LordVodka
    LordVodka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

Soccer needs to be refined big time if US is ever gonna accept it. To me it's a joke to have a 90 minute match that can end in a tie. The sole purpose of a competition is to determine a winner. Any sport where the game ends in a tie so often needs to be tweaked. How many shot on goals are there per match? Maybe 10 in a 90 minute game?

Make the field smaller. Something needs to change. You can't have a 90 minute game where most of the time is spent playing keep-away.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Because we're not any good at it.

RubberKettle
    RubberKettle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 791

Thread sucks so far

RubberKettle

JoeVig
    JoeVig's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Well. for one thing, when u think its over, its not really. The officials get together and then add some more time? How can that be a sport?

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

You don't have to be smart or have money to play or understand soccer...

...and since most of the world is broke and dumb....
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: akphidelt

RubberKettle

Points Awarded:

Bill Dozer gave RubberKettle 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

akphidelt
    akphidelt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 640

LordVodka
    LordVodka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 156

Quote Originally Posted by JoeVig View Post
    Well. for one thing, when u think its over, its not really. The officials get together and then add some more time? How can that be a sport?
    Can you imagine if they did that in a legitimate sport? Let's the refs in NBA just add whatever time they feel like. Everyone would be upset but since soccer isn't a true competition, it doesn't matter.

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

I think it's just because we are relatively shitty at it and what is in front of us is kinda shitty. Even in recent examples, a sport wasn't where it was until we had a story or a record to put it in context. Where was the NBA before Magic and Bird and then again before Jordan? Golf before Tiger? How many more kids are playing golf now? Tiger is directly responsible for the young guys coming up and beating him. MJ created Kobe.

Now imagine the only basketball Americans saw was Croatian league because the NBA wasn't on tv and when it is, it's at 3am. So IMO it's a chicken and the egg thing. Jurgen Klinsmann is shitting on our best US players saying if you are in the MLS you aren't playing the best competition. It seems kinda short sighted because sending the best role models to a different time zone isnt the way to build the best USA product and inspire the next generations. You have to wonder if he had a 20 year contract instead of one that ends at the 2018 World Cup if he'd be down on guys who kept their talents at home in the USA.

I posted a rant in the Donovan thread about why this is all going to change and what's going on at the youth level. Soccer in the US is about to break through. For the first time training is mirroring other countries. Scholarships are increasing. The internet is letting us see the Magic and Bird of our soccer time.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: zizoudane10

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Soccer actually is growing in the usa
    its on tv all the time
    books offer it more and more
    vegas offers it
    mls pretty big

TwoWays
    TwoWays's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3608

there needs to be no offsides in soccer. it's a dumb rule. let's play checkers not chess.

packerd_00
    packerd_00's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3369

Quote Originally Posted by akphidelt View Post
    Because I haven't researched Italian soccer fixing? Lmao!! Definitely must have missed that class in school.
    Because you stated Soccer was only fixed in third world countries.If you don't care about the subject don't bring it up in you're rant.

akphidelt

Quote Originally Posted by packerd_00 View Post
    Because you stated Soccer was only fixed in third world countries.If you don't care about the subject don't bring it up in you're rant.
    It was a joke that you took literally because you have a stick up your butt.

THam12
    Money is the motivation!
    THam12's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2280

Quote Originally Posted by THam12 View Post
    Im American and I love it.
    Its hard for most others to understand.

They dont understand the small things within the game. All they see is scoring (or lack thereof) and the "boringness". Because they just dont understand the game enough to appreciate it.
    My response got buried by morons.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1710

First it's "you're"... second having a gymnasium and baskets are far more expensive than children running on dirt kicking rocks around.
    Dumb. Negros played with milk carts on dirt roads.

Most basketball is played on the streets.

Yeah, no one in Europe has any money to play other sports...
    Fucken dumb.

Soccer is boring unless it's the world cup. Not enough scoring.
    Basically a more boring version of the nhl.

Club soccer is lame and format sucks.

packerd_00

It was a joke that you took literally because you have a stick up your butt.
    You were trying to be a smart ass and got exposed,thats all there is to it.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post

what about basketball? most NBA players cannot read or write...

Chris Bosh looks like a Raptor and he has to get the trainer to tie his shoes!

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1710

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post

Then US should have a really good team and lots of fans if that was the case.

How many millions in poverty?
    How many without university degrees?

SBR members should love soccer. Broke and stupid....lol

I watch world and euro cup. Otherwise don't give a penetrate.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: whareouttogetme

akphidelt

You were trying to be a smart ass and got exposed,thats all there is to it.
    Lol, I'm glad you took the International 3rd world soccer joke so literally and think you exposed something by proving there was match fixing in some Italian soccer leagues. Hahahaha, great work.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    Then US should have a really good team and lots of fans if that was the case.

How many millions in poverty?
    How many without university degrees?

SBR members should love soccer. Broke and stupid....lol

I watch world and euro cup. Otherwise don't give a penetrate.
    Yea...US also has several after school programs and government funded sports programs. You're not going to see Mr and Mrs Click Click Derk sign up Starvin Marvin for Tennis classes in the Congo. All it takes to play soccer is a field, a goat bladder stuff with some hay and a few rusty bean cans to mark the goal posts.

