ChalkyDog
    Buy the ticket, take the ride.
    ChalkyDog's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 13

Why College Basketball will be better than the NBA.

Taken From Buzzfead: http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjkiebus/15-...etter-than-the

Formatted for Players Talk by: Me.

1. The Cathedrals.

Most college basketball teams don’t play in arenas named after airlines, banks and cell phone companies. They play places like Cameron Indoor, Assembly Hall, Phog Allen Fieldhouse and Pauley Pavilion — courts so filled with history and tradition it’s like playing a game in a national monument. The fans aren’t corporate season ticket owners and celebrities. The seats and bleachers — yes, bleachers — are filled with students, alumni and locals who support the hometown team. These gyms are basketball meccas. Places fans dream of visiting before they die. No one says that about the BMO Harris Bradley Center in Milwaukee.

2. The Rivalries.

Rivalries in the NBA are fleeting. They seem to change every couple years with fluctuation of the free agent market. In the NBA it doesn’t matter what jersey you wear or city you play for because the rivalry is between the players (e.g. Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett’s rivalry with the Miami Heat). College rivalries are fueled by history, hate, competition and proximity. Fans would sell the naming rights to their first-born child for tickets to see Duke versus North Carolina or Louisville versus Kentucky.

3. The Villains.

]

Who is the biggest villain in the NBA? LeBron James? Dwight Howard? Metta World Peace? Honestly, who cares? World Peace fought an entire arena and no one cares anymore. All seven diehard Cleveland Cavalier fans have moved on from whole LeBron ordeal. Howard is a whiny nuisance, not a villain. Meanwhile in college, one of the best players in the country has served jail time, been caught with cocaine, and parties with fans after games. The head coach of one of the most historic programs in the country leaves recruiting violations everywhere he goes and may actually go into selling snake oil as a second career.

4. The Stressed-Out Fans.

When do you see fans react like this during a regular season NBA game? Critics like to say the regular season doesn’t matter in college basketball because of the unpredictability of the NCAA tournament — tell that to this kid.

5. The Weird Fans.

You want weird? College basketball has that in spades — like this Michigan fan dressed as a Teletubby realizing he just embarrassed himself on national television.

6. The Old Fans.

I see your fairweather fans like Spike Lee and raise you an old turtleneck-clad alumni rocking an vintage polyester warm up while protesting a bad call.

7. Gus Johnson.

He could make a trip to the dry cleaner sound the greatest achievement of your life.

8. Bill Raftery.

Gus Johnson’s new partner at Fox Sports 1 is already a legend. Together they will be the most exciting — or excitable — announcing team in sports.

9. The Coaches.

Unlike the NBA where coaches are ego-managers who are discarded like egg shells whenever a temperamental player is unhappy with the offense, college coaches are king. People like Tom Izzo and Jim Boeheim build programs, recruit teams and build chemistry. Most importantly, they actually coach — which could only be said for about a handful of guys in the NBA.

10. The End-Of-The-Bench Goofballs.

These guys are practice players who will never collect a play check for playing basketball, but each show more enthusiasm than twenty multi-millionaires sitting at the end of the bench in the NBA.

11. The Bands.

Need I say more?

12. The Traditions.

Imagine throwing toilet paper on a court in the NBA? You’d get arrested for interrupting whatever Rihanna song is playing while Chris Paul dribbles down the court.

13. The Heartbreak.

I know most people made full of Adam Morrison for crying on the court following Gonzaga’s loss to UCLA in the NCAA tournament, but you’ll never see emotion like this in the NBA. The most emotion you’ll see is MAYBE a player refuses to shake hands at the end of a playoff series.

14. The Cinderellas.

In college, the underdog can ACTUALLY win it all.

15. The Madness.

Just watch the video.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjkiebus/15-...etter-than-the

Nomination(s):
    This post was nominated 4 times . To view the nominated thread please click here. People who nominated: Ra77er, Vegas39, Powderguy, and Louisvillekid1

ChalkyDog

Yeah, I just Pauley Poker-ed, PhillyFlyers'd it.

Good summary with gifs.

