No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner
    No coincidences's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 16541

*If* Michigan State advances to the Big Ten title game, they can beat Ohio State

Watched almost every minute of both teams this year. Spartans are really making progress offensively, and they have one of the best defenses in the country (I say one of, because they still lack the speed of some SEC squads).

Wonder what the line would be? Spartans still have to get through their two-game road stretch at Nebraska and Northwestern. But they're clicking on all cylinders right now, and are becoming a much more complete team now that Cook is settling down the QB situation nicely.

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

They look pretty good

solid defense too

Might be close

GoBlue23
    Penetrate
    GoBlue23's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3169

Northwestern is a broken team

Nebraska has no QB and will drop at least one more game

All they need is a split to cruise to the title game

RavensFan2k3
    Handicappin' like I'm Trappin'
    RavensFan2k3's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 18710

Agreed

TexasJayhawk
    TexasJayhawk's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 273

Definitely agree. MSU getting hot at the right time...defense is unfnbelievable

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

Michigan -48 rushing yards.

broadway6
    on to the next one
    broadway6's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1338

big fan of this MSU team... would love to see them play Ohio State.

texhooper
    texhooper's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 7870

do they have a neutral spot for the big ten title game?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by texhooper View Post
    do they have a neutral spot for the big ten title game?
    I'm assuming it's Indy again?

ShogunRua
    Update Status
    ShogunRua's Avatar Become A Pro!

Defense is sick. They have the size/front 7 to completely dominate most rush oriented teams. On top of that, they have 2 very good corners (one of them being a freshman!). Offense is looking 'better' lately but lets not get too excited. If you watched the last few games it's pretty obvious they are still struggling. Lots of their points are setup by their defense and great field position. I will say that it's a shame they didn't play Notre Dame a little later in the season though. I think if these teams played now, MSU wins for sure.

Wilfred
    Wilfred's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 528

Quote Originally Posted by ShogunRua View Post
    Defense is sick. They have the size/front 7 to completely dominate most rush oriented teams. On top of that, they have 2 very good corners (one of them being a freshman!). Offense is looking 'better' lately but lets not get too excited. If you watched the last few games it's pretty obvious they are still struggling. Lots of their points are setup by their defense and great field position. I will say that it's a shame they didn't play Notre Dame a little later in the season though. I think if these teams played now, MSU wins for sure.
    For the Record MSU should have won that game. I hate to blame officials, but there were several huge miscalls against MSU most being pass interference.

And Ohio State wins that game

jimminn
    jimminn's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5771

I will be betting on Ohio State if this game happens unless the point spread is over 14

HOT WINGS
    HOT WINGS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3651

Quote Originally Posted by jimminn View Post
    I will be betting on Ohio State if this game happens unless the point spread is over 14
    You will be on Ohio State then for sure. Line will be way below 14 if they play. It will be around -7.5 to -8.5.

HOT WINGS
    HOT WINGS's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3651

Spartans came to play yesterday like they have been every year against Michigan with Dantonio. If not for that last minute 4th down conversion last year it would be 6 straight. This MSU D is legit and if they can continue to keep this running game going with there O-Line dominating in the trenches who knows. I think they could hang with OSU, but always worry about refs taking over high profile games. MSU plays physical on WR so they need refs that don't call the hand checking and little BS like what happened in that ND game.

Russinat
    Russinat's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5809

MSU would be OSU on neutral field or champ game. D is serious good and the QB is coming around. I hadn't seen a QB take a beating like Gardner in quite a while. Note to self, remember that when analyzing Michigan game next week...

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

I'm not so sure about this Coin.

Deuce
    Eddie Mush
    Deuce's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 3519

Team weak on offense. They haven't seen an offense yet anything close to osu either.

t-wizzle
    t-wizzle's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 2191

Well it looks like this game will happen barring a major Ohio State upset.

Line should be anywhere from OSU -7.5 to 9.5 right??

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by t-wizzle View Post
    Well it looks like this game will happen barring a major Ohio State upset.

Line should be anywhere from OSU -7.5 to 9.5 right??
    Probably similar to the MSU/Wisconsin line two years ago when the Badgers won by 3 or whatever.

Smoke
    Smoke's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1510

Dumbest thread ever. Spartans offense nowhere near the engine that is buckeyes. No wonder you went bust

pavyracer
    MOLON LABE
    pavyracer's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 410

We will find out how bad OSU is in that game. Great defenses make good offenses look bad.

billysink
    billysink's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by No coincidences View Post
    Watched almost every minute of both teams this year. Spartans are really making progress offensively, and they have one of the best defenses in the country (I say one of, because they still lack the speed of some SEC squads).

