BennyBigNuts
    BennyBigNuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1078

Scott Kazmir is probably the Comeback player of the CENTURY so far

This is just a great story, not only for baseball, but for life in general.
    Think back with this guy.
    Plenty of good story comebacks, but the magnitude of this one is pretty awesome.

As a rookie, pitches for the Rays after the Mets trade him as a top 5 prospect in all of MLB at the time, and becomes a borderline ace/ solid #2 guy for them for 4 or 5 years.

Arm problems, gets dumped to the Angels, struggles there, dumped again, and is OUT of baseball after his release.
    Couldn't even get a minor league deal.

Here's the story from last year that was written for more accurate details:

Scott Kazmir shouldn't be here, pitching in the major leagues for the Cleveland Indians, throwing 94 mph fastballs and changeups that dance like Ginger Rogers. He should be just another casualty of the rigors of a job that shreds elbows and shoulders and leaves young men looking backwards at their life, questioning the disappearance of their gift.

Kazmir pitched poorly in 2009, spending time on the disabled list with elbow problems and getting traded from the Tampa Bay Rays to the Los Angeles Angels. He was worse in 2010 and battled shoulder issues. He made one start with the Angels in 2011, had neither velocity nor command, made a few starts in Triple-A, allowed 30 runs in 15 innings and got released, still owed $14.5 million. He was just 27, and his future was behind him.

He had made a lot of money in the game and could have walked away, but what's a 28-year-old man who has spent life throwing a baseball supposed to do? He pitched last season for a team called the Sugar Land Skeeters of the independent Atlantic League. He wasn't alone in refusing to give up major league dreams. Ten other former major leaguers pitched for the Skeeters, including former Houston Astros outfielder Jason Lane, who was trying to make it as a pitcher. Roger Clemens started two games late in the season. He was 49 and didn't allow a run in eight innings. Kazmir made 14 starts and finished with a 5.34 ERA.

He pitched in the Puerto Rican winter league, and the Indians saw a guy throwing 94 instead of 84. Injuries had once fouled up his mechanics but he was smoothing them out again. The Indians signed him to a minor league contract. What did they have to lose? Their starters had a 5.25 ERA in 2012. Still, it seemed Clemens would have been a better bet to succeed than Kazmir.

The most amazing thing about the story is it's not like he went to the Skeeters and was good lol.
    He pitched there and had an ERA OVER 5!!!!!!!!

The guy goes hard for Cleveland last year, has a solid year, and not only gets another deal this year, but gets 10 million a year with OAK and there was a bidding war for him.
    Unbelievable story of how to never give up and also seeing a guy play for the love of the game.

I can't think of any stories like this that can compare.
    He is straight dealing right now for OAK and has been unhittable.

Wonder if Kazmir gave that Cleveland scout a little xmas bonus after taking a chance on him when no one else would.

Can anyone come up with a better comeback in the last 20 years or so of a guy who was a star, then gone, then back as a Star again?

BennyBigNuts

Sorry about the fukkin fonts.
    Fukkin SBR software is God awful.

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

A positive story??

Where is Benny and what have you done with him?!

amolg24
    amolg24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3317

Quote Originally Posted by I/O View Post
    A positive story??

BennyBigNuts

Quote Originally Posted by I/O View Post
    A positive story??

Lol wtf
    Am I that bad?

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Kazmir is this years Bartolo Colon.

BennyBigNuts

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post
    Kazmir is this years Bartolo Colon.
    Colon was a great comeback story also. But getting caught doing roids 10 times kind of tainted that for him.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

He's always had the skills, just hasn't been able to stay healthy

farmhouse1
    farmhouse1's Avatar Become A Pro!

Love this guy. Every time he's pitching for Oakland I back them with the utmost confidence because of him.

ParlayininHTown
    Countdown to death: 1 day
    ParlayininHTown's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by BennyBigNuts View Post
    Lol wtf
    Am I that bad?
    Well, you're not nearly as negative as me.

Of course, that's not saying much.

SEAHAWKHARRY
    Northern Lights
    SEAHAWKHARRY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2385

Oj Simpson story of getting away with murder then getting popped for robbery..greater accomplishment story by far!!!!

Baath887
    Baath887's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 961

Bobby Abreu this year with the Mets? ... just joking, but he's actually one of their best hitters there lol