VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

College Basketball Game of the Season - Thursday, January 2nd

Hello guys. I only tend to post plays when I have something really strong and this one just so happens to be a team and school that I know all too well, as my biggest play of the season will be on my alma mater (URI) against an in-state rival (Brown). Very, very interesting matchup tomorrow in Providence, especially with the potential weather that might not even allow this game to go off. I know Providence very well and it's not easy to get around there in the snow. The gym could very well have more URI fans, as they've always traveled better then Brown fans to begin with. School is out of session and Brown has very few students from Rhode Island. On the other hand, URI is filled with local kids that will most certainly be around and most likely attending this game. That's just one small aspect. Now the hard numbers:

I use Kenpom a lot in handicapping (as does everyone else) and it's an absolute shame that Brown is ranked almost in the Top 150 in the national rankings. The Bears are 6-5 with three of their wins coming against 3 of the worst teams in the COUNTRY (Longwood #325, Binghamton #340, UMass Lowell #349) and they've also managed non-conference wins against two sub-250 schools in Sacred Heart #281 and Central Connecticut #265. It's pathetic. They played no one. The most difficult game on the schedule thus far has been vs. another in-state rival Providence (#78) in which they lost by 4 at the Dunkin Donuts Center. Rhode Island has played a very competitive schedule and has shown some improvements under second year coach Dan Hurley. They have some great ball handlers (despite their turnover issues early in the season) and a team that is more focused defensively then the Jim Baron days. It's a different brand of hoops in Kingston and it's allowed Rhody to stay in games. Rhody's wins are nothing spectacular at all, along the same lines as Brown. They've beaten up on a lot of sub-250 teams but they've taken on some real challenges this season too. They went to Arizona, they went to SMU, they went to a much improved Detroit. All loses but all progressively better efforts since the Nov 11th beatdown by SMU.

Xavier Munford is living up to the hype that he's the future for Keaney Blue. After a slow start shooting the basketball, he's really come on nicely with some three point touch and rebounding. The Sophmore is averaging 15 ppg and leads the Rams in scoring. Freshman E.C. Matthews is averaging 11 ppg and has shown ability to take over stretches of games. Both of these squads will rely on defensive and ball control, which makes these points even more valuable. This isn't the same 'ole Rhody from a few years ago, the Run n Gun style that didn't play any non-conference competition under Jim Baron. These are the new Rams, defensively minded and willing to play those grind it out games. Young team, young coach but an ever improving squad. Give me the points here and let's hope the blizzard doesn't cancel this bitch

Rhode Island Rams +4.5 (-110)
    Points Awarded:

Duckshit gave VegasInsider 2 SBR Point(s) for this post.

darkghost gave VegasInsider 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 5 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Bet10Heinekens, jjgold, LT Profits, bravo101, and The Giant

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Nice write-up, hope it hits VI.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Thanks, Cuse. I was waiting for this fukker to open up all day and I was stunned when I saw +4.5 (as was someone big timer too, line moved to 3.5 within the hour)

One good thing about following certain teams closely is you can really pick up on bad numbers.

Bet10Heinekens
    Bet10Heinekens's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5044

awesome write-up V.I.

I could never have one of those long analytical essay as my write up, too much grammatical errors on my part.

will take look at the this game

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5536

hm great writeup. i have a freeplay i was looking to use just may do it here.

STAX
    STAX's Avatar Become A Pro!

thanks Vegas! nice write up...

Bet10Heinekens

* Game Note: TIME CHANGE GAME #529-530 RHODE ISLAND vs. BROWN START TIME HAS BEEN MOVED TO 3PM PT. DUE TO IMPENDING SNOW STROM.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5536

what the hell is 1 hour gona do? i wish they were playin this at noon.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

Nice write up

Jrod124
    Update your status
    Jrod124's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 535

Solid write-up

Love Xavier Munford, have him on my big money college fantasy team. I think the Rams win outright

Bet10Heinekens

Key Player Injuries
    RHODE ISLAND
    [F] 12/28/2013 - Jordan Hare out indefinitely ( Personal )
    [F] 12/21/2013 - Mike Aaman out indefinitely ( Head )
    [G] 12/21/2013 - Mike Powell has left team ( Personal )
    BROWN
    No significant injuries.

Does any of these guys contribute any significance minutes and scoring for R.I. or they just a bunch of bench warmers

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

WagerType: Date: Team: Risking / To Win Ticket#:
    STRAIGHT BET Jan 02 CBB [529] RHODE ISLAND +3-105 105.00 USD / 100.00 USD 27037402

Im in but I'm a square late to the party

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Powell plays a lil

no big deal

IGotKidsToFeed
    Sic 'Em
    IGotKidsToFeed's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9459

Got it at 3.5 but went small... now I wish I'd gone bigger

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Figured they would move the game. That's awesome, my afternoon just got much more exciting.

In reference to the Rhody injury list. Not very important for the Rams.

ApricotSinner32
    ApricotSinner32's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

All in

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by Bet10Heinekens View Post
    * Game Note: TIME CHANGE GAME #529-530 RHODE ISLAND vs. BROWN START TIME HAS BEEN MOVED TO 3PM PT. DUE TO IMPENDING SNOW STROM.

