Playoff_Beard
    Playoff_Beard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 510

Trap bet question

Hey guys!

I have a question about trap bets.

I'm sure there are multiple ways to classify a trap but in my experience in the gambling world, a "trap game" is a game where 70% or more of the public is on one side of a game, the line looks fantastic at first glance, but the line stays exactly where it started all week and closes at the original line.

Example: Bears v 49ers , 80% of public on the 49ers, line opens and closes at -7 for Chicago, and Chicago rolls them.

Going in to today, the only game this season that the team lost with 25% of the Bets and no line movement was the Rams last week against the Cowboys.

As you all know, the lines move based on bets to try to get it around 50/50 so Vegas wins no matter what. But when the line doesn't move on a game that the public is heavily one sided, that screams "trap" to me. So here is the question...

What does it mean when the line moves 2-4 points on the morning of the game when ALL WEEK the line has not moved?

Example: Vikings v Falcons. 86% on Falcons. Falcons are -2 all week, the game screams trap until Sunday morning, when all of a sudden the line moves to -4 and then -5 before the game starts.

I had Minnesota pegged all week to win because of the 86% on atlanta with zero line movement, but the huge movement this morning made me think otherwise and I didn't bet.

Can someone shed some light on this? Is it not a trap game if the line moves so drastically, so late? Is it still a trap and Vegas is trying to hedge?

I know the "sharp" money comes in late and lines move, but if Vegas had 86% on the Falcons and they have a good idea they are going to win, why move the line?

Thanks in advance guys. Just can not put my finger on this one...

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Trap games are usually very low lined games where as a very good team is favored only by one or two points against a mediocre team

We always tend to take the good team with the low line