Serbone
    Serbone's Avatar Become A Pro!

Another important thing is money management. Do not bet big unless you have a lot of strong reasons, not just "I think Dallas can do it, they need this game". The linemakers KNOW Dallas "needs this game".

Stats, trends, injuries, motivation, all on one side, in your research, then bet big on the side you like. It is not who you play, but when you play them...

Also, only bet HUGE when you are ahead.

First make small-medium bets, if you accumulate some winnings, and then see a game that you think are too many points, your team is motivated compared to the other, has a good offense, better sos, (whatever), other team has injuries, THEN you bet a HUGE bet. With the house money.

Serbone
    Serbone's Avatar Become A Pro!

FINAL RULE from SerbOne:

Never pay for plays.

If these crooks had, let's say, 10 certain winners, would they give them to YOU for $ 50?

No, they might give you 5 or 6 to keep you in the hunt.

Think about it. If / when they get hot they back off.

When you pick, you are trying to pick 100%. When they pick, their target is 55%. They like to get some winners early to keep you coming, then dump.

BillAccpetor
    IPhone rockz
    BillAccpetor's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 66

#1. Money Management

#2. Flat Betting

#3. Bet against the public

#4. Do not bet on teams with the most attention this day

#5. Be cold, do not bet with your heart

#6. Record your bets (SBR Spreadsheet, Excel etc.)

#7. Do not put everything on one bet

oda11
    oda11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2782

Alway think: If I have money left in my account, I will turn it around. So yeh, money management is the key.

monopolyguy
    monopolyguy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

someone told me, bet no more than 10% of bankroll in a day, no more than 1-2% on a single game. too bad my bankroll is so small that 1-2% is only $2-4. maybe it will go up pretty soon.

pinnacle212
    pinnacle212's Avatar Become A Pro!

Fade ZBOIZ

Capn Morgan
    Capn Morgan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 49

Quote Originally Posted by BEANTOWNJIM View Post
    ALWAYS BET ON THE WHITE QUARTERBACK OVER THE BLACK ONE I CALL THIS THE BEANTOWNIM RULE.BLACK GUYS PANIC UNDER PRESSURE AND THROW BAD PASSES THIS IS A KNOWN FACT IN THE S.E.C CONFERENCE

IN THE NBA NEVER BET ON A TEAM WITH 5 BLACK STARTERS EVERY TEAM NEEDS A SLOW WHITE GUY TO THINK THINGS OUT OUTHERWISE YOU HAVE A CHINESE FIRE DRILL OUT OF CONTROL TEAM AND NOBODY WANTS TO PASS THE BALL.

BOYS YOU FOLLOW THESE TWO RULES AND YOU WILL MAKE MONEY
    LOL! your the man pal, always good for a laugh

Sawyer
    Sawyer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6650

1. Don't bet more then you can afford to lose, Golden rule.
    2. Majority of your bets should be straight/single wagers. Parlays are sucker bets but sometimes 2-Game parlays can be very handy but don't go for 5-Game, 10-Game Crazy parlays.
    3. Stay emotionless all the time. Bet like a robot. There's no place for emotions in this profession.
    4. Patience & Discipline is the key. Develop these skills.
    5. Money management is extremely important. Use a money management system and stick with it religiously.
    6. There should not be dramatical difference between your stakes. Don't place 2 unit on Game-A, 10 Unit on Game-B and 40 Unit then Game-C.
    7. Be selective. Pick your spots and wait for the right opportunity.
    8. Always shop for the best line, Always! So you should have an account in multiple books.
    9. Set goals, write down your goals. Realize your target in your head first.
    10. Always check THA DIESEL's thread before placing a bet. His Jinx is too strong.

Final rule is probably the most important one
    Last edited by Sawyer; 06-22-10 at 04:16 AM.

sweetjones55
    554-381 (59.2%) NBA/WNBA/Football Record
    sweetjones55's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think this rule is horrible. You should always watch the game from beginning to end. Other than that I think the other 9 rules are good to go by.

#6 DON'T WATCH THE GAMES OR SCORES: UNLESS YOU ARE WINNING OR HAVE A GOOD FEELING ABOUT YOUR CHANCES IT IS NOT WORTH THE HELL YOU'LL PUT YOURSELF THROUGH "LIKE A WILD STALLION RUNNING TOWARDS A BURNING STABLE!" REMEMBER THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT AN OUTCOME OF A GAME BY PAYING ATTENTION TO IT.

Risk more when you are up, risk less when you are down.
    Last edited by sweetjones55; 06-22-10 at 07:20 AM.

