DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 30698

Josh Smith Discusses His Upcoming Struggle To Survive On $6.9 Million

The struggle is real.

Somehow, some way, Josh Smith and his family will have to figure out how to survive on just $6.9 million during the upcoming NBA season.During a Los Angeles Clippers news conference on Tuesday to introduce the newly signed forward Josh Smith, the former NBA All-Star discussed the challenges he'll face as a result.

"At the end of the day, you know, I do have a family," he told reporters. "So it is going to be a little harder on me this year. But I'm going to push through it, you know?"

Smith -- who has earned over $97 million from NBA contracts in his 11-year career, according to Spotrac -- signed a one-year deal with the Clippers earlier this month for the veteran's minimum of $1.5 million. His former team, the Detroit Pistons, will also be paying him $5.4 million to not play for them. (Smith was released last December by the Pistons after signing a four-year, $54 million contract in July 2013.)

That adds up to just $6.9 million next season -- a far cry from the over $13 million he was making just two years ago. We weep for you, Josh Smith.

In all seriousness, Smith seems to be paying homage to former NBA star Latrell Sprewell by focusing on his family's impending financial struggles. Remember when Sprewell deemed the Minnesota Timberwolves' three-year, $30 million contract offer as "insulting"?

"I'm at risk
    . I have a lot of risk here. I got my family to feed," Sprewell told the Free Republic in 2004. And so does Smith. But another thing that he's going to "push through" this year? The $100 million mark for total NBA earnings.

James Marques
    James Marques's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3692

That guy is a jerk off.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

kook

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

not sure why the clippers signed this loser.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

I read this from another sports website. I couldn't believe how retarded Josh Smith sounded. Guy is going to be flat broke once he's out of the NBA. Clearly evident.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

It's hard these days to stand on the street pimpin

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff
    downsouth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25123

How many years after done till this guy is broke?

Maybe will be surprised and he is actually smart off the court or surrounded himself with smart people but guy is dumb as they come when on the court.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Easy to understand when your way of living gets cut it can be hard readjusting.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

my thoughts and prayers are with Smith and his family
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: beerman2619

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

guys they are all highly uneducated

it means they do not no how to live

jtoler

Think about if your salary was cut in half right now, you'd be devastated.

beerman2619
    beerman2619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

Hope that is a joke son. Get real 6.9 million what is Smith going to apply for food stamps so his family can eat?

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post

ChuckyTheGoat
    ChuckyTheGoat's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24869

Guy's a bum.

TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

After taxes and hidden surcharges in Cali, 50k will be his take for the year. I feel for him

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 384

Prima Donna. Living like this gravy train will never end. He'll be playing overseas for peanuts in 3 years. After that, he'll be in jail for domestic violence and drugs. Seen this story way too many times.

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by beerman2619 View Post

Hope that is a joke son. Get real 6.9 million what is Smith going to apply for food stamps so his family can eat?
    Not a joke and I don't feel sorry for him, he shouldnt even say such with millions struggling, but I can understand making a certain amount, no matter how much it is, when your lifestyle adapts to those earnings and gets cut its different is all. He may see 4.6 mil after taxes that looks different than saying 6.9 mil.

Jeffie
    Jeffie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1163

90+ million in 11 years do these idiots not understand how easy it is to invest when you have that kinda money?

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

We should all donate points to his family so they can order pizza and make it through these tough times.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Ebumdude

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

100%

Quote Originally Posted by Mr KLC View Post
    Prima Donna. Living like this gravy train will never end. He'll be playing overseas for peanuts in 3 years. After that, he'll be in jail for domestic violence and drugs. Seen this story way too many times.

IBetYou
    IBetYou's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16154

Pretty sure he was joking. Sprewell on the other hand...

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

I feel him just because he makes a ton of money he was making more and it's impacting his families standard of living no different than alot of Americans in the oilfield who made 100k + during the boom now it's bust most of my friends are making 30k if that? with the cuts to me it's the same thing less money = lower standard of living. The more money you make the more you spend for most people....only josh makes a lot more money you guys will find out when you grow up and some bitch takes you to civil court it's called "lifestyle you are accustomed to." He has to maintain that for his family.

teaserpleaser

Easy to understand when your way of living gets cut it can be hard readjusting.

SharkAA
    SharkAA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6282

Guy has one of the lowest bball IQ in the NBA, so I wouldn't be surprised, if he indeed is such a dumbfukk, having financial issues.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3483

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    I feel him just because he makes a ton of money he was making more and it's impacting his families standard of living no different than alot of Americans in the oilfield who made 100k + during the boom now it's bust most of my friends are making 30k if that? with the cuts to me it's the same thing less money = lower standard of living. The more money you make the more you spend for most people....only josh makes a lot more money you guys will find out when you grow up and some bitch takes you to civil court it's called "lifestyle you are accustomed to." He has to maintain that for his family.
    That's his problem if he doesn't know how to adjust nobody elses.

BigDofBA
    BigDofBA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2011

He will be on ESPN 30 for 30 in 10 years..."BROKE"

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

He'll declare bankruptcy with a net worth of about 20-30 million and then live the high life

Just like 50cent

cala56
    cala56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5810

Quote Originally Posted by BigDofBA View Post
    He will be on ESPN 30 for 30 in 10 years..."BROKE"
    Yes i watched yesterday at netflix. You know that is not 6.9 millions, because uncle sam will take away the 40% of cake.

new era
    new era's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1931

Quote Originally Posted by cala56 View Post
    Yes i watched yesterday at netflix. You know that is not 6.9 millions, because uncle sam will take away the 40% of cake.
    Poor J Smoove.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

You guys are being mean for no reason. Show some compassion here.

After child support, his income falls to $738 a year.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: YouHave2outs

teaserpleaser

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    That's his problem if he doesn't know how to adjust nobody elses.
    You missed the whole point ..all that I wrote and that's what you come back with is "its his fault nobody else's "....deep thoughts brah. Anywho what I said is valid it is what it is not that he doesn't know how it's that he has to adjust that's the issue I'm sure somehow he'll be able to get by

teaserpleaser

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Halves View Post
    You guys are being mean for no reason. Show some compassion here.

After child support, his income falls to $738 a year.
    Alimony ....paying for past use of a vagina you most likely can't/don't use anymore for the rest of her life strikes me as wrong. that's the real danger I wonder how many dudes have thought about killing their ex wives over alimony especially with social media you can actually see her spending your $$$ while with some new dude possibly even spending your money on the new dude ....yikes.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15084

Quote Originally Posted by teaserpleaser View Post
    Alimony ....paying for past use of a vagina you most likely can't/don't use anymore for the rest of her life strikes me as wrong. that's the real danger I wonder how many dudes have thought about killing their ex wives over alimony especially with social media you can actually see her spending your $$$ while with some new dude possibly even spending your money on the new dude ....yikes.
    That's what made Hulk Hogan go nuts. The first time.

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9990

Just my opinion, but would think athletes have to think differently about their income. We are all saving for retirement and we are trying to figure out how much we will need when the paychecks stop coming in. This is the same situation only athletes have to plan for a much much longer runway of no money coming in. It will be a change but hopefully not cut in half how he was living or he is ****** 15 years from now.

I have a reasonable expectation that I will earn my salary until I'm 60 let's say. Nba players have to reasonably expect they won't be getting paid after 40. Likely earlier than that even.

sweethook
    sweethook's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10452

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    guys they are all highly uneducated

it means they do not no how to live
    heres the truth

12 Last