LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

North Carolina Fake Classes

Wait, star college athletes attended sham classes and received sham grades? I have never heard of this happening anywhere else before.

http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/...-scandal-paper
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: PaperTrail07, and trevor123698

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

UNC is overrated anyway.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Let's get them on probation

Never liked that school
    Points Awarded:

Big Bear gave jjgold 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 2 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Big Bear, and James D

las8
    BigdaddyQH is a pedophile
    las8's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16799

My money is on McAdoo. He doesn't look too bright.

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

Don't they have entire SHAM degrees lolol...
    Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    Wait, star college athletes attended sham classes and received sham grades? I have never heard of this happening anywhere else before.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

When was the last time you attended college LT? During the Vietnam war?

PaperTrail07
    MMA is the most pure sport
    PaperTrail07's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 585

Had class with tons of FB players.....I saw Santonio Homes turn in an excel sheet that he filled in cell by cell LMOA....he didn't use any formulas..just had a printout of what the completed product looked like...lol....had a crew of 5 that stayed with him to make sure he as on point attending and what not...would people feel better if they were cheated through difficult classes....lol.....
    Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Looks like solid work to me, right to the point. Instead of three pages of nonsense and filler.

Da Manster!
    Da Manster!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2714

I just love the double standards and hypocrisy that these so-called universities aka institutions of higher learning practice and preach...you have the UNC scandal which has happened quite frequently at other colleges as well, you have FLA ST grade fixing and football players deliberately cheating on exams (and still remain at the school on a full ride while any other student would have been expelled permanently), you have illiterate guys like Dexter Manley who can't read or write but yet graduated with a bachelors degree from Oklahoma ST, you have misappropriation of funds with Cam Newton and Auburn, Jim Tressell and Ohio St, Reggie Bush and Pete Carroll's shenanigans at USC, but god forbid coaches like O'Leary and Masiello tell a little "lie" on their resume about their education level and/or whether or not they graduated from a certain university and then that school plays the "holier than thou" card and rescinds their offer!.......all in the name of morals, ethics, and standards!....

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

Lots of them dont do the work anyway, I remember an ex telling me Mo Williams told her about a "tutor" doing his homework and projects for him back when he was at Bama and she went there. Quite a few stories Ive heard like that. I remember football players going up to teachers after class and telling them when they wouldnt be able to be in class having games and all, they were excused, just the thought of competing in sports and passing classes with the travel and all seems hard as heck.

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    I was so smart I went to two of them. Started at Hofstra back when team nickname was still the Flying Dutchmen, graduated from Fordham in 1986. God I'm old.

James D
    James D's Avatar Become A Pro!

I was so smart I went to two of them. Started at Hofstra back when team nickname was still the Flying Dutchmen, graduated from Fordham in 1986. God I'm old.
    I won a 100 dollar bet with a friend at Hofstra one night when we jumped the fence and ran an end zone to end zone race on jets practice field in the early 1990's. He is a tennis coach now at the Tennis center in flushing and I would lose that bet today LOL .

Amazing Hofstra football turned out some real nfl studs

LT Profits

Quote Originally Posted by James D View Post
    I won a 100 dollar bet with a friend at Hofstra one night when we jumped the fence and ran an end zone to end zone race on jets practice field in the early 1990's. He is a tennis coach now at the Tennis center in flushing and I would lose that bet today LOL .

Amazing Hofstra football turned out some real nfl studs
    Yes my sister-in-law was fairly good friends with Wayne Chrebet

jnanayoga
    jnanayoga's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 546

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Lots of them dont do the work anyway, I remember an ex telling me Mo Williams told her about a "tutor" doing his homework and projects for him back when he was at Bama and she went there. Quite a few stories Ive heard like that. I remember football players going up to teachers after class and telling them when they wouldn't be able to be in class having games and all, they were excused, just the thought of competing in sports and passing classes with the travel and all seems hard as heck.
    I agree, a lot of these very competitive schools (I would throw UNC in that bunch) require a tremendous amount of time for even for the students that were the 4.0 in HS and 95th percentile on the SAT. Not only are many of the athletes in no position to compete academically in the first place, you then ask them to basically work a full time job while trying to pass the classes. It takes only the smallest bit of common sense to realize this kind of stuff must go on or the majority of the team would find themselves ineligible.