Poogs
    Poogs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1346

Not to be a dick but this is some of the worst advice on sportsbetting I've ever read. Like the entire thread is horrible. If you're just starting out do NOT follow advice in this thread.

jennahazeplays
    jennahazeplays's Avatar Become A Pro!

lots of good advise here

sweetjones55
    554-381 (59.2%) NBA/WNBA/Football Record
    sweetjones55's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Poogs View Post
    Not to be a dick but this is some of the worst advice on sportsbetting I've ever read. Like the entire thread is horrible. If you're just starting out do NOT follow advice in this thread.
    Instead of completely bashing the thread which actually does have good advice, why don't you give us your top ten rules to follow.

tealish
    tealish's Avatar Become A Pro!

interesting

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

Don't bet a sport if you don't follow it regularly because line movement info and following the money can only get you so far.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

i have to watch games i will probably die early 50s from all the stress but have to watch.

Jedi
    Jedi's Avatar Become A Pro!

awesome post... thinking about it...

durito
    escarabajo negro
    durito's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 438

Quote Originally Posted by BigdaddyQH View Post
    Just to add on to my rule #10. As some of you may have noticed, I play a lot of "middles". I do this because it gives the best possible return on my money for the least amount of risk. Now the main reason why I am capable of doing this is because I wager with others as a group. For us to wager 50K or more on a game, as a group, is certainly within the norm. Because we are capable of making such wagers, we get "courtesies" in Vegas books that most players can not get. The biggest courtesy is that we get to play the "lead line", which means we can wager on games before the books make corrections and throw it open to the public. Now I am fortunate to be in this position. The thing to remember is that the vast majority of people are not. The vast majority of people do not have a computer that rivals the LVSC computer and spits out picks. The vast majority of people do not have 10-15 people who have been wagering on football for 20+ years and have a ton of experience, especially in figuring out what Joe Pub is going to do. That is why I say not to try and out think the pros. The fact is that most people have no idea what the pros think, and how they come up with their wagers. You guys have to develop your own systems and strategies. I think that all of us who have been doing this for years will agree that you have to develop yor own technique. If you are serious, it will take work. It took me 5 years to develop my basic startegy, and I, and my group, are constatly tweaking it.

You might the dumbest poster ever to post on a gambling board.

Holtgetsback
    Holtgetsback's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1402

Vegas must have a soft spot for professional syndicates...allowing them to bet 50k into a bad line.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Important money management rules:

I believe money management is one of the if not the most important rule in sports betting. Why? We all need discipline and if you set rules for yourself it's easier to keep this discipline in tact. I am going to contribute one of my rules that really helps me out here it is: Always cash out 90% of your bankroll monthly.Why? because most books have a one free a month payout policy use it! say you are up $3,000 for the month and you say to yourself I got the power of $ on my side now I'm going to triple that this month.Wrong! you need to take your winnings out and start from scratch that way it helps you stay grounded and stick to your set of rules. See: Important money management rules:

IN THE PLAYERS TALK FORUM Back to subject: Say you keep your $3,000 in your account and you are confident on your nights plays and you lose. Everybody that gambles should know that even one loss can send you on a downward spiral in a whirlwind. One loss and you lose confidence second guess yourself and worse of all YOU can go on TILT! MORAL OF THE STORY IS:Always bet like your down to your last dollar whether your up or down. I would like to hear about other SBRmermbers MONEY MANAGEMENT GUIDELINES Please keep all comments related to the SUBJECT I know that there will be childish remarks in this thread from past experiences JUST IGNORE THEM! half the posters in this forum I honestly believe they are under the age of 16 Good luck PAULYPOKER

sportsfanatic
    Update your status
    sportsfanatic's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3908

interesting

foosh99
    foosh99's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 304

All this info is helpful for a rookie like me. Great stuff

curious
    curious's Avatar Become A Pro!

I will tell you the secret of winning big in sports betting. And if you know anything about me you know that since 2007 I have had only winning seasons in NCAAB, NCAAF, NBA, and MLB (except for this season in MLB, I am down a lot).

Okay, so here is the secret. Bet more on the winning plays.

PAULYPOKER

Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    I will tell you the secret of winning big in sports betting. And if you know anything about me you know that since 2007 I have had only winning seasons in NCAAB, NCAAF, NBA, and MLB (except for this season in MLB, I am down a lot). Okay, so here is the secret. Bet more on the winning plays.
    WOW!!
    This has to be the most intelligent post ever in the history of all Sports Forums...

CONGRATS!YOU'VE EARNED IT!!

rise
    rise's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 30

allways book the other guy action

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0
    HoldEmHook!!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

Quote Originally Posted by Snowball View Post
    here's some of my rules off the top of my head:

1) Don't chase. If you lose, there's more games tomorrow, or next weekend, for that matter.
    Pay up and start your research for the next ticket.
    2) Watch your games. Know the sport and how it's played. Seriously.
    Numbers are one thing, winning is another.
    3) Roster changes, weather, injuries, what's "in their heads" (arguments, controversies, etc.)
    all factor the result
    4) If you're not sure, kick back and WATCH the First half.
    Winning bets can be made on the Second Half based on First half analysis. "Show Me."
    5) Always think about tomorrow, not tonight. Who cares where you are after tonight.
    Where you gonna be tomorrow ? Because you KNOW you're going to bet AGAIN.
    Tomorrow's card as important as todays. Be there for it.
    6) If you hit it BIG, take at least half OFF and go BUY SOMETHING CONCRETE.

peace
    this is golden....I would add " dont play a game just because its on T.V."

