Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly
    Dollars2Donuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 589

The problem with sports today.....

Is that nobody plays the game the right way anymore....at least not in MLB.

In tonight's game in Atlanta, in the top of the 11th inning, the Nats get men on first and second with nobody out. The next guy up (Ian Desmond)'s job is to advance those runners or at least the runner from second to third.....whether he sacrifices, hits it to the right side, whatever....his JOB is to get the men over.

He lines out to left field.....

Sorry, but that makes no sense to me. A simple sacrifice bunt and there are two men in scoring position....even if the guy doesn't want to work on bunting skills, then at the very least he needs to mnake sure any ball he hits is going to get that man to third.

It isn't like this is the only instance....I doubt I could go one game without seeing an instance that makes me roll my eyes, and I only played to Senior A and coached to Provincial A in Manitoba.....not like I know everything about the damn game. These guys are supposed to be the best....it stinks.

MLB is not the only sport...the NBA is an even better example. The game was better in the 60's through the 90's, and with the athletes out there it should be the best game in the world to watch....instead it is getting tougher and tougher to stomach each year.

Sorry for the diatribe.....

D2D

STAX
    STAX's Avatar Become A Pro!

Agree with your post till I got to the "NBA was better watch in the 60's through 90's" part... yikes!!!

OptimistPrime
    OptimistPrime's Avatar Become A Pro!

Teams usually don't ask one of their best power hitters to lay a Sac bunt down. All worked out for the best anyways, most players wouldn't even know how to lay a proper sac bunt down because they just don't practice it. Now you are asking him to preform it in the highest of pressure situations.

BatemanPatrickl
    JayVegas420 Contest Winner
    BatemanPatrickl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

It's big entertainment now. The NFL is babying quarterbacks and receivers so more points can be scored. MLB ignored steroids because more homeruns brought more fans. The NBA is a joke; players travel on every drive and star players get phantom calls. Excitement sells.

laclippers504
    laclippers504's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 179

Agree about it being entertainment but the length of mlb games does not go hand in hand with entertainment. The duration is much to long for your average fan or viewer for that matter

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

The duration of the game is destroying majorly baseball as Americans don't have that type of concentration span

It's why soccer so watchable now

labones00
    Bo knows your sister
    labones00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3717

This has been going on for years in the MLB. My old man still yells at the TV when it's a bunting situation and the manager let's the guy swing away only to hit into an inning ending double play. The style of managing has changed, guys don't know how to bunt and run the bases like they used to. Hardly anyone can hit behind the runner anymore and the good ole hit and run has almost become obsolete. I don't know if it's just the evolution of the game or the fact that fans don't want to see "small ball" anymore, they want to see lots of HR's and a high scoring game.

I wouldn't say this is ruining the game, attendance is still really high and it is America's past time. I agree that it's frustrating to watch this style of baseball but it's the norm these days. Yankees/Red Sox games are painful to watch, they average 4 hrs per game! Ain't nobody got time for that

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    The duration of the game is destroying majorly baseball as Americans don't have that type of concentration span

Only gamblers and people with a passion for the game do

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13170

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post

Funny you say that. In todays Boston Herald, John Henry the owner of the Red Sox says quote " The games are just too slow"

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11965

I was hoping you'd say too many blacks.

both in and consuming it.

god bless d2d