Cuse0323

Quote Originally Posted by jnanayoga View Post
    I agree, a lot of these very competitive schools (I would throw UNC in that bunch) require a tremendous amount of time for even for the students that were the 4.0 in HS and 95th percentile on the SAT. Not only are many of the athletes in no position to compete academically in the first place, you then ask them to basically work a full time job while trying to pass the classes. It takes only the smallest bit of common sense to realize this kind of stuff must go on or the majority of the team would find themselves ineligible.
    UNC is a tough school to get into so it definitely applies here, they have high standards for real students. And you're right, hard enough for the average student to get it done without practice and games being the real reason you're there.

bob6199
    bob6199's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2477

My Sister went to UCLA and had a football player in one of her classes and he explained before Mora was hired they had tutors do all the work for them and they turned it in, but since Mora took over they banned the tutors and they have to do their own work. My sister was assigned a group project with him and let's just say the football player did none of the work and was really not that bright.

MoneyLineDawg
    Update your status
    MoneyLineDawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Da Manster! View Post
    I just love the double standards and hypocrisy that these so-called universities aka institutions of higher learning practice and preach...you have the UNC scandal which has happened quite frequently at other colleges as well, you have FLA ST grade fixing and football players deliberately cheating on exams (and still remain at the school on a full ride while any other student would have been expelled permanently), you have illiterate guys like Dexter Manley who can't read or write but yet graduated with a bachelors degree from Oklahoma ST, you have misappropriation of funds with Cam Newton and Auburn, Jim Tressell and Ohio St, Reggie Bush and Pete Carroll's shenanigans at USC, but god forbid coaches like O'Leary and Masiello tell a little "lie" on their resume about their education level and/or whether or not they graduated from a certain university and then that school plays the "holier than thou" card and rescinds their offer!.......all in the name of morals, ethics, and standards!....
    Mo' Money Mo' Problems

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Time to drop the facade. The whole system is a farce.

Cuse0323

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Time to drop the facade. The whole system is a farce.
    That's the issue, how do they go about it? We all know these kids don't do shit in class but can't come out and say that. Minor league system?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by Cuse0323 View Post
    That's the issue, how do they go about it? We all know these kids don't do shit in class but can't come out and say that. Minor league system?
    I really don't know to be honest. It's not an easy solution, and what do you do with/for the true student athletes who are actually out to get an education? (say Aaron Craft for instance).

Cuse0323

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    I really don't know to be honest. It's not an easy solution, and what do you do with/for the true student athletes who are actually out to get an education? (say Aaron Craft for instance).
    Yeah, impossible to find the perfect solution. As you said, some of these kids do appreciate their scholarship.

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito
    frogsrangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5421

Quote Originally Posted by jnanayoga View Post
    I played football and had plenty of time for study. We only traveled about 5-6 times a year and that was on weekends. There was mandatory study halls and plenty of time to study before or after practice. Saying there isn't enough time for schoolwork is just an excuse for the lazy.

Cuse0323

Quote Originally Posted by frogsrangers View Post
    I played football and had plenty of time for study. We only traveled about 5-6 times a year and that was on weekends. There was mandatory study halls and plenty of time to study before or after practice. Saying there isn't enough time for schoolwork is just an excuse for the lazy.
    Valid point. You know they're lazy though when they can see that the NBA is just a year or two away plus they probably never did very well in school and it wouldn't be in their future without sports.

ThaTopMoron
    Body-Bags
    ThaTopMoron's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6858

this really surprise any of you?

