LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Great Sterling Discussion During the NBA Halftime Show

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

I'm sorry but you are never going to get a meaningful, unbiased discussion about race from 3 black former NBA players and a white guy surrounded by those former NBA players.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

History isnt unbiased.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    I'm sorry but you are never going to get a meaningful, unbiased discussion about race from 3 black former NBA players and a white guy surrounded by those former NBA players.
    Seemed pretty spot on to me. What exactly do you disagree with? You don't need to be Black to believe Sterling needs to be reprimanded.

44 Mag
    44 Mag's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13122

That was a great segment. And yes, if true they HAVE to suspend this guy immediately. Unreal!!! Thanks LT.

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Seemed pretty spot on to me. What exactly do you disagree with? You don't need to be Black to believe Sterling needs to be reprimanded.
    Well first of all, I don't believe you should be able to punish people for opinions they express in a supposedly private, but secretly recorded conversation

Don't get me wrong, I like the panel on that show and I like the show. There is a racial double standard on that show though. Things they say about whites would never fly if it were reversed
    Points Awarded:

Emancipator gave TheCentaur 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

1) Sterling has the right to say what he wants to say, when he wants to say it, as long as it isn't "fire!" in a crowded movie theater when there is no fire or immenent danger, or something along that ilk.

2) Nothing is proven, there are allegations, but no proof.
    When there is proof, then speak, until then, one should reserve judgement.
    Speaking of the word judgement, seems to me there is a lot of rush to judgement going on here.

3) He's the boss, he's the owner, the only person that can ask him to step down is the boss of the NBA

Speaking of rush to judgement.

Reverend Jesse Jackson weighed in on Sterling's alleged comments.
    "The first burden is upon the commissioner, Adam Silver, to act decisively because we don't want this to drag on throughout the playoffs," the noted civil rights activist said. "Donald Sterling should be banned immediately. The question is for how long. To do otherwise would subject his players to the indiginity of working for a racist.
    "And since Donald Sterling doesn't want blacks to go to his games, blacks should not go to his games. And whites who view blacks as equals should not go to his games. Why should the players even play for him when he has stated that their relatives -- their children, their parents, some of their wives -- are not welcome at their games."

1) "act decisively because we don't want this to drag on throughout the playoffs,"

Sounds like the "reverend" is rushing to judgement here to me

2)
    "Donald Sterling should be banned immediately"

Uhh, Rev, let's have some type of hearing or something first.
    It's still just allegations.
    Rev, your buddy Al Sharpton was quick to rush that Tawana Brawley was an innocent girl too, how'd that work out.

3) I believe blacks should be treated as equals and I believe they are equals, but I don't need, nor want Jesse telling me to attend basketball games based on what one man may or may not have said, regardless of his past.
    I am more than capable of independent thought, I don't need your opinion there Jesse.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 5 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Triple_D_Bet, Cuse0323, Bluehorseshoe, oldscho0led, and Emancipator

tto827
    tto827's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 76

Well first of all, I don't believe you should be able to punish people for opinions they express in a supposedly private, but secretly recorded conversation

Don't get me wrong, I like the panel on that show and I like the show. There is a racial double standard on that show though. Things they say about whites would never fly if it were reversed
    Exactly.. its not like he left a voicemail.. this is a private conversation. Are we going to suspend him for giving his grandkids a spanking next week? NBA in a damn tough situation here cause if something happens against the "black" population and something isn't done about it, many people tend to get quite upset and make it a huge deal.

bob6199
    bob6199's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2477

i lol at his right to his own opinion, you guys are idiots for saying that, when you are a racist and only own a team for the money, it's clear he needs to be suspended

bob6199

his fault for dating a girl who know what he was saying and being smart and recording it, maybe he should choose better ho's to penetrate

jtoler

Whats not proof? Thats him on the tape right.

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13317

There goes the clipper series

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by bob6199 View Post
    i lol at his right to his own opinion, you guys are idiots for saying that, when you are a racist and only own a team for the money, it's clear he needs to be suspended
    I understand that you feel strongly about this, and are quite sure the way you think is noble and ethical, and believe the way he thinks is not.

I just don't think people grasp how danger it is to punish opinions and thoughts.

What happens when in the near future popular opinions shift and people get together and want to punish you for liking big asses, or eating meat, or thinking there is/isn't alien life out there?

KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 20334

Who really cares. Some important guy said some racist stuff...okay. Racist stuff gets said everyday, only thing is we usually don't hear it. Last time I checked, it isn't against the law to say racist stuff. Should he be suspended if they prove it is him? Yes. So investigate it, and if it's him, then suspend him. But don't drag this out into some long story that over-shadows these great playoffs. I could care less if some old rich white guy is racist. There are much worst people in the world to worry about.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: thetrinity

TheCentaur

his fault for dating a girl who know what he was saying and being smart and recording it, maybe he should choose better ho's to penetrate
    I wonder if private conversations you have had could be used against u if they were recorded

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32231

I wonder if private conversations you have had could be used against u if they were recorded
    I am betting at least three a day.

Git Lo
    Git Lo's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13317

TheCentaur you should stop bringing up scenarios, that cease to exist, to prove your point. Also privacy is not in the constitution. And there is definitely something wrong when the owner of an NBA team makes racist remarks about blacks, that's up there with worse people in the world actually.

bob6199

yes they can, happens all the time, just don't say stupid stuff to ppl you don't trust, it's worked for me, it's not rocket science

bob6199

Quote Originally Posted by KRIT View Post
    Who really cares. Some important guy said some racist stuff...okay. Racist stuff gets said everyday, only thing is we usually don't hear it. Last time I checked, it isn't against the law to say racist stuff. Should he be suspended if they prove it is him? Yes. So investigate it, and if it's him, then suspend him. But don't drag this out into some long story that over-shadows these great playoffs. I could care less if some old rich white guy is racist. There are much worst people in the world to worry about.
    UMMM they have a TAPE of him saying it, so yea i'm pretty sure they have evidence and when you are a racist and OWN and team that employees blacks then yea it is a issue..

TheCentaur

Quote Originally Posted by Git Lo View Post
    TheCentaur you should stop bringing up scenarios, that cease to exist, to prove your point. .
    They are analogies that remove the emotion of race from the subject so you can see the situation for what it is, because it seems many people are unable to think about this logically

I don't know about privacy in the constitution, but I bet you would have a fit if someone secretly taped your wife in a changing room or printed all ur text messages out and passed them around at ur job

bob6199

They are analogies that remove the emotion of race from the subject so you can see the situation for what it is, because it seems many people are unable to think about this logically

I don't know about privacy in the constitution, but I bet you would have a fit if someone secretly taped your wife in a changing room or printed all ur text messages out and passed them around at ur job
    you actually don't have access to get another person's text messages without hacking which is illegal, so for someone saying he is being logical he isn't using much logic..

James D
    James D's Avatar Become A Pro!

Its actually against the law in California to tape a conversation without other person knowing. Most states have this law, it's called two party consent . A few states only one person on call has to know about recording. What she did was actually against the law.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree donald should be fined, maybe even a suspension. He has every right to have these views and to express them privately but the NBA is a brand and his hurts the brand. So he needs to he punished,I just hope the penalty is not ridiculous because people have always hated him. Anything Don does that's bad will be in spotlight and any good will be ignored. Been true for 25 years.

every one of these statements is more racist and offensive and were not done privately like Donald's comments. Yet nothing happened to these people. There was virtually no moral outrage anywhere no protests no boycotts etc etc . Let's face reality life is full of double standards.

1) "(Obama’s) a nice person, he’s very articulate this is what’s been used against him, but he couldn’t sell watermelons if it, you gave him the state troopers to flag down the traffic." -- Dan Rather

2) “White folks was in the caves while we [blacks] was building empires … We built pyramids before Donald Trump ever knew what architecture was … we taught philosophy and astrology and mathematics before Socrates and them Greek homos ever got around to it." -- Al Sharpton

3) "‘Hymies.’ ‘Hymietown.’" -- Jesse Jackson’s description of New York City while on the 1984 presidential campaign trail.

4) "A few years ago, (Barack Obama) would have been getting us coffee." -- Bill Clinton to Ted Kennedy

5) "The Israeli puppeteer travels to Washington and meets with the puppet in the White House. He then goes down Pennsylvania Avenue and meets with the puppets in Congress. The Israeli leader then 'brings back millions of dollars' in aid to Israel." -- Ralph Nader

6) "(Harry Reid) was wowed by Obama's oratorical gifts and believed that the country was ready to embrace a black presidential candidate, especially one such as Obama -- a 'light-skinned' African American 'with no Negro dialect, unless he wanted to have one." -- Harry Reid's comments reported by Mark Halperin and John Heilemann

7) "I do not think it is an exaggeration at all to say to my friend from West Virginia [Sen. Robert C. Byrd, a former Ku Klux Klan recruiter] that he would have been a great senator at any moment. . . . He would have been right during the great conflict of civil war in this nation." -- Former Democratic Senator Christopher Dodd (D.,Conn.)

