BriGuy
    BriGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4143

Quote Originally Posted by homie1975 View Post
    Oregon is #2 right now while FSU is #4 in the CFP ranking.
    That's right but if we were using the BCS, right now (prior to Sat. Dec. 6's games) it would be #1 Alabama, #2, FSU, #3 Oregon.
    how do you know where they would rank Oregon in the BCS when the BCS is no longer in play? please let us know the computer rankings in the Harris Poll rankings that the BCS used when NEITHER is in fukking existence right now. the BCS was 1/3 computer and 2/3 was human polls.

some of you say things that boggles my mind. the lack of info on college football is unreal. just unreal
    The only one displaying lack of college football knowledge is you.

For your information, I did run the numbers. I took all 6 computer polls and the Coaches poll. NEWSFLASH: All the computer polls the BCS used are still generated, it's only the Harris Poll which no longer exists. (Gee, what was that you were saying about other people who lack college football knowledge??)

Coaches Poll: #1 Alabama, #2 FSU, #3 Oregon
    Computers Poll Average: #1 Alabama and FSU (tied), #3 Oregon

That's 2/3rds of your BCS formula right there. There's no way the Harris Poll pushes Oregon into the top-2 when both the other polls have Alabama then Florida State - especially since, historically speaking, the Harris Poll overwhelmingly lined up right alongside the coaches poll and has never disagreed by more than 1 spot in the top-4.

So what was that you were saying about other people not knowing college football? Really, I want to hear you say that again. I need the laugh.

homie1975
    homie1975's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11090

yes I'm sure you ran ALL of the numbers and know EXACTLY what the BCS would have right now (rolling eyes)

run your numbers again tomorrow when ALL POLLS and Computer numbers are in and let's see what it shows after FSU struggles but beats GaTech today and Oregon stomped Zona last night.

BriGuy

yes I'm sure you ran ALL of the numbers and know EXACTLY what the BCS would have right now (rolling eyes)
    Yes, I did. I'm sure numbers are something that confuse the hell out of you, but it's pretty easy for anyone with a 9th grader's knowledge of Excel and google.

We know 2/3rds of the BCS formula have Alabama and FSU as #1 and #2. The only unknown is the Harris Poll, but history is overwhelmingly on my side considering that, historically speaking, the Harris Poll's final rankings have never disagreed with the coaches poll by more than 1 spot when evaluating the top 4 teams. It would take something ridiculous from the Harris Poll to overrule what the other 2/3rds say like having Oregon #1 and Florida State #4 (or worse). It's just not realistic to think they would break it down like that.

Never in the history of the BCS have 2 polls agreed on #1 and #2 but been overruled by the 3rd poll (when I say "history of the BCS", I mean the history of the BCS using the formula they eventually settled down with which brought them through the finals years of its existence, I am not talking about the "old days").
    run your numbers again tomorrow when ALL POLLS and Computer numbers are in and let's see what it shows after FSU struggles but beats GaTech today and Oregon stomped Zona last night.
    Oh I gladly admit things could change after today. All I've done is accurately point out that going into this weekend, Oregon would have been the #3 team in the BCS.

For some reason, that statement of fact really gets your panties in a bunch.
    Last edited by BriGuy; 12-06-14 at 03:14 PM.

homie1975

Fwiw i think it's an absolute joke that undefeated fsu is ranked 4th by the cfp committee. So what if they don't win pretty they are the only undefeated team in the country. I'm glad the human polls see what is obvious that the 12 person cfp committee cannot: fsu deserves to be in the top 2

BriGuy

Fwiw i think it's an absolute joke that undefeated fsu is ranked 4th by the cfp committee. So what if they don't win pretty they are the only undefeated team in the country. I'm glad the human polls see what is obvious that the 12 person cfp committee cannot: fsu deserves to be in the top 2
    I agree with that, and I think what they are doing is they are determining the top-4 teams and then seeding them in such a way to have the ideal first round matchups. Alabama-FSU in the Sugar Bowl makes more sense than sending FSU all the way to California.

