timbaland99
    timbaland99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Wiggins and Anthony Bennett may get traded to Minnesota after all

This article is from today, written by the Morning Journal

By Bob Finnan, The Morning Journal & The News-Herald
    POSTED: 07/17/14, 3:07 PM EDT | UPDATED: 33 SECS AGO 14 COMMENTS

Ever since LeBron James returned to Cleveland, talks have intensified for All-Star power forward Kevin Love.

Rumors have surfaced that the Cavaliers wouldn’t include rookie swingman Andrew Wiggins in any possible deal for the Minnesota Timberwolves’ star.

A league source said on July 17 that the Cavs are now willing to trade the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 draft.

Wiggins, a 6-foot-8, 194-pounder, has played well at the Las Vegas Summer League, where he’s become a crowd favorite. The former Kansas star has averaged 13.7 points and 3.0 rebounds in the Cavs’ first three games. However, he’s shooting just 37.8 percent from the field.

Up until this point, it was assumed the Cavs wanted to hang onto Wiggins, largely because of comments made by Coach David Blatt.

However, a source said James wants the 6-10, 250-pound Love on the roster.

And, what James wants, he normally gets.

The thinking is that Wiggins is going to be a very good player, a possible All-Star player, in time.

But he’s raw. He’s a long way away from reaching that potential.

Love is an All-Star caliber player now. The union of James, Kyrie Irving and Love could be a championship in the making.

The Cavs are under the gun to win now. James is playing on a two-year contract that includes an out clause after the 2014-15 season if he decides to use it.

The addition of Love could push the Cavs to the top of the Eastern Conference. Without Love, they are still a playoff team, but might fall behind Chicago and Indiana in the East.

The latest offer could include Wiggins, power forward Anthony Bennett and a first-round pick. Center Brendan Haywood might be included in the deal to make it work contractually.

That would be a lot of potential talent heading Minnesota’s way. Bennett was the top overall pick in the 2013 draft and appears to be poised to take a major step in his career. He’s now in top shape and the “stretch 4” appears to have high scoring ability.

The Cavs also would be able to hang onto starting shooting guard Dion Waiters in the latest proposal.

The Golden State Warriors are also attempting to trade for Love, who averaged 26 points and 12 rebounds last year. Up until this point, they wouldn’t include shooting guard Klay Thompson in any possible deal.

Love will make $15.7 million this season. He can become an unrestricted free agent after the 2014-15 season. A deal might be contingent on him agreeing to sign an extension with the Cavs.

End of article.

Bennett is really turning his game around and Wiggins is looking good in Las Vegas. I think these two players would be better long term than Kevin Love. Love is better right now, but, I think that wiggins and Bennett have more potential. I hope the Cav's at least try to keep Wiggins.

marcoloco
    marcoloco's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9120

Quote Originally Posted by timbaland99 View Post

Bennett is really turning his game around and Wiggins is looking good in Las Vegas. I think these two players would be better long term than Kevin Love. Love is better right now, but, I think that wiggins and Bennett have more potential. I hope the Cav's at least try to keep Wiggins.
    agreed

GUMMO77
    Many bags of soup. Many.
    GUMMO77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1726

Bennett looks at bit beefy.

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24921

Not saying the Cavs should follow through on a trade with Minny necessarily, but if they did land Love, the Cleveland Big Three would trump the old Miami Big Three.

easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

no brainer Love automatically makes them a contender. With the current squad they still win the East regardless but get thumped by the West team the first couple of years. With Love they can matchup with anyone in the west

Eddy Munny
    Eddy Munny's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24921

The reason I hesitate to say Cleveland should pull the trigger on that type of trade is because I think it's too knee jerk of a decision. Love is an all-star to be sure, but why acquire him at the expense of two players with a lot of upside? Wiggins has a ton of athleticism and Bennett hasn't even scratched the surface. What you don't want to do in Cleveland is what kinda happened in Miami, where you sacrifice depth in favor of a top heavy lineup. Let the young cats develop a bit. By the time the playoffs role around, you may really have something.

