Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!
    Jayvegas420's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 14709

Jays bullpen improving?

Marcus Stroman is the youngest member of the Blue Jays' rotation.

Since joining it on May 31, he has been the best.

Stroman carried a no-hitter into the seventh and extended his scoreless innings streak to 14 with a one-hit gem, while Juan Francisco fell a double shy of the cycle in the Blue Jays' 8-0 series-clinching win over the Red Sox in front of a sellout crowd of 46,683 at Rogers Centre on Thursday.

"[Stroman's] pitching like a veteran who has been around a long time," Blue Jays manager John Gibbons said. "He has the great arm, he has the pitches and all that, but the big thing about him is that he is a great competitor."

In 10 starts, Stroman is 6-2 with a 2.21 ERA and he leads Toronto starters in almost every meaningful statistic, including strikeout and walk rate. The rookie has lived up to the massive hype that has surrounded him since the Blue Jays made him a first-round Draft pick in 2012, and he had the best game of his career against the division-rival Red Sox.

Stroman had little trouble navigating through Boston's lineup, and save for a pair of walks, no Boston hitters reached base until Shane Victorino hit a bloop single to center to lead off the seventh inning. Victorino's single was the first ball the Red Sox hit out of the infield, and it spoiled Stroman's chances of joining right-hander Dave Stieb (Sept. 2, 1990) as the only pitchers in franchise history to throw a no-hitter.

Stroman, who said Victorino hit a hanging curveball, kept his composure, and followed it up by getting David Ortiz to fly out before inducing an inning-ending double play.

The New York native walked two, punched out a career-high-tying seven batters and recorded his eighth quality start. Stroman, who entered the start with the top ground ball rate among Toronto starters, recorded nine outs on the ground -- compared to one in the air -- and guided the Blue Jays to their fifth with in six contests.

"It has definitely been a ride so far," Stroman said about the success he has had in the big leagues. "I'm not surprised, it's kind of all the hard work that goes into it and going out and having a game plan."

During warmups, Stroman didn't feel like it was going to be a day on which he would flirt with history. And early in the contest, he had trouble locating his four-seam fastball, which nearly forced him to abandon the pitch and turn to a recently discovered two-seamer.

Stroman messed around during recent bullpen sessions and landed on a two-seam grip he was happy with, and said it was a big reason for the success he had vs. Boston, which lost its third straight game and was shut out for the 10th time this season.

"A couple of different types of breaking balls, with a pretty good power slurve along with a cutter," Red Sox manager John Farrell said, when asked what he saw from Stroman.

It wasn't until Stroman struck out Brock Holt for the third time in the sixth inning -- the 11th consecutive Red Sox hitter he retired -- that the possibility of a no-hitter entered his mind.

"I honestly didn't think about until I sat down after the sixth," Stroman said. "I kind of looked up and saw a zero and was like, 'Wow, that's pretty crazy.' I went back out there and ended up letting up the hit to Victorino, and that's just how it kind of played out. It was definitely a fun game."

Catcher Dioner Navarro showered the young pitcher with praise.

"This guy, he's really special," said Navarro, who went 2-for-3 with two walks and a run scored. "He's young, still in the process of learning, and he works hard every day and wants to get better. That's the beauty of it."

Stroman was handed an early lead to work with and didn't look back, as the Blue Jays plated one run in the first, two in the second and another pair in the third off Red Sox starter Rubby De La Rosa to go ahead, 5-0.

I don't know if we can trust this guy yet but, you're leaving money on the table if you don't pound the early line for this guy's next start

BatemanPatrickl
    JayVegas420 Contest Winner
    BatemanPatrickl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 129

This guy is a STARTING PITCHER. Not a bullpen guy. Don't blame the confusion on being dyslexic Jay; I am now convinced you are borderline retarded as well.

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

Can't help you on this one jay.

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18710

Quote Originally Posted by BatemanPatrickl View Post
    This guy is a STARTING PITCHER. Not a bullpen guy. Don't blame the confusion on being dyslexic Jay; I am now convinced you are borderline retarded as well.
    Lol im not going to lie, I stopped reading after he mentioned Stroman after clearly saying bullpen.

leetreaper
    leetreaper's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2140

Fukking priceless, SBR finest

The Giant
    The Giant's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 233

Jay, Bateman has you pretty cornered on this one.