Today's results could throw all that out of whack, but if the top 4 all win (and 2 of them already have), I just don't see any changes in the seeding.

homie1975

Ga tech clearly a live dog tonight

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by BriGuy View Post
    I agree with that, and I think what they are doing is they are determining the top-4 teams and then seeding them in such a way to have the ideal first round matchups. Alabama-FSU in the Sugar Bowl makes more sense than sending FSU all the way to California.

Today's results could throw all that out of whack, but if the top 4 all win (and 2 of them already have), I just don't see any changes in the seeding.
    I think the seedings should be true. Why should fsu have to play bama in the first semifinal? Oh yea it's because they want more bama and fsu fans to be able to go to new Orleans. How is the cfp and the seeding any different than traditional bowls then? They try and get the matchup that will put the most booties in the seats. I don't like putting fsu at 4 instead if 2 due to other intangibles. I don't like it at all

homie1975

Those of u comparing this to the ncaa tourney where teams left out of the field of 68 are bitching, and thinking it is parallel to teams 5, 6, 7 bitching about being left out of the ncaa football final 4, are making a strawman argument that is not even worthy of a response

Andy117
    Andy117's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25689

we'll see. in 16 or so years of the BCS they had the two best teams in there probably 12 times maybe more. the BCS did extremely well
    75% of the time they got it right, ok so how often do you think the new playoff system will leave out the one of the two best? That's really the point to me, 4 teams makes it very unlikely that they'll miss on one of the top teams.

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by Andy117 View Post
    75% of the time they got it right, ok so how often do you think the new playoff system will leave out the one of the two best? That's really the point to me, 4 teams makes it very unlikely that they'll miss on one of the top teams.
    How many times have the 1 seeds in the afc and nfc made the super bowl let alone won it? I will give a hint. It happens less than half the time. If u have 6 one loss teams how do u know who is best? Today ohio st wouldve beaten anyone in the country

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Most of the time the best team wins the college football and basketball championship

homie1975

so much for the theory that the committee wanted to send FSU to the Sugar Bowl for geographical reasons LOL

BriGuy

Those of u comparing this to the ncaa tourney where teams left out of the field of 68 are bitching, and thinking it is parallel to teams 5, 6, 7 bitching about being left out of the ncaa football final 4, are making a strawman argument that is not even worthy of a response
    It doesn't matter how many teams you have, there is always going to be an argument about the final team in and the top team left out. But I do know this: 4 teams in is better than 2.

I schooled you yesterday by proving that under the BCS, Oregon would have been left out. So please tell us how a system that leaves out Baylor and TCU is worse than a system that leaves out Oregon, Ohio State, Baylor and TCU.

homie1975

Quote Originally Posted by BriGuy View Post
    It doesn't matter how many teams you have, there is always going to be an argument about the final team in and the top team left out. But I do know this: 4 teams in is better than 2.

I schooled you yesterday by proving that under the BCS, Oregon would have been left out. So please tell us how a system that leaves out Baylor and TCU is worse than a system that leaves out Oregon, Ohio State, Baylor and TCU.

how about your theory that FSU was #4 in last week's poll due to seeding, in that the committee wanted the matchup v Bama in the sugar bowl.

you were DEAD WRONG son

BriGuy

how about your theory that FSU was #4 in last week's poll due to seeding, in that the committee wanted the matchup v Bama in the sugar bowl.

you were DEAD WRONG son
    Oh that was just conspiracy theory guesswork based on the fact that the only undefeated team in the nation was #4, but certainly nothing I took terribly seriously.

Meanwhile, do you have anything intelligent to say about how I totally schooled you about the BCS? You remember how you said all those computer polls used in the BCS no longer existed, proving you don't have the first clue what you are talking about?

Guess what, boy? You know how numbers are so complicated and give you headaches? Well I ran all the numbers again now that all the polls are out and the results are the same: Under the BCS, it would be Alabama and Florida State.

So please tell us all again how a system that left Baylor out is better than a system that would have left OREGON out.

First 12