DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head
    DOM_Toretto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 989

New Rule Changes to College Basketball

Several new rules have been proposed by the NCAA Rules Committee. Basically a done deal. The Oversight Committee has to approve them next month, but is considered just a formality.

GREAT IMPROVEMENTS TO MY FAVORITE SPORT.

- Shot clock reduced from 35 to 30 seconds
    - Number of timeouts reduced from 5 to 4
    - Max of 3 timeouts carried over into 2H
    - Team timeouts called within 30 seconds prior to a scheduled media timeout will become media timeouts (except for 1st team t/o in 2H)
    - Restricted arc expanded from 3ft to 4ft
    - Flopping can be penalized if a flagrant foul is under review
    - Personal fouls increase from 5 to 6 per player (experimental for 2016 post season only)

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

It might help speed up the game Toretto will this affect your handicapping

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    It might help speed up the game Toretto will this affect your handicapping
    Yes absolutely. I'll tell you right now, right off the bat this affects games in first half of season in major way:

Defensive teams will benefit as they will force more shot clock violations ESPECIALLY against offensivey young teams that have freshmen scorers who are not used to the college game yet.

Doin The Hedges
    Doin The Hedges's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

I think it's going to make the game higher scoring. Alot of times they fart around knowing they have so much time, and never get into a rhythm. now they are forced to strike faster, it will speed the game up

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by DOM_Toretto View Post
    Yes absolutely. I'll tell you right now, right off the bat this affects games in first half of season in major way:

Defensive teams will benefit as they will force more shot clock violations ESPECIALLY against offensivey young teams that have freshmen scorers who are not used to the college game yet.
    kid always thinking

Doin The Hedges
    Doin The Hedges's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

kid always thinking
    Ill continue winning at a 60% clip

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7799

shot clock adjustment won't matter as much as people think it will. it will give the game more possessions, but the desperation the game needs on offense i.e. real offense with motion and hard cuts will not be there until the clock goes to 24.

if teams can't get a good shot off in 35 seconds, then they won't be able to get a better one off in 30 seconds. teams that routinely get good shots off will continue to do so, teams that milk the clock will continue to do so. i don't see a decided advantage one way or another from 30 to 35. virginia will work it to 30 and still be a bitch to contend with, and the teams with actual talent will continue to get something up prior to 30 as they already do.

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head

New speculations/rumors about timing rule changes around college players declaring for NBA draft. Would allow college players to attend the NBA combine BEFORE declaring for the draft or not. Potentially college players could attend the NBA combine and then decide whether to return to school or not.

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by DOM_Toretto View Post
    New speculations/rumors about timing rule changes around college players declaring for NBA draft. Would allow college players to attend the NBA combine BEFORE declaring for the draft or not. Potentially college players could attend the NBA combine and then decide whether to return to school or not.
    not bad because many then would realize they are not good enough

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head

not bad because many then would realize they are not good enough
    Exactly. For example, Chris Walker (Florida) has zero reason to be in NBA draft. Go back to school you fool.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

6 fouls is a big change. They can't be doing this for March madness? Just the other tournaments?

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    6 fouls is a big change. They can't be doing this for March madness? Just the other tournaments?
    Yes March Madness included. All post season games is what I've read. I think its a good idea.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

I like it...just odd that they'd experiment with it in the most important tournament of the year

jjgold

If the games are not shortened and still a lot of fouls there will be still a terrible product on the floor

DOM_Toretto
    Hoop Head

UPDATE: On Monday, June 9 2015, the NCAA playing rules oversight panel APPROVED the rule changes.

Highlights
    - 30 second shot clock
    - only 3 timeouts in 2H
    - team timeouts can take place of TV timeouts
    - arc increased to 4ft under basket
    - no resets on half court 10-second clock
    - coaches can't call live ball timeouts
    - only 15 seconds to sub after a foul out
    - replay use on potential shot clock violations
    - eliminate 5 second rule while dribbling

The experiment to add a 6th personal foul will not take place in the NCAA March Madness tourney - only the smaller ones (NIT, CIT, CBI...)