The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Any avid outdoors men here?

Wifey and I love backpacking, hiking and camping.

Just curious what's in your bag

We both carry a variety of stuff that's really refined for how intense and the length of our adventure. But one of us is always carry the following things regardless.

-Sawyer Mini Water Filters
    -A spread of oral antibiotics
    -Cheap mercury thermometer
    -Compass & Binoculars
    -Snacks including Justins PB packs, Peanut M&Ms, dried fruit, Cliff Bars and other nutritionally dense foods that are light
    -Camelbak
    -Bottle of Wine
    -Binoculars
    -TP unrolled and broken into 3-4 square segments, then packed in a baggie. Takes up MUCH less space. Also don't have to bring the entire roll.
    -Iphone, mainly for SBR and camera use
    -Bear Spray
    -I always have my flyfishing rod and a small box of flies

This is some pretty basic stuff that accompanies us always. If we'll be out for multiple nights, obviously tent, bed padding, sleeping bag, weather dependent stuff like rain gear or warmer wool clothes, canister stove, more food, more wine, deck of cards etcetera etcetera etcetera

Lastly, I tend to pack heat. Smallest caliber I ever carry is my .357 mag. I just feel safer with it.

Anyways, would love to hear what you all bring along, any tips/tricks, ways to pack better, good food ideas...

Check in High3rel3ment, BigDay
    Last edited by The Kraken; 08-30-15 at 01:26 AM.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: High3rEl3m3nt

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

All I need is a pocket knife, girlfriend, and a handycam

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Kraken, that's a good list.

Northern MN has a bunch of national forrests. Always fun to explore and experience nature.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Kraken did you watch Alone? Pretty interesting show. They dropped them off in your neck of the woods

unluckysob
    unluckysob's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12702

i am a degenerate gambler---i don`t have time for anything else.

capitalist pig
    capitalist pig's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 346

You need some sort of device for starting a fire if needed, some kind of 1st aid kit, and a heavy duty knife . As a weight saving method ditch the bottles of wine and carry a bottle of Valium or Xanax. JMO

Later

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Why do guys go out and walk around in woods unless your hunting??I could never understand it and risk tick bites and other types of possible bites??

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

all anyone who stays on here all day needs is the bear spray.

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

Flashlight
    Pocket knife (a beastly one, including a saw blade to cut down small trees)
    Lighter
    Matches
    Newspaper

You forgot those which I find crucial. Also, I bought a 3-way water filter bottle (bacteria, microbials & viruses). Bought it from the UK it's great & you'll never need another one again. Takes less space than multiple camel backs, water bottles, canteens and individual filters.
    Points Awarded:

The Kraken gave DOM_Toretto 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

ever look into renting/owning a pack animal ?

can take a better tent and more booze.
    you know another thing is to make your own
    (for example, ez-caps.. make booze outdoors and leave it in
    secret places so you don't have to carry it)
    Last edited by Snowball; 08-30-15 at 08:57 AM.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9137

I like your idea of hiking with wine but the rest of that list is a bit OCD.

The two vital things never to forget when heading into the bush down here.... water and a hat.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

if you walk through the woods here a lot, might as well get you some snake boots.

The Kraken

Thx gents...

Good stuff.

Opti, most is absolutely OCD. No denying it. But a lot of it is also based on previous experiences. The water filter weighs much less than a pound, and thats wet. The gun is absolutely OCD, I've never needed it, but it's one of those things now I'd hate to have never needed, not bring it one time and then need it.

Wine and fly fishing gear is a must. Can't be compromised. The only question is more than one bottle or not. Xanax and valium are good ideas and I have access to plenty of both but both the mrs and I enjoy wine.

Basically, everything together doesn't add a lot of weight relative to it's value to me. We hike in the olympics and the cascades mostly, and we go off trail. Bear spray is a must up here.

So our needs are a bit different than someone looking to go on a 10-12 mile trail hike to popular spot. Then I would only bring the wine and enty of h20
    Last edited by The Kraken; 08-30-15 at 10:06 AM.

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    ever look into renting/owning a pack animal ?

can take a better tent and more booze.
    you know another thing is to make your own
    (for example, ez-caps.. make booze outdoors and leave it in
    secret places so you don't have to carry it)
    This is knteresting. No, Imve never considered it. I will research it though. I've never seen anyone else with one either but I can see the benefits. Interesting

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

Kraken you want to go on this with me?

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best...370048082.html

Originally Posted: 2011-05-08 7:35pm
    Manhood Camping

Manhood Camping Firequest. Lookin' for a 100% for real bros to share/experience manhood in all its glory. This is for real, I don't want to waste my time or yours. 100% JO and manhood, no sugar added. I AM NOT GAY. Don't even think this is a sex thing, it's all about manhood.