Arizona sightings: 2. Sean Miller in "Send it in Jerome" and The dancing fruitcake from our band.

Big Bear
    Love your neighbor
    Big Bear's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 14

the main reason is games are shorter

and we all have short attention spans

Cuse0323
    Cuse0323's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 87

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1800

Always has been except maybe a few years here and there in the 90's/early 80's

Filmoz
    Filmoz's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 793

Quote Originally Posted by ChalkyDog View Post
    Yeah, I just Pauley Poker-ed, PhillyFlyers'd it.

Good summary with gifs.

Arizona sightings: 2. Sean Miller in "Send it in Jerome" and The dancing fruitcake from our band.
    Love that guy. He was twerking on the jumbotron at the Cal Poly game. Also, I think the Ooh Ahh Man retired. The end of an era.

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by k13 View Post
    Always has been except maybe a few years here and there in the 90's/early 80's
    ALWAYS!

NCAA had one bad year, last year, and the NCAA overreacted and tried to "fix" it.

Only thing that needed to, and still needs to happen is a shortened shot clock.

Not playing defense will not make college ball better.

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by Filmoz View Post
    Love that guy. He was twerking on the jumbotron at the Cal Poly game. Also, I think the Ooh Ahh Man retired. The end of an era.
    End of an era, indeed.

His health has gone to shit, and he is in a bat spot financially.

That said, I would not be surprised to see him make a perfectly timed reappearance. Him doing it every game last year didn't do him justice.

Filmoz

End of an era, indeed.

His health has gone to shit, and he is in a bat spot financially.

That said, I would not be surprised to see him make a perfectly timed reappearance. Him doing it every game last year didn't do him justice.
    Yeah poor guy has Parkinson's, I wish him all the best. He really defined what it meant to be a fan and be loyal to a team.

Also, to be clear, when I was mentioned the guy twerking on the jumbotron at the Cal Poly game, I was referring to the band guy, not Sean Miller. Although, I would find the latter far more entertaining.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Its coming back slowly although college hoops will ever be what it once was

all the great players leave in 1 year

tony_come
    tony_come's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1122

Final four teams should have best of 3 series

bubblebuttluv
    Derek Jeter, the best shortstop ever.
    bubblebuttluv's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1897

College sports are ALWAYS better than pro sports.

In pro sports you get a paycheck every week as long as you do just enough to stay on the team. You never can tell if teams really care about winning on a particular night.

In college every game can hold importance and if a player fukks up, it is just the next man up. A kid will lose a scholarship for playing like shit.

No one should ever try to convince someone that a guy like Roddy White cares more about winning a game than a guy like Kevin Ware.

I'm coming to realize more and more that pro sports really are bullshit. I like the NHL because effort is almost always guarenteed because of the sheer pride hockey players have, but other pro sports are bullshit.

thetrinity
    penetrate me to tears
    thetrinity's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5536

Quote Originally Posted by jjgold View Post
    Its coming back slowly although college hoops will ever be what it once was

all the great players leave in 1 year
    the rule changes are a start at least, need a few more tweaks

ChalkyDog

Just realized the reason for the semantics issue.

I failed in the thread title. The term "will" should not be there.

NCAA is clearly better than the NBA.

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by bubblebuttluv View Post
    College sports are ALWAYS better than pro sports.

In pro sports you get a paycheck every week as long as you do just enough to stay on the team. You never can tell if teams really care about winning on a particular night.

In college every game can hold importance and if a player fukks up, it is just the next man up. A kid will lose a scholarship for playing like shit.

No one should ever try to convince someone that a guy like Roddy White cares more about winning a game than a guy like Kevin Ware.

I'm coming to realize more and more that pro sports really are bullshit. I like the NHL because effort is almost always guarenteed because of the sheer pride hockey players have, but other pro sports are bullshit.
    As a big ML favorite player that you are, I can understand how much you stress that effort.

I only play ML Faves in key spots that guarantee effort. Playoffs, Bowl games, etc being basically it.

Filmoz

Just realized the reason for the semantics issue.

