3runhomer
    3runhomer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1901

Final ECU/Cincy Play?

Obviously that final play in the ECU/Cincy game changed alot for folks, me included...

I had bet ECU +5.5 live during the 3rd quarter...

My question is: Will that final play be reviewed? It appeared to be a forward lateral, which would nullify the TD, but they quickly stormed the field and moved on...

I can stomach a bad beat...but I just want to know the procedure for these last play scores in games...?

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

I thought it was forward. Doubt they'll review. Games final

3runhomer
    3runhomer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1901

Yeah...that's what I was figuring...I know bad beats happen, but that is one of the more brutal ways to end a game...especially coming after Cincy hitting that long field goal to even take the lead...

Time to move on...

TiredPro
    TiredPro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 716

Not that it helps, but the bought ref who had East Carolina and threw the very late interference flag allowing East Carolina to score late also had a bad beat. He wasn't counting on Cincy kicking the field goal to win.

DrunkHorseplayer
    Redskins forever
    DrunkHorseplayer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19593

Don't think a forward lateral nullifies the TD; penalty on white which would obviously be declined.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHorseplayer View Post
    Don't think a forward lateral nullifies the TD; penalty on white which would obviously be declined.
    It would if the forward lateral hits the ground, because that would have ended the play, same as if it was a legal incomplete pass.

Ronald S.
    Ronald S.'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 101

Can't help but wonder what would have happened if that TD decided the total or the spread in a heavily bet game with lopsided action. Would the refs have reviewed it if it would save vegas a whole heap of money?

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7858

Forward lateral? Step your terminology game up, SBR

recon1
    Yep
    recon1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5637

Quote Originally Posted by 3runhomer View Post
    Obviously that final play in the ECU/Cincy game changed alot for folks, me included...

My question is: Will that final play be reviewed? It appeared to be a forward lateral, which would nullify the TD, but they quickly stormed the field and moved on...

I can stomach a bad beat...but I just want to know the procedure for these last play scores in games...?
    Final means final. Only thing the NCAA would do at most is send out a press release stating call was bad, will try better next time basically.
    Better luck next time.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by texhooper View Post
    Forward lateral? Step your terminology game up, SBR
    But that is exactly what it is called, the penalty for an illegal forward pass on what was intended to be a lateral is referred to as a forward lateral. Oxymoronic I know, but it is what it is.

Da Manster!
    Da Manster!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2774

Tommy Tuberville got lucky as shit and should have been fired after the game had Cinci lost the game...Worst call I have ever seen by a head coach, especially of his pedigree...going for it on 4th and 2 with the ball at their own 30 and about 1:30 seconds left to play but leading the game 45 - 40!!...should have punted!...I literally screamed at the TV!....I wish ECU would have held them after they scored on that gift TD to take the lead 46 - 45 and then let the media rip coach T to shreds for that idiotic and bonehead move.

BriGuy
    BriGuy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4143

Quote Originally Posted by 3runhomer View Post

It is eligible to be reviews, but that would require officials who actually gave a damn. The NFL definitely would have reviewed it but in college they tend to just blow it off when it happens on the final play and doesn't impact the outcome of the game itself.

That's why the NCAA made a rule that there are no more extra points attempted when a team scores at 0:00 left on the clock (unless, of course, the extra point could impact the winner of the game). Some refs would do the extra point and others would blow it off so they had to make a standard rule.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7858

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    But that is exactly what it is called, the penalty for an illegal forward pass on what was intended to be a lateral is referred to as a forward lateral. Oxymoronic I know, but it is what it is.
    Yeah you're right. And damn, I was so confident...

fried cheese
    Update your status
    fried cheese's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 17000

Quote Originally Posted by Da Manster! View Post
    Tommy Tuberville got lucky as shit and should have been fired after the game had Cinci lost the game...Worst call I have ever seen by a head coach, especially of his pedigree...going for it on 4th and 2 with the ball at their own 30 and about 1:30 seconds left to play but leading the game 45 - 40!!...should have punted!...I literally screamed at the TV!....I wish ECU would have held them after they scored on that gift TD to take the lead 46 - 45 and then let the media rip coach T to shreds for that idiotic and bonehead move.
    although i think he is a bad coach i think its pretty funny you would rather depend on your defense which has given up 40 already than on the offense, the strength of your team, to win a game. i know i would want him to punt if i was east carolina.

flocko76
    flocko76's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3316

just watched the replay on espn. it looks like a legal backwards lateral.

Spedizzo
    Spedizzo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 158

I caught the end of the game too

ECU should be ashamed of themselves

so many opportunities

is there a rule in college football where the extra point does not have to be kicked on a last second touchdown where it puts the team up? in the NFL, when the Seahawks had that controversial touchdown against the Packers a few years ago, the refs made the Packers come back from the locker room so Seahawks could kick extra point?

is college/NFL different in that regard??

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
    I caught the end of the game too

ECU should be ashamed of themselves

so many opportunities

is there a rule in college football where the extra point does not have to be kicked on a last second touchdown where it puts the team up? in the NFL, when the Seahawks had that controversial touchdown against the Packers a few years ago, the refs made the Packers come back from the locker room so Seahawks could kick extra point?

is college/NFL different in that regard??
    Yes they are different. In college, if a touchdown is scored on the final play of regulation, the try is not attempted unless the score of the game is within 2 points either way. In NFL, if you score on the final play of regulation, they force you to go for PAT (or two if you elect to). NFL does NOT force you to do so in overtime though.

crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4099

Quote Originally Posted by Da Manster! View Post
    This is true and I agree with all of it but in hindsight ECU would've been better off with the punt. They scored the TD with too much time left on the clock and their defense had proven all night long they couldn't stop Cincy.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

Please correct me if I'm wrong but aren't all scoring plays reviewed in college football?

I know it didn't matter on the outcome of the game but still it needs to be reviewed regardless.