SBR_John
    Wisky
    SBR_John's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 42225

The Gold rally starts today. Anyone know anything about buying coins?

No not the JJ Gold rally, the metal.

BTW I bought a few Libertys and feel like I got gauged. I paid $45 over spot, the fugger was initally trying to charge me $63 over spot. Went back for another purchase and he refused to go lower. I think he ended up charging $44.

Like most things in my life I have no fuggin clue what I'm doing. Whats the best way to buy gold coins???

brooks85
    brooks85's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6881

45 over spot isn't terrible, 63 would be a crime, but definitely can save at other places.

Gold is going to go a little lower over the next year according to goldman sachs but either way it will be up long run.

If you're buying a lot and don't care about shitty customer service, check out tulving.com. Best prices around, but again, you'll have to be patience for your metal. You can check out their operation youtube.

Other places like Apmex are good too but you're paying a little extra because of the amount of variety they have. But, if you shop smart you can buy coins that will sell for more than the are worth just because special editions or limited release. However, it's better to do that with silver.
    Last edited by brooks85; 11-29-13 at 08:15 AM.
    Points Awarded:

SBR_John gave brooks85 25 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Optional
    Optional's Avatar Moderator
    Betpoints: 9194

Is it better to just speculate on a gold index and avoid the big premium buying metal?

manny24
    pay Bobby
    manny24's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 649

stacking buffalo $50's for years

live life like you're broke

save gold like an old lady stealing sugar packets at IHOP
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: No coincidences

SBR_John
    Wisky

Quote Originally Posted by Optional View Post
    Is it better to just speculate on a gold index and avoid the big premium buying metal?
    Probably. But I'm not looking to trade them. Looking at a very long term hold, more of a hedge against paper money investments.

JoeyBagels
    JoeyBagels's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 4500

If i were buying physical gold I would only go through a (US/CAD) mint with a special coinage. You may pay more over spot initially but embedded in the purchase are longshot odds that it's a coin and may add value over and above the gold content as it may turn out to be something coin collectors want in the future. Not to mention you're guaranteed that it's 100% gold content and not part tungsten like some unfortunate people were duped into when they thought they were buying 100% gold. Just testing to make sure it's 100% pure after purchase would erode any initial "potential" discount from a 3rd party seller IMO.

Probably the cheapest way to get exposure is to buy a gold etf though.
    Points Awarded:

SBR_John gave JoeyBagels 10 Betpoint(s) for this post.

katstale
    katstale's Avatar Become A Pro!

The coins also "travel" well coming and going internationally.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

I placed an order for 40 kilobars today. I plan on hanging on them for about 20 years and then sell them for profit. My financial adviser said you should avoid stocks and convert cash to gold bars. Already bought a safe to save them in my basement.

mr. leisure
    mr. leisure's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 33110

http://www.silvertowne.com/ has free shipping on everything until the end of the month .

I not sure about their gold prices I only buy silver once in awhile .

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Why even buy them??

Easier to trade on exchanges that are legal or if your non usa trade cfds and tax free on wins

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Why even buy them??

Easier to trade on exchanges that are legal or if your non usa trade cfds and tax free on wins
    Don't like to touch gold bars? I show them off to my buddies all the time. If the stock market collapses or your bank goes belly up you still own the gold bars at home whereas your stocks could be worthless or your money in the bank gone.

jjgold

Paver good point but so easy to rob gold bars

You have more risk of robbery vs bank or brokerage house going down

Johnny listen to me..go get yourself ans Alipari UK account or even Finspreads and use your CR address

Tax free on wins

SBR_John
    Wisky

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Don't like to touch gold bars? I show them off to my buddies all the time. If the stock market collapses or your bank goes belly up you still own the gold bars at home whereas your stocks could be worthless or your money in the bank gone.
    I have bought some of the bars I think they are about 3.5 oz. I think they were about $20-$25 per oz over spot. I was told this is the best size because the larger bars can be hard to sell... keeping in mind I'm an extreme novice.(he may make more on the bars he sold me)

Excellent point by Bagels. I noticed the Buffalo's trade at a higher premium to pretty much every coin while Maple Leafs have the lowest. My gold dealer told me they are suppose to report sales of gold coins except there is no reporting of the Liberty coins which is why I'm sort of focusing on those.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

if the dollar collapses exactly what do you do with your gold bars. there won't be anywhere to spend them or cash them in. no grocery stores will be open and if they are will they take your gold bars. if you try to fly to europe will they take gold bars at the ticket counter. i doubt if a jeweler would buy them (with what?) and who would buy the gold earrings or bracelets with nothing but gold or silver to pay for them. even the paper money you have or stocks you currently have are worthless unless someone will accept them for payment for goods or services. so keep giving your cash away for precious metals you can't spend on anything anyway when the time comes. the people selling this junk are using your cash to buy the stuff you could be buying and enjoying. think....

SBR_John
    Wisky

Paver good point but so easy to rob gold bars

You have more risk of robbery vs bank or brokerage house going down

Johnny listen to me..go get yourself ans Alipari UK account or even Finspreads and use your CR address

Tax free on wins
    I use a safety deposit box at the bank which is free. It's amazing at how little space gold takes.

jjgold

Johnny I would never sleep knowing I had gold bars in a safety deposit box, the staff at the bank does have an idea what is in these boxes nowadays plus security cameras make it hard to smuggle them in.

I do not advise buy any physical gold in this day and age , what happens if you go look at your gold and they are gone??

