ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Baseball, you can't explain it: Texas Rangers edition.

Will someone explain to me how a guy who was converted into an OF, and does so marginally, that will turn 32 this season, who's never been an All-Star, or won a Gold Glove, who's also a career .288 hitter, who's never hit more than 21 HR's in a year, and never had more than 90 RBI's, is worth 130 Million over 7 years?

You essentially just gave the next Troy O'Leary 130 million dollars. Someone explain why the Rangers don't understand baseball to me.

Look, Shin-Soo Choo is a good baseball player, but he is not worth 18 million a year. Not in this market, not in any market. Well done to his agent, but the Rangers - Take a lap.

opie1988
    I have a MAJOR fukkin clue..
    opie1988's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1012

Wow. You should seriously apply to take over for Jon Daniels. Had no idea you were this knowledgable about baseball decisions.

I wonder how that fukkin retard Daniels has managed to make 2 World Series, and be one 3 teams to win over 90 games each of the past 4 seasons?
    Let's remember....Daniels is the same moron that signed that piece of shit Yu Darvish, and let a stud like Josh Hamilton walk to a division rival.

Guy clearly doesn't have a fukkin clue how to run a baseball club.

Hopefully he looks at SBR and can take some tips from all the brilliant baseball minds that post here.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: MoneyzForSportz

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Baseball set up go bankrupt in 10 years
    I hope it does

firedawg
    firedawg's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1066

how do they pay these guys this much ? do they bring in that much money ? opie tell dawgy

wagerjunkie
    wagerjunkie's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 55

Choo is a lead off hitter....table setter..how the hell would he have over 90 RBIs in a season or over 21 HRs.....he is a table setter....

he is just starting to hit his stride and come into his prime over the last 3 years. and him being a lefty in that ballpark, his numbers should skyrocket. with Andrus not doing what they had hoped for at the top of the line up, this move is perfect.

wagerjunkie

Choo
    Andrus
    Fielder
    Beltre

that is absolutely devastating left-right-left-right (speed with power,average-speed-monster power-monster power-average) for a pitcher to deal with in Arlington.

billysink
    billysink's Avatar Become A Pro!

I don't think that money was well spent. That guy is so bad against lefties anymore, you are gonna get 325 good at bats and 200 where you gonna want to throw your remote through the fukkin TV

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

troy o'leary....woowww!

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by wagerjunkie View Post
    Choo
    Andrus
    Fielder
    Beltre

that is absolutely devastating left-right-left-right (speed with power,average-speed-monster power-monster power-average) for a pitcher to deal with in Arlington.
    Rangers lineup for 2014:

Shin-Soo Choo, LF.

Elvis Andrus, SS.

Adrian Beltre, 3B.

Prince Fielder, 1B.

Alex Rios, RF.

Mitch Moreland, DH.

Giovany Soto, C.

Jurickson Profar, 2B.

Leonys Martin, CF.

I can live with that.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

Quote Originally Posted by opie1988 View Post
    Rangers lineup for 2014:

Shin-Soo Choo, LF.

Elvis Andrus, SS.

Adrian Beltre, 3B.

Prince Fielder, 1B.

Alex Rios, RF.

Mitch Moreland, DH.

Giovany Soto, C.

Jurickson Profar, 2B.

Leonys Martin, CF.

I can live with that.
    fielder is a fat ass but should love playing in texas lol

Boner_18
    Update your status
    Boner_18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1031

Poor signing. That's all there is to it. GM is hack.

Dirty Sanchez
    Two time SBR Academy Award winner
    Dirty Sanchez's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 26

Choo is a jabroni...couple of years ago got a DUI double the limit and was crying like a baby...dude needs to grow a sack. Should fit right in with the sensitive types down there in Jerry Land

stealthyburrito
    Alien Robot Sex Party
    stealthyburrito's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 11653

Paid a little too much but its a good pickup.

