warpednexus
    warpednexus's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3208

Are stupid poker players harder to beat?

Been playing poker for about two years and still consider myself to be a NOVICE.

But I also think I play pretty SOLID. (spoiler alert) I don't try to bluff myself into a bigger
    stack and I haven't gotten comfortable with shoving with anything other than premium hands.
    This is mainly because I have been beaten too many times by stupid shyt that I would have never
    CALLED a 3-4x raise pre-flop with. They always seem to draw straights or flushes by calling 3-4x preflop
    raises with very low percentage starting hands. This has happened here and other sites a lot.
    Maybe these players aren't stupid.....maybe they just play super loose and have lady luck on
    their side all the time ( at least against me ). Whatever the reason, these always seem to be the
    players with large stacks and finish high in tourneys. It has seriously got me wondering if
    some kind of software exists that allows you to see the community cards and if they are using it.

If some of you could do me a favor and take a look at a couple hands that I have gotten beat
    and let me know if I played SOLID or not.

The things I want to know are:

1. In your opinion, did I play SOLID and got beat by a donkey mother fuker
    2. Do you think these kinds of players are hard to beat? They always seem
    to hold onto low pairs like there platinum, making it hard to bluff them
    if you don't have a higher pair?
    3. Is there something fishy about this? Seems to me that no GOOD player
    in their right mind would would play these cards the way they did unless
    they knew what the community cards would be.

First is ridiculous... second hand not as much.............These hands were NOT played here,
    but against the same person. But the same kind of stuff HAS happened here too.

Hand 1:

Blinds------------- 50/100
    Stacks----------- Me: 3000 Them 2000
    Hole cards-------- Me: Kc Kh Them: 10d 8h
    Pre-flop --------- Me: raise 5x(500) Them: CALL

Community Cards----- Kd 6s 2h

My thoughts: Hell yeah, flopped a set. No chance for a straight or flush draw on his end.

Pre-turn---------- Me: Pot Raise (1000) Them: CALL
    Turn Card-------- 7c

My thoughts: sweet, that takes away the flush draw. Maybe he has pocket AA, I still have him beat. Can't possibly
    be fishing for a straight, he would have folded already.

Pre-river------------ Me : ALL-IN Them: CALL
    River Card---------- 9s

They win with straight--6,7,8,9,10

My Thoughts: WTF!!!! Are you fuking kidding me? How the hell do you call a 5x raise pre-flop with
    10,8 offsuit? And even worse how do you call a pot raise with only 3 to a straight
    after flop? BULLSHIIT!! I was pissed.

Hand 2:

Blinds------- 75/150
    Stacks------- Me: 1600 Them: 4300
    Hole Cards----- Me: Ac Ks Them: 7d 3c
    Pre-Flop------- Me: 4x Raise (600) Them: CALL

My Thoughts: Great here we go again

Community Cards---------Kc 7h 3d

My Thoughts: I have high pair with big kicker. No flush draw yet, possible straight if they called 3,4 or 4,5 suited

Pre-Turn------ Me: BET (450) Them:CALL

My Thoughts: Jezuz, what the hell is he fishing for this time.

Turn Card------ Js

My thoughts---- I don't know what this guy is fishing for, But maybe he flopped a SET, I'll let him tell me.

Pre-river-------- Me: CHECK Them: CHECK

My thoughts: oooooookkkkkkk? a check? either he's slow playing or fishing.

River Card------2d

My Thoughts: Good no possible straight or flush. No full house possible.
    If he's got a set he's slow playing. Screw it my stacks about dry anyway.

Post River------ Me: ALL-IN Them: CALL

They win with two pair: 77 33

My Thoughts: Unreal, the guy calls a 4x raise with 73 offsuit and the dealer gives him the hand. I give up.

So, let me know what you think. Is calling the worst starting hands the secret to being a successful poker player?
    Last edited by warpednexus; 11-22-13 at 06:21 PM.

jayc88
    Update your status
    jayc88's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1151

the secret is being smart and unpredictable.
    If you only put your chips in the middle of the table with premium hands, any good player will pick you apart easlily.