It's like Calipari's diaper dandy Kentucky team... Most people had forgotten about them by March because of the lumps they had taken during the regular season. But they started to gel at the right time, and low and behold, they find themselves in the championship game. I see the Cavs' current roster with a similar learning curve. I imagine Wiggins would become a very dangerous sixth man once he gets some seasoning that an 82 game schedule would provide.

Zeller, Deng, and Jack are already gone... I would hate to see the Cavs spread themselves too thin just to reach for another "super-team" a la the Heat.

jbart28
    MAGA KAG
    jbart28's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16

Dion Waiters is special. The team with Love, Irving, James, Waiters, Thompson, et al would win it all next year.

LeBron has told many sources close to the front office that Waiters cannot be included in any deal to get Love.

timbaland99

Lebron Has said that he knows it will be tough to win next year with current line up and he said that he was looking forward to being the veteran and helping these guys grow.

most of the crap lebron gets on sbr is due to the fact that he basically left the Cav's to manufacture a championship. Why not just work with that you have? It would be awesome to watch and I think it would create even more respect from all of his critics

timbaland99

I honestly hope Love is traded to Golden State. Too much talent heading to the timberwolves if this trade goes through as is.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I would not trade for Love plus he is white..no thanks

Wiggins does show promise in summer leagues, he will have it easy with James on court too

jsmithj88
    jsmithj88's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    no brainer Love automatically makes them a contender. With the current squad they still win the East regardless but get thumped by the West team the first couple of years. With Love they can matchup with anyone in the west
    not really ...........

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Wiggins is overrated

jsmithj88

i cant believe what im seeing here, this is a no brainer
    ur going to get a guy that averages 25pts and >10rebs who can hit 3, FT's, and pass
    how many dudes can do that?????
    ur gonna get a dude thats one of the best in the league for some kids with potential ?????
    what are we talking about here ???????

put love on the cavs and they are a serious contender the next 5 years
    lebron, love and irving can win it now
    u have NO IDEA what the rest of the cavs will do

timbaland99

Yes, Kevin Love is awesome, but, I think it would be more exciting to watch games involving the Cav's and being able to see lebron help mould wiggins and Bennett along with Irving and waiters. To me, winning a championship with the current team would be something earned over something purchased

jsmithj88

Quote Originally Posted by timbaland99 View Post
    Yes, Kevin Love is awesome, but, I think it would be more exciting to watch games involving the Cav's and being able to see lebron help mould wiggins and Bennett along with Irving and waiters. To me, winning a championship with the current team would be something earned over something purchased
    lebron + love + irving isnt exciting??????????
    how are they "purchasing" a title?
    by improving ur team as best as possible, ur "purchasing" a title?
    what kind of nonsense is that?

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

In a way Love has been lucky to be hidden away in Minnesota. All we see are his highlights on SC and he's the great white hope now.

He can rebound and hit some threes but he can't defend, protect the rim or create his own shot.

I think rebounding is one of the more overrated things in the NBA nowadays because teams don't crash the offensive boards that much and unless it bounces to them it's not much of a competition. It's usually one shot and get back on D to prevent transition opportunities and with the 24 second clock. Half the time it ends up being talk among teammates for who gets the rebound.

He was 3rd in the league in rebounds but 12th in offensive boards a game while number one in defensive rebounds. Rebounding just isn't a war like it once was. You snag a few on FT's a game along with a few more uncontested and pad your stats.

Ranked 101 in blocks a game last year, and barely half a block a game for his career. 119th in steals and 61st in 3P% at only 36%, 62nd in FG%, so why he is considered elite is beyond me. All this with him playing the 11th most MPG in the league. Someone said he can pass, which is true but 2.5 assists a game is just decent for a big. Numbers aren't everything and you can bend them around your argument but he's never made the playoffs and doesn't do well in the clutch nor create his own shot ever.

