vtharpejr4
    vtharpejr4's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 48

Basic Information

I am just starting out and would like to hear some of your tips and basic steps to get started on betting and being successful at it. I would appreciate any helpful information that will get me heading in the right direction.

boeing power
    boeing power's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 56

newguy
    [Too Long]
    newguy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9858

Great advice there. Assuming a board won't talk you out of walking away now, just remember how much you are wagering today and how much money that is to your overall financial well being. Don't let that ratio get out of whack. Too many guys here bet on a single game more than they bring home in a week.

Easy-Rider 66
    Easy-Rider 66's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3165

Wager Points here at the SBR Book. Refrain from wagering $$. GL.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

before i can give you advice i need to know who i'm talking to

how old are you?

r u satisfied with your current job and income?

how much do you love sports? how many hours a week do you devote into watching / studying sports ?

Do you already have a lot of hobbies or are you bored with life?

If you are currently a wealthy, happy , and busy person i would say walk away now and dont ever look back.

if you are looking to fill a void and you are hungry then i got plenty of advice for you...

Vegas39
    Vegas39's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 214

whatever you do avoid advice from the loser bigbear
    Points Awarded:

JMon gave Vegas39 1 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jarvol
    jarvol's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3670

Fade the clowns on here.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Quote Originally Posted by vtharpejr4 View Post
    I am just starting out and would like to hear some of your tips and basic steps to get started on betting and being successful at it. I would appreciate any helpful information that will get me heading in the right direction.
    Don't listen to jj Gold....or give BIGDAY your Rooster size

ramones951
    ramones951's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 891

If you lose a wager, double your bet size next time. Continue to double until you win. You can't lose them all so if you follow this simple system it's nearly guaranteed you'll come out on top.

bostonboss
    bostonboss's Avatar Become A Pro!

manage your bankroll and watch the games/study the numbers...avoid games that look too good to be true.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

bet what you can afford to lose.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Find a lucky coin and flip it

redking
    redking's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2734

Track your picks easily using Microsoft Word or a random blog online. Write down your thoughts on each game and why you picked it and then go back and review.

Full Time Hobo
    In a Box
    Full Time Hobo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3676

Use a free betting site or the sbr book here.
    When you get the hang of what you're doing start playing with real money.
    Don't tail anyone.
    Do your own research.

747planes
    [Too Long]
    747planes's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 334

Read the money management articles at bettingresource

SteveKerrsJunk
    SteveKerrsJunk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 134

Smoke Meth instead.

NutleyCrew
    NutleyCrew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

My humble advice, after playing seriously for 35 years.

- accept in very rare cases, never hook up games in parlays or reverses. And definitely never more than two teams. avoid losing first; then earn. For example, in a two team parlay both teams win or you lose. Play them separately and there are three possible outcomes: win both, split, lose both. 2 of the three do not hurt you other than juice. Live to play another day.

I will occasionally hook up a straight If Win Only Play, (with house money) where the lead play is strong and at about -110, with the if win only play being a baseball -1.5 run line or a hockey -1.5 goals where you can get up to +255 money. Example - Friday night, (Lakers +4 to win 1000 if win only then Phoenix Coyotes -1.5 goals risking 1000 +235 money......this win will pay 3350 while risking only 1100.

- Never, ever hook up a side & a total in the same game. To many things need to go right.

- Be prepared to pay. Be more cautious of chasing money than paying your negative number. If you can't do this, don't play.

- Do not send in plays that you have no reason to believe will win other than hope. In my experience, winning comes from seeing situations develop that you have seen happen many times before. How obvious was it that Golden St/Phoenix was going to go over last night? We were being begged to take the books money as they were naked on this one. A total of 227.5 couldn't be set; yet that's about what it should have been. Books are left naked like this often; you need to develop a keen eye in finding it.

- Consider stopping early in the week when up and getting paid. The week before last I hit for 6550 on a Monday, on the -1.5 goal line scenarios mentioned above. I simply stopped playing for the rest of the week. Sure it was temping to go for the throat - but collecting 6550 was sweet. Your guy will hate this but it's cold and hard out there. No room for sniffles in this business.

