iifold
    Update your status
    iifold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1774

Hate what A.J. Preller and the Padres are doing this off-season...

2014 Record:
    77-85
    Run Differential: -42

Let me start by saying I think the 2015 San Diego Padres will be a good team, but I absolutely hate what general manager A.J. Preller is doing this off-season. He is being praised by everyone it seems, but I personally think he's making desperate moves and killing the franchise long term.

Timing: I think timing is everything when it comes to winning in professional sports. (Just ask the Hakeem Olajuwon led Rockets who won back-to-back titles when Michael Jordan left the league for a few years) Windows open and close in sports, and it's very important for teams to make their moves at the right time to give themselves the best possible chance at a title or World Series. Instead of focusing on all 30 teams in the league, let's just look at the Padres own 5-team division. They'll have to beat out the defending World Series Champions (Giants) and the Dodgers who have the best pitcher in the game and unlimited cash! So even if Preller pushes all the right buttons moving forward, he still needs one, if not both of these two teams to falter. Good luck with that!

Ballpark: Petco Park where the Padres play is a pitchers park with a huge outfield. It is at the bottom of list every year when it comes to runs scored or Park Factor. So you must (in my opinion) structure your team around your park, since it is proven to be so much different than the average park. In my opinion, a team that plays at Petco Park should have fast outfielders that can cover their huge outfield! I understand that you have to sacrifice hitting and power for this speed, but I think the runs saved on defense will outweigh the runs scored by slower, better hitting players.

So who did Preller bring in to play outfield in 2015?? Wil Myers, Matt Kemp, and Justin Upton. These are basically three right fielders that must play in the field because the NL doesn't have a designated hitter! Three right fielders to roam around one of the biggest fields in the game?? Someone please explain this!

Wil Myers (-1.1), Matt Kemp (-3.1), and Justin Upton (-0.9) are all below average defenders to begin with! (2014 dWAR- defensive wins above replacement)

I love the rotation they have put together, but I promise you the guys in that rotation will not love who will be chasing down flyballs in 2015! And guess who is going to get sick of crushing balls to the warning track? Yep, Preller's new outfielders!

The Future: The Padres have parted ways with six of their top fifteen prospects so far this off-season! Four of which were top-10 prospects! That is a lot of talent to give away for some power hitting outfielders that should never be in the same outfield!

About five years from now, the Dodgers and Giants windows will be closing, these prospects will be entering their prime playing years, and A.J. Preller will probably be looking for a new job...

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 332

I've been saying the same thing. I don't see them better than 3rd place. The only real good thing I see is that he still has financial flexibility at the end of the year, because Kemp and Shields will be the only big contracts on the payroll. They should be building this team like the old Astros, and Cardinals teams of the 80's. Speed and solid pitching. I think they'll get good output from Upton, being in a contract year. Is Myers the real deal, though? Will Kemp stay healthy? Too many ifs. Reminds me of the Marlins when they opened their new stadium. Everyone was excited when they spen the money. Halfway through the season, it was like they got hit by a train.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

i could see them finishing in 4th place if the Giants can score some runs

Rockies and Dodgers will be the class of the division

Covy
    Covy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1430

Most prospects don't pan out.

I like these moves by the Padres.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Hopefully they make the Dodgers life a living hell

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7624

Bottomline is someone is trying to win games in san diego.

It's been awhile since that happened.

jt315
    jt315's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13730

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post

The Rockies have no shot.

Fidel_CashFlow
    Fidel_CashFlow's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30419

think you are seeing this correctly when you view it from the angle you mention.
    This ballpark does not fit these players at all, on both sides of the ball .
    Their infield isnt exactly a favorable one defensively as well
    Seems as if the Padres rotation is sneaky good though.
    Decent enough Ace and 2 guy, but I think their 3-4-5 is one of the better ones in the NL

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post

no way do Rockies have more wins @ end of the year than the Giants

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Bottomline is someone is trying to win games in san diego.

It's been awhile since that happened.
    Build up your farm system, sign some solid veterans for decent wages, and take care of business the old fashioned way. Signing a bunch of "big names" for huge deals isn't the way to get the job done in baseball. There will be serious buyer's remorse when this fantasy team falls apart.

JAKEPEAVY21
    JAKEPEAVY21's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 47642

The Padres farm system was ranked #1 in all of MLB a couple of years ago...not all prospects pan out, especially for SD skill position players.
    Points Awarded:

Big Bear gave JAKEPEAVY21 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

minet123
    Is JJ a Higher Power ?
    minet123's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3753

All in on the Brewers