newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9978

As a % of household income - how big is your bankroll?

I use a local so don't have a post-up or anything like that - but when I think about the most I would really risk losing over a season - its about 2.5% of my annual income. And even that number, I only risk like 10% of that number at most on any given week, so I would have to have 10 losing weeks, losing every wager to bump up against that number.

I hear guys saying they need to save up for football season - doesn't make sense to me - how much are you rolling out there? I know I bet way below my means but that is because I do this for entertainment and some spending money.

But others - how much of your income makes up your bankroll?

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32174

For the whole year? 2%

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I use basically any type of money I have to gamble and leave a little for the rent

It's not the right way to gamble because I'm always broke and struggling and asking friends for money

I owe a Buddy about four grand held a bet on them and lost

mcdonae101
    mcdonae101's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2617

No set % since income isn't a set number

Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

I've only been gambling for about 1yr and in that year I have lost $4,000. My income is steady at around 55,000 and I have no debt other than a mortgage at a low rate. My only goal now is to gradually get back to even. I've learned a great deal about money mgmt thru gambling losses. This next year I'll be better.

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by Plaza23 View Post
    I've only been gambling for about 1yr and in that year I have lost $4,000. My income is steady at around 55,000 and I have no debt other than a mortgage at a low rate. My only goal now is to gradually get back to even. I've learned a great deal about money mgmt thru gambling losses. This next year I'll be better.
    We have all been there man. Glad to hear you have learned some lessons - being debt free helps a ton!!! Best of luck to you!

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Recycling cans/bottles

Average $23.86 a day

DiggityDaggityDo
    DiggityDaggityDo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 32174

Quote Originally Posted by tony_come View Post
    Recycling cans/bottles

Average $23.86 a day
    $8708.90 per year.

tony_come

DDD ez money!

Thanks buddy

Kindred
    Bitcoin=Freedom
    Kindred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 473

100% If I don't win it's mac and cheese for dinner, penetrate bet the rent I bet the whole paycheck

MoneyIsWater
    $$$$$$$$$$$$
    MoneyIsWater's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 190

At this point in my life,

I'd rather bet on a game then go partying, on vacation, etc.

I'm a competitive person and not that gambling controls me, its the competitiveness of being right against odds. Same goes for video games or playing sports.

I live for the rush and the rush lives through me .

I use about 37%.

physed
    physed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 391

When at work I look forward to going home and placing a bet. Gambling is almost as good as a sugar rush.

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by MoneyIsWater View Post
    At this point in my life,

I'd rather bet on a game then go partying, on vacation, etc.

I'm a competitive person and not that gambling controls me, its the competitiveness of being right against odds. Same goes for video games or playing sports.

I live for the rush and the rush lives through me .

I use about 37%.
    How many years do you end up in the positive using that much? I find that when I lose larger amounts I tend to chase which obviously causes me to lose more.

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO

Quote Originally Posted by physed View Post
    When at work I look forward to going home and placing a bet. Gambling is almost as good as a sugar rush.
    How old are you? That is how I was in early 20's

physed
    physed's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 391

Quote Originally Posted by newguy View Post
    How old are you? That is how I was in early 20's
    59 and working at the same place for 35 years. Can you say BURNT OUT.

Albert Pujols
    Albert Pujols's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 80

Good for you. That's responsible wagering. 80% of posters have zero bankroll to their name at the end of every 2 weeks. But hey payday comes right after busting out!

dlunc3
    dlunc3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1076

my income is around 125k and i keep a running bankroll of 5k and cashout everytime it gets to 10k.. only keep a 17 unit bankroll though as my unit size is $300.. would have no problem reloading if needed, but likely havent had to in a while

dlunc3
    dlunc3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1076

luckily not likely** (wont let me edit post)

phillybadboy
    phillybadboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3864

100x

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly
    Dollars2Donuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 589

I have a bankroll of about $10k currently. That equals about 7% of my annual income.

The thing is that bank didn't come from my salary. When I got started about this two years ago I deposited $250 on Bodog. Cashed $8k out of Bodog 90 days later and have been going ever since. Spent about $25k so far, but plan to start to let it accumulate so that I can increase my bet-sizing.