- Be prepares to grind it out, if you can set yourself up with a number of books to use - you can simply find odds where if you play both sides you will either push or win a smaller amount. I've seen guys sit in wire rooms all day looking for outs that provide this possibility.

- Know two things - "money won is twice as sweet as money earned." - Fast Eddie Felson, and, you're taking on a major life risk if you dive into this. Even successful players over time see relationships form in ways that non players don't experience. Think long and hard before starting and if you decide to continue, Good Luck to you.

This is far from everything you need to know, but I hope that is at least somewhat helpful.

deepblue
    deepblue's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12

Quote Originally Posted by ramones951 View Post
    If you lose a wager, double your bet size next time. Continue to double until you win. You can't lose them all so if you follow this simple system it's nearly guaranteed you'll come out on top.
    Sarcasm?

floridagolfer
    floridagolfer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12339

I would echo the advice of others that have already said it: If you haven't started, don't.

But, if you do it, obey the cardinal rule that is NEVER, EVER to be broken: Don't risk anything you can't afford to lose.

I don't care how many games you watch, how many articles you read, how many stats you find, how many hours you study, accept the fact that, sometimes, none of this is going to make any sense at all. The worst team in the league is not only going to beat the best but do it handily. A pitcher with an ERA of 0.whatever is going to get rocked and not make it out of the second inning. Tiger Woods is going to lose to a guy you've never heard of, yada, yada . . . Don't look for the secret because there isn't one.

JMon
    I'd be a lot cooler if you did.
    JMon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10742

1. -110 breakeven is 52.38%
    2. understand you can win hitting less than 52.38%
    3. don't bet parlays
    4. bet 2-4% of your bankroll per game
    5. don't bet when your fukked up.
    6. don't chase a bad beat or bad day.
    7. learn how to handicap your own bets.
    8. don't be a homer
    9. leave the emotions with the girls
    10. don't start...one big win and your hooked.

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

Didnt Sawyer make a thread a while back about betting tips?? Was pretty good.

chaka
    chaka's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11152

Quote Originally Posted by NutleyCrew View Post
    My humble advice, after playing seriously for 35 years.

- accept in very rare cases, never hook up games in parlays or reverses. And definitely never more than two teams. avoid losing first; then earn. For example, in a two team parlay both teams win or you lose. Play them separately and there are three possible outcomes: win both, split, lose both. 2 of the three do not hurt you other than juice. Live to play another day.

I will occasionally hook up a straight If Win Only Play, (with house money) where the lead play is strong and at about -110, with the if win only play being a baseball -1.5 run line or a hockey -1.5 goals where you can get up to +255 money. Example - Friday night, (Lakers +4 to win 1000 if win only then Phoenix Coyotes -1.5 goals risking 1000 +235 money......this win will pay 3350 while risking only 1100.

- Never, ever hook up a side & a total in the same game. To many things need to go right.

- Be prepared to pay. Be more cautious of chasing money than paying your negative number. If you can't do this, don't play.

- Do not send in plays that you have no reason to believe will win other than hope. In my experience, winning comes from seeing situations develop that you have seen happen many times before. How obvious was it that Golden St/Phoenix was going to go over last night? We were being begged to take the books money as they were naked on this one. A total of 227.5 couldn't be set; yet that's about what it should have been. Books are left naked like this often; you need to develop a keen eye in finding it.

- Consider stopping early in the week when up and getting paid. The week before last I hit for 6550 on a Monday, on the -1.5 goal line scenarios mentioned above. I simply stopped playing for the rest of the week. Sure it was temping to go for the throat - but collecting 6550 was sweet. Your guy will hate this but it's cold and hard out there. No room for sniffles in this business.

- Be prepares to grind it out, if you can set yourself up with a number of books to use - you can simply find odds where if you play both sides you will either push or win a smaller amount. I've seen guys sit in wire rooms all day looking for outs that provide this possibility.