Oh, I misread that. Thought they moved it up to 3pm ET. I agree, what the hell is an hour going to do. I'm 2.5 hours north of Providence and there is already about 3-4 inches of snow on the ground and the winds are howling. It's going to be a real shitshow in the capital city tonight

mynameismud
    mynameismud's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8427

anyone taking the +140?

Doughboy22
    SYNDICATE... AHHHHHH
    Doughboy22's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3733

one of my best friends growing up coaches at brown

BadLuckSanta
    BadLuckSanta's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19889

good luck

rebounding for URI is going to be tough

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by mynameismud View Post
    anyone taking the +140?
    I have a little bit on it as well. Not even close to the +4.5 though

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by BadLuckSanta View Post
    good luck

rebounding for URI is going to be tough
    Brown does have some guys that can rebound the ball, but Rhody is no slouch themselves, especially on the offensive end. Rhody's rebounds are spread out among more players. Brown is dominated mainly by Maia and Cedric (can't remember his last name, I know he's from Worcester though)

Noles1992
    Noles1992's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 25530

Great write up , just tailed!

BIGDAY
    angelman.org
    BIGDAY's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 24854

Let's Pound the fukker !!!

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Quote Originally Posted by BIGDAY View Post
    Let's Pound the fukker !!!

When BD says pound, you pound that fukker!

This play brought to you by the Dec POTM Pound Crew! Ayooooooo

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

BIRUTA might be the difference

This team really seems to be coming together

BIRUTA EMERGING

• After sitting out the 2012-13 season, junior transfer Gilvydas Biruta is rounding into form.
    • He posted two consecutive double-doubles; 14 points/10 rebounds at Detroit and 17 points/11 rebounds versus New Hampshire.
    • The 6-8 forward has scored in double figures in six of the last seven games.
    • During the seven-game span, Biruta is averaging 13.0 points, 7.1 rebounds, 1.2 blocks, while shooting 62.3% (33-53) from the floor.
    • The transfer from Rutgers ranks ninth in the conference in FG% (.537) and 15th in rebounding (6.5 rpg).
    • Biruta had been hampered with a high ankle sprain early in the season, suffered late in Rhody's season opener vs. Maine on Nov. 8.

MUNFORD AND BUCKETS

• Since the start of the 2012-13 season, Munford has scored in double-figures in 37 of his 42 games - 88.1% of his games played at URI.
    • During that 42 game span, 14 of his 37 double-digit scoring games have been for 20 or more points.
    • Munford and had a season-high 26 points vs. McNeese State - his fifth career game with at least 25 points.
    • X is tied with Branden Frazier (Fordham) among all active A-10 players with 14 games with 20 or more points.
    • Chaz Williams (UMass), Dwayne Evans (SLU), and Langston Galloway (Saint Joseph's) each have 12 20+ scoring games.
    • In games where he scores 20+ points, Munford is shooting 49.3% from the floor (102-207) and 44.2% from 3-point land (42-95).

MATTHEWS LEADING YOUTH MOVEMENT

• E.C. Matthews is one of eight freshmen nationally that is averaging at least 10.0 points, 4.0 rebounds, and 2.0 assists.
    • Matthews ranks second on the Rams in scoring (10.7 points per game) and assists (2.2 apg).
    • He also ranks second in the A-10 in scoring and third in assists and rebounding among all freshmen in the league.
    • On Dec. 28 vs. Southern Miss, the 6-5 guard scored 13 of his team-high 17 points in the second half.
    • The Romulus, Mich. native had a season-high 18 points (6-11 FG; 1-4 3FG; 5-7 FT) in 22 minutes of play vs. North Carolina A&T.
    • Matthews was named Atlantic 10 Rookie of the Week on Nov. 25 and earned his first collegiate start on Nov. 26 vs. McNeese State.

BIGGIE, BIGGIE, BIGGIE

• Since entering the starting lineup for the Rams, Biggie Minnis is posting close to a 2:1 assist/turnover ratio.
    • He entered the Rams' starting lineup on Nov. 26 vs. McNeese State and responded with a career-high eight assists (two TO).
    • Against UNC Asheville, Minnis scored a career-high 14 points (5-6 FG) in 18 minutes off the bench for the Rams.
    • He also had nine points versus UMass Lowell and #5/4 Arizona and eight points and a season-best five assists vs. Metro State.
    • Minnis had 13 points, five rebounds and four assists vs. New Hampshire on Dec. 22.
    • The Philadelphia point guard has posted a 1.65:1 assist-turnover ratio so far this season.

THE DEFENSE DID NOT REST VS. NEW HAMPSHIRE

• Rhode Island put forth one of its best defensive efforts of the season on Dec. 22 vs. New Hampshire
    • Rhody's defense forced New Hampshire into missing its first 14 field goal attempts and held them to just two points from the FT line for the first 12 minutes of the game.
    • The Rams limited the Wildcats to just two field goals and 15 points in the first half.
    • The two field goals made were the second-fewest in a half by an NCAA Division I team this season.
    • UNH's 45 points was the fewest allowed by Rhode Island since a 45-44 win over Fordham on Feb. 3, 2007.