The bank can access your box

Sam Odom
    Sam Odom's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 37

Dont overlook silver coins --- if the worse of worse happens silver coins will be a better means of bartering

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE

Quote Originally Posted by unusialsusp5 View Post
    if the dollar collapses exactly what do you do with your gold bars. there won't be anywhere to spend them or cash them in. no grocery stores will be open and if they are will they take your gold bars. if you try to fly to europe will they take gold bars at the ticket counter. i doubt if a jeweler would buy them (with what?) and who would buy the gold earrings or bracelets with nothing but gold or silver to pay for them. even the paper money you have or stocks you currently have are worthless unless someone will accept them for payment for goods or services. so keep giving your cash away for precious metals you can't spend on anything anyway when the time comes. the people selling this junk are using your cash to buy the stuff you could be buying and enjoying. think....
    what will you do with stock certificates if the dollar collapses? at least with the gold bars you have something physical you can trade off for food. they will trade your gold bars for food but not your stock certificates.

SBR_John
    Wisky

what will you do with stock certificates if the dollar collapses? at least with the gold bars you have something physical you can trade off for food. they will trade your gold bars for food but not your stock certificates.
    In the most dire doomsday scenario its better to hoard oil, guns and gun powder, ammunition, liquor, tobacco, ect. I'm not looking to trade gold bars for a box of macaroni & cheese. The more likely event is currencies worldwide are worth less and less over the near, mid and long term. It won't be that gold goes up as it will be the case the dollar and other currencies decline in value and takes a lot more of them to buy gold, making it appear the price of gold has gone up.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Chi_archie

jjgold

Doomsday theory being going around for last 60 years

Will be going around for next. 60

Sam Odom

Doomsday theory being going around for last 60 years

Will be going around for next. 60

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

Quote Originally Posted by manny24 View Post
    stacking buffalo $50's for years

live life like you're broke

save gold like an old lady stealing sugar packets at IHOP
    all your life, you save your gold like it's your life, then you're about to croak.

since you can't take it with you, before you die, you forget to make a will but you leave it to your kids.

your kids then get lawyers and fight for who gets more.

your family implodes where no one trusts or likes one another.

your grand kids are spoiled rotten and most of them die of drug overdose.

all the gold you saved vanishes into thin air, life goes on...

greenhippo
    greenhippo's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 723

Quote Originally Posted by mr. leisure View Post
    http://www.silvertowne.com/ has free shipping on everything until the end of the month .

I not sure about their gold prices I only buy silver once in awhile .
    Bought from them for the first time this week, just a 10oz bar to see how the experience is.

unusialsusp5
    unusialsusp5's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3601

who would give up food for a gold coin or bar? gold only a good investment as long as the dollar doesn't collapse,or get inflated 300-1000% (more likely scenario than doomsday) and then you will only get pennies on the dollar for your worthless precious metals.

SBR_John
    Wisky

Quote Originally Posted by greenhippo View Post
    Bought from them for the first time this week, just a 10oz bar to see how the experience is.
    Gold American Eagle 1oz Date Our Choice

$1,366.25
    http://www.silvertowne.com/

WTF??

Like to find them for about $1290.

jjgold

Johnny you can get it for 1251..go trade the Spot with an FX Broker

I am still teaching you

Lugging around lots of gold draws red flags and you might draw attention

If I saw a guy in my City carrying gold bricks I would follow him and see where he stores them.

Sam Odom

SBR_John ...

Poster Brock Landers is dealing/selling Coins & Precious Metals

He has some GREAT Black Friday cash deals

mr. leisure

http://www.amagimetals.com/

apmex

Provident metals

Gainesville coins

modern coin mart

All of these are reputable companies

Vegas_bond
    Vegas_bond's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10099

Quote Originally Posted by unusialsusp5 View Post
    who would give up food for a gold coin or bar? gold only a good investment as long as the dollar doesn't collapse,or get inflated 300-1000% (more likely scenario than doomsday) and then you will only get pennies on the dollar for your worthless precious metals.
    A fool wouldnt.

Gold is the universal -and eternal- currency.

The alternative would be using fish and rice as coins. Unpractical in the long run.
    Last edited by Vegas_bond; 11-29-13 at 02:54 PM.

SBR_John
    Wisky

Quote Originally Posted by mr. leisure View Post
    http://www.amagimetals.com/

apmex

Provident metals

Gainesville coins

modern coin mart

All of these are reputable companies
    I just gave APMEX a try. They kind of fudge the spot price by showing an Ask a couple of bucks above the real ask. Any way I got some Buffalos for $1,308.39. I'll report how it goes. The order system was very adequate.
    Last edited by SBR_John; 11-29-13 at 04:34 PM. Reason: typo
    Points Awarded:

manny24 gave SBR_John 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

Madison
    Madison's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 13581

Johnny I would never sleep knowing I had gold bars in a safety deposit box, the staff at the bank does have an idea what is in these boxes nowadays plus security cameras make it hard to smuggle them in.

I do not advise buy any physical gold in this day and age , what happens if you go look at your gold and they are gone??

The bank can access your box

mr. leisure

Quote Originally Posted by SBR_John View Post
    I just gave APMEX a try. They kind of fudge the spot price by showing an Ask a couple of bucks above the real ask. Any way I got some Buffalos for $1,308.39. I'll report how it goes. The order system was very adequate.

Should go smoothly , APMEX has a really good reputation

TankHankerous
    Frrrrrrunkis!
    TankHankerous's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 576

JJ is right, holding physical gold is dumb because of robbers

byronbb
    byronbb's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2284

Bitcoin flirting with gold spot as I type.

eyeball
    eyeball's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 171

Buy numismatic Gold pandas slabbed Ms-70, they hold value a lot more than gold bars. There are 2 bullion china man that will buy your coins back.

Dont waste your time with bullion the price is controlled by the comex

GL

123 Last