TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

NHL: What Do You Think About 3-On-3 Hockey In Overtime?

ESPN Story

LAS VEGAS -- In an effort to try and reduce the number of games decided by a shootout, the NHL's general managers opted Tuesday to move next season to a five-minute overtime session with three skaters a side from four.
    The plan will need the approval of the NHL's Board of Governors, who will meet Wednesday in Las Vegas in advance of the NHL's annual awards ceremony but that approval is considered a formality.
    "I've said all along that as much as there's excitement for the shootout I'd like to see the games decided before the shootout if possible and this increases the probability," Columbus Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen told ESPN.com after the GMs' meeting broke Tuesday afternoon.

"If it gets approved by the Board of Governors tomorrow I think it's a good change and we've seen evidence of a lot more games decided in the overtime with that change both in the American (Hockey) League and the Swedish league," Kekalainen added.
    The NHL had entertained the idea of a hybrid overtime that would have started with four-on-four and then gone to three-on-three for the final three minutes of overtime.
    But the players' union was reluctant to endorse additional time to games, suggesting the game's top players would be adversely impacted as they are the ones who generally play the most in the overtime sessions.
    The shootout was introduced after the 2004-05 lockout as a measure of ensuring each game had a winner and to add an exciting wrinkle after the labor stoppage that scuttled an entire season.
    But over time GMs have become increasingly frustrated at the number of games that were decided by the shootout as they felt important points in the standings were being decided essentially by a skills competition.
    There were 170 shootouts last season representing 13.8 percent of all games. The year before there were 178 or 14.5 percent of all games.
    "I think what the goal was here was to reduce the shootouts," Nashville GM David Poile said Tuesday.
    "The managers just really felt they'd like to end more games in an overtime situation versus the shootout," Poile said.
    If the rule change is adopted, "I think it's going to be unbelievably exciting and I think we're going to get a lot of games that re going to be ended in overtime so I think we're going to get our wish," the Nashville GM added.
    Former NHL goaltender Ron Hextall, now the general manager of thePhiladelphia Flyers, said the three-on-three play won't be much fun for goaltenders given the scoring chances that are bound to be created by having so much open ice. But he believes the change is much needed.
    "I think there's too many shootouts and the 3-on-3s, as much as the fans like the shootouts, they're really going to like the 3-on-3," Hextall said.
    "I saw a lot of it at the American (Hockey) League level," he added. "It's exciting. It's free-flowing. It's chance for chance. It's tough on a goalie but it's exciting."

TheMoneyShot

I'm all for it! I really like the idea!

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

Great idea . . . unless you're a goalie.

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

that's not hockey

pass

Seaweed
    Update your status
    Seaweed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6952

About time

cala56
    cala56's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5810

Pass on it. Players will die in the OT. More injuries and more tiredness.

smoke a bowl
    smoke a bowl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14472

It's fukin ridiculous. 3 on 3 isn't even hockey. Give 3 points for wins and 1 point for ties and the game will open up.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7696

Quote Originally Posted by manny24 View Post
    that's not hockey

pass
    Street hockey youth styles americano

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

thats not hockey

will kill the game

badgerguy
    badgerguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 536

Awesome!

zizoudane10
    SPECIAL MODERATOR
    zizoudane10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 287

that's not hockey

pass

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6470

4 on 4 'til somebody wins, no points for ties. Don't want your top players playing too much? Win the damn game in regulation.

Rudeboy
    Lovely Jubbly
    Rudeboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 49

Quote Originally Posted by swordsandtequila View Post
    4 on 4 'til somebody wins, no points for ties. Don't want your top players playing too much? Win the damn game in regulation.

htown1
    htown1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

its an absolute joke, might as well toss a coin

Microphone
    The Voice of SBR
    Microphone's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 15781

Let games finish in a tie after a 5 or 7 minute FIVE ON FIVE overtime. Sometimes, things were just meant to be equal. I don't get this need for finality that some people have.

Plus going back to ties would get rid of this silly system where some games now are worth 2 points and some are worth 3.

