Crate Mayne
    Crate Mayne's Avatar Become A Pro!

Underlying thing about this story, his accountant friend needs his license revoked. Who gives advice not to hedge, when their sole job is to look after money? lol I love this story too much

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

Quote Originally Posted by dontknowtohedge View Post
    Guarantee he didn't b/c he's a stupid SOB. He had his dad lay the play, then said there was no value in hedging.
    If true, that's literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life, and this guy deserves to not win one red cent.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

i would've been in vegas during this game and at least hedged during half time.

what a dumb fukk this guy.

Plaza23
    Plaza23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13787

To some people, winning big is more important than winning a little or losing. If $15,000 means nothing to him, and only winning $50,000 would make him happy- then so be it.

PAULYPOKER
    I slipped Tricky Dick a hit of LSD!
    PAULYPOKER's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    If true, that's literally the dumbest thing I've ever heard in my life, and this guy deserves to not win one red cent.
    Exhibit A>
    Quote Originally Posted by Plaza23 View Post
    To some people, winning big is more important than winning a little or losing. If $15,000 means nothing to him, and only winning $50,000 would make him happy- then so be it.

JayLA
    On to the next one...
    JayLA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1219

You cant expect normal people to even understand hedging. Whats fkd up is that u know someone told him and he still didnt. Crash course in risk

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

I completely understand what you're saying if this was to win $1,000 or something. But 50 large off a $100 bet? At least guarantee yourself 10 G's or so, man. That's just sheer stupidity to not guarantee yourself something off a 500:1 bet.

Not 50:1 -- 500:1.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

I completely understand what you're saying if this was to win $1,000 or something. But 50 large off a $100 bet? At least guarantee yourself 10 G's or so, man. That's just sheer stupidity to not guarantee yourself something off a 500:1 bet.

Not 50:1 -- 500:1.
    hell never sniff a position like this in his life ever again, and it sounds like he has some money.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Seriously one of the dumbest things in the history of mankind.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...tle-500-1-odds

So after consulting with his high school buddy, accountant Brian Burnett, who is an Alabama alum, the two made the trip to Las Vegas for the game but decided to let the bet ride.

"I regret nothing," Skiba said after the game. "At the end if the day, I was playing with house money for the last two months. This was not supposed to happen in so many ways. It's the whole experience and the story. That's what I will remember.

"It was a bit of a life changing experience just from the exposure standpoint and tonight it definitely peaked."

This Burnett f\*\*k needs to get his head bashed in.

You can't make up this kind of stupidity.

sk47
    sk47's Avatar Become A Pro!

Dont care what one says....if this story is true he hedged this bet...just on the low

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...tle-500-1-odds

So after consulting with his high school buddy, accountant Brian Burnett, who is an Alabama alum, the two made the trip to Las Vegas for the game but decided to let the bet ride.

"I regret nothing," Skiba said after the game. "At the end if the day, I was playing with house money for the last two months. This was not supposed to happen in so many ways. It's the whole experience and the story. That's what I will remember.

"It was a bit of a life changing experience just from the exposure standpoint and tonight it definitely peaked."

This Burnett f\*\*k needs to get his head bashed in.

You can't make up this kind of stupidity.
    i guess youve never seen some of the stories in the saloon here. but ya penetrate this guy, didnt wana jinx his team, i guess it didnt matter.

innovation
    innovation's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 239

Ones thing for sure......all the thousands of Bama/Yankee/laker futures in the waste basket never make the news. It's these rare dumb luck bets that drives people to think betting Jaguars/Bucks/Astros to win it all is worth some coin.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post

Seriously one of the dumbest things in the history of mankind.

says the airbetting broketard who is 5-100 -500x psi in the past month.

u will never have any opportunity to hedge cause u have no money broketard.

lol

cruzing vato
    cruzing vato's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 232

I had Florida State at 6 to 1, and I hedged.. so this guys dumber than a dumb Mexican!

Plaza23

Quote Originally Posted by thetrinity View Post
    hell never sniff a position like this in his life ever again, and it sounds like he has some money.
    If he's rich and doesnt care about 15,000 - then so be it.
    You think Floyd Mayweather hedges bets? No, he doesnt because he gets his "high" from gambling by winning big. He's not gambling to make money. He's doing it just for the thrill and to show off (hence the ticket stubs he occassionaly shows off).

I dont see this situation as any different than a poker player that says wins 15,000, and has the chance to walk away, but instead puts up that $15,000 for a chance to win $50,000. There are people like that. If I was trying to make money, I wouldnt recommend it. But if you are just playing for fun and only get something out of it if your team wins - then i understand not hedging and letting it ride.

All about opportunity cost. If you got $500,000 in the bank - maybe $15,000 more wouldnt matter to you. But if you put in $50,000 more - it would. So i can see situations where people dont hedge but I dont hate on them for it.

