Nicky Santoro
    Nicky Santoro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9461

Why do americans hate hockey???

game 7.. TB vs BOS.. nothing else on tv.. close to 4 million canadians watch that game.. ONLY 2.5 million americans watched it.. and there are a total of 30 million in canada, and over 300 million in U.S. to boot. and i bet 2 million of the 2.5 million were from boston and TB area. that means only 500k people in all of america watched game 7 of the conf final.. and that includes detroit, minnesota, chicago, philly, etc...where hockey is popular..so bottom line, no one in america watched this game 7.

i dont get it. why?? why do americans not like hockey? hockey is an exciting sport.. i know black people hate hockey, but how come no whites are watching either.. it's playoffs.. and hockey has tons of hitting, lots of fighting and fast non stop action.. just what americans love in sports. is it because it's a canadian sport and not an american sport?

my whole life since being a kid, i dreamt of one day hockey would become so big in the states, but i am starting to give up on this. no matter how we improve the game, more goals, more power plays, more fighting, it's just not going to happen. bottom line, americans will never accept hockey.. i just don't know why..

someone pls tell me why hockey cannot make it in the U.S..

BRAVES1985
    BRAVES1985's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1969

i dont get it either they are missing out big time

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Too many non-athletic Canadian ice dancer types. Real pansies. Soft sport.

BRAVES1985

Quote Originally Posted by William Walters View Post
    Too many non-athletic Canadian ice dancer types. Real pansies. Soft sport.
    nba.... a little slap on the wrist a foul give me a fukin break

falconticket
    falconticket's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1762

Haven't watched since the strike

D3 Mighty Ducks
    D3 Mighty Ducks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 782

The main reason why American's hate hockey is because Canada beats them more times than not. They are definitely missing out.

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

the fighting is completely worthless

William Walters
    William Walters's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Quote Originally Posted by BRAVES1985 View Post
    nba.... a little slap on the wrist a foul give me a fukin break
    NBA players would play for free.......for the love of the game. Good upstanding citizens. Hard workers. No off-court issues. NHL players are only there for the paycheck. No passion. Oh, and poor character guys. Very soft as well.

AribaAriba
    AribaAriba's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 97

hockey players got most of my respect as athletes, they're just an ordinary players off the court and not as douches as any other sports. This is a tough league to survive w/o having to break any of your teeth.

I/O

Goal reviews are not just done in another location, not just done in another city, but in a completely different country possibly thousands of miles away

I/O

The shootout is completely lame. One team of weaker talent can bust their ass for 3 plus periods only to lose in a stupid game of horse to a team with better individually talented players.

BRAVES1985

nba is fixed

nba blows

nhl > nba

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

is the Stanley cup over yet?

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Memorial day weekend traveling. I was looking forward to watching but was on the road. We are tuned in now for this game.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

I love hockey.

Hate NBA..

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

If you don't grow up in say Michigan and toward the Northeast...it's not well known I think. Gotta be instilled as a good sport early but baseball/football/basketball programs are more popular in high schools/college so that's where the focus is.

doublej95
    Co Power Poster 2011
    doublej95's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19

Quote Originally Posted by itchypickle View Post
    If you don't grow up in say Michigan and toward the Northeast...it's not well known I think. Gotta be instilled as a good sport early but baseball/football/basketball programs are more popular in high schools/college so that's where the focus is.

Youth hockey is non existent in the South, kids will follow sports that they grew up playing.

Scorpion
    Update your status
    Scorpion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15377

I have not a watched a hockey game in 2 years, I dont even check the fukking NHL scores

maybe because hockey starts in late october when there is football and basketball so people would rather watch those sports than hockey and by the time the playoffs start they just dont care and really who gives a fukk about Vancouver even if they win the whole thing, fikk it, I would rather watch a movie

8ArIvd5
    8ArIvd5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1044

tornado warning in the area expired an hour ago and the local news is still talking about it.

can't even watch the finals.

who gives a **** about a grey cloud

MendozaLine
    MendozaLine's Avatar Become A Pro!

Next season i'm gonna try and ease into hockey. Im pretty much over the NBA, and from January-April i'm gonna need something to occupy me at night. It took me 16 years to get into soccer and now its my second favorite sport behind American football.

JoshB
    JoshB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 64

People just don't play it much here and as a result of that they don't get interested when it comes on T.V.