Looking for bros to head into the woods and bond by fire, experience life as men once lived it, JO circle, and fire/vision quests.

THIS IS NOT A SEX THING.

Gonna need some basic things/skills, I don't want to be slowed down by fools:

- must be in reasonable shape, if you get winded walking then stay home
    - Ed Hardy camping gear, it's really good gear and it's awesome
    - desire to be a man among men
    - not afraid to wield a blade
    - crystal, I'm not sharing mine
    - must be able to make a fire
    - gloves
    - a knowledge of native vegetation (knowledge of psychotropic fungus a plus)
    - knowledge of modern music
    - protective/splash resistant eye wear
    - 5 - 10 of those clip things that rock climbers use

We are gonna need a mobile music device, ipod or something. I'm bringing the music for the firequests and visionquests, Nickleback's The Long Road. I only have it on CD, so I'll have my discman as a last resort, an ipod would be nicer. Just sayin'.

Dont' want to see"

- bad attitudes
    - gay/homoerotic behavior, this is a manhood thing. I AM NOT GAY.
    - rooster rings, can't keep it up w/o help, you aren't gonna make it on this quest
    - firearms, there's gonna be enough guns going off and spent shells to pick up
    - the nerds/dorks/lames/and anyone less than 100% into manhood.

If you are serious, then I promise you this will be the trip of your life. It will change the way you think. I'm serious, and I AM NOT GAY. To see a group of bros being men, a JO circle by a camp fire. The charge/energy in the air. Crystals get jacked, no lie. You will slip into a different frame of mind, you will feel electric.

Last outing, we had a group that was so charged we attracted bears. It was no deal, nature knew man was in the forest, the crystals gave us the confidence to own those bears. I saw it, I was there.

100% SERIOUS, NO FAKERS

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

post id: 2370048082
    email to friend
    best of [?]

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Why do guys go out and walk around in woods unless your hunting??I could never understand it and risk tick bites and other types of possible bites??
    JJ, hiking is amazing. Nothing like finding that sweet spot where no one else is, close to a stream, catch some trout, filet em and cook em on an open fire. Have some wine and fukk the mrs on top of old smokey. Its titilating.

bradthebloke
    bradthebloke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 255

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    Kraken did you watch Alone? Pretty interesting show. They dropped them off in your neck of the woods
    damn good show. blows fake the island with bear grylls out of the water

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    Kraken you want to go on this with me?

http://www.craigslist.org/about/best...370048082.html

Originally Posted: 2011-05-08 7:35pm
    Manhood Camping

Manhood Camping Firequest. Lookin' for a 100% for real bros to share/experience manhood in all its glory. This is for real, I don't want to waste my time or yours. 100% JO and manhood, no sugar added. I AM NOT GAY. Don't even think this is a sex thing, it's all about manhood.

Looking for bros to head into the woods and bond by fire, experience life as men once lived it, JO circle, and fire/vision quests.

THIS IS NOT A SEX THING.

Gonna need some basic things/skills, I don't want to be slowed down by fools:

- must be in reasonable shape, if you get winded walking then stay home
    - Ed Hardy camping gear, it's really good gear and it's awesome
    - desire to be a man among men
    - not afraid to wield a blade
    - crystal, I'm not sharing mine
    - must be able to make a fire
    - gloves
    - a knowledge of native vegetation (knowledge of psychotropic fungus a plus)
    - knowledge of modern music
    - protective/splash resistant eye wear
    - 5 - 10 of those clip things that rock climbers use

We are gonna need a mobile music device, ipod or something. I'm bringing the music for the firequests and visionquests, Nickleback's The Long Road. I only have it on CD, so I'll have my discman as a last resort, an ipod would be nicer. Just sayin'.

Dont' want to see"

- bad attitudes
    - gay/homoerotic behavior, this is a manhood thing. I AM NOT GAY.
    - rooster rings, can't keep it up w/o help, you aren't gonna make it on this quest
    - firearms, there's gonna be enough guns going off and spent shells to pick up
    - the nerds/dorks/lames/and anyone less than 100% into manhood.

If you are serious, then I promise you this will be the trip of your life. It will change the way you think. I'm serious, and I AM NOT GAY. To see a group of bros being men, a JO circle by a camp fire. The charge/energy in the air. Crystals get jacked, no lie. You will slip into a different frame of mind, you will feel electric.

Last outing, we had a group that was so charged we attracted bears. It was no deal, nature knew man was in the forest, the crystals gave us the confidence to own those bears. I saw it, I was there.