King Mayan
    STFU AND SQUAT PUTO
    King Mayan's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3679

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Sanchez View Post
    Choo is a jabroni...couple of years ago got a DUI double the limit and was crying like a baby...dude needs to grow a sack. Should fit right in with the sensitive types down there in Jerry Land

gryfyn1
    gryfyn1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42

Good signing, moving Choo back to RF where he is at least an average fielder as opposed to the mess he was in CF will be a good move for him.

18m/year in this market is about right, Basbeball teams are swimming in money and and those millions are going to players or lining the pockets of the millionaires that own the teams. So people can continue to whine that baseball players get too much or take a ride in reality and realize that quality players cost alot in free agency.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32799

It is a good signing, he's an on base machine. Double Digit homers from lead off
    Good glove.
    2nd in the league in walks.
    6.0 WAR, O/WAR 6.4 third best in the majors
    WPA/LI+ is third best in the majors

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

Quote Originally Posted by firedawg View Post
    how do they pay these guys this much ? do they bring in that much money ? opie tell dawgy
    You think they pay out of pocket for this shit, this is a drop in the bucket for what they make yearly as a franchise.

Ralphie Halves
    Ralphie Halves's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15060

Quote Originally Posted by billysink View Post
    I don't think that money was well spent. That guy is so bad against lefties anymore, you are gonna get 325 good at bats and 200 where you gonna want to throw your remote through the fukkin TV
    This. Why is this being ignored?

I will give him credit, he had the 4th highest OBP out there despite this, and a .350 OBP vs lefties last year, so that's good for a table setter, and he's still a plus fielder. The deal is what gets me. That's the kind of money you give a stud player entering his prime that can mash regardless.

I'd bat him second. I'm old school in where I like your speedy Andrus types leading off.

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21413

He was 4th in OBP Last season and best among leadoff hitters. I don't think it's a stretch to say that's he's the best leadoff hitter in baseball. That's worth some good $, especially if you've got it to spend. He's 31 (not 32) but he's only got like 5 seasons worth of games played. I think he's a better overall play than Ellsbury who got $22m more.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

All these guys are drastically overpaid, funny that people will blast one team over another when they are all basically spending shit on players that won't perform for the money they are being paid. Apparently teams have to learn for themselves that paying 30+ year old players a shit ton is a bad investment.

Choo has a good OBP last year and generally, but damn the guy strikes out a lot.

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    It is a good signing, he's an on base machine. Double Digit homers from lead off
    Good glove.
    2nd in the league in walks.
    6.0 WAR, O/WAR 6.4 third best in the majors
    WPA/LI+ is third best in the majors
    Bang.

Nash gets it.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

gryfyn1

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    All these guys are drastically overpaid, funny that people will blast one team over another when they are all basically spending shit on players that won't perform for the money they are being paid. Apparently teams have to learn for themselves that paying 30+ year old players a shit ton is a bad investment.

Choo has a good OBP last year and generally, but damn the guy strikes out a lot.
    I dont know what you mean by overpaid. Teams have lots of money and there are very few players worth paying for; the only other option is for owner to pocket millions upon millions, in fact, Jeffrey Loria jettisons anyone on the team making a large salary, rakes in tons of money and is looked at as scum. When people who think these players are overpaid should all be praising him.

As far as giving long term deal to players 30+ years old, well that has become the status quo, teams know they are taking on dead money at the end of these deals, but that has become the price for having to fill out your team with top level free agents.

crustyme
    dont i look killer?
    crustyme's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 39

what's crazy is he turned down $140 mil from the yankees.

EaglesPhan36

Quote Originally Posted by gryfyn1 View Post
    I dont know what you mean by overpaid. Teams have lots of money and there are very few players worth paying for; the only other option is for owner to pocket millions upon millions, in fact, Jeffrey Loria jettisons anyone on the team making a large salary, rakes in tons of money and is looked at as scum. When people who think these players are overpaid should all be praising him.

