d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21641

Can Byron Scott be this stupid?

So the Grizzlies get the ball with 24 seconds left up 1. Foul, right? No. Lin doesn't foul and Kobe sprints to take it and gets pissed off.

After the game, Byron Scott says he didn't want Lin to foul until the 10 second mark. Wait, what? Lakers had to foul or Grizz run the clock out. Why would you wait? You foul as soon as possible to extend the game. This is basic stuff. Did Scott really say that or was he protecting Lin for some reason. This isn't one of those debatable strategy things. If Scott thinks this is correct he doesn't belong on the sidelines.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2015/...in-lakers-foul

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7671

What was the total on the game?

TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

byron scott is an idiot. but lin has shown repeatedly at end of games that he loses sight of situation. i'm sure he was protecting lin.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by TwoWays View Post
    byron scott is an idiot. but lin has shown repeatedly at end of games that he loses sight of situation. i'm sure he was protecting lin.
    Doesn't sound like it. Both gave the same story. Lin even said he asked Scott 2 or 3 times. Then Scott specifically said he had wanted to wait until the 10 second mark. That is just unforgivably stupid 'strategy.' There are times where reasonable minds can differ, but when you need a foul in this situation, you don't wait. You extend the game. If they had taken it at the 18 second instead of 10 second mark you leave open the ability to go for 2 and foul again. You simple go for a quick steal, otherwise foul. You don't WAIT. That's just absurdly stupid. All the experience Byron Scott has and that's what he thinks. Mind baffling stuff.

TwoWays

i doubt it. just butt covering for lin by byron. kid was getting toasted by conley and udrih.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

How many times has Byron been fired already...3? Yet the Lakers think he's the answer...right

gauchojake
    Have Some Asthma
    gauchojake's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13188

Team Tank!!!!

great move IMO.

TwoWays

lin mistook the word elbow for go earlier this year against memphis and lost the chance at tying the game. dude just is lost when it comes to basketball iq.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

i doubt it. just butt covering for lin by byron. kid was getting toasted by conley and udrih.
    So you think Lin was lying too?

https://vine.co/v/OdqVYZj29aK

"...I should foul and then he said no. (laughing) And I asked like two or three more times and he kept saying no."

TwoWays

d2 just get over it. its just a case of butt covering for lin.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

d2 just get over it. its just a case of butt covering for lin.
    Obviously it's not. Lin should have known better himself to ignore the coach (like Kobe did), but this was Scott's strategy.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

He is a dumb mother fukker

period

blackHIPPY
    THESE NIGGAS PLANKTON
    blackHIPPY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1610

That is how you tank
    magic did it last night

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6337

Its not really stupid, but 10 seconds may be pushing it. Im guessing they wanted to try and get a steal first or force a turnover, if that happens youre in a position to win the game. Remember after ft's you can call TO and get the ball on your end of the court, so 10 seconds is really an eternity.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

don't mind twoways, he's the biggest lin hater. byron scott apologized to lin during the huddle.

jtoler

In that situation, Id be trying to force the ball out of Conley's hands, you dont want Conley, Lee, or any other guard shooting the ft, you want Zac or Tayshaun shooting it preferably.

upscope
    upscope's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6685

Here is Scott's thinking process on this. Anyway u look at it down 1 you're going to have to foul & likely go down 3 & then you're going to have one shot at a tying 3. Scott runs it down to 10 because if the Lakers hit the 3 the Grizz likely have little or no time for a game winner. If you foul @ the 24 sec mark & they make both freebies & Lakers hit a tying 3 then the Grizz will have like 10-15 sec to set UP a game winner. Do I agree with this above strategy....NO I don't, I think you foul right away as well. The point is OP is making this out to be some bone heading coaching decision & it's really not that at all.

The unacceptable part is just letting them dribble it down to the 10 sec point. It would have been ok to not foul until the 10 sec mark if Lin was at least pressuring the ball & trying to possibly come UP with a steal or force a turnover. But to just let them dribble it out down to 10 sec is not solid strategy.

jtoler

Lol ok, I said all that without watching the video, there is no pressure on ball handler so yea just simply waiting till 10 second mark is stupid.

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by upscope View Post
    Here is Scott's thinking process on this. Anyway u look at it down 1 you're going to have to foul & likely go down 3 & then you're going to have one shot at a tying 3. Scott runs it down to 10 because if the Lakers hit the 3 the Grizz likely have little or no time for a game winner. If you foul @ the 24 sec mark & they make both freebies & Lakers hit a tying 3 then the Grizz will have like 10-15 sec to set UP a game winner. Do I agree with this above strategy....NO I don't, I think you foul right away as well. The point is OP is making this out to be some bone heading coaching decision & it's really not that at all.

The unacceptable part is just letting them dribble it down to the 10 sec point. It would have been ok to not foul until the 10 sec mark if Lin was at least pressuring the ball & trying to possibly come UP with a steal or force a turnover. But to just let them dribble it out down to 10 sec is not solid strategy.
    Maybe thats what he's thinking but who knows, if he said he made a mistake then its probably not what he was thinking.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

if you're down by 1 with less than 24 sec in the nba. you want to foul and extend the game as long as possible. by fouling and trading layups for fts, you have a better chance of tying the game than just chucking up a 3. you don't want to shoot a 3 until you're forced to or you're wide open. byron scott is just dumb, period.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Ghenghis Kahn View Post
    if you're down by 1 with less than 24 sec in the nba. you want to foul and extend the game as long as possible. by fouling and trading layups for fts, you have a better chance of tying the game than just chucking up a 3. you don't want to shoot a 3 until you're forced to or you're wide open. byron scott is just dumb, period.
    Yep.