100% SERIOUS, NO FAKERS

• it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

post id: 2370048082
    email to friend
    best of [?]

Fukk that Archie. Two things I find concerning.

First, he says "I'm not gay" too many times. This is absolutely a gay trip. Watch your six Arch.

Second, if I was preparing a "manhood" hike, I would never fee the need to tell my "bros" not to bring a rooster ring

If I go on that trip with you, I'm absolutely bringing a firearm

Arch did you write that?

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11917

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    Have some wine and fukk the mrs on top of old smokey. Its titilating.
    Is this where the "camera use" on the iphone comes in??

Sledge187
    Sledge187's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6001

Do they have Whataburger in the woods.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

outdoor people usually are hamburgers in real life

They know nothing what is going on in the world

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyburrito View Post
    Is this where the "camera use" on the iphone comes in??
    GoPro4 stealthy. Have a library

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by Sledge187 View Post
    Do they have Whataburger in the woods.
    That was good in HS at 2am when you're drunk and high. Haven't had that greasy slop in atleast 10 years. My gut isn't strong enough these days.

If it's a multiday outing I carry a Biolite stove. Cook a much better burger on that than you'd get at Whataburger

Snowball
    Snowball's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3780

This is knteresting. No, Imve never considered it. I will research it though. I've never seen anyone else with one either but I can see the benefits. Interesting
    https://www.bing.com/search?q=pack+a...st=9&FORM=PORE

Optional

@Archie... wtf is this JO stuff?

70kgman
    70kgman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1895

I will be solo thru hiking the Appalachian trail from GA to ME in March. So will be living in the woods for 6-7 months.

Still have lots of gear to buy, mostly accessories though...stuff sacks, compression sacks, bear bag, clothes, rain/wind gear, ect... Have most of the big 3 and other main items.

Z Packs arc blast 60L pack
    Alps Mountaineering Lynx 1 tent (kind of heavy by thru hiking standards, but I like it)
    Zpacks 20 degree sleeping bag
    Nemo Astro insulated air pad
    Solo Stove + pot + toaks spork (wood burning, no need for fuel, and weighs only 1lb for both stove + pot)
    Sawyer Squeeze water filter
    Cascade Mountain Tech Carbon Fiber trekking poles

Going to try to keep my base pack weight (before food, water, consumables) under 17.5 pounds. We'll see.

The Kraken

Quote Originally Posted by 70kgman View Post
    I will be solo thru hiking the Appalachian trail from GA to ME in March. So will be living in the woods for 6-7 months.

Still have lots of gear to buy, mostly accessories though...stuff sacks, compression sacks, bear bag, clothes, rain/wind gear, ect... Have most of the big 3 and other main items.

Z Packs arc blast 60L pack
    Alps Mountaineering Lynx 1 tent (kind of heavy by thru hiking standards, but I like it)
    Zpacks 20 degree sleeping bag
    Nemo Astro insulated air pad
    Solo Stove + pot + toaks spork (wood burning, no need for fuel, and weighs only 1lb for both stove + pot)
    Sawyer Squeeze water filter
    Cascade Mountain Tech Carbon Fiber trekking poles

Going to try to keep my base pack weight (before food, water, consumables) under 17.5 pounds. We'll see.
    Great list and good luck on your trek! Sounds amazing. I would absolutely love to take 6-months off and do something similar. What do you plan on doing about food for that long? Will you be bringing a gun of any sort?

Have you rearched the squeeze? They're extremely light and perfect for packing. But they seem to fail at a higher rate than they should. If you haven't already, check out reviews for them on Amazong or Ebay. Might be worth considering a backup plan, especially because filters are so light these days.

Edit: we havr a Tarptent double Rainbow and really like it. I've been in it both solo, for weeks at a time on fishing trips, and also with the mrs on week trips. It weighs 2.5lbs, probably the easiest tent in the world to set up (takes about 60 seconds) and is primarily mesh, so you get great flow of air. Also, I've always enjoyed solo hiking with a 2 person tent, it's obviously more spacious but you can actually cook in this tent because it's so well ventilated. And imo, that's a huge plus.
    Last edited by The Kraken; 08-30-15 at 11:21 AM.

70kgman

Great list and good luck on your trek! Sounds amazing. I would absolutely love to take 6-months off and do something similar. What do you plan on doing about food for that long? Will you be bringing a gun of any sort?

Have you rearched the squeeze? They're extremely light and perfect for packing. But they seem to fail at a higher rate than they should. If you haven't already, check out reviews for them on Amazong or Ebay. Might be worth considering a backup plan, especially because filters are so light these days.
    You typically pass towns every few days on the AT where you can go into town to resupply on food or whatever else. Some hitching rides into/out of town will be required, just a reality of that thru hike. Though from what I have read the hiker towns are used to thru hikers and eager to help out. Probably a bit tougher to find resupply towns the further north you get, up into VT/NH/ME.

