Seaweed
    Update your status
    Seaweed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6952

Do The Toronto Raptors Have a Chance To Win The East?

Are they contenders or pretenders? Top 4 teams in East I would rank Cleveland, Chicago, Washington, and Toronto up there with Brooklyn in the mix.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

No saer they are still toronto at the end of day saer

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

nah bruh.

only contenders in the East are the Bulls and Cavs.

Maybe the Hornets if they get that trade for Kobe worked out.

IMO 2 future 1st rounds and Zeller is a bit much i say fukk it ... do it.

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Right now... Miami is the best team in the East. Cleveland will become that team but it will take time.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Goat Milk View Post
    Right now... Miami is the best team in the East. Cleveland will become that team but it will take time.
    Hornets already beat Miami goater

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    Hornets already beat Miami goater
    And?

wildemu
    wildemu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1574

Raptors have too many flaws (defense, rebounding). Cleveland, Miami, Chicago, and maybe even Washington (if they get their act together) can surpass them.

SpreadSniper
    SpreadSniper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7261

Yes, the Raps definitely have a chance to come out of the East with the best record.... they are only going to get better and don't really take nights off like other teams.

MoMoneyMoVaughn
    Down but not out
    MoMoneyMoVaughn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4547

Toronto 's only win against a decent team is @home v Washington.

They are untested, perhaps more so than any other team.

CDUBB_CW
    CDUBB_CW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8112

Too early to have this debate.

WinningSince86
    WinningSince86's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 152

Cavs win the east. End of argument.

icecapper
    icecapper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 394

Definite shot. Got them at 15-1.

Seaweed
    Update your status
    Seaweed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6952

Quote Originally Posted by MoMoneyMoVaughn View Post
    Toronto 's only win against a decent team is @home v Washington.

They are untested, perhaps more so than any other team.
    What if they beat Bulls next game?

Luckycharms2012
    Luckycharms2012's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5412

Yes. The Raptors have the best chemistry, the core has been together the longest. IMO Lowry is a top 5 PG in the NBA, he plays both sides of the ball at a high level every night and he does what is needed to win, scores, assists, D, whatever. Derozan, Lowry, Ross, Val, all are young and improving. They added Lou Williams for scoring now.....only the REFS will stop the Raptors when they really get going.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

They're all very close I also think when the nets are healthy they are underrated

CrimsonTideFan
    CrimsonTideFan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 744

bjb7223
    bjb7223's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8973

Quote Originally Posted by Seaweed View Post
    Are they contenders or pretenders? Top 4 teams in East I would rank Cleveland, Chicago, Washington, and Toronto up there with Brooklyn in the mix.
    No chance

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly
    Dollars2Donuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 589

Do the Raps have a chance to win the East?

Absolutely, yes.

The Raps have a few things going for them....they are young, they play VERY good group defense (as opposed to the one comment above), they have played with one another for years already and, maybe more important than any other factor, they are the deepest team in the East if not all of the NBA.

I actually like that they do not have a superstar, although Derozan is verging on that if he keeps improving the way he has the last 4 seasons....and just like every season before, his have is still evolving. He is not taking it to the rim more, and relying on the 3 less. Lou Williams can come in now and hold down the fort on the offensive side of the ball when Derozan needs a rest.

Valanciunas is getting better and the guy is only in his early 20's still....hard to believe he is so young. By the time he physically matures at 25 he could be amongst the best centres in the NBA. The Raps have been so smart with him and controlled his development and his minted almost perfectly. He has a very good no nonsense backup in Steimsma....a guy that works his tail off and has the skills to be a very good option for 12-15 minutes per game.

Kyle Lowry is still getting better....I used to hate him because he was a 'me first' guy...but that has truly changed. He now puts his teamates and winning ahead of everything else....and he loves his boys, otherwise he would have jetted for more money, which would definitely have been on the table. He also has a very good, and getting better every day, true '1' backup in Vasquez. He isn't just another guy to bring up the ball, he can handle the point, dish the ball and penetrate or shoot when needed. Yes, still a work in progress, but the right kind of guy to be relying on.

With Amir Johnson, James Johnson, Patrick Patterson Terrance Ross all available at Forward, you would be hard pressed to find a group of forwards that will give you more quality minutes than these guys. Amir can also spell you at C with real quality minutes and they can all score and because the whole group are so nicely balanced, injuries and too many hard minutes shouldn't be a concern at any point. Patterson is a good leader and Ross can give you instant offense and is REALLY improving his defensive game. I should also mention Tyler Hansbrough, who will also give you hard working minutes and lives to throw around his big body. I still think he could be an even better player than he is....and he can also play minutes at C.

That leaves two guys yet to be mentioned, Chuck Hayes and Landry Fields....two guys that get minutes in most teams be don't really make the rotation here except in garbage time.

