1. #1
    James D
    James D's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-03-13
    Posts: 2,049
    Betpoints: 960

    Jason Collins going to wear #98 for the NJ Nets and it's a poor decision

    Jason Collins signed a 10 day contract with the NJ Nets and has chosen to wear number 98 in honor of a gay youth named Matthew Shepard that was killed in a horrible hate crime 1998. Since JC declared he was a gay american he has repeatedly stated he wants to be judged in the NBA by his play on the court. He also stated he did not want his sexuality be a distraction to himself or his team. So why would he choose 98? A number worn by two other players in the history of the ABA/NBA and one of those was in 1947? This adds one more layer of potential questions to be asked of him, which since he is a smart guy he will answer correctly. It will also add to the potentially explosive topics asked every day of his teammates who most I am sure have never heard of Matthew Shepard. Every NJ Net, including the head coach except Pierce and Garnett were under 17 when Matthew Shepard was killed. Most have never heard of Mathew Shepard. Now every player will be asked repeatedly another list of questions that if answered incorrectly can cause anywhere between a minor media flare up and a nuclear explosion. Jason is a marginally talented NBA journeyman . By all accounts he is a good citizen and a body, the Nets are extremely short of big men so they gave him a 10 day contract. This initial decision is a poor one. He is exposing the NJ Nets, the only team willing to give him a chance this year to another army of potential problems.

    This is the same problem Michael Sam is facing. I think he will drop in the draft some not because NFL GMs care that he is gay. The locker room is only a small part of the potential complications his new team faces. He will drop because these GMs fear the multitude of questions every player on the roster will face virtually every day. All it takes is one of the less then enlightened players to say the wrong thing and the entire team is in a national story that has nothing to do with the 2914 NFL season.


    Like I said bad move by Jason Collins I hope it doesn't hurt the team. If I had to guess I would say at least a minor negative story will come out of his jersey choice at some point.

  2. #2
    Chi_archie
    Ghost
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 07-22-08
    Posts: 46,235
    Betpoints: 52

    won't take his warmups off too much to expose that number anyways

  3. #3
    JJJ
    JJJ's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-03-11
    Posts: 2,382
    Betpoints: 12

    is anyone else tired of this gay talk just tired of it

  4. #4
    crackerjack
    crackerjack's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 08-01-06
    Posts: 3,328
    Betpoints: 1102

    Who is Jason Collins?

  5. #5
    Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-12-08
    Posts: 29,816
    Betpoints: 3234

    Quote Originally Posted by crackerjack View Post
    Who is Jason Collins?
    Homosexual that wants the world so badly to know he is a homo.

  6. #6
    Smoke
    Daggles?
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 10-09-09
    Posts: 49,026
    Betpoints: 576

    Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    is anyone else tired of this gay talk just tired of it
    This is like christmas for inthestink

  7. #7
    Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-01-10
    Posts: 16,040
    Betpoints: 12

    It's just a bad move because you don't like polesmokers...get over it already...there not going away so you might as well accept it and find something else to worry about

  8. #8
    James D
    James D's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-03-13
    Posts: 2,049
    Betpoints: 960

    Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    won't take his warmups off too much to expose that number anyways

    LOL well said.
    Guy is the ultimate journeyman big body with limited skills. He has averages less then 50 points a year since 2007! I know the guy can defend but he isn't rodman in his prime for Christ sake. He is just a seven footer who is now 35 years old who averages less then 2 rebounds a game.

    First game today he played , got a standing ovation

    Played 4 minutes
    0 points
    1 rebound
    1 steal
    2 fouls committed

  9. #9
    James D
    James D's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-03-13
    Posts: 2,049
    Betpoints: 960

    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
    It's just a bad move because you don't like polesmokers...get over it already...there not going away so you might as well accept it and find something else to worry about

    You must be kidding, I do not care at all if someone is gay. Less competition for me out there LOL. Obviously you know nothing about me or you would not have made this simplistic uniformed comment. I do think if someone says they only want their play on the court to be an issue that 98 is a peculiar choice for his number.

  10. #10
    thunderous
    Update your status
    thunderous's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 06-05-12
    Posts: 1,872
    Betpoints: 5557

    Quote Originally Posted by James D View Post
    You must be kidding, I do not care at all if someone is gay. Less competition for me out there LOL. Obviously you know nothing about me or you would not have made this simplistic uniformed comment. I do think if someone says they only want their play on the court to be an issue that 98 is a peculiar choice for his number.
    sure you do....aren't you the guy who started a thread that Michael Sam will go undrated or whatever?