Throw in Irving who doesn't play D either and the Cavs aren't as good as everyone thinks they will be. LeBron voids most of that by himself though but he still can't do it all. Just don't see the love for Kevin, good player but his stats don't say superstar.

jsmithj88

it is true, kevin love is an unathletic white dude that cant jump
    but he can hit jumpers and collect all the rebounds
    he was more or less double and triple teamed on a daily bases because the twovles suck ass
    lebron will be feeding love open jumpers and layupsto kevin love and irving
    they will become way more efficient just like wade and bosh
    lebron and irving will have an easier time getting to the hoop cuz love will be spreading the floor for them

rebounding and defense go hand and hand
    it CANNOT be underrated, i dont know how u can even say its overrated
    look at the bulls and pacers, their likely top rivals
    they play defense and rebound
    love+varajao+lebron is a lot better than lebron+varajao+thompson

Cuse0323

I'm saying that rebounding numbers are overrated. When you watch games, just take note of how many uncontested rebounds pad the stats.

Just heard a good one, Love has lost 170 more games than he has won in his career. It's just funny to me how some players get the label as losers and some get bailed out by saying their teams suck. TMac was an amazing player but his teams couldn't win in the playoffs so he got the brunt of it. Love hasn't even made the playoffs and he's loved by most.

Love will do well with LeBron but that's because he's a complementary player and not a superstar to lead a team.

jsmithj88

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    I'm saying that rebounding numbers are overrated. When you watch games, just take note of how many uncontested rebounds pad the stats.

Just heard a good one, Love has lost 170 more games than he has won in his career. It's just funny to me how some players get the label as losers and some get bailed out by saying their teams suck. TMac was an amazing player but his teams couldn't win in the playoffs so he got the brunt of it. Love hasn't even made the playoffs and he's loved by most.
    look at his roster and where he is playing
    if the twolves were in the east, they would have made the playoff years ago
    this is what i always harp about when people look down on lebrons decision
    as an nba player, why should u hold urself hostage to managements incompetence?
    look how long it took the clippers to get their shit together
    look at the raptors, cavs, 76ers, magic, kings, etc etc
    half the league sucks and will continue to suck

if the cavs want to wait and see then, thats makes some sense
    but if the trade is available im doing it now, so they have time to gel
    love+lebron+irving is just to much talent to pass up

Cuse0323

His teams weren't that bad and Melo took a team full of similar players to the playoffs in Denver every year he was there. This was the first year he missed the playoffs. LeBron did it in Cleveland as well with a team full of bench players. Just saying Love isn't all he's made out to be as he couldn't carry the team once in six years with some decent rosters at times. I'm taking my chances on Wiggins and Bennett, the past two number one picks and keeping the draft picks over Love...no question in my mind.

timbaland99

Quote Originally Posted by jsmithj88 View Post
    lebron + love + irving isnt exciting??????????
    how are they "purchasing" a title?
    by improving ur team as best as possible, ur "purchasing" a title?
    what kind of nonsense is that?
    of course james, love and Irving will be exciting, but I would rather watch the Cav's with wiggins and Bennett instead of Love. I would rather see these two young players grind, gain experience, be mentored by James, and go through some adversity as well as, seeing how high talent wise they can go before winning a championship. Bringing in Love is like bringing in another superstar and I am not a big fan of the big 3 model (what I meant when I said purchased) It would be more exciting to watch the current Cav's win it all in a couple years after watching wiggins and Bennett go through the transition of rookies to superstar rather than bringing in a player who is already a superstar.

What happens of Love get injured? Or if James gets injured? The Cav's season would be down the tubes. At least in my scenario, you still have Bennett and wiggins, Irving, waiters to fall back on.I see a lot more long term upside with wiggins and Bennett than I do with Love. What happens if wiggins and Bennett turn out to be top 10 players and they got traded before even seeing what their abilities were? Plus, I thnk it would be a lot faster and more free flowing game if they don't trade for Love. The Cav's have a ridiculous number of good picks for the next year or two (not sure if it's one good year or two) so, if things don't work out with wiggins or Bennett and they end up being draft busts then, the Cav's can always make a move next year. At least this way they know a bit more about what they have.