As far as giving long term deal to players 30+ years old, well that has become the status quo, teams know they are taking on dead money at the end of these deals, but that has become the price for having to fill out your team with top level free agents.
    Just five years ago or so, $20 million per year was MASSIVE - top scale, something only maybe 1-3 teams would even consider. Now, $20 million deals have almost become normal for guys who are not producing at a clip worj $20 million. Guys like Choo should be getting MAYBE $10 million. Ellsbury worth maybe $7 .... I am just shocked that owners have never taken a stand against this shit and black balled these players who are asking for these mega deals.

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Who was the last big free agent position player signing that actually worked out?

Vlad Guerrero?

I honestly can't think of any

opie1988

Quote Originally Posted by InTheDrink View Post
    Who was the last big free agent position player signing that actually worked out?

Vlad Guerrero?

Adrien Beltre has worked out pretty damn well for Texas.

SBR
    Poster of
    Year 2011

Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1940

Not that hard to understand...just need a bit of business and baseball knowledge...

Chi_archie
    GASPING FOR AIR
    Chi_archie's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2260

What would Andrew mcCutchen command on the open market? Glad Pirates had foresight to lock him up before he got close to free agency. That deal looks more brilliant every day.

Naz18
    Naz18's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1940

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    Just five years ago or so, $20 million per year was MASSIVE - top scale, something only maybe 1-3 teams would even consider. Now, $20 million deals have almost become normal for guys who are not producing at a clip worj $20 million. Guys like Choo should be getting MAYBE $10 million. Ellsbury worth maybe $7 .... I am just shocked that owners have never taken a stand against this shit and black balled these players who are asking for these mega deals.
    Your clearly missing the entire picture....you think the owners are hostage...

Baseball revenues are increasing, the entire product is basically the players. so what else do you expect. When business is bad you'll see a decrease in players salaries. If a team is going to "take a stand" and not offer competitive salaries then another team will. The team that took the stand will lose revenue and income. You think the owners are just idiots to hand out this type of money? It's an investment.

Read up on how players become free agents in baseball, it takes a long time, this benefits small market teams from losing their players. So you don't get many quality free agents often. But you get a lot of interesting parties. I'm sure 15 teams would have offered Choo a 5 year $75 mil contract....
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: wagerjunkie

EaglesPhan36

Yeah he's making $13 mill or so per year and these dikks are making 175% more ... that makes sense LoL.

stevenash
    stevenash's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 32799

Vlad Guerrero?

He wasn't a postion player Drinker, but Moose was a great, great contract.

Mile Mussina - NYY Yankees
    6 years - 88 million
    2001-2006

2001: Made each and every start. 34 games started. That's what you are paying for, right? Guey to go out there each and every time he's supposed to get the rock.

Won 17 games in 2001. Stellar 3.15 ERA pitching in AL East, second best ERA that season. Second most strikeouts in the league, 214.
    Second in the league in K/BB ratio, second in the league in shutouts and complete games.
    Guey not only started every time he was scheduled to throw the rock, guey often finished what he started.

Saved the Yankees asses in the AL division series against the Red Sox in 2001
    Yanks down 0-2 in the series, Moose gets the rock in game 3.
    Moose shuts down the mighty Red Sox line up tossing 7 shutout innings, Yanks win game 1-0, Yanks become first team ever to come back from 0-2 in divison series to win series.
    No Moose, no World Series for Yanks that year.
    I am not worthy.

2002: Makes a 33 starts. Two years in a row now Moose has made every start.
    I'll say it again, big part of a big time contract is playing every day, in pitchers cases, make every start.

18 game winner in 2002. second best control pitcher that season (1.65 BB/9 9IP ratio)
    Third most strikeouts.

Moose was uber-clutch in 2002.
    Held hitters to .190 when game tied situations.

2003: Lights out again.
    17 game winner
    So far, the first three years of the six year contract, Moose has won 17, 18, and 17 games.
    Missed one start 2003. He made 98 out of 99 schedules starts in the first three years of contract.

