StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop
    StackinGreen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4514

Scenario: Bookie changes your menu without telling you

So, unlike the sending via express to settle accounts thread, this one actually happened:

I'm running through teaser and parlay menus and I realize that for football, which I had been sucessful at in parlays, 2 team now pays +250, 3 team pays +500, and 4 team pays +900 instead of 260, 600, 1000, as standard. I call up the PPH service he uses and after some discussion (who doesn't know the standard payouts, which is another edge) he finally realizes that the prices are off and says, "Yeah, your guy changed your menu."

Apart from this, had a good relationship, still do, just don't want to complain since I have to send him a bit to even accounts, but want to let it ride out a bit because he has been dishonest with me. Certainly not gonna do anything but I'm feeling like this one is a bit shadier of a move so I should be given more leeway.

Thoughts?

kmarinouofm
    Those who stay.. will be Champions!
    kmarinouofm's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3457

if you have a local that pays you and gives you decent numbers... Then this isn't the time to draw your line in the sand.

Considering what you pay to send and receive money offshore. Him taxing you a little on parlays isn't awful.

i would leave it alone.

warbux
    warbux's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3369

Remember bookies are not gentlemen, they are fair, but if you cross them they will break your legs.

Tommy Karate
    Update your status
    Tommy Karate's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12940

Quote Originally Posted by StackinGreen View Post
    So, unlike the sending via express to settle accounts thread, this one actually happened:

I'm running through teaser and parlay menus and I realize that for football, which I had been sucessful at in parlays, 2 team now pays +250, 3 team pays +500, and 4 team pays +900 instead of 260, 600, 1000, as standard. I call up the PPH service he uses and after some discussion (who doesn't know the standard payouts, which is another edge) he finally realizes that the prices are off and says, "Yeah, your guy changed your menu."

Apart from this, had a good relationship, still do, just don't want to complain since I have to send him a bit to even accounts, but want to let it ride out a bit because he has been dishonest with me. Certainly not gonna do anything but I'm feeling like this one is a bit shadier of a move so I should be given more leeway.

Thoughts?
    i wouldnt make a big deal about it.....something that changes the outcome of a bet (ie, rule about postponed games etc), that i would have an issue with

TheLangster
    TheLangster's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1675

if you are making money off him then dont rock the boat

thunderous
    Update your status
    thunderous's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 7111

This happened to me but what I also realized that to overcome it all I had to do was select a ML or buy a point somewhere so all selections of a parlay are not -110 and it changed to actual payment. Don't know if same thing will happen to you but play around who knows maybe its the same software my guy uses and you have a solution.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

wouldnt say anything

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!
    sweep's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2457

NO question i would bring this up and i wouldnt be nice about it either, this game is hard enough to beat getting true odds. If you have a sheet with this guy i would threaten leaving. This is bullshit

Bubble gum city

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

Quote Originally Posted by sweep View Post
    NO question i would bring this up and i wouldnt be nice about it either, this game is hard enough to beat getting true odds. If you have a sheet with this guy i would threaten leaving. This is bullshit

Bubble gum city
    This is my general response because we are both honorable and I hit on parlays early to give me big winning weeks, through end of baseball I noticed the parlay thing, +250 and +500 are remarkably lower payouts from the already juiced games (yes these are all -110s), thing is, even when you go 2 EV plays parlayed the number comes up as +250 and NOT +300 as it should be.

I just don't get it, long term I was up but if I stick around, as he knows, odds are I regress ... yet he reduces payouts

I feel bad for his other players who don't know enough math to see how shady it is

It's similar to when I've called up the PPH before placing a bet and the guy tells me "Tie on 2 team teaser is a push for the bet" then of course I tie and it's graded a loss. They change those kinds of menus all the time too and you can't get a straight answer.

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!

This is my general response because we are both honorable and I hit on parlays early to give me big winning weeks, through end of baseball I noticed the parlay thing, +250 and +500 are remarkably lower payouts from the already juiced games (yes these are all -110s), thing is, even when you go 2 EV plays parlayed the number comes up as +250 and NOT +300 as it should be.

I just don't get it, long term I was up but if I stick around, as he knows, odds are I regress ... yet he reduces payouts

I feel bad for his other players who don't know enough math to see how shady it is

It's similar to when I've called up the PPH before placing a bet and the guy tells me "Tie on 2 team teaser is a push for the bet" then of course I tie and it's graded a loss. They change those kinds of menus all the time too and you can't get a straight answer.
    curious what route you took here.....check-in

Book Crook
    Book Crook's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 673

I wouldn't make a big fuss over this. I mean you're still winning pretty big if you win. If you don't like your book, you can always find another....

I use a local and sometimes there are things like this that happen, but overall, he gives me a line of credit, always pays and lets me ride on lower amounts, etc. Overall, he's a really easy person to deal so I hardly ever say anything unless something is graded wrong or something like that. (which is pretty rare)

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

curious what route you took here.....check-in
    Deciding ... got a little balance now, only considering slow pay and shutting it down, that's basically the extent of what I'll do, if that. Suggestions?

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!

Deciding ... got a little balance now, only considering slow pay and shutting it down, that's basically the extent of what I'll do, if that. Suggestions?
    I would just tell him straight up you dont appreciate his shady antics. +260 is universal on -110 2-team parlays, i mean come on man.

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

I would just tell him straight up you dont appreciate his shady antics. +260 is universal on -110 2-team parlays, i mean come on man.
    I usually did 3 teamers, and +500 vs +600 is outright theft. It's a bad bet in the first place then you have to take another 17%? C'mon man is exactly right.

stevek173
    stevek173's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5964

Had one where everything went well, I'm sitting at the steakhouse and order a nice porterhouse. Anxiously waiting for it and I see my bookie walk in, say something to the waitress, and walk out. 20 minutes later I get a penetrating chef salad served to me, ask her what happened and she says your bookie changed your menu. Took my business elsewhere.

StackinGreen
    Can't stop Won't stop

sorta funny but not really

still amusing

sweep
    USA! USA! USA!

ManOfValue
    ManOfValue's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1796

People (normally smaller books and agents) will always adjust things like this if you are beating them consistently. Nothing personal although it sucks. I've had experiences like this and Im a $50 bettor lol.