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

You have to mix it up. Fold pocket aces, reraise 82 offsuite. Bet on the river with nothing. These are tricks I use to beat the sharps.
    Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 1 time . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Koldazzice

Foxx
    Foxx's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11854

You obviously suck and are unlucky too. Bad combination. You should quit now.

ROFLcopter
    ROFLcopter's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1284

You're a tight player and predictable, raising with only premium hands. I'd call your raises with garbage too and hope to bust you.

SharkAA
    SharkAA's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6282

Quote Originally Posted by warpednexus View Post
    Hand 1:

Blinds------------- 50/100
    Stacks----------- Me: 3000 Them 2000
    Hole cards-------- Me: Kc Kh Them: 10d 8h
    Pre-flop --------- Me: raise 5x(500) Them: CALL

Why the 5x raise? it's OK to raise 2, 2.2, 2.5, 3x, no need to raise so big, because many players will recognize you have a monster.
    Community Cards----- Kd 6s 2h

My thoughts: Hell yeah, flopped a set. No chance for a straight or flush draw on his end.

Pre-turn---------- Me: Pot Raise (1000) Them: CALL

It's a pretty dry board, so why betting, if you can rope him??? You can check here with the expectation to get a bet.

Turn Card-------- 7c

My thoughts: sweet, that takes away the flush draw. Maybe he has pocket AA, I still have him beat. Can't possibly
    be fishing for a straight, he would have folded already.

Pre-river------------ Me : ALL-IN Them: CALL
    River Card---------- 9s

They win with straight--6,7,8,9,10

My Thoughts: WTF!!!! Are you fuking kidding me? How the hell do you call a 5x raise pre-flop with
    10,8 offsuit? And even worse how do you call a pot raise with only 3 to a straight
    after flop? BULLSHIIT!! I was pissed.

Hand 2:

Blinds------- 75/150
    Stacks------- Me: 1600 Them: 4300
    Hole Cards----- Me: Ac Ks Them: 7d 3c
    Pre-Flop------- Me: 4x Raise (600) Them: CALL

You had 1600 behind, blinds were 75/150 and that is a no brainer situation-push all-in w/ a bit more than 10 BBs. Raising 4x doesn't do you any good... what will you do, if you miss the flop completely???
    My Thoughts: Great here we go again

Community Cards---------Kc 7h 3d

My Thoughts: I have high pair with big kicker. No flush draw yet, possible straight if they called 3,4 or 4,5 suited

Pre-Turn------ Me: BET (450) Them:CALL

My Thoughts: Jezuz, what the hell is he fishing for this time.

Turn Card------ Js

My thoughts---- I don't know what this guy is fishing for, But maybe he flopped a SET, I'll let him tell me.

Pre-river-------- Me: CHECK Them: CHECK

My thoughts: oooooookkkkkkk? a check? either he's slow playing or fishing.

River Card------2d

My Thoughts: Good no possible straight or flush. No full house possible.
    If he's got a set he's slow playing. Screw it my stacks about dry anyway.

Post River------ Me: ALL-IN Them: CALL

They win with two pair: 77 33

My Thoughts: Unreal, the guy calls a 4x raise with 73 offsuit and the dealer gives him the hand. I give up.

So, let me know what you think. Is calling the worst starting hands the secret to being a successful poker player?
    The answer to your question is NO.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY
    daneblazer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5652

Points Awarded:

JuicedUp gave daneblazer 2 Betpoint(s) for this post.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Poker is a game of chance just like craps

Look at poker tourney results around Country...new names weekly

If you like dice you will like poker

vividjohn45
    vividjohn45's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    You have to mix it up. Fold pocket aces, reraise 82 offsuite. Bet on the river with nothing. These are tricks I use to beat the sharps.
    when do you fold pocket aces? preflop?

vividjohn45
    vividjohn45's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 578

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Poker is a game of chance just like craps

Look at poker tourney results around Country...new names weekly

If you like dice you will like poker
    not totally true jj. the best poker players rise to the top.