Stellar WH/IP 1.08, stellar ERA, acroess the board rock freaking solid numbers again!

From 2001-2003 the second best pitcher in AL

2004: Made every start until injury forced him to miss three starts at All Star break.
    12 game winner.
    After missing 3 starts, came back from injury, got roughed up a little bit, but closed out the season like a freight train, Yanks won all five starts Moose made at the end of the season, Moose going 3-0, two ND-Winsi
    He still finished with the 4th most K's that season, and among the leaders in control stats again.

2005: Won 13 games, missed one start.
    Had to overhaul his game, due to injury in 2004, had to pretty much scrap the 94-95 mph heater, that's down to 90-91 mph.
    Had to rely on that devasting overhand curve of his.
    All the other numbers were down by Moose standards, but still a little over league average.

2006: After completely changing his game, had a rock solid season.
    Won 15. Was second and third in pretty much every category that season.
    And on, and on.

Won 20 games in 2008, his last season, but that was a different contract.
    Moose was my favorite pitcher of all time.
    I cried, I cried real Nashy tears when he won his 20th game in 2008
    Never in my life did I see a man more determined to win a game. NEVER!
    Oh, Nashy knew Moose was going to win that game in Fenway, and Nashy had a dime on Moose at +130 that game.
    Nashy rarely bets a dime, no less a nickle.

Guey was not going to be denied, last game of his remarkable career, last chance to win 20 games, Moose was lights out winning 6 to 2. He won 10 or more games every season in his career after his rookie year, FIRST MAN IN AL HISTORY TO WIN 10 OR MORE GAMES FOR 15 CONSECUTIVE SEASONS.

Real Nashy tears he cried.

Listen up!
    Most 100 million dollar contracts are failures!

Moose got 88 million, won 100 games as a Yankee
    You got 100 wins for that contrtact ! Only eight other pitchers have won 100 games for two different teams.
    With the exception of 2004, he pretty much made every start.
    Beyond Mr. Reluable
    He missed 7 starts in 6 seasonss.

Beyond Mr. Dependable too.

Was beyond clutch too.
    Don't let anybody tell you different, Moose was very clutch.
    I told you about the ALDS game.

Moose performed one of the greatest, if not THE greastest CLUTCH pitching performances of all time.

2004: AL Championship Series.
    Game 7 ALCS
    Game 7 people! The ultimate game, the payoff game, the win or go home game, the game that seperates the gueys from the nanci's.
    The game that says, "are you man enough, if not, go the phuck home maggot"

Game 7 - Yanks / Red Sox, as big as it gets.
    Yanks getting beat up and beat down.
    Red Sox 4 Yankees 0

Moose enters the fourth inning as a reliever
    Never before in his life has he come out of the 'pen.
    Sox got first and third, NO OUT, they are ready to blow this thing sky high.
    Moose comes in, strikes out Varitek with one of the most devastating overhand curvevballs anybody ever threw.
    One out, first and third, up comes Johnny Damon, gets Damon to hit a weak ass grounder to Jeter.
    6-4-3 DP !
    Moose gets out of it. MOOOOOOSE !

With the excetpion of a Nomar single, and a Manny single, Moose shut the Red Sox down and out out of the pen, matching Pedro that game pitch for pitch and then some.

That game was as good as it gets.

Boone gets the credit for winning that game with the walkoff bomb.

Moose saved that game, saved the Yankees season and asses in the fourth inning, without that fourth inning, there never would have been the Boone walkout.

You want to tell me Moose is not Hall worthy, go for it, have at it, you ain't convincing me.

What he did in a PED era, what he did pitching clean to hitters juiced up to the sky was remarkable, I don't have to tell you the numbers, they are out there, they speak for themselves.

Moose earned every penny of that Yankee contract, oh sure, some of you put off by his "I could explain it to you, but it'll just go over your head" attitude. But he was never a jack off, ptiched the game the way it was supposed to, and the very few that really know him will tell you he's a real good guey.