Pareto
    Pareto's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 52069

And we all know how dominant Congo ( and the rest of africa ) is in football (soccer)

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

Americans use soccer for children to get them ready to play real sports.
    I like soccer but this made me

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16073

My response got buried by morons.
    No....I played overseas so I get it...

Funny how people say how horrible and what a pussy sport soccer just because they don't understand it...

I think baseball is the most boring sport of all....but this is only my opinion because 80% of the game is standing around eating sunflower seeds..

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bear View Post

Chris Bosh looks like a Raptor and he has to get the trainer to tie his shoes!

This thread is entertaining!

packerd_00

Quote Originally Posted by Pareto View Post
    And we all know how dominant Congo ( and the rest of africa ) is in football (soccer)
    Yeah really,but that just goes to show the ignorance of some folk.

NrmlCurvSurfr
    NrmlCurvSurfr's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 600

Soccer is great to keep you in shape, but in HS it doesn't get you laid nearly as well as football and baseball, had pretty good luck with lax too...but yeah, soccer is boring, and I do understand the game. Great for keeping you in shape in offseason...that's about it. The flopping kills me.

TheCentaur

I enjoy soccer and enjoy betting on it. One thing I really like about it is 2 commercial free halves (even though they try to put holographic signs up). This scores major points with me but I think at the same time will hold it's popularity back compared to more commercially lucrative sports like football and basketball.

The real fans in the USA that I know almost invariably have played soccer at a higher level than a 10 yr old rec center league. There just aren't that many of them compared to football, basketball, and baseball though. For example Baseball is very popular in Cuba, but not in other Caribbean islands because it isn't played much.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Yeah really,but that just goes to show the ignorance of some folk.
    Popularity and being good at something are two completely different things. For example, picking winners is popular on the forum, but that doesn't mean everyone is good at it

THam12
    Money is the motivation!

People keep talking about the "flopping" in soccer. There are flop artists In every damn sport. You guys are ignorant. Football- guys act like they got hurt to slow down the no huddle, etc. Baseball- guys act like they get hit by the ball to get the free base. Basketball- dudes flop all the Time.

You see more of it in soccer because its the only damn sport where the legs do a majority of the work, therefore falling is 100 times easier. Please gain some intelligence before you just share what YouTube videos, made by more ignorant folks like yourself, have to say about soccer.
    Points Awarded:

kevoh gave THam12 1 SBR Point(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: RubberKettle

THam12
    Money is the motivation!

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    I enjoy soccer and enjoy betting on it. One thing I really like about it is 2 commercial free halves (even though they try to put holographic signs up). This scores major points with me but I think at the same time will hold it's popularity back compared to more commercially lucrative sports like football and basketball.

The real fans in the USA that I know almost invariably have played soccer at a higher level than a 10 yr old rec center league. There just aren't that many of them compared to football, basketball, and baseball though. For example Baseball is very popular in Cuba, but not in other Caribbean islands because it isn't played much.
    Your second paragraph is very well said.
    It goes along with what im trying to explain about understanding the game. Guys who didnt play at a high level (club, collegiate, pro) dont understand the game and how difficult it can be.

Thank you for this post.

NrmlCurvSurfr

People keep talking about the "flopping" in soccer. There are flop artists In every damn sport. You guys are ignorant. Football- guys act like they got hurt to slow down the no huddle, etc. Baseball- guys act like they get hit by the ball to get the free base. Basketball- dudes flop all the Time.

You see more of it in soccer because its the only damn sport where the legs do a majority of the work, therefore falling is 100 times easier. Please gain some intelligence before you just share what YouTube videos, made by more ignorant folks like yourself, have to say about soccer.
    I don't know how you bring up baseball, flopping in baseball? How can you even compare that with the flopping in soccer...there is a reason people talk about all the ridiculous flops in soccer...because it happens so frequently. Now I know NFL players sell pentalties on hard hits or interference but they don't do a back flip and act as if they've been shot or had a limb sawed off...no doubt soccer has the worst actors.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Because the inner city athletes go with basketball or football. The white kids of the suburbs play baseball, hockey, and football. Soccer is a beta sport, always will be.

THam12
    Money is the motivation!

Quote Originally Posted by NrmlCurvSurfr View Post
    I don't know how you bring up baseball, flopping in baseball? How can you even compare that with the flopping in soccer...there is a reason people talk about all the ridiculous flops in soccer...because it happens so frequently. Now I know NFL players sell pentalties on hard hits or interference but they don't do a back flip and act as if they've been shot or had a limb sawed off...no doubt soccer has the worst actors.
    Ok man. Youve clearly never played.

NrmlCurvSurfr

Ok man. Youve clearly never played.
    I have played. And when I did, we were taught to work as a team and to treat your opponent with respect, I suppose I got out of it before they taught us to over exaggerate any contact and whine until the ref buys it, or gives me a card for bad acting. Looks like I missed out on a lot not going pro

First 1234 Last