No Gun.

The squeeze has great reviews. It is the Sawyer mini that people seem to have issues with...bad flow rate, clogs easy and often, and freezes easier in cold weather. I think the squeeze was my best option, though I am considering also bringing a steripen as an emergency backup since I will be gone so long. Not sure yet though.

The Kraken

I added an edit about the tent, fwiw.

I love redundancy. Especially for something as vital as clean drinking water. Anything can happen with even the best of products. I like the idea of a steripen for that long of a trip. I'll have to re-read the latest reviews on the squeeze. Last I read, I seemed to recall the bag failing and people were using a bottle instead. They may have addressed the issue.

Have you thought about journaling it? I didn't journal my first fishing trip, was almost 4 weeks long and I regret it. I've forgotten so much of the trip. At the time, I didn't have a camera phone and didn't bring a camera. Too bad for me

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

The cast from Alone was able to take to 10 items...this is what they took. They were all given 2 tarps & bear spray.

http://survivalpacksupplies.blogspot...-show.html?m=1

Here's a break down list of all the survival supplies listed ranked by popularity by the ten contestants chosen for the first "Alone Show on the History Channel".
    10 - Chose an Axe
    10 - Sleeping Bag
    10 - Ferro Rod
    10 - 2 Quart Cooking Pot
    10 - Fishing Line and Assorted Hooks
    9 - Knife (???)
    7 - contestants chose a 12' x 12' Heavy Duty Tarp
    5 - saws
    4 - 550 paracord (60 feet)
    4 - Emergency Rations
    4 - Bows with 6 arrows
    4 - Gill Nets
    2 - Sling Shots
    2 - Leatherman multi tools
    2 - Water Bottles/ Canteens
    2 - Bivi Bags
    1 - 3.5 snaring wire
    1 - Sharpening Stone

70kgman

I added an edit about the tent, fwiw.

I love redundancy. Especially for something as vital as clean drinking water. Anything can happen with even the best of products. I like the idea of a steripen for that long of a trip. I'll have to re-read the latest reviews on the squeeze. Last I read, I seemed to recall the bag failing and people were using a bottle instead. They may have addressed the issue.

Have you thought about journaling it? I didn't journal my first fishing trip, was almost 4 weeks long and I regret it. I've forgotten so much of the trip. At the time, I didn't have a camera phone and didn't bring a camera. Too bad for me
    Just looked up that tent you have, looks nice. Lighter than mine too. Mine is close to 4 pounds as only a 1 person tent. Though probably won't swap it out. It is really good with condensation, warm, great with high winds, and has held up great in the few T-storms I have used it in. And I no doubt will run into many of them along the way on the AT. I counterbalanced the weight of the tent going ultralight on the pack and sleeping bag. The zpacks brand gear is considerably lighter than any other brand. Costly, but ridiculously light. I have read you are in good shape weight wise if your big 3 (pack, tent, sleeping gear) is under 9 pounds total, which mine should be once 100% complete.

Maybe the bad reviews for the squeeze were for the bladder bag it came with? Yeah, I have read about those failing. Though I personally was not going to use the bladder bag anyway, was just going to use a 1 liter smart water bottle. Oh, and here is a little tip for backflushing the sawyer filters, a smart water bottle with the squeeze tip works just as good as the big syringe it comes with. So a good way to save weight/volume is just bring the top spray cap instead of that syringe.

I have been enjoying watching a lot of journaling type video's people have posted of their thru hike on youtube. so I am leaning on doing something like that. Combination of POV shots when I see something cool or come to a good view, and maybe some talking when I have something useful to say, or a good story or whatever. The go pro's are only like 4 oz, would love to get one of those before I leave. No clue how I would edit/upload from the trail, but maybe I can figure something out. Possibly bounce boxing my laptop to myself every 400-500 miles? Then take a zero day at a motel or whatever place has wifi and editing/uploading whatever footage I have at the time.

Optional

Only 2 took water bottles??

Love to know how the other 8 dealt with that. obviously a solution if 8 decided it wasnt vital.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

one of my favorite shows at the moment...

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Here's another link detailing what they had. 4 guys lasted a while out there

http://morethanjustsurviving.com/alo...survival-gear/

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13164

Last of cast iron

skillet, griddle, etc

pump them hammies

just found an interesting article on hiking the Appalachian trail. Looks fun.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/hiker...134417126.html
    Last edited by gauchojake; 08-30-15 at 01:17 PM.

123 Last