TommyDog
    TommyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 289

Clock never started after Giants moved inside the four with 1:54 left....

3rd & 14 on DAL 20
    +16 YD
    2:00 (Shotgun) E.Manning pass to O.Beckham Jr. to DAL 4 for 16 yards (B.Church). Penalty on DAL-D.Lawrence, Defensive Offside, declined.....

Pass was thrown over the middle, player never went out of bounds. Penalty was declined, which should have started the clock. Instead, the clock remained at 1:54 until Giants snapped the ball.

Anyone else notice this?? Couldn't believe it wasn't being mentioned on the broadcast.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21653

Isn't that where they called a timeout?

Iwinyourmoney
    IWIN.........IN!
    Iwinyourmoney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 733

When they declined the penalty I believe it stops the clock. If they accept it, it resets the play clock.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

no, they still had two timeouts after that play. This is what I am saying, why didn't the clock start ticking away?

TommyDog
    TommyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 289

No, Cowboys had two timeouts following the two-minute warning, and they were used after this play.

I don't believe a clock stops on a declined penalty???

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Hmmmm....seems like you're right.

Between that and the 3rd down debacle, they should have been able to take it down to about 15 seconds. Up 6 no TO's, game basically over.

When that pass was completed the odds should have been about 5000-1.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I think it had to do with the offsides penalty....since it was declined I think the clock stops but maybe it's somewhere in the rules

Regardless not sure how the Giants don't run it twice at 3rd and 1.....I'd be livid if I were a Giants fan

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Another crazy NFL rule, but it seems stopping clock is correct. See these links:

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/10/...clined-penalty
    http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/timing

So basically, the Cowboys were benefited by committing a penalty on that play vs. just a catch. What a dumb rule. Just one of many in the NFL.

High3rEl3m3nt

If the game clock is stopped after a down in which there was a foul by either team, following enforcement or declination of a penalty, the game clock will start as if the foul had not occurred, except that the clock will start on the snap if:
    1. the foul occurs after the two-minute warning of the first half
    2. the foul occurs inside the last five minutes of the second half

TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

doesn't matter. giants should have ran it. the end.

High3rEl3m3nt

agreed, twoways.

Rich Boy
    Rich Boy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1106

Manning cost them the game, what an idiot

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

unreal

I fell asleep

EdwardHaney
    EdwardHaney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3105

Quote Originally Posted by TommyDog View Post
    3rd & 14 on DAL 20
    +16 YD
    2:00 (Shotgun) E.Manning pass to O.Beckham Jr. to DAL 4 for 16 yards (B.Church). Penalty on DAL-D.Lawrence, Defensive Offside, declined.....

Pass was thrown over the middle, player never went out of bounds. Penalty was declined, which should have started the clock. Instead, the clock remained at 1:54 until Giants snapped the ball.

Anyone else notice this?? Couldn't believe it wasn't being mentioned on the broadcast.
    I agree with you on this. I can't believe they didn't even mention it anywhere including on the live broadcast (Collinsworth is usually pretty good with this kind of thing). I think the way the rule is written, they may have gotten the call right..It just makes zero sense.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

You're an old man now jj...can you keep up??

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

Crazy game.

EdwardHaney
    EdwardHaney's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3105

Just to clarify, after going over the rules, I think the game was officiated correctly. However, the rule is really bad.

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Boy View Post
    Manning cost them the game, what an idiot
    ^
    ^
    ^

This is what happened

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status

Rule should be you give the opposing team the option if you want the clock to run or not when declined

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I twas one of more crazy game in recent memory on Sunday Night

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7846

there's never any way that the only person on earth who caught a problem in a high profile nfl game is an sbr poster.

ki dice
    ki dice's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8632

And is it me or did it feel like dallas called 5 timeouts, I know one got given back. at first I ain't gonna lie I thought there was a rule change with teams having 4 timeouts,and I'm not even trying be smart.

beerman2619
    beerman2619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

Dez caught that ball last season also but the rules say he didn't. Boo Hoooooo the clock was right the whole game. Giants choked the game away period. Don't blame the rules or the clock operator kids. Passing the ball on the half inch line . Great play call Giants they deserve to lose this game. You don't give the ball back to Tony Romo kids .

beerman2619
    beerman2619's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 459

Quote Originally Posted by ki dice View Post
    And is it me or did it feel like dallas called 5 timeouts, I know one got given back. at first I ain't gonna lie I thought there was a rule change with teams having 4 timeouts,and I'm not even trying be smart.