Moose was always my guey, even when he was shutting down my favorite team as an Oriole, and is, in my eyes a sure fire Hall of Famer, and you can not tell me different
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Cuse0323

wagerjunkie

Vlad Guerrero?

as far as 7 + year contracts go? guess Jeter..

wagerjunkie

Quote Originally Posted by stevenash View Post
    He wasn't a postion player Drinker, but Moose was a great, great contract.

Mile Mussina - NYY Yankees
    6 years - 88 million
    2001-2006

2001: Made each and every start. 34 games started. That's what you are paying for, right? Guey to go out there each and every time he's supposed to get the rock.

Won 17 games in 2001. Stellar 3.15 ERA pitching in AL East, second best ERA that season. Second most strikeouts in the league, 214.
    Second in the league in K/BB ratio, second in the league in shutouts and complete games.
    Guey not only started every time he was scheduled to throw the rock, guey often finished what he started.

Saved the Yankees asses in the AL division series against the Red Sox in 2001
    Yanks down 0-2 in the series, Moose gets the rock in game 3.
    Moose shuts down the mighty Red Sox line up tossing 7 shutout innings, Yanks win game 1-0, Yanks become first team ever to come back from 0-2 in divison series to win series.
    No Moose, no World Series for Yanks that year.
    I am not worthy.

2002: Makes a 33 starts. Two years in a row now Moose has made every start.
    I'll say it again, big part of a big time contract is playing every day, in pitchers cases, make every start.

18 game winner in 2002. second best control pitcher that season (1.65 BB/9 9IP ratio)
    Third most strikeouts.

Moose was uber-clutch in 2002.
    Held hitters to .190 when game tied situations.

2003: Lights out again.
    17 game winner
    So far, the first three years of the six year contract, Moose has won 17, 18, and 17 games.
    Missed one start 2003. He made 98 out of 99 schedules starts in the first three years of contract.

Stellar WH/IP 1.08, stellar ERA, acroess the board rock freaking solid numbers again!

From 2001-2003 the second best pitcher in AL

2004: Made every start until injury forced him to miss three starts at All Star break.
    12 game winner.
    After missing 3 starts, came back from injury, got roughed up a little bit, but closed out the season like a freight train, Yanks won all five starts Moose made at the end of the season, Moose going 3-0, two ND-Winsi
    He still finished with the 4th most K's that season, and among the leaders in control stats again.

2005: Won 13 games, missed one start.
    Had to overhaul his game, due to injury in 2004, had to pretty much scrap the 94-95 mph heater, that's down to 90-91 mph.
    Had to rely on that devasting overhand curve of his.
    All the other numbers were down by Moose standards, but still a little over league average.

2006: After completely changing his game, had a rock solid season.
    Won 15. Was second and third in pretty much every category that season.
    And on, and on.

Won 20 games in 2008, his last season, but that was a different contract.
    Moose was my favorite pitcher of all time.
    I cried, I cried real Nashy tears when he won his 20th game in 2008
    Never in my life did I see a man more determined to win a game. NEVER!
    Oh, Nashy knew Moose was going to win that game in Fenway, and Nashy had a dime on Moose at +130 that game.
    Nashy rarely bets a dime, no less a nickle.

Guey was not going to be denied, last game of his remarkable career, last chance to win 20 games, Moose was lights out winning 6 to 2. He won 10 or more games every season in his career after his rookie year, FIRST MAN IN AL HISTORY TO WIN 10 OR MORE GAMES FOR 15 CONSECUTIVE SEASONS.

Real Nashy tears he cried.

Listen up!
    Most 100 million dollar contracts are failures!

Moose got 88 million, won 100 games as a Yankee
    You got 100 wins for that contrtact ! Only eight other pitchers have won 100 games for two different teams.
    With the exception of 2004, he pretty much made every start.
    Beyond Mr. Reluable
    He missed 7 starts in 6 seasonss.