  11. #11
    jtoler
    Update your status
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-17-13
    Posts: 16,972
    Betpoints: 380

    Theyve been pushing the gay agenda in our face for a while now, its all strategic, sick world this is. Its bigger than Sam and Collins they are only pawns.
    Last edited by jtoler; 02-23-14 at 09:57 PM.

  12. #12
    jjgold
    Update your status
    jjgold's Avatar Saloon Moderator
    Join Date: 07-20-05
    Posts: 261,968
    Betpoints: 3108

    This whole thing is kind of sad I don't know what anyone is trying to do it seems it's all political

    Bald
    & Proud
    of Myself -jjgold

    SBR Founder Join Date: 7/20/2005


  13. #13
    KRIT
    KRIT's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-11-14
    Posts: 8,619
    Betpoints: 7869

    How is his post defense?

  14. #14
    jjgold
    Update your status
    jjgold's Avatar Saloon Moderator
    Join Date: 07-20-05
    Posts: 261,968
    Betpoints: 3108

    I do not think the guys is a bad player maybe he can help the Nets

    It is just strange timing

    Bald
    & Proud
    of Myself -jjgold

    SBR Founder Join Date: 7/20/2005


  15. #15
    Tmuston Beltics
    Tmuston Beltics's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-14-13
    Posts: 1,214
    Betpoints: 102

    They(NBA) want to show they accept homos to get them on their side(buy their product). Since there's so many homos around these days, it's a gold mine. Oh and he should wear #69.

  16. #16
    Tmuston Beltics
    Tmuston Beltics's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-14-13
    Posts: 1,214
    Betpoints: 102

    Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    I do not think the guys is a bad player maybe he can blow the Nets

  17. #17
    smitch124
    smitch124's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 05-19-08
    Posts: 12,303
    Betpoints: 4918

    Quote Originally Posted by KRIT View Post
    How is his post defense?
    He can guard a post, but that's about it.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: seaborneq

  18. #18
    James D
    James D's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-03-13
    Posts: 2,049
    Betpoints: 960

    Quote Originally Posted by thunderous View Post
    sure you do....aren't you the guy who started a thread that Michael Sam will go undrated or whatever?
    Um no spazz that wasn't me. I never even posted in that thread because unlike the majority of posters on SBR, you included, I don't post something if I have zero clue what I am taking about. I have no clue when he will be drafted but I think it will happen.

  19. #19
    James D
    James D's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-03-13
    Posts: 2,049
    Betpoints: 960

    Quote Originally Posted by smitch124 View Post
    He can guard a post, but that's about it.
    He must be a very very good post defender. He is 35 and since 2007 grabs 2 rebounds and scores 1 point a game so if he doesn't defend extremely well signing him would be ridiculous.

  20. #20
    jtoler
    Update your status
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-17-13
    Posts: 16,972
    Betpoints: 380

    Quote Originally Posted by James D View Post
    He must be a very very good post defender. He is 35 and since 2007 grabs 2 rebounds and scores 1 point a game so if he doesn't defend extremely well signing him would be ridiculous.
    His basketball playing ability is irrelevant, its part of an agenda, he sucks, no reason for the Nets or anybody to sign him thats the point, so why is he being signed to a meaningless 10 day contract at this exact time. Lol.

  21. #21
    Gonz312
    Keep It Simple Stupid
    Gonz312's Avatar SBR PRO
    Join Date: 01-22-11
    Posts: 1,414
    Betpoints: 2796

    Does it matter? The guy at the end of the bench is always worthless. He was a net for years, its just a franchise paying on of theirs back and throwing him a bone. If he came out at 28, he would of had a job already. Wilt ****** anything that walked, open fact and i dont see people hating on his nympho bisexual past.

  22. #22
    James D
    James D's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-03-13
    Posts: 2,049
    Betpoints: 960

    ^^^^^^^^^^
    people always said magic and Isaiah Thomas as well. Never bothered me, both great players.



    Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    His basketball playing ability is irrelevant, its part of an agenda, he sucks, no reason for the Nets or anybody to sign him thats the point, so why is he being signed to a meaningless 10 day contract at this exact time. Lol.
    Well it's not meaningless to the nets they are playing much better of late and in the weak east anything can happen. Also they have very very little size, with Lopez out for year they have no seven footers and only three players over 6'9. One is a rookie and another is an 18 year vet, so they are very very thin when it comes to size. I don't think getting JC and his 7 foot frame is a bad idea if he has something left in the tank. Like I said in my original post everyone says he is a good citizen and it's only a 10 day contract. I just think he is going to get enough extraneous attention being who he is and wearing number 98 only amplifies that. More importantly it contradicts with his own statements about wanting to not be a distraction and to just want his play on the court to be the story.