BigDeem5
    2013-2016 NBA: 461-378-24 +52.65u
    BigDeem5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2158

This trade will go through by end of weekend
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: edawg

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 384

In hindsight, going to Miami was the best thing for the city of Cleveland. Nobody was coming to Cleveland, even though LeBron, almost single handedly,led them to the Finals. Now he has a championship pedigree. Now, some veterans want to go out of their way to play with him. That being said, you have LeBron in his prime. You already have Kyrie locked down for 5 years. Don't waste a year, or two, waiting on the young guys to develop. Love helps you win now. The Eastern Conference will not be weak forever. Take advantage of it while the window of opportunity is still open.

upscope
    upscope's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6685

Having the potential of Wiggins & Bennett is nice but the problem is we're not certain that they pan out. There's a chance that they do making the Cavs a sikk, tough to beat team. If they miss though the Cavs prolly win nothing over the the next 5yrs. Before Wiggins & Bennett are true difference makers in this league LeBron will be winding down. Love on the other hand is a guarantee.

If LeBron was 24-25 i would say stick with Wiggins/Bennett & go for the jugular. LeBrons window is 5-6 yrs because of this the smart move is to take the guarantee that Love gives you.

Menses
    Menses's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5815

Regardless of Wiggins upside..he is NOT NBA ready....his basketball acumen does not match his athleticism...Cavs have all but admitted, they drafted him because he could be traded...Jabari Parker would never have been traded...as his basketball IQ matches his physical ability. He could start on most NBA teams right now and blend in seamlessly...If Lebron were 26, he could wait for Wiggins to be playoff ready...he cannot do so at 30....he has in Love at 25 what Wiggins is not at 19...Cavs are a threat to win the finals this year if Love is on the team...especially if the Spurs do not make it back to the dance which in all likely hood they don't...I will say this though..Kyrie with bron and Andrew on the wing...would be unfair to the rest of the league....would love to see them even if its for a short time...I hope they don't trade Bennett....he is clearly a different player this year...

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1824

Waiters special....lol

jsmithj88

did we forget this squad was 16 games under .500 ????
    and that was their best season post lebron
    anybody on this roster is expendible

they have a window to win NOW
    waiting makes no sense when u have lebron

Darkside Magick
    Black Box Algorithm
    Darkside Magick's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1258

Making this trade is dumb...wait a year and you get Love for free

Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

If I was Minny, I'd rather have the Warriors pieces.

timbaland99

I agree with the fact that wiggins need to grow mentally to catch up with his body. It seems so exciting having all these players in the lineup at the same time though minus love. I get that lebron is not getting any younger, but, what about all the potential the Cav's have With the future 1st round draft picks? One year to see how it goes isn't gonna kill lebron. They can always trade their draft picks if things don't work out if they need a quick fix.

jsmithj88

This is beyond a no brainer. Any1 against this trade is over thinking.
    Lebron+love+Irving = championship contenders for the next 5 years.
    Lebron+Irving+cavs kids = ?????
    You have Lebron in his prime. U need to win now. Waiting is plain stupid. Cash out those chips and get a premier player to play with Lebron.

freeVICK
    freeVICK's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6495

Love would probably extent with the cavs but it's not a sure thing

freeVICK

Why not go after Ryan Anderson or spencer hawes instead of love? Half the price, same production

Heck borris diaw > love

Cuse0323

If they do the trade then they're sacrificing depth for a big 3, just like in Miami. We all saw what the Spurs did and the second unit was key in their excellence. Miami had no bench whatsoever and right now the Cavs have some solid depth with the ability to add more in the next years draft. Trade for Love and you lose potentially 4 good assets for one player along with three max contracts eating up your cap for years to come. It's just not worth it to me, especially when it's an overrated Love they're getting back.

freeVICK

^exactly. Can't go all in on 3 guys. Especially when 2/3 are injury prone. Love breaks his hand doing pushups, Kyrie dies from brushing his teeth

123 Last