Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

how Vital is Timing when Placing a Futures Bet on NFL / College Football

i think my new strategy will be to do more Futures bets and less day to day grind.... this way i have a reason to be interested in sports but i won't study it 24/7

so my question is how important to do you think it is to get the Futures bet in before Football season starts vs waiting a month into the season....?

Will the odds really change that much for the " serious contenders" ?

i mean remember going into last year people had high expectations for the Atlanta Falcons but a month into the season their playoff hopes were pretty much squashed.

Basically i need to know...do i need to get to Vegas right away to get the best odds on a Futures bet or can i wait til like late September and get about the same type odds?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Its all random actually when you make the bet

Sometimes betting early lines moves with you and sometimes against you

Betting late same thing

It all evens out unless your a rare guy that knows which way a line will move more than less

Good Luck Bear

Hot Jerry
    Hot Jerry's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4638

Is ok to bet futures , I do it every year in NFL with 3, 4 or 5 teams . tomorrow or Friday I will take few . I like in NFL ads on NFL playoffs , Carolina - Yes [+220 ] , Baltimore - Yes [ +155 ] , Indy -Yes [ -180 ] and Cincinnati - Yes [ -105 ] I think all 4 teams will make playoffs this year and I will bet them !!

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24866

Doesn't matter much. Numbers may tend to get a little better/less juice as season comes closer though..

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

You will have a much more difficult time finding futures wagers after the season starts, and no matter which way you go, you are going to get worse odds. No pro plays his/her futures after the season starts. He is an example using one of the teams I played. I played Ole Miss Over 8.5 wins +145. If they defeat Boise State in their opener, those odds probably go down to +100 or worse.

For a person who plays the amount that you do, you are better off skipping the Vegas trip and just booking your futures now, with whatever offshore book you use. Unless you feast at McD's or some cheap Buffet, a Vegas trip will run you a couple of hundred plus airfare, and I do not think you wager enough to make it pay for you to fly out there.

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6422

One injury away from flushing your money down the toilet. Imo.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by swordsandtequila View Post
    One injury away from flushing your money down the toilet. Imo.
    It works both ways. One injury to an opponent can guarantee you a win. You cannot wager with the thought that you may lose because of an injury. You will never win a penny doing that. An injury can occur anytime, including in the first minute of the game.

Hot Jerry
    Hot Jerry's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4638

Quote Originally Posted by bigdaddyqh View Post
    it works both ways. One injury to an opponent can guarantee you a win. You cannot wager with the thought that you may lose because of an injury. You will never win a penny doing that. An injury can occur anytime, including in the first minute of the game.
    - agree !!

TonyTall
    sober 8/18
    TonyTall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 769

almost more important is to have 5-6 books to get the best odds at. especially when dealing with lines 20-1 and greater. one book might have 25-1 and the next 45-1.........imagine if that future hits, what a difference in winnings

swordsandtequila
    Soul Eating Machine
    swordsandtequila's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 6422

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    It works both ways. One injury to an opponent can guarantee you a win. You cannot wager with the thought that you may lose because of an injury. You will never win a penny doing that. An injury can occur anytime, including in the first minute of the game.
    Sure, I'm just not doing it 6 months ahead of time. Long time to tie up money on essentially a crapshhoot (NFL specifically). To each his own.

rm18
    Update your status
    rm18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 207814

Got the bengals at +5000 knew I had to pounce because a good number and also browns +20000 but probably screwes. Because of gordon situation I bet that in january

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    i think my new strategy will be to do more Futures bets and less day to day grind.... this way i have a reason to be interested in sports but i won't study it 24/7

so my question is how important to do you think it is to get the Futures bet in before Football season starts vs waiting a month into the season....?

Will the odds really change that much for the " serious contenders" ?

i mean remember going into last year people had high expectations for the Atlanta Falcons but a month into the season their playoff hopes were pretty much squashed.

Basically i need to know...do i need to get to Vegas right away to get the best odds on a Futures bet or can i wait til like late September and get about the same type odds?
    Bear beating JJGhost to the punch again. An actual sports thread when there is limited gambling.

