yydouble
    Golf Expert
    yydouble's Avatar Become A Pro!

The White Shadow Returns!

How would you modernize the show?

No reality stuff, execs don't want it, just ideas on casting and story lines.

The best I've heard is Ray Allen starring as the coach at an all white school.

Why was that show so damn good?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It was good because of the times now nobody would watch it

yydouble
    Golf Expert

What if it was like "The Entourage" of sports shows with tons of cameos and hot chicks trying E for the first time.

It could be about a fictional NBA team based in Vegas.

It could be about a women's volleyball team in Venice Beach.

C'mon man!

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

Quote Originally Posted by yydouble View Post
    How would you modernize the show?

No reality stuff, execs don't want it, just ideas on casting and story lines.

The best I've heard is Ray Allen starring as the coach at an all white school.

Why was that show so damn good?
    The show was so good because of the times(70's) and the stereotypes that it attacked. White coach/black kids is not a new concept. It's been that way for nearly a half century now. There would be a huge outcry for black coach/white kids in basketball to see how the other half lives. When I think of the sports world the last 35+ years I can think of only two black coach/white star combos that worked and looked successful on the surface even though the coaches were good the white star was a deity. KC Jones/Larry Bird and Tony Dungy/Peyton Manning. The stars became monoliths, the coaches are still just coaches even though they shared in the same successes.

yydouble
    Golf Expert

How about a super ghetto coach from Compton at a private catholic high school in Beverly Hills.

He would teach toughness and how to deal with chicks and drugs and gangs. He would hate twitter and video games.

One of the players characters will be totally into metrics and the coach will hate it but the nerdy bench warmer will come up with some great strategies and they will end up bonding.

Basketball brings together nerds and tough guys.

That's an episode right there.

yydouble
    Golf Expert

I'm thinking Ray Allen in old man makeup as coach.

CWD
    Update your status
    CWD's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

there were only like three or four real channels back then you didnt really have a choice you had to watch it

it had it moments liked the ep where salami was banging the teacher and the christmas story episode

Ra77er
    Ra77er's Avatar Become A Pro!

I like these ideas, Ray was a silky shooter and would make a fantastic coach. YY poster of the month imo, followed very closely by 3D, Giant, and possibly coochy if he ever pm's me the +ev locations.

yydouble
    Golf Expert

Quote Originally Posted by CWD View Post
    there were only like three or four real channels back then you didnt really have a choice you had to watch it

it had it moments liked the ep where salami was banging the teacher and the christmas story episode
    Agree it was easier back then.

But it did well in reruns in the mid 80's too.

The fact that you remember episodes is telling.

How far ahead of its time was that teacher student sex episode!

Salami was a key ingredient. Village idiot with tons of heart.

They had a great gambling episode where Coach Reeves goes to the local bookie to bail out one of his players.

They meet in a diner and the bookie is eating toast. The bookie won't let coach pay the debt because of principle.

It's priceless.

yydouble
    Golf Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Ra77er View Post
    I like these ideas, Ray was a silky shooter and would make a fantastic coach. YY poster of the month imo, followed very closely by 3D, Giant, and possibly coochy if he ever pm's me the +ev locations.
    I am humbled by this honor. Everyone on that list is worthy.