stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32319

Internet Trollers: Beware

Body found in hotel room thought to be of woman accused of McCann trolling

A body thought to be that of Brenda Leyland was found in a hotel on Saturday afternoon. Photograph: Screengrab

A body, believed to be that of a woman accused of trolling the family of missing schoolgirl Madeleine McCann online, was found in a hotel room in Leicester on Saturday, police have said.

Brenda Leyland, 63, was confronted by a television news reporter over the claim that she used Twitter to post a series of comments attacking the McCanns , whose daughter disappeared in Portugal in 2007.

She was said to have left her home after the exchange last week about the claims. But no direct link can be made between the incident and her death, which officers said was not being treated as suspicious.

On Facebook, her son Ben Leyland wrote: “I love you mum and I will miss you forever.”

In an earlier exchange on the site, Ms Leyland wrote that her son was “the loveliest son and nicest person” she had ever met, asking, “How lucky am I?”

He responded: “I’d say pretty lucky, but then again, who’d have expected anything less of my mother’s son?!”

In a report aired on Sky News last Wednesday, Ms Leyland was accused of being one of dozens of people to have aimed online attacks at Kate and Gerry McCann. She was confronted as she was getting into her car by Sky News’ crime correspondent Martin Brunt, who asked her why she had done so.

Initially reluctant to answer, she eventually responded with “I’m entitled to”. It was claimed she used her Twitter account – using the alias “sweepyface” – to send abuse to the family.

When she was told that a file of evidence had been passed to the police, she said: “That’s fair enough.”

Later, Leyland invited the reporter into her home and, off-camera, explained that she “had questions for the McCanns” but “hoped she hadn’t broken the law” in her online posts.

In the Sky report, she was said not to be the worst of the alleged online abusers.

The next day, neighbours said they believed she had fled the small village in rural Leicestershire, where she has lived for nearly 15 years.

A neighbour, who asked to remain anonymous, told the Leicester Mercury: “Somebody took a photo of [Ms Leyland] on Thursday afternoon and then she was gone. I haven’t seen her since.” Others said they feared for her safety after it became apparent she had fled.

According to Sky News, the Metropolitan police said it was investigating claims of online abuse sent to the McCanns.

The force wrote to those accused of sending the messages: “in consultation with the Crown Prosecution Service and the McCann family, the material will now be assessed and decisions made” as to what further action if any should be undertaken.”
    A Leicestershire police spokeswoman said: “Police were called at 1.42pm on Saturday 4 October to reports of a body of a woman in a hotel room in Smith Way, Grove Park.

“Officers have attended the scene and a file is being prepared for the coroner. Identification of the deceased is a matter for the coroner.

“The death is not being treated as suspicious.”

A Sky News spokesman did not respond to requests for comment.

shooterman
    shooterman's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18498

Justice is sweet no matter the source.