FROM STATEN ISLAND TO BLOCK ISLAND

• Over his last four games, freshman Hassan Martin has blocked 16 shots - an average of 4.0 per game.
    • It is the highest blocked shot total by a Rhody player since Jordan Hare recorded 17 swats over a four-game span last year.
    • The 6-7 native of Staten Island swatted a career-best five shots versus New Hampshire.
    • He tallied four blocks in the Providence and Southern Miss games, while recording three blocked shots at Detroit.
    • For the season, Martin's 1.6 blocks per game average ranks him sixth in the Atlantic 10 and 10th nationally among all frosh

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Link?

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Not starting early?

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    Not starting early?
    6:00 ET, 3:00 is PT

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Quote Originally Posted by VegasInsider View Post
    Hello guys. I only tend to post plays when I have something really strong and this one just so happens to be a team and school that I know all too well, as my biggest play of the season will be on my alma mater (URI) against an in-state rival (Brown). Very, very interesting matchup tomorrow in Providence, especially with the potential weather that might not even allow this game to go off. I know Providence very well and it's not easy to get around there in the snow. The gym could very well have more URI fans, as they've always traveled better then Brown fans to begin with. School is out of session and Brown has very few students from Rhode Island. On the other hand, URI is filled with local kids that will most certainly be around and most likely attending this game. That's just one small aspect. Now the hard numbers:

I use Kenpom a lot in handicapping (as does everyone else) and it's an absolute shame that Brown is ranked almost in the Top 150 in the national rankings. The Bears are 6-5 with three of their wins coming against 3 of the worst teams in the COUNTRY (Longwood #325, Binghamton #340, UMass Lowell #349) and they've also managed non-conference wins against two sub-250 schools in Sacred Heart #281 and Central Connecticut #265. It's pathetic. They played no one. The most difficult game on the schedule thus far has been vs. another in-state rival Providence (#78) in which they lost by 4 at the Dunkin Donuts Center. Rhode Island has played a very competitive schedule and has shown some improvements under second year coach Dan Hurley. They have some great ball handlers (despite their turnover issues early in the season) and a team that is more focused defensively then the Jim Baron days. It's a different brand of hoops in Kingston and it's allowed Rhody to stay in games. Rhody's wins are nothing spectacular at all, along the same lines as Brown. They've beaten up on a lot of sub-250 teams but they've taken on some real challenges this season too. They went to Arizona, they went to SMU, they went to a much improved Detroit. All loses but all progressively better efforts since the Nov 11th beatdown by SMU.

Xavier Munford is living up to the hype that he's the future for Keaney Blue. After a slow start shooting the basketball, he's really come on nicely with some three point touch and rebounding. The Sophmore is averaging 15 ppg and leads the Rams in scoring. Freshman E.C. Matthews is averaging 11 ppg and has shown ability to take over stretches of games. Both of these squads will rely on defensive and ball control, which makes these points even more valuable. This isn't the same 'ole Rhody from a few years ago, the Run n Gun style that didn't play any non-conference competition under Jim Baron. These are the new Rams, defensively minded and willing to play those grind it out games. Young team, young coach but an ever improving squad. Give me the points here and let's hope the blizzard doesn't cancel this bitch

Rhode Island Rams +4.5 (-110)
    You should post write-ups more often!

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!

Quote Originally Posted by LT Profits View Post
    6:00 ET, 3:00 is PT
    dam misread, thought I had afternoon action

VegasInsider
    Update your status

Thanks, LT. I do enjoy the tech analysis of games and writing. Maybe I'll make weekly wrote up or two.

VegasInsider
    Update your status

One hour until game time boys!!!

Video made and will be posted when I'm home. It's a real disaster up here. -4 currently, wind chill -29

billysink
    billysink's Avatar Become A Pro!

One thing that worries me is the Defensive Effective Field Goal % that Brown has ranking 19th nationally. They have a true shot blocker on the inside Cedric Kuakumensah who alters just about everything inside. He tends to foul but much more on the road. It appears that Brown is quite effective at limiting good looks on 3 balls as well.

Providence shot 41% against them from inside the arc, Northwestern 45% and it appeara that no one has shot a combined 50% on them this year anywhere. Pretty aggressive defence against a poor shooting team. I can see why Pom has Brown by 5 by the numbers. No difference in schedule strength as mentioned so these numbers should be usable. Rhody seems to be good against the 3 but Brown does not show that bias.

Greenfield does not give Brown much of a home court advantage here so that works in everyone's favour.

I may have to go contrarian to the crowd here but thanks a ton for the great write-up. I took a long look at a game that I had little interest in originally. Love these types of write-ups for that purpose.

Excellent contribution!!
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Louisvillekid1

VegasInsider
    Update your status

I can see your view on the play but given the great number, lack of any home court advantage and steady improvement of Rhody...I can't see any possible play on the Bears.

Goodluck tonight, bud. I wish more people would take some time and post quality write ups.

123 Last