Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 408

Will The Letter Of Intent Become A Thing Of The Past?

The recruitment of four-star linebacker Roquan Smith has been a whirlwind. On National Signing Day, Smith announced on ESPNU that he would sign with UCLA. He changed his mind after learning that UCLA defensive coordinator Jeff Ulbrich was leaving and never sent in his letter of intent (LOI). After reopening his recruitment to Georgia, Texas A&M, Michigan, and even UCLA, Smith was expected to take about a week to make his final decision.

A new report from AJC.com states that Roquan Smith has "no timetable" but "doesn't expect it to drag out too much longer." More interestingly, Smith's coach Larry Harold told AJC.com's Michael Carvell that he will not sign an LOI when he commits to a school. This will delay his official status as a signee to his first day of summer classes.

Coach Larry Harold on the decision (AJC.com)

"He’s not going to sign a letter of intent," Harold said. "The reason why is because what he went through last week. This just gives us flexibility in case something else unexpectedly happens again."

Texas A&M and the other schools involved have agreed to accept Smith's commitment without an LOI. Smith's decision may create ripples across the college football landscape if the best prospects decide to forgo signing an LOI in the future. The LOI binds players to the school they choose and they must forfeit a year of eligibility if they decide to attend a different school, even before showing up for classes.

This seems to be a common theme lately. Read about the story of Mike Weber, and Ohio State. No way the running backs coach, who was instrumental in recruiting this kid, just found out, interviewed, and was hired by the Chicago Bears one day after Weber signed. These are high school kids that need stability, going out on their own for the first time. If the recruit is good enough, he can probably afford to wait, knowing that a coach might hold that slot for them.

downsouth
    Bobbywaves is a stiff
    downsouth's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 25123

Yeah, and now you will have guys waiting to the last possible minute and schools not filling full scholarship allotment as they wait for more hollywood drama from these kids.

I see the kids point as well with the coaches leaving but all that will happen is more mid/lower range recruits and to even lower tier schools will be hurt as more and more flop around to the very last minute.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

no idea

I can care less

I just bet on GAME DAY

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 408

Quote Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
    Yeah, and now you will have guys waiting to the last possible minute and schools not filling full scholarship allotment as they wait for more hollywood drama from these kids.

I see the kids point as well with the coaches leaving but all that will happen is more mid/lower range recruits and to even lower tier schools will be hurt as more and more flop around to the very last minute.
    I totally agree. The mid/lower recruits will be hurt, and that sucks. In the same breath, if I'm a parent of one of these kids, I'm pissed off as hell that some of these coaches are taking liberties with my child, selling them on something that might not totally be true. You, as a coach, are offering a scholarship to my child, but you are also, in a way, taking the responsibility of my kid's welfare. Just be up front, and honest, about who's going to be there. If your program is so damn good, you shouldn't have to hide details like that.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

They should move signing day up...or have an early signing day period.

You commit to a school, not a coach. Especially not an assistant. What UCLA did was a little wrong, but it shouldn't have affected the kids decision.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

He picked Georgia