Rangers901
    Rangers901's Avatar Become A Pro!

Integrity of European Sports

I constantly ask myself to what extent European sports are controlled. I don't want to say 'fixed', because it's a term used too loosely in this day of wagering, and it seems to be used as an excuse to not blame one's self for their poor selection.

I can't even explain how many times I'll have European basketball underdog ML's of +350 or better, and it seems that they play extremely well in the first 2 or 3 quarters. Then, suddenly, come the 2nd half, the refs decide to pull out the whistle's as if it's a bunch of pre-teen girls playing out there. The favourite always seems to get a very high volume of the calls, leading to an abnormal amount of free throws in the second half.

Again, I'm really not the kind of guy to cry fix this, fix that, but, I do notice in a lot of the smaller European league's that the games do seem to be controlled to a certain extent.

Over the last season, I've probably lost over $20,000 of potential profits because of free throws in these smaller leagues. I've still made a decent amount off my investments, but it could be much, much higher.

Just looking for the opinion from people who also wager on or follow these leagues.

superhans
    superhans's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 114

Dont wager on it on, but the lower league football league are rife with it so I can only imagine how basketball would be where the pay is lower, and its out of the spotlight as such

Look out for spanish football 2nd division draw ht, home team ft. Coincidence? Maybe...

cloverfield
    cloverfield's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4727

Happens ALL the time in European Basketball games.
    If the visiting team comes out on fire they somehow end up shooting 12-18 FT's less than the home team in the end.

You will often see a visiting team up 12 points at halftime and then they only score 7-10 points in the 3rd or 4th quarter.
    You can't really just depend on looking for the fix but it does drive you crazy to see some wild ref'in going on.

You will often notice in the higher end European cup games let's say a team won at home by 15 points in the 1st leg...you'll see that same team as a 8-10 point UNDERDOG when they visit the opposing city next time out.

HEAVY HEAVY favoritism to the home teams in Europe

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

This is a rather interesting topic based on your assumptions. Personally I don't wager on Euro basketball however, many people feel you can make some nice money off it it. Maybe other SBR posters can give a better detailed insight to this discussion.

cloverfield
    cloverfield's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4727

WOW.
    Today made me think of this post big time. Tell me if this is not shady.

European Basketball.. Eurocup Competition... one of the larger ones in Europe.

It's the Eurocup Playoffs so they play a game on the road and then a game at home within about 10 days against the same team.

-Valencia won at home by 16.. They go on the road against the same team and lost by 15.. 31 point turnaround..same two teams.
    -Besiktas won at home by 17.. on the road today they lost by 24... 41 point turnaround..same two teams.

Those are just two examples but I'd love to hear how a team has a 41 point turnaround against the same competition 7 days later.
    The same players played for both sides.

European basketball is EXTREMELY slanted to the home team. Some of these games only have 700 people in attendance so it's not like they are playing in front of 30,000 fans and the crowd is turning the tide.

noyb
    noyb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6821

Quote Originally Posted by Rangers901 View Post
    Over the last season, I've probably lost over $20,000 of potential profits because of free throws in these smaller leagues. I've still made a decent amount off my investments, but it could be much, much higher.
    i don't understand. you claim to spot a trend, yet you lose because of it. if you're convinced this is happening, adjust your bets and profit from it.