daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Astros fail to sign 1st overall pick

LATEST NEWS

RECENT NEWS

MLB.com's Jim Callis reports that the Astros have failed to sign No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken.
    Not only did they fail to sign Aiken, they also didn't sign fifth-rounder Jacob Nix and Mac Marshall. The Astros seem convinced that Aiken is dealing with a real issue with his pitching elbow and wanted him at a discount, while Aiken's camp contended that the hurler was just fine physically. In the end, neither side budged. Aiken is the third No. 1 overall pick ever not to sign and the first since 1983. The Astros will receive the No. 2 overall pick in next year's draft as compensation for not signing Aiken. The lefty is committed to go to UCLA, but he seems likely instead to head to junior college before entering the draft next year. Jul 18 - 5:17 PM
    Source: Jim Callis on Twitter

TheAntFather
    Enlightenment
    TheAntFather's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wow, I knew the Astros should have got Rodon. Fkin high school punk.lol

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

the Astros...

nvrlose37
    nvrlose37's Avatar Become A Pro!

I never understood the MLB draft. It's like gambling on a gamble anyway.

actiondan
    actiondan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16685

Based on this they will come out flat tonight

ParlayininHTown
    Countdown to death: 1 day
    ParlayininHTown's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by kidcudi92 View Post
    the Astros...

They certainly don't make it easier to not hate my life.

kidcudi92
    W and Based Poster
    kidcudi92's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1679

Quote Originally Posted by ParlayininHTown View Post
    They certainly don't make it easier to not hate my life.
    In all honesty I think they could have a solid team by 2017-ish. A lot in that farm system.

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly
    Dollars2Donuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 589

I like this for them. They get the second pick in a better overall draft. I didn't like this kid anyway, and if they had any doubts they were better off passing. Who knows if they ever even really negotiated in good faith.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2368

not signing a first rounder can be strategic

see the Pirates not signing Appell 2 years ago and getting 2 solid first rounders in a deep draft the next year.

The Stros took Appel first overall that next year and he sucks now.

I guess they learned a lesson

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Appel just wanted too much money. This guy there was a concern over his elbow. He better hope it's healthy, if he goes out next year and blows it he's toast

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly
    Dollars2Donuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 589

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    not signing a first rounder can be strategic

see the Pirates not signing Appell 2 years ago and getting 2 solid first rounders in a deep draft the next year.

The Stros took Appel first overall that next year and he sucks now.

I guess they learned a lesson
    ummm....that's what I said! Lol

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports on Twitter, the team could still face a scenario in which they would lose their next two first-round draft picks.

That is, if fifth-round pick Jacob Nix files and wins a grievance that would force the Astros to honor their original $1.5 million agreement, putting them 17 percent over their 2014 draft bonus pool.

It’s unclear whether they’d lose their first round picks in 2015 and 2016, or their 2015 first round pick plus the second overall pick in 2015, which they were given as compensation for failing to sign Brady Aiken before Friday’s 4 p.m. deadline

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Quote Originally Posted by Dollars2Donuts View Post
    I like this for them. They get the second pick in a better overall draft. I didn't like this kid anyway, and if they had any doubts they were better off passing. Who knows if they ever even really negotiated in good faith.
    No way this is strategic.

slambam
    slambam's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 40

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo! Sports on Twitter, the team could still face a scenario in which they would lose their next two first-round draft picks.

That is, if fifth-round pick Jacob Nix files and wins a grievance that would force the Astros to honor their original $1.5 million agreement, putting them 17 percent over their 2014 draft bonus pool.

It’s unclear whether they’d lose their first round picks in 2015 and 2016, or their 2015 first round pick plus the second overall pick in 2015, which they were given as compensation for failing to sign Brady Aiken before Friday’s 4 p.m. deadline
    It sounds like this is very unlikely. Nobody is disputing the fact that Nix' offer was contingent on Aiken signing below slot value. When Aiken didn't sign, that means one of the contingencies to Nix' offer was not met, which means the Astros don't need to sign Nix. I won't wish injury on him, but if Aiken blows his elbow, I'd chuckle a bit. How the fukk does a 17 year old turn down $5 million to play baseball?

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 396

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post

I don't see how he could win if he never signed anything. The question is, if he did win the grievance, would he really want to play in an organization that he cost 2 1st round draft picks? I would be continually watching my back.

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

I've like the stros since I was a kid (always lived in California), but it is hard to follow and support them when they are a combination of the Padres and Pirates.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Even with missing this pick, they are loaded in the minors. They'll be a decent team as soon as next year

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

why the hell would the Astros think he has an elbow issue?