Bluehorseshoe
    Bluehorseshoe's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1557

Giants fans win $40K on Broncos' safety

Super Bowl 2014: Giants fans win $40K on Broncos' safety after winning same bet two years ago
    Print
    Charles Curtis/NJ.com By Charles Curtis/NJ.com
    Follow on Twitter
    on February 04, 2014 at 10:42 AM, updated February 04, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Two years ago, New York City resident and Giants fan Jona Rechnitz bet $1,000 the first score of Big Blue's eventual Super Bowl win over the Patriots would be a safety. When the Giants' defense forced Pats QB Tom Brady into intentional grounding in the end zone, Rechnitz walked away with $50,000 and said he'd donate it to charity.

This past Sunday, he decided to let it ride and make the bet again (this time for $500) on the Broncos and Seahawks Super Bowl. Business partner Ari Schwebel decided to jump in with his own bet for $300. Of course, you know the rest: The first play from scrimmage of the Super Bowl at MetLife Stadium was the botched Broncos snap that led to a safety.

Schwebel, who works at real estate investment firm JSR Capital with Rechnitz, told NJ.com he was at the game, watched the ball sail past Denver QB Peyton Manning and had one thought: "I hope it's not a touchdown." When running back Knowshon Moreno pounced on the football, Rechnitz sent Schwebel a photo of the winning ticket from Las Vegas, which Schwebel posted to his Instagram account.

Schwebel won $15,000, while Rechnitz netted $25,000 -- Rechnitz said he'll donate his winnings to the Simon Wiesenthal Center and the Stewart J. Rahr Foundation. "Stewart has dedicated his self-made fortune to changing people's lives and helping others. I know in his hands, it'll go to the right people," Rechnitz said.

Schwebel is still figuring out where he's going to donate his cash. "I don't know who or what [charity], but that is my goal," he said, noting he's doing well enough in business to afford it. "Thank God the real estate market is up. ... It would be nice to give back."

Rechnitz had a different take. "I don't believe this is how you should be making your money. I just do it for fun," he told NJ.com

It could have been an even bigger haul. Schwebel said the pair was considering putting money on a blowout victory for Seattle by 25 or more points. "We were like, 'That's never going to happen, that's crazy!'"

You know what's even crazier? Winning big on two first-score safeties in the Super Bowl.

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2..._river_default

Kermit
    My Finger Smells Like Pork
    Kermit's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2611

If they played a grand on a long shot scoring prop, you have to wonder what their "real bets" were.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

That shit cray

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Throwing money around, nothing to see here.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Unreal.

R.P. McMurphy
    Update your status
    R.P. McMurphy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 175

Most of us bust our asses and would love to make 10% of that in one year grinding. And these fukksticks do this on a long shot prop then donate it to some b.s. charity where like most 90% of the proceeds will never actually help those in need

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorseshoe View Post

Rechnitz said he'll donate his winnings to the Simon Wiesenthal Center and the Stewart J. Rahr Foundation.