itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Les Miles on his way to Austin??

Texas is getting ready to meet with The Hat about taking the Longhorns job boys.

Make of it what you will, I'm just the messenger here so not saying its a done deal, might just be part of the way these things go but....

Family friend who's daughter is at a UT thing with Les' daughter tonight - Smacker Miles (yes thats her damn name) is on the girls swim team at UT said she mentioned 'ole daddy is coming in town but not just to visit baby girl before she heads home for the Christmas break

Hadn't thought of it before but consider the LSU situation....Mettenberger is gone, still lots of talent but will LSU be able to compete for the SEC still? Miles has ties to the Big 12 from his Okie State days.....fresh start maybe? Be close to his little girl etc?

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

He turned down his dream job at Michigan. He isn't going anywhere. When rumors swirl you're hiring the best coach in NCAAF and you fail, you have to throw big names around so it looks like you're trying.

itchypickle
    Dan Bilzerian's gunsmith
    itchypickle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5620

Nah Deuce I've said Jimbo or try for Kirby from Bama....didn't even consider Les leaving and honestly I hope he does stay in Baton Rouge to keep it interesting.

Just thought it was interesting the timing tonight and all. We shall see....tell your Lions to win this damn game tonight too by the way.

bobby heenan
    Update your status
    bobby heenan's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 75

sorry guys...its gonna be jose canseco
    Points Awarded:

actiondan gave bobby heenan 5 SBR Point(s) for this post.

VegasInsider
    Update your status
    VegasInsider's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18

What about Mark Richt?? He's from Nebraska, has a lot of big time college affiliations (FSU, UGA and Miami) and his star QB is gone. Maybe a nice, fresh start for one hell of a recruiter and fairly young too (53, I think?)

seaborneq
    It's time to collect
    seaborneq's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13422

If Les Miles leaves it would be to get away from Nick Saban's shadow.

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

Oh Lord. Have to sit through more stupid rumors until some chump takes the gig ... yay. It's truly pathetic if UT has to resort to doing shit like this, but I guess that is how coaching searches function. Make the destination sound better than it probably is, although Austin should be a destination that needs very little fluffing. Great city. Good fanbase. Tons of money. Easy sell for the right person. If Texas really thinks they are going to lure some big name out of their spot though, I think they are delusional.

They'd be much better off finding themselves a younger coach who sees this as "his stop" and not just a reason to get paid more.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Austin is going to have to dig deep into their pockets and their list.

Meaning, they're most likely going to be paying a lot more for a worse coach than Mack Brown, albeit younger.

EaglesPhan36

There aren't a lot of Xs & Os coaches worse than Mack Brown. If the guy they hire can recruit, then he is already better than what was left of Mack Brown. That was Brown's bread & butter - get the talent to Austin, but he wasted so much of it because of poor coaching. The last few years he started losing his grip on recruiting. He was your prototypical "Face of a program" but without the best coaching talent. He's a guy I think was only as good as his coordinators and his coordinators the last few years (guys he hired) were shit.

ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Quote Originally Posted by EaglesPhan36 View Post
    There aren't a lot of Xs & Os coaches worse than Mack Brown. If the guy they hire can recruit, then he is already better than what was left of Mack Brown. That was Brown's bread & butter - get the talent to Austin, but he wasted so much of it because of poor coaching. The last few years he started losing his grip on recruiting. He was your prototypical "Face of a program" but without the best coaching talent. He's a guy I think was only as good as his coordinators and his coordinators the last few years (guys he hired) were shit.
    I disagree in part, due to his last 5 or 6 years of talent evaluation.

The list of talent he failed miserably to evaluate, from his own state, are a who's who of college football.

Texas recruits itself, and I actually think Mack Brown is a much better Coach than talent evaluator/recruiter.

As has been mentioned, he is a victim of his own success because it led to very high expectations, but it also allowed him to slack off much like Ben Howland at UCLA in his recruiting efforts. He was also a victim of losing some of the better assistant coaches to head coaching positions. That kind of turnover is a hard thing to deal with for so many different reasons.

He got paid, so there is nothing to feel bad about, but he absolutely got a rawish end of the deal.

Louisvillekid1
    LAMAR MVP!
    Louisvillekid1's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 553

I still don't get why Gary Patterson isn't being offered

frogsrangers
    Zackary > Angelito
    frogsrangers's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5421

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    Wouldn't fit with the mold of who Texas wants

Texas needs a yes man

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce View Post
    He turned down his dream job at Michigan. He isn't going anywhere. When rumors swirl you're hiring the best coach in NCAAF and you fail, you have to throw big names around so it looks like you're trying.
    michigan wasnt paying 7 mil a year either

when i hear all this rumor shit i think back to rich rod turning down bammer before they "settled" on saban

how different would cfb be if richrod took the job?

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Jim Harbough

EaglesPhan36

Quote Originally Posted by Louisvillekid1 View Post
    That's my Alma Mater ... Before they moved to the Big 12, Patterson would have been on the radar. He's lost some of his luster with the way the last two years have gone. Pachall really fukked the program with his behavior, so it's not all coaching - a lot of coaches would have been absolutely blown out all year with the injuries they had and the problems on offense due to Pachall being hurt this year. Excited they have swooped in and took one of Tech's offensive assistants to spruce up their stale offense. They will be better next year, they were really young this season on defense and lacked offensive playmakers.

End of the day, Patterson isn't a hot commodity since they moved to the Big 12 and he's not a sexy hire IMO. I don't think UT backers would be happy with that hire even if Patterson is a great defensive coach that would be a large upgrade over Brown. If this was heading into 2012 ... no doubt he would have been right on top of the list, but not any more.

BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH
    BigdaddyQH's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 8638

Miles is a possibility. The SEC West is filled with all sorts of mines to trip on. We all know about Alabama, but look at
    Auburn, who is in the NC game. Then you have A&M, Ole Miss, Arkansas, all of whom have bitten Miles in the arse at one time or another recently. Oh yea, then there is that yearly game with Florida. Next year, LSU opens with Wisconsin. Texas has a much easier schedule and plays in a much easier Conference. Worth thinking about.