- Know two things - "money won is twice as sweet as money earned." - Fast Eddie Felson, and, you're taking on a major life risk if you dive into this. Even successful players over time see relationships form in ways that non players don't experience. Think long and hard before starting and if you decide to continue, Good Luck to you.

This is far from everything you need to know, but I hope that is at least somewhat helpful.
    disagree with 2 parts- first correlated parlays (ie fav and the over/ dog-under) can be such strong plays they books will not acccept or limit them to spread/total ratios like cfb)
    these actions by the books indicate they are vulnerable to these types of plays

second using an "if wager" laying 1.5 goals in hockey is not a recipe for success..its not only a low scoring sport but also one of the few where overtime can't help. if they give up first goal you need the next 3 to get ahead . thats a big hole when totals are 5-5.5 majority of the time

teams like boston win by 2 25 of 37 games they won or 25 of 47'played. phx won by 2 12x in 48 games
    thats a huge difference and with team like phx your margin of error,is,virtually nil

while it may work for you its terrible advice for a new kid on the block

lastly once youve won...the money is yours it is no longer "house money"..its this mindset that keeps people from going home with money in their pocket
    Last edited by chaka; 02-19-14 at 12:31 AM.

NutleyCrew
    NutleyCrew's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 96

[QUOTE=chaka;21189932]disagree with 2 parts- first correlated parlays (ie fav and the over/ dog-under) can be such strong plays they books will not acccept or limit them to spread/total ratios like cfb)
    these actions by the books indicate they are vulnerable to these types of plays

second using an "if wager" laying 1.5 goals in hockey is not a recipe for success..its not only a low scoring sport but also one of the few where overtime can't help. if they give up first goal you need the next 3 to get ahead . thats a big hole when totals are 5-5.5 majority of the time

teams like boston win by 2 25 of 37 games they won or 25 of 47'played. phx won by 2 12x in 48 games
    thats a huge difference and with team like phx your margin of error,is,virtually nil

while it may work for you its terrible advice for a new kid on the block

"lastly once youve won...the money is yours it is no longer "house money"..its this mindset that keeps people from going home with money in their pocket"

I agree with this but I look at it slightly differently - I'm not playing at a window, so I don't consider $ won until the week ends. So for me, up $6500 on Saturday means I'm playing with house money thru Sunday night or until even - I'm risking what I'm up on the office. And my 1.5 goals/runs is a killer that has raked it in for me. Especially in hockey where many empty net goals puts it over. And I only send these in when up big, and only when protected on the bottom of an if win only. I see your points, but I have had very high success with this play type.

ZNC
    ZNC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 276

Be patient, bet low very very low as you are starting out. Pay attention to the teams you are betting on's scoring history. I would try a small bet hedged by a 3 or 4 tiny bets as you are starting out each day. Never use your ego, don't ever think the bet you're about to make is golden, cuz trust me man, you'll get frustrated and the point is to have fun.

ZNC
    ZNC's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 276

Quote Originally Posted by JMon View Post
    1. -110 breakeven is 52.38%
    2. understand you can win hitting less than 52.38%
    3. don't bet parlays
    4. bet 2-4% of your bankroll per game
    5. don't bet when your fukked up.
    6. don't chase a bad beat or bad day.
    7. learn how to handicap your own bets.
    8. don't be a homer
    9. leave the emotions with the girls
    10. don't start...one big win and your hooked.
    I would also refer you to this individual whom I do not know tips. You will probably bet when you're ****** up. After the first time you do that and lose big, hopefully ya learn your lesson. It's about having fun, if you're trying to make a buck, then you will have to be patient and just get the knowledge first.

SEAHAWKHARRY
    Northern Lights
    SEAHAWKHARRY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2385

Go all in 1st bet

Usually wins!!!!

LoveSosa
    LoveSosa's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 311

Good stuff

inrenokid
    inrenokid's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Chip Reese one of the greatest gamblers of all time would differ with the above affordable guideline, he proclaimed that , you should only gamble with money you cannt afford to lose only! If it don't hurt to lose it don't feel good to win. He most likely had won more money then anyone else gambling, before his death, so bet more and bet it all repeatedly and learn to love the ride.