unde0087 View Post
    What a joke, I mean if you can't at least go .500 you shouldn't be in any kind of post season. Can't wait to see two shit schools fight it out in the clorox bleach toilet bowl in front of 17 fans. Should be epic
    Grab anyone Put a line on it each pick a side and all of a sudden its interesting..the beauty of gambling

Ralphie Halves

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    New Mexico Bowl is the only bowl game I watch. Because everyone hates to be there. Love the looks of fans in the stands. I spend $2,000 for tickets, air fare and hotel to watch the New Mexico Bowl.

Love it! Straight out of the haters playbook.

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

Ralphie so sharp I want to buy him a pro membership sometimes....sometimes.

unde0087
    Did we win?
    unde0087's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 107

Instead of a couple 5-7 teams, just have Kansas vs C Florida face off, no matter what happens at least a hand full of kids will know what it feels like to win a game.

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

If you want a bowl game to represent what it's supposed to — a reward for a good season — you could easily cut the number in half and you'd still have mediocre teams going. A bowl game that attracts a crowd of 26,000 and a TV rating of .0000001 doesn't do anyone any good. This whole thing has become an embarrassment and a joke. It's been 20 years since I've watched more than 2 minutes of a bowl game played before Jan. 1 and I'm not going back.