stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32775

What is Shaka Smart thinking?

His VCU team totally dominated Fordham in the second half, which is a good thing, because I laid the points, VCU is up 22 with six and change left on the clock, and he continues to play run and gun, run the ball up, get it into the the front court in seven seconds, and put up a shot within the next four seconds, and he's been running his offense like that for the last three, almost four minutes.

Now I am no hoops Einstein, but don't you think you would want to limit Fordham's possessions, and you know, take like 19 to 23 seconds off the shot clock?

What am I missing here?

BennyBigNuts
    BennyBigNuts's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1078

I don't disagree with this.
    After watching hundreds of NFL games being blown playing safe by teams in second halves, I think it's best to play your own game as much as possible and not change anything up, especially if what you're doing is working.
    If you're dominating a team why change your game plan?
    Of course coming down to the final 2 or 3 minutes is ok, but I am definitely not a fan of stalling out with the ball and ruining the groove of the offense.
    The Spurs do this a lot in the NBA and it becomes a Tony PArker dribble fest and the offense becomes stagnant and they struggle to get those late buckets in close games.
    You are worried about points laid in a wager, Shaka is not.
    He's preparing his team for the big tourney, and focusing on winning games and getting the best results out of his team.

billysink
    billysink's Avatar Become A Pro!

free slices for 90 points with purchase of a medium pepsi cola

came up shy

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by billysink View Post
    free slices for 90 points with purchase of a medium pepsi cola

came up shy
    Is that a fact?

billysink
    billysink's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    Is that a fact?

shit I don't know Nasher. Was just agreeing with you. Kids was playing like they had a rash.

Nasher Northridge looks not bad a bit later. Still 3.5

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

New age mindset, never wants to let up. I like stall ball myself as the percentages are better for a victory but when you're VCU playing Fordham, it doesn't matter much.

jtoler
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6325

He's simply preparing for what's ahead, that little thing called the tourney ya know. How can you question him when he's been doing this for a while now with good results.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't think you even think about slowing up until you get inside the last TV timeout. 20 points is a lot, but 6:00 is a lot of time. Teams make up double digit deficits in no time at all - I don't see a problem.

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    He's simply preparing for what's ahead, that little thing called the tourney ya know. How can you question him when he's been doing this for a while now with good results.
    I like Smart, a lot, my question is simple though, remember I am facts and figures guy, the less possesions you give the oppostion, the less chances they can score, so why risk going on a 2 for 11 drought in, say 2 minutes in change, when you can give them four possessions in the same time instead of 11.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

I like Smart, a lot, my question is simple though, remember I am facts and figures guy, the less possesions you give the oppostion, the less chances they can score, so why risk going on a 2 for 11 drought in, say 2 minutes in change, when you can give them four possessions in the same time instead of 11.
    Because that's not the natural style of the kids or their offense. So technically speaking, if they "slow it down," you could argue they'd be playing not to lose -- a recipe for disaster on the road. And like others have pointed out, he's preparing for other opponents/situations despite the score. Doesn't want to get used to taking his foot off the gas and going conservative to try and preserve a win.

Now whether or not that works regardless of opponent is up for debate, along with if a team can only win one way and not grind out a victory when necessary. It's kind of like a no-huddle offense that can't play ball control ever. You really think that sort of team is destined for success when it matters most?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by billysink View Post

shit I don't know Nasher. Was just agreeing with you. Kids was playing like they had a rash.

Nasher Northridge looks not bad a bit later. Still 3.5
    Sinker quietly nails another one when no one's looking or paying attention. LOL.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

We play hard!

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Quote Originally Posted by tony_come View Post
    We play hard!
    You play we pay

jtoler

Because thats the way they play. They were in no way going to lose up 22 with 6 minutes left, that doesnt happen in college anyway, but thats their style, they are going to play frantic and their just gearing up for the tourney where they really turn it on, thats how they are successful, if they didnt play that way with the talent they have theyed be middle of the pack at best.

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    You play we pay
    We r winning

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Quote Originally Posted by tony_come View Post
    We r winning
    Come back soon

stevenash

Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Because thats the way they play. They were in no way going to lose up 22 with 6 minutes left,
    VCU in the first half played a much slower pace, almost half court.

BigDeem5
    2013-2016 NBA: 461-378-24 +52.65u
    BigDeem5's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2158

Nasher, Smart doesn't care about regular season games. He is getting his kids tournament ready.

If they are up by 3 or 23 they're going to play fast pace "havoc", he wants 100% intensity the whole game, that's what makes VCU scary. They can run a team out of a gym in 20 minutes.

It's all about the big picture, beating Fordham is nice but he has a larger goal in mind

jtoler

VCU in the first half played a much slower pace, almost half court.
    I saw, and saw it was basically tied at halftime but you know thats not how they play and not how they want to play. Like I said if they dont play frantically they are average at best.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

PLay how you play