8) “Civil rights laws were not passed to protect the rights of white men and do not apply to them.” -- Mary Frances Berry, former Chairwoman, US Commission on Civil Rights

9) "Tainting the tea party movement with the charge of racism is proving to be an effective strategy for Democrats. There is no evidence that tea party adherents are any more racist than other Republicans, and indeed many other Americans. But getting them to spend their time purging their ranks and having candidates distance themselves should help Democrats win in November. Having one’s opponent rebut charges of racism is far better than discussing joblessness." -- Mary Frances Berry, former Chairwoman, US Commission on Civil Rights

10) “Well, because the Arabs who were involved in 9/11 cooperated with the Zionists, actually. It was a cooperation. They gave them the perfect excuse to denounce all Arabs. It’s a racist sort of thing, really racist – you know, picking out these 19 or 20 terrorists – they were terrorists – and saying all the Arabs are like them.” — Former Democratic Senator James Abourezk on Hizbullah TV

11) "Let me see one of you adopt one of those ugly black babies." -- Abortionist Ashutosh Ron Virmani

12) “There’s no great, white bigot; there’s just about 200 million little white bigots out there.” -- USA Today columnist Julienne Malveaux

13) "Them Jews aren’t going to let (Obama) talk to me. I told my baby daughter, that he’ll talk to me in five years when he’s a lame duck, or in eight years when he’s out of office. …They will not let him talk to somebody who calls a spade what it is.” -- Jeremiah Wright

14) "There’s white racist DNA running through the synapses of his or her brain tissue. They will kill their own kind, defend the enemies of their kind or anyone who is perceived to be the enemy of the milky white way of life." -- Jeremiah Wright

15) "The white man is our mortal enemy, and we cannot accept him. I will fight to see that vicious beast go down into the lake of fire prepared for him from the beginning, that he never rise again to give any innocent black man, woman or child the hell that he has delighted in pouring on us for 400 years.” -- Louis Farrakhan

16) “White people shouldn’t be allowed to vote. It’s for the good of the country and for those who’re bitter for a reason and armed because they’re scared.” -- Left-wing journalist Jonathan Valania

17) "(Joseph Lowery) said that when he was a young militant, he used to say all white folks were going to hell. ...'Then he mellowed and just said most of them were. Now, he said, he is back to where he was.’" -- The Daily Mail quotes Joseph Lowery, who gave the benediction at President Obama’s inauguration

18) "We are owned by propagandists against the Arabs. There’s no question about that. Congress, the White House, and Hollywood, Wall Street, are owned by the Zionists. No question in my opinion. They put their money where their mouth is…We’re being pushed into a wrong direction in every way." -- Helen Thomas

19) “You cannot go to a 7-11 or Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian Accent.” -- Joe Biden

20) “I mean, you got the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy. I mean, that’s a storybook, man.” -- Joe Biden

21) "I give interracial couples a look. Daggers. They get uncomfortable when they see me on the street." -- Spike Lee

22) “I want to go up to the closest white person and say: ‘You can’t understand this, it’s a black thing’ and then slap him, just for my mental health.” — New York City Councilman, Charles Barron

23) "We got to do something about these Asians coming in and opening up businesses and dirty shops. They ought to go." -- Marion Barry

24) “The point I was making was not that Grandmother harbors any racial animosity. She doesn’t. But she is a typical white person…” -- Barack Obama

25) “That’s just how white folks will do you. It wasn’t merely the cruelty involved; I was learning that black people could be mean and then some. It was a particular brand of arrogance, an obtuseness in otherwise sane people that brought forth our bitter laughter. It was as if whites didn’t know that they were being cruel in the first place. Or at least thought you deserving of their scorn.” -- Barack Obama
    Points Awarded:

KRIT gave James D 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

High3rEl3m3nt
    SBR's 7 figure Contractor
    High3rEl3m3nt's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4134

I would had been impressed if one of the four stated that they would refrain from making a judgment, given the history of racism in the U.S. and the lack of objectivity when it comes to discussing potential race-related issues, until the NBA conducted their investigation. The way it is going, the investigation will be pointless, because all these people are going to make a conclusion and the NBA will be forced to comply with their conclusions, regardless of what their investigation turns over.

jtoler

Only listened to half the convo, but by speculating he may be racist but the convo wasnt that bad to me. Seems he's more concerned about image than anything, seems its more of an ego thing for him, kinda dont blame him, my thing with him is, he's silly to be dating that chick anyway, has to know she was only with him for one reason only.

