ShamsWoof10
    ShamsWoof10's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 24

Will there be a 50 yr. old starter (NFL & NBA)

In the next 20 years do you think the NFL or NBA will have a starter who is 50 years old or more..?

I started this thread due to the Scottie Pippin story... I am not sure if his age matters because I do not know what technology he has access to.. They made such a big deal out of steriods in the last 10 years and that is Kool Aid compared to Growth Hormones which have only recently got attention although it's been around and used for decades... Well what access do they have to bio or nano. genetic therapy..? As I said in the post under "what stocks to buy" we have a tech. boom coming that will make the net look like the invention of the spoon...

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

I doubt it especially in those sports, maybe a real tall guy could get by for 10 minutes a game if he was strong and powerful.

A QB could get killed unless he had good protection. I would think a 50 year old qb has a better shot though than a 50 year old baskets player.

slash
    slash's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 11532

How about the Danish kicker Morten Andersen?

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

I think he's 47 right now Slash, and still looks better than some of the kickers they have in the league right now IMO

Julio Franco turns 50 this year I think, and this is the last year of his contract with the Mets.

ShamsWoof10

If Morton Anderson took care of himself like Julio he would easily make it.... Back in 97' I saw a 50 yr. old kicker in, what was then the world league, try and 52 yard FG and had PLENTY OF LEG but wide right.. I say it happens for sure...

Don't forget about shit like this...

The Korea Times
    http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/tech...9433511780.htm

Anti-Aging Molecule Discovered
    By Kim Tae-gyu
    Staff Reporter
    A team of South Korean scientists on Sunday claimed to have created a ``cellular fountain of youth,¡¯¡¯ or a small molecule, which enables human cells to avoid aging and dying.

The team, headed by Prof. Kim Tae-kook at the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology, argued the newly-synthesized molecule, named CGK733, can even make cells younger.

The findings were featured by the Britain-based Nature Chemical Biology online early today and will be printed as a cover story in the journal¡¯s offline edition early next month.

``All cells face an inevitable death as they age. On this path, cells became lethargic and in the end stop dividing but we witnessed that CGK733 can block the process,¡¯¡¯ Kim said.

``We also found the synthetic compound can reverse aging, by revitalizing already-lethargic cells. Theoretically, this can give youth to the elderly via rejuvenating cells,¡¯¡¯ the 41-year-old said.

Kim expected that the CGK733-empowered drugs that keep cells youthful far beyond their normal life span would be commercialized in less than 10 years.

Other researchers here heaped praises on the discovery but they were cautious about the practical therapeutic application of the new substance.

``Obviously, it is an innovative finding. But we need to see whether or not CGK733 could really rejuvenate cells inside human bodies without generating side effects,¡¯¡¯ Prof. Kim Sung-hoon at Seoul National University said.

Prof. Kim Tae-kook, however, is confident about the commercial viability of CGK733, believing the efficiency of the material was created using state-of-the-art magnetic nano-probe technology.

``We have the magnet-associated technology to identify molecular targets inside living cells, which allowed us to examine the mechanisms of CGK733 directly,¡¯¡¯ Kim said.

``Unlike other research teams that must make candidates materials for drugs without being able to see their intra-cell activities, we know the precise mechanism of CGK733. So we have the better chance of making a success of the substance,¡¯¡¯ he continued.

Indeed, Kim basked in global recognition last June when he and his associates developed a technology dubbed MAGIC, short for magnetism-based interactive capture.

MAGIC uses fluorescent materials to check whether any drug can mix with targeted proteins inside the cell. The results were globally recognized by being printed by the U.S.-based journal Science at the time.

``MAGIC is kind of a source technology to see inside cells. Based on the method, we also found a pair of promising substances that can deal with cancers,¡¯¡¯ Kim said.

knicknut
    knicknut's Avatar Become A Pro!

NFL? Only kickers
    NBA? Probably not
    NHL? Yeah, they seem to have lots of longevity (never got why--it's a rough sport! Low impact I guess?)
    MLB? Julio Franco's its best shot

pags11
    pags11's Avatar Become A Pro!

how old was Steve Deberg when he retired?...he was close to fifty wasn't he?...

ShamsWoof10

Are you guys forgetting Warren Moon..? He was 45 or 46.. He had that great yr. in Minny. at 41 I think... 50 is not that big of a stretch and no one has even mentioned the article.. shit with that 90 isn't a stretch.. but we the pensents of the inferior bloodline will never have it available to us...

pags11

shams, warren moon is a good call...most people didn't realize how old he was, but he spent a good ammount of time in the CFL before playing in the NFL...

chano
    chano's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by knicknut View Post
    NFL? Only kickers
    NBA? Probably not
    NHL? Yeah, they seem to have lots of longevity (never got why--it's a rough sport! Low impact I guess?)MLB? Julio Franco's its best shot

NHL ??? Are you crazy, nobobay will ever do it in this sport. I guess you are not knowledgeable about this sport (no offense).

Bill Dozer
    @BillDozer110
    Bill Dozer's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 21705

Before the NBA dumped the half court offense altogether Wilt Chamberlin was talking about coming back or at least saying he could if he wanted to. Wasn't Kareem trying to score another paycheck years after hangin em up?