Everybody throws around the football or shoots hoops in the U.S at some point in their life, but not many people here play Hockey. I respect the sport and the guys who play but i just never got into it.

thejrichshow85
    ban
    thejrichshow85's Avatar Become A Pro!

i don't think ive ever watched an entire hockey game from start to finish ever. been to a couple games other than that it's does not intrest me at all.

Nats' Fan
    Nats' Fan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 301

We don't hate it. It's just not part of our culture, the way football or baseball is.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I did not even watch one minute tonight
    It has no characters
    No names
    No stars

JoshB
    JoshB's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 64

Quote Originally Posted by Nats' Fan View Post
    We don't hate it. It's just not part of our culture, the way football or baseball is.
    Yeah hate is a pretty strong word, It's just not a part of our culture and not many people play it.

The Madcap
    The world meets nobody halfway.
    The Madcap's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 460

Americans don't like hockey because Gary Bettman is an idiot who doesn't have the slightest clue how to market the sport or the star players. If Bettman was half as shrewd as David Stern or the NFL management a lot more Americans would watch hockey.

It didn't help that Tampa is still seen as an expansion team and Boston's play is often boring to watch. If Crosby/the Pens were playing the Caps in the Eastern Finals I bet the ratings would have been much higher. The ratings for the Western Conference Finals in the NBA would have been just as weak as for Boston-Tampa if it had been San Antonio and Memphis instead of Dallas and OKC. The Spurs are plodding and boring (like the Bruins) and Grizzlies have the same lack of respect and recognition as the Lightning, despite Tampa's Stanley Cup win a few years ago.

Scorpion
    Update your status
    Scorpion's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15377

too many turnovers
    puck is too small

MB
    MB's Avatar Become A Pro!

Watched for 10 years but not since the lockout. Bring back the blue puck on TV!

Nicky Santoro
    Nicky Santoro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9461

Quote Originally Posted by The Madcap View Post
    If Crosby/the Pens were playing the Caps in the Eastern Finals I bet the ratings would have been much higher.
    i have news for you, it would not have made a difference. if crosby walked on any busy street in USA, aside from pittsburgh, not one person would recognize him, and this is not just any player, it's the star of the league. it's the lebron james of hockey. no one cares in america about hockey. just over 2 million watched game 7, and this is including both boston and tampa fans.. and this includes every sports gambler in america who watched it cause they had action on it. if you take out boston and tampa fans out and take out every gambler that watched ONLY because he had action on it.. a total of 23 people in all of america watched this game.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I do not even know what Crosby looks like

I went to a Habs game in Nov and stayed for 20 minutes and walked fukkin out with Fighting Illini

We were the only two that left, the place was sold out and crazy

Every guy in the place looked like Nicky

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Personally, I love it. I think it's definitely a sport that has to be appreciated in person, either through participation or attending lots of games.

I was very fortunate to have a team in the Dallas Stars that has been extremely successful, for the most part, over the past 18 years they've been here (including a Stanley Cup in '99). Even more fortunate to have the opportunity to watch them from fantastic seats in a world-class facility. These things combined to give me an appreciation and love for the sport, despite never having played a minute.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

lunchbawks
    NB#
    lunchbawks's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 173

It's baseball season...

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

I wish I knew how to play ice hockey. Americans don't like hockey because there isn't a lot of flashiness in hockey. Personally I don't like it when its not the playoffs. I only like watching flashy players like Ovechkin and Datsuk. The thing is you will only see Datsuk score a sick goal every couple of games so thats why Americans think its not worth it to watch, while basketball, you see wade or kobe or d rose making a flashy play every trip down the court.

face
    face's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 201

hockey rocks. tonight was a bad example. bruins make hockey boring with tons of defense. better series would have been lightning/canucks.

Roadtrip635
    Roadtrip635's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21078

For me, I live in South Central Texas and it's just not part of the culture here. As close as we get to seeing ice down here is in our frozen margaritas. It's hard to get into a sport that you never get exposed to or able to participate in.

I have been to a few minor league hockey games and they were a lot of fun. The second or third game I ever went to, I got tiks from a friend that was a regular season tik holder and the seats were on the glass right behind the net. It was amazing, like a monster big screen TV, guys crashing into the glass at full speed and only a couple mm of plexiglass to separate you from the action. Everybody sitting around us going insane, screaming, pounding the glass it was awesome. I got caught up in it, at one point, one of the opposing players was pinned against the glass and had his face smushed against the plexiglass. We were pounding the glass so hard, his head was bouncing off of it, it was fukkin' great!

1234 Last