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Pujols View Post
    Good for you. That's responsible wagering. 80% of posters have zero bankroll to their name at the end of every 2 weeks. But hey payday comes right after busting out!

yes..its most of us

some other guys got good %'s ..good for them and good discipline

Plaza23

Quote Originally Posted by newguy View Post
    How many years do you end up in the positive using that much? I find that when I lose larger amounts I tend to chase which obviously causes me to lose more.
    Thats a good point which is for online players, its easier to keep yourself in check. I'm only losing $50 at a time - whenever I crap out and have to fill up my 5dimes account at the bare minimum ($50).

When I first got started, I couldnt accept losses and started chasing/martingaling etc...and got into a big hole. I'd be re-upping for $400 and going all-in to recoup a previous $200 loss. That stopped to where now I only re-up $50. Never more than that.

Also, I agree with the other guy too. I'm a competitive person and this is money that is like vacation money to me. I dont go on vacations. I dont buy cars. I dont drink or smoke. This is purely disposable income. And in all honesty, I havent really noticed the losses that much because they are spread out on my *********** and i have no interest on it. So I lose upfront, but gradually pay it back. If i didnt gamble with it, it would be sitting in a money market account. Whats the difference of having 96,000 in an MMA vs 92,000. I dont even care. Gambling stimulates my mind. It gives me something to think about. Thats why I play.

Once I get bored with it or get tired of losing, I may try online trading.

In my opinion, if you are gambling with money that you wouldnt miss if it was no longer in your bank account, its fine. But if you are gambling with money you actually need, then yeah could be a problem.

If I was still married, there's no way i'd even be gambling. I'd have no problems spending it on things that my ex-wife could enjoy. But since i'm divorced, it doesnt bother me blowing it on my own pursuits. What else should I spend it on? Give it to charity? Sure, and I plan to do that if i start winning again.

Plaza23

Quote Originally Posted by physed View Post
    59 and working at the same place for 35 years. Can you say BURNT OUT.
    Me too. I'm 33 and been working in the same place for 8 years. My job is cake and I cant complain. Sleep till 8:45 am, get into work at 9:15 am, leave at 4:45 pm and home by 5pm. I sit in my own office all day just staring at a computer screen and listening to spotify.

Sports gambling allows me to dream. Its purely recreational.

I read the JayVegas thread and there's no way I could live that life full time. Grinding for a living? No way.

Responsible gambling = sugar rush
    Grinding for a living = heroin addict

Also, I recently started a cycle of for each bet that I lose, that I do 100 push ups. So I figure if I'm going to lose, at least i'm going to be in great shape afterwards. And if I start winning, at least my BR will be up. Gotta position yourself for positives even in losses. Turn the lemons into lemonade as they say.
    Last edited by Plaza23; 07-23-14 at 10:11 PM.

phillybadboy
    phillybadboy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3864

all in

vividjohn45
    vividjohn45's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

5% but i play poker and bkackjack.

BetBase6
    BetBase6's Avatar Become A Pro!

No set or running percentage for me. I just started making random bets a few years ago and once I got into it I set aside about $2,700 and said if it runs out I wasn't as good as I thought I was and would stop there. It's built up since so as of now have not had to take from or add to that original basis.

tony_come

Slow night

Recycle cans/bottles are hard to collect during the summer

jjgold

Let's say you make 50,000 a year you should not be gambling more than $1500 -$2000 total losses for the year

shaunovery
    shaunovery's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 103

Generally keep about 2k in my bet fair account it goes up and down depending on results try withdrawing anything over the balance

THam12
    Money is the motivation!
    THam12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

23 years old.
    Cashed out after ncaa bball season so I had no bankroll to lose on baseball.
    Gonna Load up soon for nfl.
    Probably gonna put on about 1.5% of my annual income and work with that.

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

3-5% is a good number.

boomer62
    boomer62's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 102

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    I use basically any type of money I have to gamble and leave a little for the rent

It's not the right way to gamble because I'm always broke and struggling and asking friends for money

I owe a Buddy about four grand held a bet on them and lost
    And you consider yourself a "SHARP" and that you say you are more advanced then most people on here!! LMFAO FRIENDS. LOL. And you put a gun to your own son's head We should put you on the intervention show!!!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: jjgold

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1902

I always bet less than 5% of my total bankroll at all times.
    It prevents me from going broke.
    This should be encouraged among all sports bettors.

jjgold

Quote Originally Posted by boomer62 View Post
    And you consider yourself a "SHARP" and that you say you are more advanced then most people on here!! LMFAO FRIENDS. LOL. And you put a gun to your own son's head We should put you on the intervention show!!!