TheCentaur

you actually don't have access to get another person's text messages without hacking which is illegal, so for someone saying he is being logical he isn't using much logic..
    um, what if they were given to you by the people to whom you texted, just like this chick gave it to TMZ?

Stop being a clown

I'm trying to have an honest conversation here

Check out post number 8 if you don't like my analogies (to GitLo). The spanking analogy is pretty spot on, I wonder if you can bring urself to see that. If he was secretly taped giving his grandkid a pretty harsh spanking there would be a similar public outcry, albeit from a different segment of the population

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Who cares

I am worried who covers games

James D

Like jtoler just wrote anyone who listens to the actual tapes realizes it's not as bad as people are saying. Also when she said " I am half black and half Mexican" and don answers " I thought you changed that "! It's pretty obvious the tapes are edited.

How do you change that your 1/2 black and 1/2 Mexican? LOL

Anyone who thinks the sterlings lose the team is crazy. Don and Shelly are two of these most influential owners in the league. Virtually no one owns a team outright with no other investors except the Sterlings. This year at the NBA meetings In NY they had a tribute to David Stern since he was retiring. You know who they chose to give the speech honoring him? The longest tenured NBA owner Shelly sterling . Since Jerry Buss passed away the sterlings are the longest tenured owners of an NBA franchise. By the way, they sterlings only got into NBA ownership because they loaned Jerry Buss some of the money he needed to buy lakers and then also bought a few of his buildings to give him the rest of the capital. There was no Jerry buss lakers without donald sterling, very few people remember that. If you don't believe me I included a link below . Then Buss told Sterling a few years later what a cash cow the NBA is and the sterlings bought the clippers. Dons best friend is Reinsdorf the bulls owner. The sterlings despite dons occasional stupidity are powerful and respected in the NBA hierarchy. His dumb insensitive comments are not going to change that after 33 years in the league.

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/mar...money-20130303
    Last edited by James D; 04-26-14 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Jtoler

The Kraken
    The Kraken's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 532

Quote Originally Posted by tto827 View Post
    Exactly.. its not like he left a voicemail.. this is a private conversation. Are we going to suspend him for giving his grandkids a spanking next week? NBA in a damn tough situation here cause if something happens against the "black" population and something isn't done about it, many people tend to get quite upset and make it a huge deal.
    Agree. He had no clue she was recording the conversation and she did. Therefore, he was speaking privately and candidly while she was speaking for a future audience, knowing full well that when she decided to released this tape, everyone would hear it. She is the one that kept the conversation going, she is manipulative, slimy and a bitch for doing this.

jjgold

This guy is mega wealthy and can care less

jtoler

Why would she expose prob tried to blackmail him after she couldnt get something she wanted. Like I said he should be old enough to know not to be messing with a silly broad like that.

GoBlue77
    GoBlue77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19052

Girlfriend set this dude up bad. You can tell how she leads him to say things. She practically put words in his mouth throughout the conversation.

James D

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    This guy is mega wealthy and can care less
    he barely cares, it's hard on his wife though. Very hard.

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Why would she expose prob tried to blackmail him after she couldnt get something she wanted. Like I said he should be old enough to know not to be messing with a silly broad like that.
    He was actually crazy about her. She already got about 7 million there was no reason to blackmail and risk it all.

Quote Originally Posted by GoBlue77 View Post
    Girlfriend set this dude up bad. You can tell how she leads him to say things. She practically put words in his mouth throughout the conversation.

This is one of best posts regarding the whole story. So obvious she is trying to get him to say bad things and destroy himself . She keeps acting like a saint and leading him to say he hates blacks and minorities but he never takes the bait.

at some point her record (DWI etc etc ) and her associations will come out

jjgold

blacks will run with it like idiots

GoBlue77
    GoBlue77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19052

Listened to the tape and thought it was more about Sterling hating Magic and the Lakers more than it was about racism. So many uptight people. Its not like the guy was dropping N bombs right and left and saying he hated blacks...

jtoler

Quote Originally Posted by James D View Post
    He was actually crazy about her. She already got about 7 million there was no reason to blackmail and risk it all.
    7 million in what? If you dont think exposing that tape is risking then what is.

1234 ... Last