Wonder what the line would be? Spartans still have to get through their two-game road stretch at Nebraska and Northwestern. But they're clicking on all cylinders right now, and are becoming a much more complete team now that Cook is settling down the QB situation nicely.
    today it would be OSU -4

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
    Dumbest thread ever. Spartans offense nowhere near the engine that is buckeyes. No wonder you went bust
    Considering the fact that you never get anything right ever -- especially when it's an "original" thought -- I'd say this is good for MSU.

teaserpleaser
    teaserpleaser's Avatar Become A Pro!

best defense ive seen but can they score enough Langford is meh and cook is meh ....avg to good players be fun though to see though that buckeye offense vs that d

onlooker
    I'm still watching...
    onlooker's Avatar SBR PRO
    Betpoints: 4651

GoBlue77
    GoBlue77's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 19052

Buckeyes will pound the sh1t out of Michigan St lol.... glad so many of you think they have a "shot"...in the words of Richie Incognito, "ni*gah please!"

jjgold
    jjgold's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 10

Well time will tell

I think game will be close

what will line be?

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by GoBlue77 View Post
    Buckeyes will pound the sh1t out of Michigan St lol.... glad so many of you think they have a "shot"...in the words of Richie Incognito, "ni*gah please!"
    Says "GoBlue77."

How's your team doing, champ?

Tommy Karate
    Update your status
    Tommy Karate's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 12940

gotta love osu...airing it out up 35.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Spartans are +6. Sounds like they might be Rose Bowl bound win or lose, though, which is interesting. Their motivation dips a little, while Ohio State is now in line to play for a national championship with a victory. Didn't expect those wrinkles before this weekend, but the Alabama and Wisconsin losses have opened new doors for this game.

Nicksweger42
    Nicksweger42's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 1653

I think Ohio State's possibility of a national title bid fills that motivation void for Michigan State. Would love it at +7 but think Michigan State will make this game ugly enough to cover. Don't think Braxton Miller has ever faced a defense of this caliber.

uxley.2
    Update your status
    uxley.2's Avatar Become A Pro!

Quote Originally Posted by Nicksweger42 View Post
    I think Ohio State's possibility of a national title bid fills that motivation void for Michigan State. Would love it at +7 but think Michigan State will make this game ugly enough to cover. Don't think Braxton Miller has ever faced a defense of this caliber.
    If Alabama didn't lose last week, I would have been on MSU if the number approached +7. Beating a hated rival on literally the last offensive play of the game to win the 24th straight game is so physically, mentally and emotionally draining that I don't even know if Urban could rally the troops for another fight. I think the carrot at the end of the stick (win and you're playing for the BCS title) is more than enough to get these guys jacked for practice this week and most important, the actual game.

I also agree completely about Braxton not having faced a defense this good. That being said, MSU hasn't played an offense like OSU maybe ever. If MSU can keep this game in the 20s, they may have a shot. I just don't see any way OSU (barring ejections to Hyde or the OL) scores less than 28. Conversely, I don't think MSU has (nor have they shown) the ability to pass the ball and OSU, anchored by Bosa, Bennett, Washington and Spence, form a very impressive D-line that hasn't given up much in the way of rushing yards, let alone rushing TDs.

Too many advantages for OSU here, IMHO.

LT Profits
    LT Profits's Avatar Become A Pro!
    Betpoints: 5179

Ohio State now only -5.5. Interesting.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

The other issue with backing MSU is defending Braxton Miller on a fast track. Spartans haven't faced a mobile QB anywhere near his ability level this season, and have struggled defending that kind of player in the past.

On the other hand, OSU's pass defense has been atrocious this year. It'll be interesting to see how Connor Cook handles the big stage. This is basically the biggest game MSU has played in football since the Game of the Century with Notre Dame in '66.

No coincidences
    Baseball at The Corner

Quote Originally Posted by uxley.2 View Post
    Conversely, I don't think MSU has (nor have they shown) the ability to pass the ball
    Wait, what? Doesn't OSU rank like 81st in the nation in pass defense? Connor Cook has been pretty damn good since taking over the full-time reins at QB for MSU. He's thrown 17 TDs to just 4 INTs. MSU isn't an offensive juggernaut by any means, but given the fact that the Buckeyes have allowed 24 or more points five times in 12 games, it doesn't make much sense to say the Spartans won't be able to move the ball.

12 Last