TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Why do people have a problem with the last minute Greece penalty to send them thru?

I've heard several people on here think it was bs

I thought it was an obvious penalty. The guy was about to shoot and the defender clipped his shooting leg. Seemed like one of the most obvious penalties I've ever seen. Am I missing something?

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

You're biased because you hate the Ivory Coast players.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 284

Look at the left knee of African player.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post

Look at the left knee of African player.
    Right

Obvious penalty

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    I've heard several people on here think it was bs

I thought it was an obvious penalty. The guy was about to shoot and the defender clipped his shooting leg. Seemed like one of the most obvious penalties I've ever seen. Am I missing something?
    if u watch the replay he barely even touched him he def did not make the player hit the ground. The Greece player did not even attempt to take the shot as soon as he sensed the contact he hit the ground like he had been shot by an AK47!

If ref hadnt called that penalty he would have felt like a dumbass b/c he did not even attempt to stay on his feet and play thru the contact.

The other reason is just you hate to see a game of such magnitude decided by the refs instead of the players on the pitch.

Greece will be 1 and done in the elimination round and i doubt ivory coast was going to go very far anyway so i guess it doesnt really matter except for the people who had the under in that particular game.

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly
    Dollars2Donuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 589

The player that was fouled hammed it up HUGE. Admittedly, the knee did make contact with the striking foot, but the guy drives his leg into the ground on purpose, and throws himself to the ground.

This was a marginal penalty and given the scenario I would not have awarded the kick myself.

Now, you will say the scenario should not matter....and I agree, BUT in sports around the globe for the last century the scenario HAS mattered. Whether it is the dying seconds of an NBA game, the last half of the third in hockey these ticky-tack fouls just are not called.

I didnt have have a huge issue with the call, it is the referees call, but I would have waved them to play on.

TheCentaur

As I was watching the game live, and as that play built to that shot attempt in the box I felt the Greek player was going to shoot and score to win the game. He could not shoot after contact was made from behind which is a foul.

The Coast player deliberately stepped in to the path of his shooting leg, fouling and ruining a great shot attempt. Maybe he did ham it up AFTER contact, but the shot attempt was ruined. If this doesn't get a penalty kick I don't know what does

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 284

People who never played do soccer do not understand what happened. The guy was lining up to shoot the ball and score and the African player bumped his shooting leg with the knee to mess up the timing.

It's the same call they make in the NBA on a three point shot when the defender hits the elbow of the shooting player to mess with the timing of the shot.

It's not how hard you foul the player that makes it a penalty. It's the denial of a scoring opportunity.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: ParlayininHTown

smoke a bowl
    smoke a bowl's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14472

Terrible call. So it goes that's soccer.

smoke a bowl

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    People who never played do soccer do not understand what happened. The guy was lining up to shoot the ball and score and the African player bumped his shooting leg with the knee to mess up the timing.

It's the same call they make in the NBA on a three point shot when the defender hits the elbow of the shooting player to mess with the timing of the shot.

It's not how hard you foul the player that makes it a penalty. It's the denial of a scoring opportunity.
    That gets called a penalty less than 20% of the time. Bad call so it goes.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3244

Actually Bosnia were the ones that got screwed with the bullshit offside call against Nigeria.That cost them a chance at the lead and very well could have cost them a opportunity at making the knockouts.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by smoke a bowl View Post
    That gets called a penalty less than 20% of the time. Bad call so it goes.
    What's that ur smoking?

smoke a bowl

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    What's that ur smoking?
    Really good shit but that rarely gets called a penalty period.

smoke a bowl

Greece will be out after next round anyway so no biggie.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Stubbed toe, fall to your knees like you were hit in the head with a crow bar. Seems legit.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Stubbed toe, fall to your knees like you were hit in the head with a crow bar. Seems legit.
    lol exactly

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    Watch the video in post #3

Then edit post #15

Dollars2Donuts
    Deadly
    Dollars2Donuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 589

I agree though, if this is Italy, Spain, England or Brazil instead of Ivory Coast, this is a NO CALL 100% of the time in this scenario.

If you don't see that, you are blind.