If things stay the same now or go to 3 on 3, it should be 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for a shootout or OT win and 1 point for a SO or OT loss. You should be rewarded for finishing off your opponent in regulation.

htown1
    htown1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 204

Quote Originally Posted by Microphone View Post
    Let games finish in a tie after a 5 or 7 minute FIVE ON FIVE overtime. Sometimes, things were just meant to be equal. I don't get this need for finality that some people have.

Plus going back to ties would get rid of this silly system where some games now are worth 2 points and some are worth 3.

If things stay the same now or go to 3 on 3, it should be 3 points for a regulation win, 2 for a shootout or OT win and 1 point for a SO or OT loss. You should be rewarded for finishing off your opponent in regulation.
    couldn't agree more not sure why they just don't let the games end in a tie as they did a few years ago. I'll go a step further and say MLB should implement a similar rule. If game is still tied after 3 extra innings call it a tie and include it in the standings. A 17-18 inning game not only hurts the image of the game but also taxes both bullpens and affects future performances for the team. No fan wants to be in the stands for an 18 inning 3-2 snoozefest that ends in a bloop through the middle to end the game. Can't understand this fear of ties in american sports.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6470

Quote Originally Posted by htown1 View Post
    couldn't agree more not sure why they just don't let the games end in a tie as they did a few years ago. I'll go a step further and say MLB should implement a similar rule. If game is still tied after 3 extra innings call it a tie and include it in the standings. A 17-18 inning game not only hurts the image of the game but also taxes both bullpens and affects future performances for the team. No fan wants to be in the stands for an 18 inning 3-2 snoozefest that ends in a bloop through the middle to end the game. Can't understand this fear of ties in american sports.

Nothing more to say

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19593

The one thing the NHL is missing is taking away the possibility of earning one point despite a loss. All games should be win or lose with no points involved; sudden death OT at 4 on 4 would do the trick.

smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1547

3 on 3 is a lot closer to Hockey than a shootout, with this rule they are trying to reduce the number of shootouts. I love the idea.

TheMoneyShot

I'm all excited about the 3 on 3 idea... but...

Remember back in the day when wagering.... we had the 5 minute overtime... 5 on 5... with no shootouts? and you could take +0.5 or -0.5 for games? I wish we could go back to those days.

I hate the shootouts... anyone could get hot... and fuk up your wager. At least when it was 5 on 5 with one overtime... nothing really changed. Simple and basic. It was hockey.

nyplayer33
    nyplayer33's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 106

Absolutely makes sense...five on five is no offense n this is step in r ight direction..

Rich Boy
    Rich Boy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1106

NHL changing rules too often, makes the game look cheap

Nothing wrong with current system just leave it

UncleChael
    Tell 'em UncleChael sent ya
    UncleChael's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1125

I'd rather have continous OT. I FUKKING hate the shoot-out though. 2 easy for Patty Kane.

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

Keep the current format. Offenses need that final overtime and then it's all up to the goalie.

Johnnythunder
    Johnnythunder's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 863

Just downsize the God damned goalie pads once and for all...how many have i heard they're doing this and these goalies are bigger than ever.

OTL
    OTL's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5277

Don't like it. Stop trying to mess with the purity of the game to appease those with short attention spans.

Rudeboy
    Lovely Jubbly

For the way I bet shootouts can be beneficial as it gives a chance for underdogs on the ML

lakerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Rudeboy View Post
    For the way I bet shootouts can be beneficial as it gives a chance for underdogs on the ML
    That makes no sense. Underdog teams usually try to sit back and hope for the actual shootout. Now the good teams with the better players will be better off with 3 on 3 with more ice.

Rudeboy
    Lovely Jubbly

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    That makes no sense. Underdog teams usually try to sit back and hope for the actual shootout. Now the good teams with the better players will be better off with 3 on 3 with more ice.
    You just proved me right

lakerboy

Quote Originally Posted by Rudeboy View Post
    You just proved me right

okay there limey. you make no sense.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

I like 4 on 4 without goalie than 3 on 3 with goalie.

TheMoneyShot

Wow... I guess it was approved today? That was fast.

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Quote Originally Posted by smoke a bowl View Post
    It's fukin ridiculous. 3 on 3 isn't even hockey. Give 3 points for wins and 1 point for ties and the game will open up.
    This.

have 3 way line betting just like soccer

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

bush league

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

bush league

12 Last