Keep'm coming Bear

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by rm18 View Post
    Got the bengals at +5000 knew I had to pounce because a good number and also browns +20000 but probably screwes. Because of gordon situation I bet that in january
    The number is down to 3500 on Cincy, but it really does not matter does it? You are wagering on two Ohhio teams. One has questionable talent, a very questionable Head Coach, and has not won a playoff game in well over 10 years. The other team is just throwing money away. Another wager that guarantees that Vegas still has those bright neon lights glowing.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

The number is down to 3500 on Cincy, but it really does not matter does it? You are wagering on two Ohhio teams. One has questionable talent, a very questionable Head Coach, and has not won a playoff game in well over 10 years. The other team is just throwing money away. Another wager that guarantees that Vegas still has those bright neon lights glowing.
    that sounds harsh but it is hard to invision either team making it to the super bowl..

Dalton just has too much Romo in him.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    that sounds harsh but it is hard to invision either team making it to the super bowl..

Dalton just has too much Romo in him.
    It is a harsh business. I'm in this to make money, not friends. I do not gamble. I invest. Like any other investment I make, I am in it for the long run. Sometimes I invest by fading a team. I would certainly fade both Ohio Pro teams when wagering Superbowl Futures.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor

It is a harsh business. I'm in this to make money, not friends. I do not gamble. I invest. Like any other investment I make, I am in it for the long run. Sometimes I invest by fading a team. I would certainly fade both Ohio Pro teams when wagering Superbowl Futures.
    so who do u like besides the packers at 14 to 1?

i was thinking about that one too.

strictlypaypal
    strictlypaypal's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4351

49ers (+850) is one im pulling the trigger on. Been studying them all off season and I think they're winning it

Placing $300 to win $2550

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

If you place the winning bet time doesn't matter.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    If you place the winning bet time doesn't matter.
    If you pick the winner, the only thing that time could do is increase or decrease your profits depending on when you wager.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

Well if you like getting giants 100-1 and winning then timing does matter.....

As long as the bet is hedgeable then it ain't so bad.

Ballerholic
    Ballerholic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1806

not at all

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1884

You get maximum value when you bet the earliest on futures.

TheMoneyShot
    TheMoneyShot's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 23701

It's all luck. The last time Green Bay won the Super Bowl... I believe they had to win their final game just to be a wild card. I got them +1200 to win the Super Bowl. I risked 1k to win 12k. I just had a feeling it was Rodgers time.

It's all a crap shoot.

slacker00
    slacker00's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15653

Quote Originally Posted by GunShard View Post
    This. The numbers get bet down when free agency starts and keep going down.

In general, future bets are so heavily juiced and such high variance it's not worth it except the rare gem.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Here is an example of just how cirtical it can be. LSU openes up at -7 against Wisconsin for their week 1 game in Houston. That line is now down to 5 1/2. That is a critical change. If you are a big LSU fan, now would be the time to wager on the game. If you are a Wisky fan, now would be the time to pass.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Here is an example of just how cirtical it can be. LSU openes up at -7 against Wisconsin for their week 1 game in Houston. That line is now down to 5 1/2. That is a critical change. If you are a big LSU fan, now would be the time to wager on the game. If you are a Wisky fan, now would be the time to pass.
    I wish more online books had GOTY lines.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1782

Quote Originally Posted by GunShard View Post
    Nah, not very often.

Wait till teams start losing and get them at 50-1 or higher odds.
    Just pick a team with talent that's on a slide.

Like when eagles lost all those early games then the bandwagon got full and people talking futures when they were like 200-1 at one point. I forget. It was big.

wolvesguy89
    wolvesguy89's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 810

I love NFL futures bets. Yeah it sucks having money tied up for a few months, but look at it as an investment.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2344

Winning is most vital

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    I wish more online books had GOTY lines.
    The problem with online books is that you rarely get the best line. You hve to wait until the High Rollers in Vegas and some online books have made their picks, and then you get the corrected line. Many mean nothing. Some mean a lot.

dlunc3
    dlunc3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1076

Broncos 9-1 after the season down to 4-1 within a few weeks. Was easy to see that coming. Question is whether Peyton can hold up or not

Go Beavers
    Go Beavers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

I would personally wait til week 4 of preseason. Odds will prob be at thier worst but then u know what your up against for training camp or preseason injuries. Worse lines but better information imho