Maybe 15,000 to this guy is like $5 to one of us. Would you hedge to guarantee you win $5 if you have a chance to win $15? most probably wouldnt.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Maybe 15,000 to this guy is like $5 to one of us. Would you hedge to guarantee you win $5 if you have a chance to win $15? most probably wouldnt.

What?

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

You think Floyd Mayweather hedges bets? No, he doesnt because he gets his "high" from gambling by winning big. He's not gambling to make money. He's doing it just for the thrill and to show off (hence the ticket stubs he occassionaly shows off).

I dont see this situation as any different than a poker player that says wins 15,000, and has the chance to walk away, but instead puts up that $15,000 for a chance to win $50,000. There are people like that. If I was trying to make money, I wouldnt recommend it. But if you are just playing for fun and only get something out of it if your team wins - then i understand not hedging and letting it ride.

All about opportunity cost. If you got $500,000 in the bank - maybe $15,000 more wouldnt matter to you. But if you put in $50,000 more - it would. So i can see situations where people dont hedge but I dont hate on them for it.

his "reasons" for not doing it are ridiculous.

sk47

Had auburn +10 so u knw i was pulling fo him....but can u imagine his nerves in the last of the 4.....

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

This wasn't a -110 ticket.

This was a 500:1 bet.

Huge difference.

sk47

Mayweather would hedge...no doubt about it

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears

the best part was the guy was in vegas and could have had fsu + points at half

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Not to hedge at halftime, in a game that was begging for a middle, on a 500:1 ticket - WTF?!

Reason number 1 on a good future is to have the idea of hedging it for guaranteed money. Poor bastard.

LoveDaRush
    LoveDaRush's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 128

Haha I hope he gets depressed for life haha

frostno98
    frostno98's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 648

The guys just wanted to be on ESPN again because if Auburn won and he hedge, then it proves that he wasn't 100% confident with his team. He did the right thing, ride or die, go down in victory or flames together with your team. He should of at least put 10k on FSU. People here keep saying he's rich and money don't mean nothing to him, LOL. Trust me I know a few establish small business people with a ton of money, even if 2k is chump chain to them no one likes f...king losing period!

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1830

Always hedge.

Brutal loss if you had 500-1

innovation

Simple rule in sales

"Never leave money on the table"

same applies to life....if the guy is wealthy then what the fuk is he betting on 500:1 odds for

I get its his school but bet some Bama alum 5k and get your kicks off that way.

The other thing is even though its a lousy 100 bucks your team went through so much this year. His ass squeaked out a miracle tipped ball win and a missed field goal win.

that dumb fukker disrespected his ticket by not recognizing the situation that lay before him. You don't catch all those breaks and expect to win as a DD dog to a non SEC team....read the writing on the wall.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

there was a guy who bet the giants to win the sb at 1000 to 1 odds...... for a cool mil. refused to hedge even though banks were willing to loan him $500k. turned a very +ev situation in to a colossal failure, kinda like lakerboy except it's air.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Now he's backtracking on Twitter, saying (after the game of course) he "caught FSU at even money early in the game for $2K." Then he later says "actually, I won $1900."

This guy is a trainwreck.

https://twitter.com/markjskiba

Plaza23

Now he's backtracking on Twitter, saying (after the game of course) he "caught FSU at even money early in the game for $2K." Then he later says "actually, I won $1900."

This guy is a trainwreck.

https://twitter.com/markjskiba

That makes more sense. It makes for a better story if he doesnt hedge. But if he really did, its better for him personally. He's trying to get his kicks both ways.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

That makes more sense. It makes for a better story if he doesnt hedge. But if he really did, its better for him personally. He's trying to get his kicks both ways.
    I still think $2,000 (if he actually did bet the game live somehow) is a weak "hedge," but it's $2,000 better than zero if he did so I would upgrade him from braindead to just plain stupid.

innovation

Is laugh if his dad (who had the 10 ticket) ended up hedging more then this sorry sap.

the dream of hedging is getting even money......once in a lifetime at that amount and he has his hand in his pants.

now mind you I would have been forced to hedge before the game because I wouldn't risk the chance of no halftime opportunity.

odog11
    It aint easy being greasy.
    odog11's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3197

Guy had tremendous value going into the game, if he doesn't "need" the money no real reason to hedge by placing a bet with crap value. That being said, I probably would have. I do try to avoid hedging unless I think the hedding bet at least has decent, if even -ev value. Fact is long term hedging at -ev is a losing proposition.

imadegen
    imadegen's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 9093

shoulda hedged ATLEAST 10 grand.

cankid
    cankid's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10352

I think in a position like that you if the opportunity arises in Live betting or at halftime you should be hedging 15-20%. That was a weak hedge and poor decision in my opinion.

First 12345 Last