HoldEmHook!!
    BAMA 70 Auburn 0
    HoldEmHook!!'s Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 41

Quote Originally Posted by Poogs View Post
    OK then enlighten us O gifted of the gamblers...

PAULYPOKER

Quote Originally Posted by HoldEmHook!! View Post
    OK then enlighten us O gifted of the gamblers...
    He is only saying this to send the inexperienced ones a mixed message.............

PAULYPOKER

In other words he is defined as a RAIN MAN,which means if the information does not consist of mathematical formulas and calculations well then it is all from another planet to him because his mind is programed to see numbers only and can not comprehend intuition.......

Sawyer

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    WOW!!
    This has to be the most intelligent post ever in the history of all Sports Forums...

CONGRATS!YOU'VE EARNED IT!!

Well Said Pauly!

Sawyer

Don't chase your loses UNLESS you have a good chase system.

GunShard
    Invest In Ethereum And Bitcoin
    GunShard's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1896

#1. Bet at the right time. Never bet for action or just because you feel like it. And know the possibility of being wrong.

#2. Weather such as rain and snow will make the team with the best offense, win.

#3. Home advantage, especially in a dome stadium. Will make the home team more likely to win because of the stadium noise.

#4. Money Management. Bet what you need to bet and know when to quit.

#5. Future bets are easier to win than ATS and ML bets.

#6. Pay attention to injuries to important players, most of the time can effect the outcome of a game.

#7. NFL teams after the Bye, especially favorites, will have a high chance of winning.

#8. Do as much research as possible.

#9. Don't bet on a team, just because it's your favorite or in your state. Betting on hype over skill is a mistake.

#10 I personally would avoid playing pre season, due to imbalanced teams and teams who are just experimenting. Many say that the first few weeks of regular season is a guessing game.

Also, when betting on ATS. Pay attention to the lines, see if they are moving up or down. You can see where the public is placing most of the money.
    Last edited by GunShard; 06-22-10 at 11:57 PM.

PAULYPOKER

Quote Originally Posted by GunShard View Post
    #10 I personally would avoid playing pre season, due to imbalanced teams and teams who are just experimenting. Many say that the first few weeks of regular season is a guessing game.
    This is a favorite unwritten rule of mine>My version>NFL only>

Never make a play until the 5th week in the season>My reason>

It takes this long for the Teams to have an identity so I can properly Cap them and if I Cap them anytime before this I am basically wagering blindly or in other words a coin flip which I do not do when it comes to the NFL because I take my NFL the most serious out of all sports it is just simply my bread and butter and every wager I place is expected to be a winner......

curious
    curious's Avatar Become A Pro!

Wow, what a big pile of horse manure most of this "advice" is. Okay, advice is subjective, so I'll give the advisers the benefit of the doubt. But, I cannot help but notice that THE most important thing in sports betting no one mentions. Huh?

Here is the #1 most important rule, nothing else comes close.

Find an edge that you understand and become an expert in it so that when you look at plays you can tell if a given play exploits the edge. You will actually need multiple edges but if you can't find one edge you won't be able to find more than one edge, so you have to start with that.

This means that you either have to a) learn how to cap yourself, or b) learn how to tell if other people know how to pick winners and figure out how to tail people who are really good at picking winners.

You should never, ever, ever bet on a game if you don't have real solid reasons for why the team you pick is going to win (or cover the spread if you are betting the spread).

And the reasons have to be things you understand yourself.

If you can't do one of a or b mentioned above then you should not be betting.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Quote Originally Posted by PAULYPOKER View Post
    This is a favorite unwritten rule of mine>My version>NFL only>

Never make a play until the 5th week in the season>My reason>

It takes this long for the Teams to have an identity so I can properly Cap them and if I Cap them anytime before this I am basically wagering blindly or in other words a coin flip which I do not do when it comes to the NFL because I take my NFL the most serious out of all sports it is just simply my bread and butter and every wager I place is expected to be a winner......
    If you have to wait until week 5 to place a wager on the NFL, get out now. What a loser. Since Big Ben can not play for the 1st 4 weeks, according to that stupid philosophy, you would not be able to wager any Pitt games until after week 8, because it will take Pitt that long to reestablish their "identity". Duh???? That is the dumbest post so far, exceeding you play all the sports rule and your Sports gambling is the best gambling rule. No wonder you lost so much money last season in football. Some things just never change.

Poogs
    Poogs's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1346

I'm not going to post on a public forum on how to beat sports betting for obvious reasons. If you don't understand said reasons you have some work to do. Likewise, if you think you're going to find the answer in a thread like this you have a lot of work to do.

This forum and 2p2 are great places for good info, you just have to sift out the garbage to get the gold. Hint: granchow.

First 123456 Last