NCAA is clearly better than the NBA.
    I've always like college hoops way better, and it's a shame so many people, especially young people, overlook or only pay passing attention to it while favoring the WWE-like NBA.

I remember one time a couple years ago I was hanging out with some peeps and it was like february or march, when both basketball seasons are starting to ramp up. Some guy mentions that there are "a lot of great games on today," and I was like "oh yeah for sure, there's Louisville/Marquette, and [bunch of other college games]" and he looked at me all awkward and was like "uhhh, yeah that's cool but I was talking about NBA games." It wasn't so much that he preferred NBA as the fact that he literally looked at me like I was a clueless dork for not preferring NBA. He could not have cared less about the college games on that day.

I/O
    I/O's Avatar Become A Pro!

I do favor the college game more than the pro game. Let's be realistic here...

It's nice to see humble young kids improve their game and grow before they become complete arrogant self absorbed assholes. (See Barkley's NBA career, NOT the tv dancing bear)

Good thing college basketball is there to provide a fall back for coaches that leave for the almighty dollar only to run back to the college game when they FAIL in the pro game. Brings a second life to their egos. (Pitino, Calipari, etc)

Even a school with decades of worthless sports programs can get a few talented players and/or coach and make millions and suddenly be relevant. (see Duke)

The shelf life on the Bill Raftery act expired long ago.

Gives weekend warriors a chance to revisit their youth for decades. Nothing like psycho alum in any sport.

Ghenghis Kahn
    Best Baller on SBR
    Ghenghis Kahn's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 2261

photo VIDEOBOMB_zps28008811.gif

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7635

Ncaab is only good during march madness.

ChalkyDog

Quote Originally Posted by lakerboy View Post
    Ncaab is only good during march madness.
    This is the general response from guys who didn't go to college, or grow up in a college town.

NBA is only good in the playoffs is a universal truth regardless your upbringing.

lakerboy
    lakerboy's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7635

This is the general response from guys who didn't go to college, or grow up in a college town.

NBA is only good in the playoffs is a universal truth regardless your upbringing.
    I watch ncaab march tourney and nba playoffs. Its the only time that the games matter.

You mad bro
    You mad bro's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: -23

maybe you should watch more of it to help you out gambling wise ... cuz u suck

InTheDrink
    Drinker of the Year
    InTheDrink's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 527

artyfudgepacker
    artyfudgepacker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6480

I agree 100%
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkydog View Post
    just realized the reason for the semantics issue.

Ncaa is clearly better than the nba.

artyfudgepacker
    artyfudgepacker's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 6480

nba is only good at playoff time

convick
    convick's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 3683

Quote Originally Posted by artyfudgepacker View Post
    nba is only good at playoff time
    And college is only good during March.

jjgold

last night is why it will never be good as the nba

horrific displays of basketball skills

A bunch of HS kids that cannot shoot

d2bets
    d2bets's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 21629

You missed the "Always" in your title. I was expecting a list of why college would become better than NBA, not why it already was better. Big difference.

jjgold

Quality wise sub par to nba

Excitement wise better in college

EaglesPhan36
    EaglesPhan36's Avatar Become A Pro!

The NBA is an unattractive product and has been for the better part of the last 10 years or more. Offenses have two sets. Iso and pick & roll. Boring. College is better because of the emotion and diversity. It'd be even better if they forced players to stay at least two years, which in turn might make the NBA better because you'd have players come in who know some basic f-ing fundamentals of basketball and life.

These one and done guys, maybe 25% of them have the skill set and mental capacity to function in the NBA their first year. It's why the product sucks and the league is dumbed down with no creativity.

jjgold

Eagles strong post

3 years in college would be better

It's why NCAAF and NFL way better than hoops

Goat Milk
    Goat Milk's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 10176

The coaches? Uh, most college coaches would get dumped on in the nba. Even some of the elite college coaches have tried to coach in the nba, and have failed miserably. It's harder to coach grown men then teenagers.

If Pop came and took Caliparis place and made his team run real nba plays and schemes, UK would beat Uconn by about 40. With Caliparri, Uconn should win.

End of argument.