It's going to take some clever maneuverability to wiggle your way out.

BatemanPatrickl

Learning disability my ass; Jay clearly lacks common knowledge when it comes to professional sports. A real asset for professional gamblers

TonyTall
    sober 8/18
    TonyTall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 769

ive seen jayvegas pop into a few threads and say the funniest sh1t ive ever heard. hes pretty solid in my book

leetreaper

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTall View Post
    ive seen jayvegas pop into a few threads and say the funniest sh1t ive ever heard. hes pretty solid in my book
    Unfortunately, your opinion doesn't count.

TonyTall
    sober 8/18

Quote Originally Posted by leetreaper View Post
    Unfortunately, your opinion doesn't count.

unless it comes to prop winners. when i have 5+ msges a week asking me for help i consider that some form of value

leetreaper

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTall View Post
    unless it comes to prop winners. when i have 5+ msges a week asking me for help i consider that some form of value
    Any props for tonight?

TonyTall
    sober 8/18

lincecum u5.5 strikeouts +110

feast

BatemanPatrickl

Yes. JayVegas Stupid Posts OVER 10.0 -200 UNDER 10.0 + 180

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!

It appears some of you missed the whole point of me using the heading, “Jays Bullpen Improving?”. Of course I knew that Stroman is now a starting pitcher for the Blue Jays and Its in the first sentence. , “Marcus Stroman is the youngest member of the Blue Jays’ rotation.”

I was also aware that Marcus Stroman's 1st victory for the Blue Jays occurred on May 6 when he came in from the Bullpen and relieved Drew Hutchison for 1 1/3 innings to get the win. My point in using the heading “Jays Bullpen Improving?” was in no way reflecting on the day-to-day accomplishments of the present day members of the bullpen, as you seem to think. I was simply asking the rhetorical question as to whether or not the Blue Jays had finally found a great young pitcher from their bullpen. I guess I was just thinking in a more global sense and may have confused some narrow-minded thinkers.

Even if you "get there", just pretend the title didn't have a question mark or pretend bullpen wasn't mentioned. Just comment on the content.
    This is big news!
    The Jays are IMO 1 pitcher & 3 DL recoveries away fr a legitimate pennant run.
    Do you know how hard it has. Even to cheer for these guys for the past 29 years

BatemanPatrickl

Quote Originally Posted by Jayvegas420 View Post
    It appears some of you missed the whole point of me using the heading, “Jays Bullpen Improving?”. Of course I knew that Stroman is now a starting pitcher for the Blue Jays and Its in the first sentence. , “Marcus Stroman is the youngest member of the Blue Jays’ rotation.”

I was also aware that Marcus Stroman's 1st victory for the Blue Jays occurred on May 6 when he came in from the Bullpen and relieved Drew Hutchison for 1 1/3 innings to get the win. My point in using the heading “Jays Bullpen Improving?” was in no way reflecting on the day-to-day accomplishments of the present day members of the bullpen, as you seem to think. I was simply asking the rhetorical question as to whether or not the Blue Jays had finally found a great young pitcher from their bullpen. I guess I was just thinking in a more global sense and may have confused some narrow-minded thinkers.

Even if you "get there", just pretend the title didn't have a question mark or pretend bullpen wasn't mentioned. Just comment on the content.
    This is big news!
    The Jays are IMO 1 pitcher & 3 DL recoveries away fr a legitimate pennant run.
    Do you know how hard it has. Even to cheer for these guys for the past 29 years
    You are so full of shit Jay it isn't even funny. Like I said your best bet is to obtain a real job cooking fries or sweeping floors.

Derka2014
    Derka2014's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 430

whats the jays bullpen?

i know one dude has a massive beard, he did good in the one game i saw him in. otherwise i dont know.

maybe list the bullpen and their ERA.... i dont even know how to look up bull pen stats. im a noob.

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!

Jayvegas420
    Vegas Baby!

My favourite new Blue Jays pitcher & my favourite 2011 prospect.
    I'm going with the Red Sox here.