EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Astros Future 1-2 Pitching Punch ....

http://climbingtalshill.com/2014/03/...ely-get-boost/

I grew up in Houston, so although I am also a Pirates fan, the Astros have been my boyhood team so even though they suck something awful currently - I keep up with them.

Good read here for any 'Stros fans (Ode to Willie Bee). Story says Houston is strongly considering NC State lefty Carlos Rodon with the #1 pick this year. He would add to Mark Appel as a potential ace duo for a decade. If you saw either guy pitch in college, both are absolute studs. Both were workhorses for their college clubs. Obviously college success does not always equal pro success ... but this is about the most excitement Houston fans have when the pro club is gonna lose 100+ again.

I think they are doing it right with the guys they have drafted so far. Might be 3-4 years before they are legit, but it looks good on the farm.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: TheAntFather

TheAntFather
    Enlightenment
    TheAntFather's Avatar Become A Pro!

I'm also excited about this.

broadway6
    on to the next one
    broadway6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1338

Houston has the the Cardinals' architect as it's GM.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: TheAntFather

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think their new owner has done everything right. Getting McLane to sell the team was the biggest obstacle. He wasn't as big a hinderance as say Jerry Jones is too Dallas' success in the NFL, but he was also more in the business side of it and made a killing on the Astros, but let them slip from Championship caliber to shit in the span of a few years after 2005. Basically, bad hiring. Ed Wade as GM was one of the worst organizational hires for the franchise and he got fleeced on so many deals it wasn't even funny.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

Appel is getting lit up in the low minors this year. looking like a huge bust

so glad the bucs didn't sign him the year before....

Gave up 13 hits and 7ER in 4.1 IP for A ball Lancaster a couple nights ago and his YTD stats now look like this after 10 games:

9.57 ERA 36.2IP 62H 39ER 10BB 31K .376BAA

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 408

He never got his arm ready in spring training due to an appendectomy. He's also trying to convert from a seven day rotation in college to a four day rotation in the Astros tandem starter system.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21665

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    Appel is getting lit up in the low minors this year. looking like a huge bust

so glad the bucs didn't sign him the year before....

Gave up 13 hits and 7ER in 4.1 IP for A ball Lancaster a couple nights ago and his YTD stats now look like this after 10 games:

9.57 ERA 36.2IP 62H 39ER 10BB 31K .376BAA
    He was so dominant in college too. Pitching is so unpredictable.

TheAntFather
    Enlightenment

Quote Originally Posted by broadway6 View Post
    Houston has the the Cardinals' architect as it's GM.

This is what I'm excited about as an Astros fan. He is the other GM I have the most respect for besides Gerry Hunsicker.

TheAntFather
    Enlightenment

Well, former GM. After Moron Mclane fired him after the 2005 WS; he went on and made Tampa Bay a powerhouse as their GM.

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2380

How is Appel going these days?

Mr KLC
    Mr KLC's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 408

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    How is Appel going these days?
    He's a walking machine right now. He has the 4th best ERA of their AA team's starting rotation.