eidolon
    USA
    eidolon's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 15766

dont bet your hand

TheMetsSuck
    TheMetsSuck's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1476

you fold pocket aces preflop if you are in a double or nothing sit and go with 6 guys out of 10 left and the other big stack at the tables shoves you all in and there are a few tiny stacks lingering on the bubble.

mikejamm
    mikejamm's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1500

Quote Originally Posted by pavyracer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vividjohn45 View Post
    Fuk'in never, that's when! Like anybody in their right mind would fold pocket rockets! Look warp, you seems like a pretty nice guy. But a word of advice, this is SBR fuk you up the ass bullshit lucky donk poker! Don't count on anything being "traditional" in playing sense here.

Just ask the dip ship known here by the screen name "auto donk", god's gift to lunch box donkey fuker lucky. Of course to hear him say it, he thinks he's the white Phil Ivey, and he is, in his wettest fuk'in cream dream.
    And two, don't ever let anyone know what your playing style is. Big mistake, even if it's just asking for advice, most of these idiots on here with the exception of maybe 5 real players, don't even have a fuk'in clue to begin with. Poker is a game of reads, that means the only way you learn it is over time. Learning and watching what dumb ass and smart players do. And even then some dumb fuk idiot is still gonna call your AA hole cards with 6, 2 os and flop trips, str8, or boat on you.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Quote Originally Posted by vividjohn45 View Post
    I think I've folded them purposely preflop twice in my lifetime. I was short stacked on the bubble in a satellite tournament and 3 people were already all in. Had a better chance of moving on with a fold and letting one of the 3 bust. There's some final table scenarios where you could argue folding it pf, but these situations are so rare and debatable even then

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

It depends on the occasion. If you want to move up in the table you can fold pocket aces if the big stack is pushing you all in and there are 2-3 small stacks below you.

Also if you are a big stack you re-raise small stacks with horrible hands and bet on the river with air.

Do I have to teach you all my tricks newbies?

jbreezy
    jbreezy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 31

Cant be result oriented

BestPlay2day
    BestPlay2day's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 5075

They are playing like this because it's free SBR chips. If we were playing with real money, no one would play like that.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

always remember most poker pros end up flat broke

nothing more to say about poker and a game of chance

tatddy
    tatddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 608

Dupp

tatddy
    tatddy's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 608

Didn't read...post too long. But from the title...

Yes bad players are tougher to beat at a fullish table. Can not make moves against them. Short handed they are dead $ though.

dlunc3
    dlunc3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1076

Much tougher

aznbluff
    Update your status
    aznbluff's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 722

Learn the game and you will truly understand why you want to be playing with weaker players and how exploitable they are.

If you can't beat bad players, you would get killed at even SSNL online (25-200NL). It doesn't even make logical sense at all that you think it would be better to play good players compared to fish.

I've been playing poker for ~6 years now, 3 of which semi-pro. It's given me a lot of opportunity in life that would otherwise not have been there. You only lose if you suck, which 99% of the player pool does post-rake, pre-rakeback. Thing about poker is everyone thinks they are better at it than they actually are.

daneblazer
    Most Well Rounded POY

Listen to yourself. Yea, I beat Phil Galfond and Todd Brunson on the regular but put me at a table of 60/2 stations and I can't win.

Unreal. Based on this logic good players only beat good players too I guess.

mikejamm
    mikejamm's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 1500

Quote Originally Posted by daneblazer View Post
    I think I've folded them purposely preflop twice in my lifetime. I was short stacked on the bubble in a satellite tournament and 3 people were already all in. Had a better chance of moving on with a fold and letting one of the 3 bust. There's some final table scenarios where you could argue folding it pf, but these situations are so rare and debatable even then
    Totally agree with you dane, if the scenario might include you moving on with a few short stacks already in. Still, one might argue that you use aggression here and the opportunity to increase your chip stack. Considering the astronomical odds of of how often you're gonna see AA pre flop and the ability to flop a set or better, you gotta gotta go for it.