As I said above....nobody can match the Raps depth as they can go with an entire second unit (when switching Ross to the 2, and compete with most teams on most nights. Again, I am not saying the Raps will win, I am saying that they need to be in the conversation. I believe they are better than the Wizards and the Heat and that in a series that they will have a chance against the Bulls and the Cavs. Only time will tell.

jjgold

Dollar Bill great post man you get in some detail

I bet you're good at your job

CDUBB_CW
    CDUBB_CW's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8112

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Dollar Bill great post man you get in some detail

I bet you're good at your job
    JJ you're a funny guy.

killersweet
    killersweet's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9409

I hope teams keep on underestimating the raptors and it is good for that team. They tend to play with the chip on their shoulders. Raptors have a good shot at making the 2nd round this year. People tend to point out they essentially have the same team as last year and that is some how a bad thing. I think it helped this team that they didn't change the personnel. They have great team chemistry and players genuinely like each other. Baring any major injuries, they are going to win 50 games this season and a real threat to whomever they face in the playoffs.

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly

I Bet that almost nobody knows that the Raps are 48-22 in their last 70....playing close to .700 ball, even in the East, in not something to scoff at.

killersweet

Quote Originally Posted by Dollars2Donuts View Post
    I Bet that almost nobody knows that the Raps are 48-22 in their last 70....playing close to .700 ball, even in the East, in not something to scoff at.
    I think it comes down to playoff ball. Until raptors can beat teams in the playoffs, no one in the States going to notice this team.

jjgold

I think there about 8–1 choice

Well that's what my odds are

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    I think there about 8–1 choice

Well that's what my odds are
    I don't bet futures, but if I did I would have grabbed them before the season when they were way higher....I think they were somewhere around 22 to 1 or higher....again, cannot remember because I don't bet futures. At 6-1 so far on the year, and with them falling to 8 to 1, I would definitely not make that wager. Still a long shot.

bjb7223
    bjb7223's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8973

7-1

upscope
    upscope's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6685

Quote Originally Posted by Seaweed View Post
    Why isn't anybody giving Miami any credit. They r the 3rd best team in the East yet nobody even mentions them.

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly

Quote Originally Posted by upscope View Post
    Why isn't anybody giving Miami any credit. They r the 3rd best team in the East yet nobody even mentions them.
    People have mentioned the Heat in this thread....and if you mean 'the third best team in the East' right now because of their record this year....we are barely 10% into the season. Let's see where everyone lines up after 30 games at least. The Heat could still be a factor in the East this year....but I don't think Bosh keeps this up and I think their lack of depth sinks them....7th or 8th in the East and a first round exit.

Seto
    Jose Mourinho: simply the best
    Seto's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2560

Quote Originally Posted by killersweet View Post
    I think it comes down to playoff ball. Until raptors can beat teams in the playoffs, no one in the States going to notice this team.

They were exposed badly last year in the playoffs. Now obviously it's still a young team that could possibly learn from that experience and come back stronger.

upscope
    upscope's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6685

Quote Originally Posted by Dollars2Donuts View Post
    People have mentioned the Heat in this thread....and if you mean 'the third best team in the East' right now because of their record this year....we are barely 10% into the season. Let's see where everyone lines up after 30 games at least. The Heat could still be a factor in the East this year....but I don't think Bosh keeps this up and I think their lack of depth sinks them....7th or 8th in the East and a first round exit.
    No, I don't mean based on current record I mean they are the 3rd best team behind Cle/Chi. If you think Mia is a 7 or 8 seed then you are making my point why nobody is talking about them. people have them as a 7/8 when they should have them as a 3/4/5. Health is the key. If Wade & Bosh both stay healthy no way that Brooklyn & Atl is better.
    Why doesn't Bosh keep this UP??

Ticket#:36911707
    Jun 11 07:41 AM
    INTERNET / -1 Oct 08 01:48 AM MU STRAIGHT BET
    [92331] TOTAL o44-120
    (MIA HEAT RSW vrs MIA HEAT RSW) (TEAM MUST PLAY 82 GAMES FOR ACTION)
    240 / 200
    Last edited by upscope; 11-12-14 at 08:51 AM.

killersweet

Quote Originally Posted by Seto View Post

They were exposed badly last year in the playoffs. Now obviously it's still a young team that could possibly learn from that experience and come back stronger.
    Last season they drew the worst possible first round match up other than Miami in the first round in the playoffs. They still pushed the veteran savvy nets team to the limit. They are still young and growing as a group. They are still few tweaks away from being a true contender.

jjgold

always factor in defense

Toronto average at in that category

Pauulzcappin
    Pauulzcappin's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 568

Miami would run them out of the gym with ease if they matchup. Bosh is a nightmare for almost every team in the game now that he can shoot 3s

Probably a 2nd round exit