We will see a big center do it. Mutumbo is probably 50 right now.

bigboydan
    bigboydan's Avatar Become A Pro!

Actually Bill, Mutumbo is like 40 right now.

knicknut
    knicknut's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by chano View Post
    NHL ??? Are you crazy, nobobay will ever do it in this sport. I guess you are not knowledgeable about this sport (no offense).
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordie_Howe

A number of other players (Chelios, Messier, Moe Roberts) have played well into their forties as well.

How's your foot taste?
    Last edited by knicknut; 03-07-07 at 12:14 AM.

Razz
    Razz's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by bigboydan View Post
    Actually Bill, Mutumbo is like 40 right now.
    Yeah, and Danny Almonte was 12 when his team won the LLWS.

chano
    chano's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by knicknut View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gordie_Howe

A number of other players (Chelios, Messier, Moe Roberts) have played well into their forties as well.

How's your foot taste?
    We are not talking about the past. We are talking about it happening in the future. In case you haven't noticed, the game has changed quite alot. Please read the topic we are discussing before you run your mouth off.

JoshW
    JoshW's Avatar Become A Pro!

Good topic, I learned quite a bit. Before I opened I would say impossible, but kickers is pretty obvious area where it can happen.

Hulu
    Hulu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Its even tough for kickers to do this. In the CFL Lui Passaglia kicked for BC until age 47 but in his last 2 seasons his range was reduced to about 45 yards max. They had another kicker on the roster for longer attempts and kickoffs but kept Lui for his great accuracy. Even though kickers don't take the regular pounding their legs tend to wear out after a while.

I can't see anyone making it past 50 in football. If you ever run into an ex-footballer who played a long career, they are a complete mess. Many can't walk without a cane or walker.

ShamsWoof10

Let me put this in a differant perspective... If the stats are right and it's true that the average person in 1900 lived to be 42 years of age..(which I am not sure I totally buy but anyway this is an official stat) but.. If it was the case then Darryl Green at 42 years old 3 years ago would be the most physcially conditioned athletic on the planet back then.. So that would be like a 75 year old being the most conditioned on the planet in 2100 and since technology is an exponential curve it should be much sooner then that... This is without technology like the above article on a molecule developed to make bio-cells younger... D. Green ran an obstacle like competition a couple years back against some younger NFL players and that guy was ripped and still one of the fastest...

BTW what drugs were the lines makers on when they made the PISTONS a pk against DENVER...?

pags11

yeah, how old is Morten Anderson?...

Hulu
    Hulu's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 90

Andersen will be 47 this season I believe. He is still doing well but its hard to see him going another 3 years.

ShamsWoof10

M. Anderson is a very poor example because he is so out of shape... If he was in shape like Juilo Franco he could easily do it... Players get too confortable and stop working as hard I think..or some do anyway... Remember the sport doesn't change as was suggested by a post (NHL) the players do... They are more fit now with a better diet.. What improvments will they make in the future and will it make a big of a differance as it has so far.. Example: Jim Hart St. Louis Cardinals was 37 in 84' I think... Warren Moon AND Darryl Green started at 41 and were more effective then the 37 year old Jim Hart...

pags11

sham, the only thing he needs to keep in shape is his leg...

hulu, I thought the same thing about him 7 years ago...he could make it three more as long as he nails everything from 40 yards and in...

ShamsWoof10

Not true... he needs his whole body to function... I used to kick and I coached it for over 7 years... When your body is well taken care of you simply last longer... That is the only differance between today's players and the players of the past.. The game didn't change by itself they changed it... Better workout programs, dieting, etc.

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4567

If Julio Franco dont do it in MLB, then we wont see it. Lost of interest has something to do with it too, not just physical ability.

ShamsWoof10

I completely agree with the loss of interest point... VERY TRUE... I DO NOT agree that if Franko dont do it then we won't see it... That is quite narrow sited my friend if you would have ask someone in the 80's if you would see a 45 Yr. old NFL player or 50 Yr. old MLB they would look at you like you were an alien.. hehe oh my bad no offense... I have asked people that back then as well and I got the same answers for the most part...

pags11

shams, the kickers are the least in-shape players on the team...if you are gifted with a golden leg (and mental toughness) like anderson is, you can easily kick until you are 50...

ShamsWoof10

How about H. Walker..???

This is gonna happen god damnit it's not IF but WHEN...

EmpireMaker
    EmpireMaker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 451

Walker is probably better than a few starting RB's right now at 48 and is clearly in great shape. Don't know how long he would last but I think he could play RB.

k13
    k13's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1794

Brett Favre.

str
    Nothing's easy
    str's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 68471

HOF'er Satchel Paige pitched 3 shutout innings in his last game for the K.C.Athletics at the age of 60 in 1965.
    His actual birthday was never formally proven.

ttwarrior1
    ttwarrior1's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 9752

baseball players have already had 50 year olds. Hershel walker plans on playing, i doubt in nba, but some of these teams could use a 50 year old that can make a free throw