I'm sue that was his "thought" process, but it's just flat out wrong. BY doing this, you make yourself predictable and one-dimensional in the last few seconds. If they had been pressuring, trying to steal and forcing the ball from Conley, then I can see that. But to just sit back and wait for the 10 second mark is inexcusable stupid.

jtoler

Just fouling right away to extend game isn't the smartest thing to do you want to get it out of their best ft shooters hands.

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

This is mind-boggling. Why in the world would you wait to foul? That makes zero sense.

There are only three scenarios to explain this decision:

#1. Byron Scott had Lakers +4.
    #2. Byron Scott was attempting to help the Lakers tank.
    #3. Byron Scott is the dumbest coach in the history of the NBA.

I'm leaning strongly towards #3.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: d2bets

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

then again, byron scott is good friends with magic no? and you know magic wants lakers to tank so you never know.

upscope

Some of u people r helpless muppets

The Giant

Some of u people r helpless muppets
    Explain.

upscope

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Explain.
    Because some people r coaching @ the highest level in the world & others r sitting on their couch criticizing as if their thought process was fact & the coach @ the highest level in the world is "flat out wrong"

There r many reasons why you wouldn't immediately foul in that spot, many of those reasons have been presented in this thread but several of the muppets continue to sweep them under the rug & say the coach @ the highest level in the world is an idiot.
    The mistake that Scott made wasn't not fouling right away the mistake he made was by not pressuring the ball & looking for a steal or turnover or as jtoler correctly explained force the ball out of the best ft shooters hands & into the the worst ft shooters hands. Thats coaching 101.

Many here think that you foul immediately, & that is whats actually 100% wrong. That would be the muppet thinking process. Conley shoots 85% & 24 seconds is a long time in an NBA game. There's a sleuth of things you attempt to do before you immediately foul down 1 with 24 sec to play. The muppets refuse to see this & just scream foul!!

The Giant

Because some people r coaching @ the highest level in the world & others r sitting on their couch criticizing as if their thought process was fact & the coach @ the highest level in the world is "flat out wrong"

There r many reasons why you wouldn't immediately foul in that spot, many of those reasons have been presented in this thread but several of the muppets continue to sweep them under the rug & say the coach @ the highest level in the world is an idiot.
    The mistake that Scott made wasn't not fouling right away the mistake he made was by not pressuring the ball & looking for a steal or turnover or as jtoler correctly explained force the ball out of the best ft shooters hands & into the the worst ft shooters hands. Thats coaching 101.

Many here think that you foul immediately, & that is whats actually 100% wrong. That would be the muppet thinking process. Conley shoots 85% & 24 seconds is a long time in an NBA game. There's a sleuth of things you attempt to do before you immediately foul down 1 with 24 sec to play. The muppets refuse to see this & just scream foul!!
    Do you agree that you either have to pressure the ball OR foul right away?

Byron Scott decided to do neither.

That makes him an idiot.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

i stopped at highest level. you're fukking clown. stfu.

play4win
    play4win's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5173

kobe had to act like a piece of shyt like he always is.
    you had seen his bytch @$$, overreacting like it was ending of everything.
    and why is byron still the coach when kobe has everything to say.

upscope

i stopped at highest level. you're fukking clown. stfu.
    There's a higher level than the NBA??

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

There's a higher level than the NBA??
    just because he coaches in the nba doesn't mean he knows what he's doing.

you know that scott was apologizing to lin in the huddle when kobe was chewing him out.

scott knows he fukked up. besides, kobe's the coach of that team, not scott.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7671

just because he coaches in the nba doesn't mean he knows what he's doing.

you know that scott was apologizing to lin in the huddle when kobe was chewing him out.

scott knows he fukked up. besides, kobe's the coach of that team, not scott.
    lmao. sure. scott is a laker legend. its okay he is allowed to be an idiot

upscope

Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Do you agree that you either have to pressure the ball OR foul right away?

Byron Scott decided to do neither.

That makes him an idiot.
    Yes i do agree & have stated approx 5x's in the thread that you pressure the ball. You don't foul right away. If you choose not to pressure the ball then YES you foul right away. One or the other & since you have 24 sec pressuring the ball is the preference.

The key to this whole scenario & what the muppets don't understand is the Lakers are down 1 & you are guaranteed another possession with a chance to tie as your worst case scenario. If you are down 2 or more then it now becomes an automatic foul immediately situation to extend the game.
    At the NBA level you only extend games as a last resort. In this scenario that was not a last resort. I promise you there isn't a single coach in the league that would have fouled immediately in that spot. However 95% of them would have pressured/trapped ect.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR

lakerboy, i'm from la, i know more about the lakers than you. don't pretend like you know about the lakers and their dynamics.

12 Last