Beyond Mr. Dependable too.

Was beyond clutch too.
    Don't let anybody tell you different, Moose was very clutch.
    I told you about the ALDS game.

Moose performed one of the greatest, if not THE greastest CLUTCH pitching performances of all time.

2004: AL Championship Series.
    Game 7 ALCS
    Game 7 people! The ultimate game, the payoff game, the win or go home game, the game that seperates the gueys from the nanci's.
    The game that says, "are you man enough, if not, go the phuck home maggot"

Game 7 - Yanks / Red Sox, as big as it gets.
    Yanks getting beat up and beat down.
    Red Sox 4 Yankees 0

Moose enters the fourth inning as a reliever
    Never before in his life has he come out of the 'pen.
    Sox got first and third, NO OUT, they are ready to blow this thing sky high.
    Moose comes in, strikes out Varitek with one of the most devastating overhand curvevballs anybody ever threw.
    One out, first and third, up comes Johnny Damon, gets Damon to hit a weak ass grounder to Jeter.
    6-4-3 DP !
    Moose gets out of it. MOOOOOOSE !

With the excetpion of a Nomar single, and a Manny single, Moose shut the Red Sox down and out out of the pen, matching Pedro that game pitch for pitch and then some.

That game was as good as it gets.

Boone gets the credit for winning that game with the walkoff bomb.

Moose saved that game, saved the Yankees season and asses in the fourth inning, without that fourth inning, there never would have been the Boone walkout.

You want to tell me Moose is not Hall worthy, go for it, have at it, you ain't convincing me.

What he did in a PED era, what he did pitching clean to hitters juiced up to the sky was remarkable, I don't have to tell you the numbers, they are out there, they speak for themselves.

Moose earned every penny of that Yankee contract, oh sure, some of you put off by his "I could explain it to you, but it'll just go over your head" attitude. But he was never a jack off, ptiched the game the way it was supposed to, and the very few that really know him will tell you he's a real good guey.

Moose was always my guey, even when he was shutting down my favorite team as an Oriole, and is, in my eyes a sure fire Hall of Famer, and you can not tell me different
    Nasher, you would be a Mussina guy.

Spoiler
    Spoiler's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 349

In this market? How many players are better that are available, and with the # of steals he has added to the equation?

gryfyn1

Quote Originally Posted by Chi_archie View Post
    What would Andrew mcCutchen command on the open market? Glad Pirates had foresight to lock him up before he got close to free agency. That deal looks more brilliant every day.
    and its move like that, that are driving up the values of free agents, with so many teams doing it the is a dearth of quality guys on the market and those that do command more money.

as far as 100m deals, of deals that we've seen at least 5 years of info there have been 11, 5 of those Arod in 2001, jeter(2001), Ramirez(2001), Cabrera(2008), & Helton(2003) were all well worth the contract, two Zito(2007) Arod(2008) were almost universality panned as disasters before the ink was even dry.

The other 4;
    Santana(2008) was excellent untill injuries ended his career 3 years later, but injuries are a known risk and teams assume players with no record of issues have them during the valuation process,

Soriano(2007) outside a brutal 2009 season has been better than most people give him credit for averaging ~3WAR/year despite producing nothing in 2009.

Teixeira(2008) was actually producing well from 2008-2012 and while obviously declining he was another player for lost an entire year to injuries and the injuries leave his future production in question

Vernon Wells(2008) was the only one who looked like a reasonable contract that tanked almost immediately and have been an albatross contract since it was signed.

The concept of massive deals becoming disasters quickly is really a recent phenomenon as MLB teams have tons of money to spend and teams are beginning to wisely lock up young players long term before they can see free agency. So teams are beginning to make more and more risky signings and throwing around surplus cash in an attempt to chase pennants as opposed to pocketing it and buying themselves another private jet.

12 Last