Yes its you Dallas got 3 timeouts. Where do you some come of with this crap? Must drink more then me during games . Giants choked period.

temple2010
    temple2010's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4189

I thought i saw last year in the Super Bowl the dumbest play call until tonight! Why this one is worse is because the Giants had the lead. There's no reason to pass the ball in that situation- at worst u kick the field goal and be up 6 and give Dallas 50 seconds to go 80 yds with no timeouts. And by the way, nobody tells Manning in the timeout if the pass isn't there just fall down and take the sack?????????? Great coaching

FlaxMartin
    FlaxMartin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5146

Quote Originally Posted by beerman2619 View Post
    Dez caught that ball last season also but the rules say he didn't. Boo Hoooooo the clock was right the whole game. Giants choked the game away period. Don't blame the rules or the clock operator kids. Passing the ball on the half inch line . Great play call Giants they deserve to lose this game. You don't give the ball back to Tony Romo kids .
    OF course, horrible playcalling, but you sir must be either blind or high on crack.

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11941

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    I twas one of more crazy game in recent memory on Sunday Night
    and you weren't awake to see it

Harry N. Lloyd
    Harry N. Lloyd's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12914

Coughlin should be in a nursing home. He could've run the clock down much more than he did. Why did Eli throw on 3rd? Crazy! Then they do the 2 stupidest things in all of sports. Pooch kick, clock ticks for about 3 seconds but the Cowboys get 10-15 extra yards. Then the dreaded Prevent D. No pass rush, everyone backing up. Couldn't have made it easier for Dallas to move it the length of the field. When will they learn??

msutter
    msutter's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 368

Quote Originally Posted by EdwardHaney View Post
    I agree with you on this. I can't believe they didn't even mention it anywhere including on the live broadcast (Collinsworth is usually pretty good with this kind of thing). I think the way the rule is written, they may have gotten the call right..It just makes zero sense.
    I was listening to the westwood one radio broadcast and they mentioned it there. Saying the penalty was like a free timeout for the Cowboys

BuckyOne
    BuckyOne's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 19261

Well anyway - what a miracle over the total back door. I don't blame guys with unders being pissed at the Giants. Guess a few Cowboys teasers had a miraculous cover.

Ambition
    The Professor
    Ambition's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2452

New rule where any penalty, accepted or declined in the 4Q under 5 minutes left will stop the clock. I was hearing it on Mike&Mike this morning. Referee's did not make a mistake. NYG did by throwing the ball on the 1-yd line.

alamo
    Why R.E.M. and not The Go-Betweens
    alamo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10890

Quote Originally Posted by Ambition View Post
    New rule where any penalty, accepted or declined in the 4Q under 5 minutes left will stop the clock. I was hearing it on Mike&Mike this morning. Referee's did not make a mistake. NYG did by throwing the ball on the 1-yd line.
    This is NOT correct... A declined penalty the clock continues to run if the pass is completed inbounds or a runner fails to get OB .... If what you said was true would have every team who needs to stop the clock just jump offside which sacrifices 5yards for a clock stoppage.

Ambition
    The Professor

Quote Originally Posted by alamo View Post
    This is NOT correct... A declined penalty the clock continues to run if the pass is completed inbounds or a runner fails to get OB .... If what you said was true would have every team who needs to stop the clock just jump offside which sacrifices 5yards for a clock stoppage.
    Yeah, you're right. I worded it wrong. There is a new rule in affect where if a penalty occurs under 5 mins of the 4Q, the clock will stop. I don't exactly know the rule, I just heard it this morning because of all the Giants fans trying to blame the refs rather than their team, haha.

alamo
    Why R.E.M. and not The Go-Betweens
    alamo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10890

Quote Originally Posted by Ambition View Post
    Yeah, you're right. I worded it wrong. There is a new rule in affect where if a penalty occurs under 5 mins of the 4Q, the clock will stop. I don't exactly know the rule, I just heard it this morning because of all the Giants fans trying to blame the refs rather than their team, haha.
    No worries.. In fairness to the Giants that was a huge miss by the officials but Coughlin or SOMEONE on the Giants bench or upstairs shouldve been able to see that the clock was not re-started to alert the officials that the clock should have continued to run....It was a HUGE moment in the game. I watched Mannings drive again and counted that he snapped in total 48secs early which again was a HUGE chunk of time. I have never seen a team drive the whole length of the field and not run out the clock inside 4 mins.... A calamity of mistakes by all teams (Refs, Cowboys (with the brain dead PI and the Giants mostly)

Ambition
    The Professor

Quote Originally Posted by alamo View Post
    No worries.. In fairness to the Giants that was a huge miss by the officials but Coughlin or SOMEONE on the Giants bench or upstairs shouldve been able to see that the clock was not re-started to alert the officials that the clock should have continued to run....It was a HUGE moment in the game. I watched Mannings drive again and counted that he snapped in total 48secs early which again was a HUGE chunk of time. I have never seen a team drive the whole length of the field and not run out the clock inside 4 mins.... A calamity of mistakes by all teams (Refs, Cowboys (with the brain dead PI and the Giants mostly)
    No, seriously, the clock was supposed to be stopped after the Giants declined the penalty. I'm almost certain. It's a new rule this year, I'm going to look it up right now and see if I can find it.

12 Last