easyliving
    easyliving's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11

why do teams always foul late in games regardless of score?

I keep seeing this happen Saw a team foul down 5 with 3 seconds yesterday and now I just checked the espn play by play and the bulls fouled down 7 with 4 seconds to go. Yet yesterday Lakers didn't foul the Knicks down 7 with 16 seconds to go.Most of the time these fouls don't directly affect the spread/total but from time to time they do. In college you see it all the time as well. Whether a team is down 10 or 20 with a minute to go it seems like theirs always multiple free throw attempts. Is it a choice by the players or do the coaches tell the players to foul to simply show them that he is not giving up on the game. It would be so much easier to cap games if I knew how coaches would handle these situations.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

In college, it's an effort thing. They're coached to never give up. Coaches are coaching end of game situations all the time, regardless of score.

It's a real pain in the ass.

In the NBA, who fukkin knows. Point Shaving most likely. Goddamn dumpster fire of a league.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

7 point differential is where most teams quit fouling because it is a 3 possession game. Sometimes players don't pay attention to the score and may foul but is not very common. It depends how well coached they are.

TonyTall
    sober 8/18
    TonyTall's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 769

was on tilt a few years ago. went all in on a random like u75 2nd half college game. nobody could hit a thing i was on cloud 9 i couldnt believe it. they had like 20 pts combined at the 10:00 mark. with about 4:00 to go and i had like 30+ pts to spare, one team was up very close to 20 pts. like 18 pts. and the losing coach actually started fouling. it was the worst beat ever and on an all in play i wanted to kill that coach honestly. so of course they never made it closer but they did score like 35 pts in the last 4 minutes and i lost

Booya711
    Big Dikk Energy
    Booya711's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 16121

Quote Originally Posted by easyliving View Post
    I keep seeing this happen Saw a team foul down 5 with 3 seconds yesterday and now I just checked the espn play by play and the bulls fouled down 7 with 4 seconds to go. Yet yesterday Lakers didn't foul the Knicks down 7 with 16 seconds to go.Most of the time these fouls don't directly affect the spread/total but from time to time they do. In college you see it all the time as well. Whether a team is down 10 or 20 with a minute to go it seems like theirs always multiple free throw attempts. Is it a choice by the players or do the coaches tell the players to foul to simply show them that he is not giving up on the game. It would be so much easier to cap games if I knew how coaches would handle these situations.
    it all depends on which team is supposed to cover the number........