  23. #23
    jtoler
    Update your status
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-17-13
    Posts: 16,972
    Betpoints: 380

    Quote Originally Posted by James D View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^
    people always said magic and Isaiah Thomas as well. Never bothered me, both great players.





    Well it's not meaningless to the nets they are playing much better of late and in the weak east anything can happen. Also they have very very little size, with Lopez out for year they have no seven footers and only three players over 6'9. One is a rookie and another is an 18 year vet, so they are very very thin when it comes to size. I don't think getting JC and his 7 foot frame is a bad idea if he has something left in the tank. Like I said in my original post everyone says he is a good citizen and it's only a 10 day contract. I just think he is going to get enough extraneous attention being who he is and wearing number 98 only amplifies that. More importantly it contradicts with his own statements about wanting to not be a distraction and to just want his play on the court to be the story.
    No offense but you must be very young and not follow politics, has nothing to do with "helping" the Nets. Quit with that thinking already.

  24. #24
    James D
    James D's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-03-13
    Posts: 2,049
    Betpoints: 960

    Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    No offense but you must be very young and not follow politics, has nothing to do with "helping" the Nets. Quit with that thinking already.
    Very young and not follow politics? How old is young?

  25. #25
    jtoler
    Update your status
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-17-13
    Posts: 16,972
    Betpoints: 380

    Quote Originally Posted by James D View Post
    Very young and not follow politics? How old is young?
    Well that wasnt the best statement by me, its all relative, you could be old and not have a clue, but trust me, the signing is all political. They didnt sign him because they thought he could help them, a little common sense would tell someone that.

  26. #26
    BetterBizness
    My chicks!
    BetterBizness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-20-06
    Posts: 5,618
    Betpoints: 234

    This is like those forums coach makes about a future hall of famer and we laugh at it 5 years later..

    We'll all move on.. even the level of the reaction from this thread is miniscule at best for a classic hater forum...

  27. #27
    paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-07-09
    Posts: 61,337
    Betpoints: 523

    11 mins. 0 points. 2 Reb. 5 fouls.

    Savin Lives
    Like a Fuggin
    BOSS 2/13/2016


  28. #28
    BetterBizness
    My chicks!
    BetterBizness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-20-06
    Posts: 5,618
    Betpoints: 234

    Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Well that wasnt the best statement by me, its all relative, you could be old and not have a clue, but trust me, the signing is all political. They didnt sign him because they thought he could help them, a little common sense would tell someone that.
    Dude he worked out for the nets 3x... they signed him because they have nothing in the post... like NOTHING... hes a 7 footer who can at least cause a little havek... that's it... the end... funny Hair Lopez is out and it's hard to replace a big donkey in the middle without at least some other big donkey to stand there and put his hand up... that's more the reality that what you're saying..

  29. #29
    BetterBizness
    My chicks!
    BetterBizness's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-20-06
    Posts: 5,618
    Betpoints: 234

    Wait until they play the Clip or the Rockets... he will have 6 fouls... At least he is a 7 footer...

    I hope the raptors do well, this is a big blip on the screen in the east... Personally I cheer for the old guys though, I hope he makes it through his 10 days...

    Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    11 mins. 0 points. 2 Reb. 5 fouls.

  30. #30
    jtoler
    Update your status
    jtoler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 12-17-13
    Posts: 16,972
    Betpoints: 380

    Quote Originally Posted by BetterBizness View Post
    Dude he worked out for the nets 3x... they signed him because they have nothing in the post... like NOTHING... hes a 7 footer who can at least cause a little havek... that's it... the end... funny Hair Lopez is out and it's hard to replace a big donkey in the middle without at least some other big donkey to stand there and put his hand up... that's more the reality that what you're saying..
    Riiight, because there are no other players at least 6'10 in basketball who are even slightly better than him. Sure its all because of his basketball talent and has nothing to do with him being gay, yea ok, what else ya got to sell.

  31. #31
    James D
    James D's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-03-13
    Posts: 2,049
    Betpoints: 960

    Quote Originally Posted by jtoler View Post
    Well that wasnt the best statement by me, its all relative, you could be old and not have a clue, but trust me, the signing is all political. They didnt sign him because they thought he could help them, a little common sense would tell someone that.

    I was not offended at all by your statement. However in respect to my life you couldn't be more off base.

