newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9990

Hedging depends on your philosophy. Guy doubled his initial investment, and had a 4 point middle shot crossing 2 scoring numbers. In hindsight everyone here hedges but as long as he consistently doesn't hedge then good on him. Sick loss for sure.

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

Thanks tat. Now I know I'm not the only one who got royally fkd last night. I went out for food after Carolina made it 17 ahead with 8 minutes left, no need to sweat right Didn't even pay attention to the score until this morning

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

People that hedge in any form of gambling end up doing much better than the straight out gambler

tatddy
    tatddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 608

SAngles it was worse than you can imagine if you actually watch the way it went down.

That's gambling folks. I'd say it's a cautionary tale about hedging but it's really just a horrific beat to watch. As Southy said it's 5K not 500K nothing life changing for him. I don't expect iwinyourmoney to understand that (called it greed). It's clear from his posts that iwin is a losing long term gambler and he's forever living paycheck to paycheck. And hey...there's nothing wrong with that plenty of people are. But don't judge others as greedy because they let a 5K parlay ride. You clearly don't have the perspective nor the faculties to understand what it's like to be successful in life and to treat gambling as a hobby. Go back to posing your "lock" plays were you sell points and then get crushed.

Would I have hedged? Absolutely at least for 1K. But do I blame him for not? NO. He liked the play to begin with so nothing wrong with letting it ride (hedged 250 at least won something).
    Points Awarded:

Jrod124 gave tatddy 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

ROFLcopter gave tatddy 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Jrod124
    Update your status
    Jrod124's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 535

Quote Originally Posted by tatddy View Post
    SAngles it was worse than you can imagine if you actually watch the way it went down.

That's gambling folks. I'd say it's a cautionary tale about hedging but it's really just a horrific beat to watch. As Southy said it's 5K not 500K nothing life changing for him. I don't expect iwinyourmoney to understand that (called it greed). It's clear from his posts that iwin is a losing long term gambler and he's forever living paycheck to paycheck. And hey...there's nothing wrong with that plenty of people are. But don't judge others as greedy because they let a 5K parlay ride. You clearly don't have the perspective nor the faculties to understand what it's like to be successful in life and to treat gambling as a hobby. Go back to posing your "lock" plays were you sell points and then get crushed.

Would I have hedged? Absolutely at least for 1K. But do I blame him for not? NO. He liked the play to begin with so nothing wrong with letting it ride (hedged 250 at least won something).
    Good stuff Tad, glad the guy won. It's up to the gambler if they want to hedge or not

Sick beat though

SharpAngles
    SharpAngles's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1638

Funny, I was just watching the game cast and came back to say now that I've seen it my ass hurts more

I've never really bought into the whole "fixed" thing but jfc games like this are the reason thats a fkn theory. The zebras made every call they could to assist the Colts down to upholding a blatant ball touching the ground on 4th down that would've sealed the cover and the under.

As far as hedging, that's an either or thing. Either do it every time or not at all. It all comes down to risk tolerance. Worked out for him this time that's for sure

tatddy
    tatddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 608

Quote Originally Posted by SharpAngles View Post
    Funny, I was just watching the game cast and came back to say now that I've seen it my ass hurts more

I've never really bought into the whole "fixed" thing but jfc games like this are the reason thats a fkn theory. The zebras made every call they could to assist the Colts down to upholding a blatant ball touching the ground on 4th down that would've sealed the cover and the under.

As far as hedging, that's an either or thing. Either do it every time or not at all. It all comes down to risk tolerance. Worked out for him this time that's for sure
    Not quite he had 125 to win over 5K and hedged 250. I kept texting him when it was colts +10.5 to HEDGE 500 at least but it's his money.

As for the fix it wasn't for any gambling outcome it was just to keep the game close and exciting. Give the people what they want. And they sure did (except for some gamblers).

Panthers could have stopped it all by just bringing the house at luck late in the 4Q. Letting him sit back there was suicide.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

In terms of parlays, the general expectation is that hedging is a bad idea because you compound a -ev bet with another -ev bet, long term this is a great way to end up down.

But thats just mathematics. There is a common sense, practical side to the equation that cannot be ignored, nor is there any constant for it as it's different for everyone.

Maybe for Iwinyourmoney, a $1,000 hedge is life changing, if so, hedge away, no point in ever passing up a significant sum that has utility in the happiness it brings you.

To each there own, as long as you know hedging is generally -ev

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

The math is definitely against hedging.

Each individual can do what's best for them, but the math is inarguable.

Another thing if your plan is to hedge on a parlay like this, just leave the Monday night game off.

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Yep, if you're gonna hedge anyways, best to leave it off the parlay and then bet it as a single wager if you want the action. It appears that SA already has this figured out. Hopefully Brock jr can graduate to a second grade IQ soon and figure this out.

But big parlays are fun to chase.

Just comes down to what your goals are

Mine is to save up enough money to go pro and buy a plane ticket to California and visit Jaker, Manyy, kick Mayans ass and get a counselling session from The Giant.

First 12