Da Manster!
    Da Manster!'s Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2714

this

MarcusPaige
    MarcusPaige's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 986

This story is two years old in North Carolina, but for some reason it's snowballing with the national media now. Haven't heard of any other major athletic programs criticizing UNC though, because those who live in glass houses do not throw stones.

ETA: For there to be an NCAA violation, there has to be proof that whatever academic fraud may have occurred actually originated in the athletic department. This was a rogue professor in the African American studies department who presumably knew he was hooking up athletes, but there is no evidence the athletic department put him up to it at all. These classes had a lot of athletes (not just football and basketball players), around 50%, but academic advisors for athletes always push them into cryp courses. As others have said, they have to, almost all of them would all fail out otherwise. But these classes were open to the entire student body. I actually took a lot of them myself.
    Last edited by MarcusPaige; 03-27-14 at 11:59 PM.

Cuse0323

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusPaige View Post
    This story is two years old in North Carolina, but for some reason it's snowballing with the national media now. Haven't heard of any other major athletic programs criticizing UNC though, because those who live in glass houses do not throw stones.
    Happens all the time around this time of the year. Syracuse always had our dirty laundry aired out right around selection Sunday even if it was fabricated.

jnanayoga

I agree to a point. It depends on the student, and depends on the school. The person who wrote that paper featured in the article obviously didn't give a rat's ass. At the same time it's clear to me that more effort from that individual would have been very unlikely to produce passing grades at top tier schools(assuming they are held to the same standard as other students). The problem comes in where you have students for whom school was never a priority and they suddenly find themselves in classroom at Duke. There is no easy solution to that one.
    In most classes, particularly the large ones, grades are given on a distribution so that something like 18% get As, 25% get Bs and on down the line, so that a percentage of the class is going to fail. This competition is created intentionally and gives the grades meaning. The student who wrote that paper is going to find themselves at the bottom of that distribution 9 times out 10.

trevor123698
    trevor123698's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 467

Quote Originally Posted by cuse0323 View Post
    looks like solid work to me, right to the point. Instead of three pages of nonsense and filler.

lmfao

trevor123698

ETA: For there to be an NCAA violation, there has to be proof that whatever academic fraud may have occurred actually originated in the athletic department. This was a rogue professor in the African American studies department who presumably knew he was hooking up athletes, but there is no evidence the athletic department put him up to it at all. These classes had a lot of athletes (not just football and basketball players), around 50%, but academic advisors for athletes always push them into cryp courses. As others have said, they have to, almost all of them would all fail out otherwise. But these classes were open to the entire student body. I actually took a lot of them myself.

rogue professor? are you a lunatic. did you happen to mean freemason?

MarcusPaige
    MarcusPaige's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 986

There is substantial doubt as to whether the alleged paper is even genuine as AFAM 41 has not been taught at UNC for at least 6 years. Even if it is real, this bitch who has a known axe to grind with UNC obviously held on to it as the most egregious example she could show the world for a long, long time before this scandal broke.

trevor123698

There is substantial doubt as to whether the alleged paper is even genuine as AFAM 41 has not been taught at UNC for at least 6 years. Even if it is real, this bitch who has a known axe to grind with UNC obviously held on to it as the most egregious example she could show the world for a long, long time before this scandal broke.

stop lying

TheCentaur
    TheCentaur's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 68

This is bullshit, I played college athletics and still got good grades. Might be very difficult to get a 4.0 with the time contraints because of practicing and travel but it takes minimal effort to keep a B average as long as you're not an idiot

jnanayoga

Quote Originally Posted by TheCentaur View Post
    This is bullshit, I played college athletics and still got good grades. Might be very difficult to get a 4.0 with the time constraints because of practicing and travel but it takes minimal effort to keep a B average as long as you're not an idiot
    For a lot of student athletes it is not bullshit. Depends where you go to school and who you are competing with. I've taken classes at a university with 70% acceptance rate and I have taken classes at a top 20 university. I promise you the difference is VAST. Minimal effort and B do not belong in the same sentence when considering the top tier schools regardless of the student's ability.