    I am almost 50 and have voted in every presidential election in America since Ronald Reagen. I am sure my political knowledge is greater then over 95% of my countrymen. You say the signing of JC is all political, I won't bother debating the basketball details I am curious to how you think these political deals are struck. The owner of the nets is worth 13 billion dollars, is a Russian citizen, a communist, and still lives in Moscow. Russia is an extremely anti gay country, homosexuality was a crime in Russia until 1993 ! Gays have very few rights or allies in Russia and in that entire part of the world. Even people that hate Russia and communism from that part of the world dislike gay people. Just a few weeks ago Lech Walesa the former leader of Poland who was crucial in Polands break from communism and the USSR made some very anti gay statements. He then not only refused to apologize he said the vast majority of Polands citizens feel the same way he does. He is correct in that statement, Polands citizens consistently vote against against gay rights legislation.

    Ok sorry I went off on a tangent there. So the owner of the Nets is a Russian worth 13 billion dollars, he lives in Russia and most his business interests are in Russia, he even ran for president there and founded a fairly significant political party in russia. . What does he gain by pushing the gay agenda? Also how do people convince him to sign this player? What possible benefits do you think he is being promised? How can the gay rights people get a Russian oligarch to play ball? You say I don't have a clue and to trust you, so enlighten me, how do the gay rights people, which are really only significant in America by the way, get this guy to yield to their demands?

  32. #32
    James D
    James D's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 01-03-13
    Posts: 2,049
    Betpoints: 960

    Quote Originally Posted by paco View Post
    11 mins. 0 points. 2 Reb. 5 fouls.
    Funny thing is espn showed his highlights, and were very selective as to what they showed.

    They showed a screen he set resulting in a jump shot made by a teammate. Both his rebounds, even one in slow motion LOL, the single foul he drew, and his steal. They did not show ​or mention a single negative stat. He missed a shot, had two turnovers and five fouls. Not a single one of these negatives were mentioned but every positive contribution even the ones as insignificant as setting a screen was shown and discussed.

  33. #33
    tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 03-31-10
    Posts: 19,970
    Betpoints: 1021

    Jason Collins is irrelevant

  34. #34
    frugalgambler
    frugalgambler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-30-13
    Posts: 3,407
    Betpoints: 3782

    Quote Originally Posted by James D View Post
    I was not offended at all by your statement. However in respect to my life you couldn't be more off base.

    I am almost 50 and have voted in every presidential election in America since Ronald Reagen. I am sure my political knowledge is greater then over 95% of my countrymen. You say the signing of JC is all political, I won't bother debating the basketball details I am curious to how you think these political deals are struck. The owner of the nets is worth 13 billion dollars, is a Russian citizen, a communist, and still lives in Moscow. Russia is an extremely anti gay country, homosexuality was a crime in Russia until 1993 ! Gays have very few rights or allies in Russia and in that entire part of the world. Even people that hate Russia and communism from that part of the world dislike gay people. Just a few weeks ago Lech Walesa the former leader of Poland who was crucial in Polands break from communism and the USSR made some very anti gay statements. He then not only refused to apologize he said the vast majority of Polands citizens feel the same way he does. He is correct in that statement, Polands citizens consistently vote against against gay rights legislation.

    Ok sorry I went off on a tangent there. So the owner of the Nets is a Russian worth 13 billion dollars, he lives in Russia and most his business interests are in Russia, he even ran for president there and founded a fairly significant political party in russia. . What does he gain by pushing the gay agenda? Also how do people convince him to sign this player? What possible benefits do you think he is being promised? How can the gay rights people get a Russian oligarch to play ball? You say I don't have a clue and to trust you, so enlighten me, how do the gay rights people, which are really only significant in America by the way, get this guy to yield to their demands?

    Let me weigh on this since the above rant is full of the BS that is being pushed by the Western mass media. Fact: most people in the world do not consider that being gay is a normal thing. I personally do not care as long it is not being pushed in my face. Fact: All countries considered buggery to be an illegal activity until about 30-40 years ago. Russia was not that far behind in legalizing it. Fact: gays have all the same rights as regular folks in Russia, except they are not allowed to engage in a pro-gay propaganda, e.g. gay parades, and they are not allowed to adopt children (and for a good reason too). Fact: had the same law been put to a vote in the States, with an open discussion prior to the vote and without constant mass media brainwashing, it would have passed with flying colors. And here is the funniest fact: the slimy Russian f.ck who owns the Nets is pretty much assumed be gay in Russia.

    Jason Collins has no business to be in the NBA, by the way.

  35. #35
    paco
    paco's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Join Date: 05-07-09
    Posts: 61,337
    Betpoints: 523

    James, that's Espn for u lol. The media is so dead on to making gay's the new hip thing. Stop shoving it in our face already. U gay, ok whatever, no they want everyone to be gay with them

    Savin Lives
    Like a Fuggin
    BOSS 2/13/2016


12 Last
Top